0
 

home
news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Know The Ledge

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
IrOnMaN
I understand
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 27
Posts: 9,074
Rep Power: 43
IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Exclamation College degrees won't shield African-Americans from unemployment.

The jobless rate among black college graduates is nearly double that of whites. Why?






For years, Americans have been told that going to college was the best protection against unemployment. That hasn't been the case for African Americans during the Great Recession, with a jobless rate nearly double that of their white counterparts. And experts say the gap could widen in the slow recovery.


Black Americans have long suffered the highest unemployment rate of any ethnic group in the country, and this recession has only exacerbated a long-standing divergence.


The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics in January was 15.7 percent, compared with 8 percent for whites. Although a recent report shows that the unemployment rate fell to in February, the Economic Policy Institute -- a nonpartisan economic think tank -- projects that, with the rates in five states exceeding 20 percent.


Black college graduates have not been spared.
At the end of 2010, black Americans, 25 years old and older, with a college education had an unemployment rate of 7.3 percent, while the rate for white college graduates was 4.2 percent, according to Bureau of Labor Statistics data. Other minority groups, such as Asian college graduates and Hispanics, hover a shade over 5.5 percent, while the rate for blacks was expected to continue climbing.


Cary Fraser, a professor of labor and industrial relations at Penn State University, believes that several factors contribute to high unemployment in the black community.


First, as corporations continue to relocate thousands of jobs to lower-cost markets in more rural areas, many of the opportunities that were once available to black workers in metropolitan centers are now nonexistent.
"African-American professionals have been largely located in the older cities," Fraser says. "Except for maybe places like Atlanta, you will find that there is a higher concentration of the black professional population in the bigger cities."


He believes that black unemployment may end up causing a long-term shift in the country's demographics as many migrate to where the jobs are. "In education, for example, there are many schools in the South that are in desperate need of good teachers," Fraser says. "What we have to ask ourselves is, will we start to see young black college grads leaving the Northeast to teach in the South?" He cites the migration of the auto industry from American-based manufacturers in Detroit to European and Japanese automakers in Kentucky, Mississippi and South Carolina as an example of a significant shift in opportunity.


The second factor in high joblessness among blacks is what Fraser describes as "class-origin distinction." He says that a large number of black professionals are first-generation college graduates who don't have the same kinds of networks as an earlier generation of African Americans. "They're just not as savvy and as prepared for the work force when they leave college as the older generation was."


Fraser believes that colleges and universities share the blame for not adequately preparing students for the job market. "Many of the institutions are failing these kids and are just taking them in as a way of financing themselves."


Deirdre Littlejohn, a recent graduate of Temple University, says that she has found the job market to be more challenging than she had ever imagined. "I've been seriously looking for the last six months," says Littlejohn, who is black. "I've been networking and working on my résumé as much as I can, but haven't been able to find anything."


Littlejohn has a degree in marketing but doesn't feel as if the degree and the curriculum she studied gave her the focus she needed to land the right job. She agrees that racism, however subtle, plays a significant part in who gets hired. While in college, she held internships at various Fortune 500 firms and witnessed firsthand the racial politics that determined who was hired.


"Certain candidates got passed up for jobs for lesser-qualified candidates," she says. Littlejohn has been passed up for jobs in favor of male candidates, although she feels she was better qualified. She also says that appearance might be a factor.


"I have natural hair," Littlejohn says. "Oftentimes I feel like I can't be myself and have to alter my appearance by tying my hair back for a job interview. It's tough, and more so than anything else, it's a feeling of not being able to be yourself."


Fraser also believes that internal politics play a considerable role in higher black unemployment rates, saying that some companies become less inclined to hire minorities once their respective diversity-hiring goals have been met.


But he offers some advice to those who are soon to be out of college. He recommends that black college students analyze where the market is going and tailor their undergraduate studies and internships toward preparing them to compete in those areas instead of going the traditional routes.

"College graduates should start looking at opportunities that are related to where the economic growth is or will be in the future, rather than where the jobs are right now."


Littlejohn has already begun to alter her mentality in her search for job opportunities. She wants to work in television as a videographer, but with so many barriers facing her, she is now working on a business plan and approaching the job market as an entrepreneur rather than a prospective employee.


If we look back at the last decade, the numbers for blacks remain disturbing. Since 2000, black Americans with college degrees have had the highest rate of unemployment among all ethnic groups at their level, even when the market was fairly stable. Yet as the economy worsened in early 2008, the gap widened and the percentage jumped from an average of 4 percent to 7.3 percent between 2008 and 2009.


