news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop

Old 12-03-2010, 07:24 AM   #1
claaa7
Killer Bob

claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Default would you want a new A Tribe Called Quest album?

i've been spinning alot of Tribe again lately, one of the best hip-hop groups of all time - without a doubt. they have an amazing legacy with only 5 albums released and basically only a 12" single together since 1998. their catalouge is usually said to feature 3 classic albums but to me "Beats, Rhymes & Life" is extremely underrated and better than their debut. "The Love Movement" is another good album once i was willing to give it a fair chance but it's obviously a far cry from their classic round.

i don't think it would ever happen again, but it ain't impossible and they have been on the road together so in that essence they are still a group. all the members are still involved with music, Q-Tip has dropped some great albums and Phife Dawg's debut was solid as well. do you think they could re-create the magic in the studio if they took a shot at it or would they tarnish their legacy a little bit if they released an album that couldn't match any of their previous work? they did one single in 2003 together with Erykah Badu, but since then nothing has been released and i don't think Tip and Phife has even been rhyming on a beat together since then or have i missed something?

also Michael Rapaport's documentary about the group is said to be ready to go now, i've seen a 5 minute trailers and it looks real promising. he pretty much spent 2 years on the road with Tip, Ali, Phife and Jairobi so there is definitely gonna be a lot of great footage. the film is called "Beats, Rhymes And Fights".

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!
claaa7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:32 AM   #2
Tecknowledgist
PUTYOMONEYWHEREYOMOUTHIZ

Tecknowledgist Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tecknowledgist Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tecknowledgist Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tecknowledgist Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tecknowledgist Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tecknowledgist Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tecknowledgist Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tecknowledgist Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tecknowledgist Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tecknowledgist Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tecknowledgist Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

as long as ali shaheed is producing...i think they'll be able to stick to their formula and release great music but as soon as they start getting outside producers to "branch out" and "step outside the box" its going to fuck shit up, as it has with pretty much everyone who's ever tried it

i'm not worried about tip because the dude hasn't changed a bit since midnight marauders, can't really speak on phife since i haven't heard much from him since the love movement
Tecknowledgist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:47 AM   #3
angry!
Banned

angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)angry! Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

if they could get it togteher id love to hear it...

as is...

i cant wait to peep the doc...

q-tip out here sayin hes NOT in support of it...

probably due to the film makiin him look bad...

shapin up to be classic footage!!!!!

but real talk, if TRIBE dropped another album, and it sucked, it wouldnt tarnish their legacy at all... theyre bulletproof!!!!!!!!!!!
angry! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:15 AM   #4
fatboybrandon
Your fav. artist's artist

fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

I'm happy with Tribe's legacy as is, just like I was happy with EPMD's legacy up to Business Never Personal. Even if Tribe could release a classic today, I'm afraid it may go overlooked when you factor in today's record sales, then poor promotion and label support as a result.

I would want to see a decent amount of recognition for a new Tribe album if it dropped, but I'm afraid that today their music might be the type that is too much for many people's attention spans.

The music I get automatically delivered to my inbox from popular blogs weekly sounds alot like each other, many people following each other sounding like they want that next radio hit.

There is great hope for a new Tribe album overseas though, I notice how the international heads still appreciate the classic sound of the 80's/90's, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:24 AM   #5
MaskedAvenger
Secret Rival

MaskedAvenger Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MaskedAvenger Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MaskedAvenger Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MaskedAvenger Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MaskedAvenger Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MaskedAvenger Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MaskedAvenger Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MaskedAvenger Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MaskedAvenger Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MaskedAvenger Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MaskedAvenger Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Even thought I agree with fatboybrandon in that ATCQ has a perfect catalog as it is, I have to admit I would be mad hyped to hear new ATCQ stuff. I still bump them on the regular.

MaskedAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:30 AM   #6
Frank Sobotka
Veteran Member

Frank Sobotka five deadly venomsFrank Sobotka five deadly venomsFrank Sobotka five deadly venomsFrank Sobotka five deadly venomsFrank Sobotka five deadly venomsFrank Sobotka five deadly venomsFrank Sobotka five deadly venomsFrank Sobotka five deadly venomsFrank Sobotka five deadly venomsFrank Sobotka five deadly venoms

Still haven't listened to their entire catalogue.
Got Low End Theory & Midnight Marauders.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:41 AM   #7
J-DON
Veteran Member

J-DON iron monkeyJ-DON iron monkeyJ-DON iron monkeyJ-DON iron monkeyJ-DON iron monkey

Yes, definitely! Or at least a new Tip album VERY soon.
J-DON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:34 PM   #8
p-rok73
Veteran Member

p-rok73 prodigal sonp-rok73 prodigal sonp-rok73 prodigal sonp-rok73 prodigal sonp-rok73 prodigal sonp-rok73 prodigal son

If the original Tribe got together then maybe...their first three were classics, Love Movement was OK & Beats Rhymes & Life was the one I disliked the most. The last Q Tip album was very good IMO.
p-rok73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:39 PM   #9
MindzEye

