news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop

Old 03-04-2011, 09:08 AM   #16
claaa7
Killer Bob

claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA View Post
bull.

Enta Da Stage is 100 and 10% gangster rap.
Nothing backpack about the album except backpackers like the era.

so? talking about violence and raw themes doesn't exclude them at all. it's only in recent days that backpack rap has become associated with geeks who raps about their low self esteem.

Quote:
Format: You came out early with the ‘backpacker’ style in your Black Moon days. What’s it like to see it becoming so popular?
Buckshot: Big up to all the kids out there, I do wanna say this. I wanna big up all my backpackers because y’all stuck by me since day one. I came out with the backpack thing in like 1992 with ‘who got the props’ and I use to tell people to wear the knapsack. It’s funny how a lot of my own people in the hood didn’t support it, but people outside of my hood supported it. So, I created a bookbag and I got another bookbag coming also. I wanna thank all of the backpackers that support my shows and stuff like that. 2009 the world is ours! Peace out.

http://www.formatmag.com/features/buckshot/

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!
claaa7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:24 AM   #17
fatboybrandon
Your fav. artist's artist

fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by claaa7 View Post
sFormat: You came out early with the ‘backpacker’ style in your Black Moon days. What’s it like to see it becoming so popular?
Buckshot: Big up to all the kids out there, I do wanna say this. I wanna big up all my backpackers because y’all stuck by me since day one. I came out with the backpack thing in like 1992 with ‘who got the props’ and I use to tell people to wear the knapsack. It’s funny how a lot of my own people in the hood didn’t support it, but people outside of my hood supported it. So, I created a bookbag and I got another bookbag coming also. I wanna thank all of the backpackers that support my shows and stuff like that. 2009 the world is ours! Peace out.

Thanks for bringing this up claaa, not much else I need to hear or care to hear about "backpack" in Hip Hop aside from this. I already thought early 90's Buckshot or Grand Puba before entering this thread.

Those who lived through the era of Enta Da Stage already know what backpack in Hip Hop really means, but I don't knock anyone wanting to define or imagine it as something else.

fatboybrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:37 PM   #18
TSA
BIG OPINION, BIGGER LOAD

www.majeofficial.com

TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by claaa7 View Post
so? talking about violence and raw themes doesn't exclude them at all. it's only in recent days that backpack rap has become associated with geeks who raps about their low self esteem.

well the subject matter of Enta Da Stage doesn't differ from the average subject matter of the first Lil Scrappy Album or Trillvill album, so where one gets off calling it backpack and Lil Scrappy isn't is beyond me.

Backpackers like music from that era but it doesn't mean it's backpack music.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:53 PM   #19
M.O.D.
the most filthy

M.O.D. Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)M.O.D. Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)M.O.D. Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)M.O.D. Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)M.O.D. Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)M.O.D. Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)M.O.D. Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)M.O.D. Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)M.O.D. Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)M.O.D. Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)M.O.D. Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Rawkus - Definitive Jux & Rhymesayers

u couldent really credit one individual for a whole movement but all three of these lables contributed in a big way
M.O.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:06 PM   #20
Ghost In The 'Lac
crushed out heavenly

Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthesizer Patel View Post
am still not clear on the concept of "backpack rap"
more examples

J Live
Lyricists Lounge shit
Early Rawkus shit
Quasimoto albums
Lootpack
J Rawls

Although the concept of what backpack rap actually is, kinda hard to describe.

b/c I wouldnt put a Quasimoto album in the saame vein as a lootpack album but theyre def both backpack

too many people claim backpack in this era though

I dont even remember the term being used until about 2004ish, and only in more recent years has it gotten widely used, often in the negative

people like Kid Cudi, Wiz Khalifa, Wale, B.O.B these lames all "claim" the back pack status.

backpack has changed through the years

Back when Rawkus was going strongest, Back pack was just hip hop with more thought put into it, made generally by people with slightly more intelligence and musical knowledge

and were more aware of hip hop itself, and were at the same time concious of their hip hop knowledge

back pack was the first post modern hip hop movement i think

it doesnt have to be 'concious' though, obviously

I wouldnt be surprised if the term sprang from the skateboarding community, skateboarders always listened to that type of raw or quirky hip hop, skateboarders are always wearing backpacks.