That's a 3.3 percent increase in one calendar year, while unemployment for white college graduates remained relatively flat during this span at a steady average of 2.5 percent.


Lurie Daniel-Favors, a New York-based civil rights and consumer-debt attorney, says that this damaging cycle has been going on for a while, even before the current labor crisis. Black Americans have always been in a recession when it comes to jobs, and she points to a structural and systematic institutionalized racism as the primary driver.
"Blacks have always been the last hired and the first fired," she says. "Countless studies have shown that when all other things are equal, if two résumés have equal qualifications and the only difference is the ethnicity of the names of the candidates, potential employers will go with the name that sounds the most European -- or the least ethnic."


http://blackamericans.com/blogs/news...mployment.aspx



Obviously, this is no surprise. However, there are a number of reasons for this.
IrOnMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:21 AM   #2
CharlesJones
Veteran Member
 
CharlesJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 10,603
Rep Power: 36
CharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of fury
Default

The reason why it's so hard for blacks to get jobs is because white supervisors are racist and that's never gonna change. That's why i don't listen to their dumb ass comments when they say blacks are lazy and don't wanna work because that's bullshit. There's lots of blacks who want a job and can't get one because of these punk ass racist white supervisors. Even if a black person goes to a job interview wearing the right clothes and speaking proper, that doesn't mean you're gonna get the job. But if a white person goes to a job interview, they're gonna get hired. I hate racist whites and white male supervisors are definitely racist and they're tougher on hiring black men because they'll hire black women before they would hire black men. They would even hire immigrants like hispanics before they would hire black men because they think hispanics work harder than black men. The thing is the reason why they would hire hispanics before black men because a lot of hispanics are here illegally and they can pay them a low salary and treat them like slaves. Black men aren't gonna let white men supervisors treat them like slaves and black men aren't gonna work for low pay. White men want employees they can control and they feel they can do that with hispanics but not black men.



Ironman, i told you a few weeks ago that i've sent several emails to part time cleaning jobs that are hiring on Craigslist.com and nobody responded. What does that tell you? I bet the supervisors who posted the job ads are white men. I wish there were more white women and black men supervisors because then more black men would have jobs and the unemployment rate for blacks would be very low. I think white women and black men would give more blacks a chance for jobs than white men. I got hired before by a white woman who works for a cleaning company and she's nice. I'm glad i didn't go to college and waste money because i know getting a college degree doesn't guarantee you a job. College is a waste of time for blacks. It's good to get a education and have knowledge but it doesn't make sense to have a college degree and you gotta be struggling to find a job. That's exactly why crime will always be high in the black community because as long as there's a lot of blacks unemployed, they're gonna rob, steal, sell drugs to get money. That's just the way it is and racist whites act like they don't understand that.
CharlesJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:06 PM   #3
Visionz
The People's Champ
 
Visionz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Age: 35
Posts: 13,656
Rep Power: 50
Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via AIM to Visionz
Default

Charles you know your name sounds about as European as it gets on a resume. How does someone know you're black through an email?


There could be a lot reasons things are the way they are and racism may only be part of it. What about degree choice, what's the percentage of college graduates regardless of race that work in a field completely different from the degree they have. If I have a masters and work at Wal-Mart I still wouldn't be considered unemployed but I'd be underemployed like a mothafucka. The bigger picture can't be told with generalized statistics like they try do here.
__________________

Support the Real. Click HERE
Visionz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:38 AM   #4
EAGLE EYE
0110111101110000011001010111001001100001011101000110100101101111011011100010000001100111011101010110100101101100011011000110111101110100011010010110111001100101
 
EAGLE EYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Quantum Computer
Posts: 40,283
Rep Power: 10
EAGLE EYE has disabled reputation
Default

Jesus fucking Price


SMH


You two need to listen to Visionz. A lot of this boils down to what careers/fields you pursue, your own personal drive/ambition and how developed your interpersonal skills are.

Humans keep evolving and if you cant keep up, then go chase a twister when it steals your burger, fries, and paycheck.


I work in IT and I will tell you right now its a melting pot of races. They don't fill jobs based on skin color. They pick a person who can walk the walk and exceed the talk. At the end of the day no one gives a fuck what color you are, as long as you make the deadline and contribute. So pick your career choice wisely or you are shooting yourself in the foot repeatedly.
__________________




Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Bandana View Post
you dont want me coming around dressed in black homie
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA View Post
Honestly dude, this is why I want to go to hell. Hell is crackin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crump Diddy View Post
Did I scare you?