MindzEye grasshopper

I think everyone would want a new Tribe ablum...but...I remember hearing in a Tip interview that they would all be down except they don't want to because they have issues with the record label they are on...i think he said they have one album left on their contract
MindzEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:46 PM   #10
p-rok73
Veteran Member

p-rok73 prodigal sonp-rok73 prodigal sonp-rok73 prodigal sonp-rok73 prodigal sonp-rok73 prodigal sonp-rok73 prodigal son

So are they still with Jive Records? Maybe Q Tip can release a "solo" album featuring a lot of Phife & Ali. Sort of like Ghost & Raekwon did with CLI & IRONMAN.
p-rok73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:01 PM   #11
LORD NOSE
The Smell of The Future

LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

yeah
Old 12-03-2010, 11:10 PM   #12
Hocmat

Hocmat shaolin monk

If Ali Shaheed handled the production I would buy it. I don't think the MCing would be what it used to be due to Q-Tip and Phife not being on a track together for so long. Wiki says that they still owe an album in their contract to Jive records. I'm not saying they should drop another album because their legacy is perfect where it is. If one dropped, I would buy it though.
Old 12-04-2010, 06:12 AM   #13
claaa7
Killer Bob

claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecknowledgist View Post
as long as ali shaheed is producing...i think they'll be able to stick to their formula and release great music but as soon as they start getting outside producers to "branch out" and "step outside the box" its going to fuck shit up, as it has with pretty much everyone who's ever tried it

i'm not worried about tip because the dude hasn't changed a bit since midnight marauders, can't really speak on phife since i haven't heard much from him since the love movement
exactly, the production is such a large part of the Tribe's sound so that even when Jay Dee brought his beats to the table it took away from the vibe (although they were really dope beats). i know Q-Tip said in interviews that he did ALL THE BEATS and everything about the production on all the Tribe albums except for Jay Dee and Skeff Anslem. i don't know why he would go on and say something like that if it wasn't true but i don't believe for a second Ali Shaheed hadn't alot to do with the creation of many beats on each and every album.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angry! View Post
if they could get it togteher id love to hear it...

as is...

i cant wait to peep the doc...

q-tip out here sayin hes NOT in support of it...

probably due to the film makiin him look bad...

shapin up to be classic footage!!!!!

but real talk, if TRIBE dropped another album, and it sucked, it wouldnt tarnish their legacy at all... theyre bulletproof!!!!!!!!!!!
wow, i didn't know Q-Tip wasn't supporting that movie, i bet it's for that exact reason you mentioned. he didn't exactly come off as the "good guy" in the trailer i saw, but everybody has their fights.

true about their catalouge though, it's like with LL. he can drop a shithole of an album every year and it's still not gonna take away his status as a legend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboybrandon View Post
I'm happy with Tribe's legacy as is, just like I was happy with EPMD's legacy up to Business Never Personal. Even if Tribe could release a classic today, I'm afraid it may go overlooked when you factor in today's record sales, then poor promotion and label support as a result.

I would want to see a decent amount of recognition for a new Tribe album if it dropped, but I'm afraid that today their music might be the type that is too much for many people's attention spans.

The music I get automatically delivered to my inbox from popular blogs weekly sounds alot like each other, many people following each other sounding like they want that next radio hit.

There is great hope for a new Tribe album overseas though, I notice how the international heads still appreciate the classic sound of the 80's/90's, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
i wouldn't think A Tribe could reach very high sales these days, there's not many that could and if they would do another album i would want them to stick with their guns and staying close to their original sound. i just don't see the kids today loving that type of music compared to what's the mainstream today.

but they do got a pretty big following since back in the days i would imagine and Q-Tip still sold pretty well with "The Renaissance" i think so with the right promotion they should be able to do decent numbers.

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!
claaa7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:28 AM   #14
CharlesJones
Veteran Member

CharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of fury

I wanna see that Tribe documentary. When is it coming out? LOL@Claaa7 saying QTip's solo albums are great hahahahahahahahahahaha. His albums are wack. Amplified is the only album of his i heard and i didn't like that. So i don't wanna hear his other albums. Phife's solo album is good. I wish he had done more solo albums. I'd like to hear a new Tribe album. P-rok73, you crazy saying Beats Rhymes And Life album sucks. That album is tight.
CharlesJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:36 PM   #15
Taskmaster2112
PRODIGAL SUN

Taskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
LOL@Claaa7 saying QTip's solo albums are great hahahahahahahahahahaha. His albums are wack. Amplified is the only album of his i heard and i didn't like that. So i don't wanna hear his other albums.
"Renaissance" was an incredible album. you can't say that all of his albums are wack when you've only heard one of them. especially when there was 9 years between "Amplified" and "Renaissance", and the sound on them is completely different. seriously, do yourself a favor and listen to "Renaissance"
Taskmaster2112 is offline   Reply With Quote