And then the humour bacckpackers, like J Zone for instance, I wouldnt be surprised if 95% of J Zone's audience were back pack wearing skateboarders

Last edited by Ghost In The 'Lac; 03-04-2011 at 02:12 PM.
Ghost In The 'Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 02:12 PM   #21
Edgar Erebus
Munching eyes since 1989

Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Backpack rap is rappin' when you wear your pack on your back. What more there is to say? The whole idea is so vague it only started being used when Top 40 maniacs started to hate on anything else.
"The Devil is not the Prince of Matter; the Devil is the arrogance of the spirit, faith without smile, truth that is never seized by doubt. The Devil is grim because he knows where he is going, and, in moving, he always returns whence he came."
Edgar Erebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:23 PM   #22
p-rok73
Veteran Member

p-rok73 prodigal sonp-rok73 prodigal sonp-rok73 prodigal sonp-rok73 prodigal sonp-rok73 prodigal sonp-rok73 prodigal son

I would go with The Native Tongues of the late 80's & early 90's...because they were the alternative to what was big at that time, big meaning "gangsta rap".
p-rok73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:44 PM   #23
spiggity_ace
Veteran Member

spiggity_ace five deadly venomsspiggity_ace five deadly venomsspiggity_ace five deadly venomsspiggity_ace five deadly venomsspiggity_ace five deadly venomsspiggity_ace five deadly venomsspiggity_ace five deadly venomsspiggity_ace five deadly venomsspiggity_ace five deadly venoms

organized konfusions gotta get some credit, i mean weird experimental style, out of the ordinary lyrics, so on and so forth

And black moon was never backpack they were the eastcoast thug shit since day 1
Old 03-04-2011, 09:37 PM   #24
TSA
BIG OPINION, BIGGER LOAD

www.majeofficial.com

TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Ghostlaced your definition of backpack is off

who can you tell these ppl are more 'intelligent'? because they say 'big words'? which most of them dont?

I can tell you now that few of them are smarter then Jay-z, whom is fucking brilliant, or Nas, who is intelligent and despite the backpack movements strive to claim him has always been street/gangsta/or commercial rap
Old 03-04-2011, 09:38 PM   #25
Synthesizer Patel

Synthesizer Patel crouching tiger

"get on my skateboard and do a muthafuckin driveby"
Old 03-05-2011, 12:51 AM   #26
DJMethods
Wu Vatican

DJMethods fist of furyDJMethods fist of furyDJMethods fist of furyDJMethods fist of furyDJMethods fist of furyDJMethods fist of furyDJMethods fist of furyDJMethods fist of furyDJMethods fist of furyDJMethods fist of furyDJMethods fist of fury

Motherfuckers don't know what backpack is.

"Backpack" doesn't mean underground or conscious rap. Backpack rap is deeply rooted in graffiti culture young niggas, Artifacts are the ultimate backpack. The backpack is filled with tins, markers, records, not some encyclopedia shit.

Teachin Da SeedZ
DJMethods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:54 AM   #27
DJMethods
Wu Vatican

DJMethods fist of furyDJMethods fist of furyDJMethods fist of furyDJMethods fist of furyDJMethods fist of furyDJMethods fist of furyDJMethods fist of furyDJMethods fist of furyDJMethods fist of furyDJMethods fist of furyDJMethods fist of fury

Teachin Da SeedZ
Old 03-05-2011, 04:27 AM   #28
claaa7
Killer Bob

claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMethods View Post
Motherfuckers don't know what backpack is.

"Backpack" doesn't mean underground or conscious rap. Backpack rap is deeply rooted in graffiti culture young niggas, Artifacts are the ultimate backpack. The backpack is filled with tins, markers, records, not some encyclopedia shit.
haha, yes very true. "Wrong Side of the Tracks" used to be one of my favorites too, i need to go back to that Artifacts album. looptroop got some dope songs repping the graffiti culture too

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!
claaa7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:45 AM   #29
DJMethods
Wu Vatican

Looptroop is ill, used to bump These Walls Don't Lie by Promoe, smoke cones and paint all night back in my yoof. Now I'm too responsible but I still bump Looptroop when riding trains.

there needs to be more graff rap.

Teachin Da SeedZ
Old 03-05-2011, 02:02 PM   #30
Ghost In The 'Lac
crushed out heavenly

Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA View Post
Ghostlaced your definition of backpack is off

who can you tell these ppl are more 'intelligent'? because they say 'big words'? which most of them dont?

I can tell you now that few of them are smarter then Jay-z, whom is fucking brilliant, or Nas, who is intelligent and despite the backpack movements strive to claim him has always been street/gangsta/or commercial rap
you missed my point

like i already said back pack lyrics and content is about is varied as it can be (in the past)

i mean like people like talib and mos were more self aware than say mystikal or juvenile

back pack is just postmodernism in hip hop

sometimes ironic and self referential, and occasionally absurd (MF DOOM)

and to qoute websters:

Quote:
of, relating to, or being any of various movements in reaction to modernism that are typically characterized by a return to traditional materials and forms
thisviddeo, even though i thought it was pompous, is a great example of the emergence of postmodern thinkning in hip hop