Last edited by EAGLE EYE; 04-24-2011 at 10:10 PM.
EAGLE EYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 12:42 AM   #5
diggy
The ABBOTT
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: O-Block
Posts: 11,024
Blog Entries: 4
Rep Power: 51
diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Default

__________________







Quote:
Believe it or not, lobster and crabs are crustaceans and are a part of the arthropod family, which include caterpillars, cockroaches, and spiders!

A Galactic Funking Hunt Wit Not Wont
diggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 01:20 AM   #6
food for thought
Duppy Conquerer
 
food for thought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SHAKA ZULU BOBO SHANTI NYABINGHI MAN A MAU MAU WARRIOR
Posts: 17,148
Rep Power: 100
food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)food for thought Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Default

Quote:
Quote:
College degrees won't shield African-Americans from unemployment.



if youre a faggit retardddddddddd bro chea!!!!
__________________
We do it for the people.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SKAMPOE View Post
I Step in the place
with Armed conflict and occupational sweat on my face,

food for thought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:36 AM   #7
IrOnMaN
I understand
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 27
Posts: 9,074
Rep Power: 43
IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Default

Racism still exists but there are ways to work around that.

What people have to understand that things have changed. This isn't the '80s, '90s, or the early '00s. It's 2011. In order to obtain employment with most companies, I can guarantee you that they'll want to know if you've had any experience in the field that you majored in while in college. By the economy being the way that it is, companies either don't have the time to train a potential employee or it could be that they can't afford to train a potential employee. They want to know if the person who's applying for a particular job has skills that match the job description. Yes, having a bachelors degree is impressive but not as impressive as skills. Any idiot can obtain a bachelors degree, due to the fact that most colleges have lower their standards when in comes to admissions and requirements in order to graduate. So, companies aren't going to take you serious if you don't have either a strong GPA or good work experience. Both oral and written communication is VERY important because employers are now saying that recent college graduate can't communicate effectively and their writing skills aren't good at all.

I've had three jobs in my field of study while I was in college. Most people I know of do not and that's not a good thing, unless they have good connections or just get really lucky in their job search.

Another thing I'd like to point out is just because one has a college degree doesn't necessarily mean that you're entitled to a job. Understand that no one is going to give you a job (unless you have strong connections). Also, it all depends on the field of study one pursued in college. Degrees in engineering (all types), physics, mathematics, environmental science, geology, computer science, and chemistry are good fields to be in right now because America is investing in energy. Degrees in English, sociology, psychology, art, journalism, human behavior, business administration and other ones aren't going to earn a person a DECENT living in the future.

Most blacks won't pursue a degree that requires math, physics, and chemistry simply because it's too hard and its "not for black folks". I'm not stating that's true but based on my conversations and observations, it's the case. I remember when I was the only African-American in the General Physics 2 Lab. WTH?!

What people need to understand that it isn't about race anymore when it comes to employment, it's all about skills. Education and job experience looks excellent on a resume. Just education alone won't impress a potential employer.
IrOnMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 04:24 PM   #8
TheBoarzHeadBoy
כהן גדול
 
TheBoarzHeadBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 3,682
Rep Power: 0
TheBoarzHeadBoy drunken mastaTheBoarzHeadBoy drunken masta
Default

What I think is funny is that the example woman is being forced to work "on a business plan and approaching the job market as an entrepreneur rather than a prospective employee."

That's funny. That should be your objective. People are dumb. Entrepreneur should be your goal, employee is your fall back plan or your way to get some real experience before you take the plunge. Entrepreneurs are the backbone of the American economy, not Corporations. The only people who enjoy working for a corporation are either the Executives, the Yuppies who are actually climbing the ladder, or the guy who doesn't mind the job and is satisfied by his paycheck.

Success is measured by your accomplishments not your networth. I'd rather have a struggling business that did a damn good job and left its customers and employees satisfied than a corporation. That's what I plan to do, get my MBA and get some college buddies to start a company and get on the pursuit of happiness.

Obviously there is racism, but I think the problem is the economy and the sort of cultural differences. Black professionals are just as smart as white professionals, but what are their degrees in? If you aren't as qualified for a job you're not going to get it. Life is winners take all.
__________________
HANKERING FOR SOME BEEF CURTAINS

Last edited by TheBoarzHeadBoy; 04-24-2011 at 04:26 PM.
TheBoarzHeadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:18 PM   #9
CharlesJones
Veteran Member
 
CharlesJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 10,603
Rep Power: 36
CharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of fury
Default

I don't care what ya'll say. Racism still exists at jobs and that's why there's still a lot of unemployed blacks. A lot of white men supervisors are racist towards black men and that's never gonna change. That's why so many black men are unemployed. It's hard for black men to get jobs at Burger King, McDonald's, Wendy's, Target, Walmart. I know most black men won't work at those jobs. It's hard for me to get a cleaning job and i know from experience because i've applied for several cleaning jobs part time lately and nobody responded. Ironman, those school subjects you mentioned that most blacks won't pursue because they feel those subjects are too hard. There's nothing wrong with not wanting to take some school subjects that you feel are hard. I didn't go to college and i'm glad i didn't because i don't like school. I'm lucky i got 2 jobs but the bottom line is getting a job is very hard and it's very hard for blacks.



So racist whites need to stop making these dumb comments talking about black men don't wanna work because that's not true. There's a lot of unemployed black men i'm sure that want a job and they can't get one. Racist white men supervisors also need to pay people a decent salary instead of a low paying salary because a lot of black men won't work for low pay. I've had several jobs working for low pay and i wish i hadn't taken those jobs but when you don't have the experience and education, you have to settle for low paying jobs. If i couldn't get a good job, i'd settle for low pay until i could get a higher salary. Most unemployed black men don't think like me because most of them would rather sell drugs and do illegal shit to get money rather than work for low pay. I'm scared to go to prison and that's why i'd never do crime to get money.
CharlesJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 02:27 PM   #10
CharlesJones
Veteran Member
 
CharlesJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 10,603
Rep Power: 36
CharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of fury
Default

Ironman, why do you act surprised that black men in college don't take classes like math, physics, chemistry? You know most black men don't like school and they aren't interested in classes like that. I hated science and algebra when i was in middle school and high school. I hated school period LOL.
CharlesJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 03:21 PM   #11
Mic Tyson
Heisman
 
Mic Tyson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: East Columbus/Los Angeles
Age: 24
Posts: 3,223
Rep Power: 17
Mic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venomsMic Tyson five deadly venoms
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
It's hard for black men to get jobs at Burger King, McDonald's, Wendy's, Target, Walmart. I know most black men won't work at those jobs. It's hard for me to get a cleaning job and i know from experience because i've applied for several cleaning jobs part time lately and nobody responded.
wtf those are the easiest jobs to get nigga. maybe u shoulda tried to go to college instead of always complaining about white ppl being racist just cuz they don't want to hire you personally
Mic Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:00 PM   #12
BASCO
ill crew of psychoz
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 492
Rep Power: 0
BASCO iron monkeyBASCO iron monkeyBASCO iron monkeyBASCO iron monkeyBASCO iron monkey
Default

im black and doing chemistry major
BASCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:09 AM   #13
CharlesJones
Veteran Member
 
CharlesJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 10,603
Rep Power: 36
CharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of fury
Default

Mic Tyson, those jobs aren't easy to get because i tried getting a job at Burger King and i didn't get hired. I did work at Walmart and Target before and those jobs aren't easy. Whether you like it or not, white men supervisors are racist towards black men and they always will be. I guess the reason why so many black men are unemployed is because it's black men's fault right? I do know that some black men refuse to wear the right clothes to job interviews and a lot of them have dropped outta high school and haven't gone to college and those issues can be the reason why black men are unemployed. Even if black men wear the right clothes, speak proper and graduated from high school and college, that still doesn't guarantee them a job.
CharlesJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:05 PM   #14
LORD NOSE
The Smell of The Future
 
LORD NOSE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Double Barreled Snot Gun
Age: 1
Posts: 14,644
Blog Entries: 4
Rep Power: 70
LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Default

why are "african americans" still looking to be employed ?

smdh

the fuck yall expect
__________________
LORD NOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 10:54 PM   #15
TheBoarzHeadBoy
כהן גדול
 
TheBoarzHeadBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 3,682
Rep Power: 0
TheBoarzHeadBoy drunken mastaTheBoarzHeadBoy drunken masta
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASCO View Post
im black and doing chemistry major
How many neutrons does a hydrogen atom have? ;p

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNNY WINTERS View Post
why are "african americans" still looking to be employed ?

smdh

the fuck yall expect
Exactly. Stop thinking of yourself as black.
__________________
HANKERING FOR SOME BEEF CURTAINS
TheBoarzHeadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 PM.


Copyright ©2000 - 2013 The Wu-Tang Corp. & shift-one