news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Sound Shack

Old 06-18-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
Taskmaster2112
PRODIGAL SUN

Taskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killa
Default Dope Recent Funk/Soul/Afrobeat Thread

I don't know if all of you realize this, but there's been some great funk/soul/afrobeat coming out over the last few years. A lot of it has a throwback kind of sound to it, and a lot of the best is instrumental rather than vocal. Most of the best has been concentrated on 4 or 5 labels. I've been listening to a ton of this stuff lately, and I'm always down for hearing more. Here's some of the new funk/soul/afrobeat bands I've been listening to lately, and those of you that know of any should recommend some.

Ikebe Shakedown:

Hypnotic Brass Ensemble:

The Budos Band:

El Michels Affair (some of you may have heard of these guys because of their album of Wu-Tang covers, but that album is really uneven whereas their first album is consistently great. Their "Heaven and Hell" cover is really good though):

Menahan Street Band:

^This song was sampled by Jay-Z for "Roc Boys (And the Winner is...)"

They also just put out an album backing Charles Bradley:

Karl Hector & The Malcouns:

Mulatu Astatke & The Heliocentrics

Connie Price & The Keystones:

Whitefield Brothers:

Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings:

Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra (their best song is called "Age" but it's not on Youtube):

Big Pimp Jones (who makes soundtracks for the fake "Jimmy Ruckus" series of blaxploitation movies):

Dam-Funk is a bit different than these other guys in that he's going back and mining sounds from the early to mid 80s rather than the 60s and 70s, but he's still too dope. His debut album came out on Stones Throw and was a 5LP. Most of the songs are instrumental, but he has a few vocal ones. This is a vocal version of one of the instrumentals from his debut. He did another version of this song with MC Eiht that is probably also available on youtube.

I don't know how to embed this type of video, but here's a clip of one of his shows that has one of the craziest synth solos I've ever heard. It would make Bernie Worrell proud:
http://www.stonesthrow.com/news/2011...e-at-under-100

If you've got some acts like these, post them, and I'll keep posting more.

Last edited by Taskmaster2112; 06-20-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Taskmaster2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:03 PM   #2
oDoUoSoKo
frieza saga

oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via AIM to oDoUoSoKo

some bad ass shit there baby, good goin

UNRELATED BUT, BEWARE:
https://soundcloud.com/frieza-saga
oDoUoSoKo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 11:22 PM   #3
EAGLE EYE
Operation Guillotine

EAGLE EYE has disabled reputation

I like Dam's catalog

He posts some interesting stuff on his tumblr account too:

http://gff.tumblr.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Bandana View Post
you dont want me coming around dressed in black homie
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA View Post
Honestly dude, this is why I want to go to hell. Hell is crackin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crump Diddy View Post
Did I scare you?
EAGLE EYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:09 AM   #4
Longbongcilvaringz

Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Nice thread, i'll have to check through this stuff later.

Longbongcilvaringz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:02 PM   #5
9th Chamber
PRODIGAL SUN

9th Chamber crouching tiger

Anyone check out the new Bootsy Collins Funk Capital of the World? Definitely worth a listen if you haven't.
9th Chamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:07 PM   #6
claaa7
Killer Bob

claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

good thread Taskmaster, i'll definitely check out some of your recommendations when i get the time. props + rep

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!
claaa7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:30 PM   #7
CharlesJones
penalty boxed user

CharlesJones five deadly venomsCharlesJones five deadly venomsCharlesJones five deadly venomsCharlesJones five deadly venomsCharlesJones five deadly venomsCharlesJones five deadly venomsCharlesJones five deadly venomsCharlesJones five deadly venomsCharlesJones five deadly venomsCharlesJones five deadly venoms

Funk music today will never be like what it was back in the day. I miss the old funk artists like Cameo, The Gap Band, Con Funk Shun, Lakeside, Dazz Band, Zapp, Parliament/Funkadelic, Slave, Midnight Star, The Time.
CharlesJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:15 AM   #8
Longbongcilvaringz

Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

When i saw that Charles had commented in this thread i knew what he had said before even reading it.

Why bother even writing that comment you miserable fuck?

Old 07-21-2011, 08:29 AM   #9
Taskmaster2112
PRODIGAL SUN

Taskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killa

Yeah Charles if you come at newer music with that attitude you're just closing yourself off from some great music before you even hear it. You do have some good taste in some older funk though (I say older because most of those acts you listed are from the late 70s and early 80s. If we're talking about old old funk you have to be getting into the 60s with James Brown and all of his contemporaries).
Taskmaster2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:36 AM   #10
JASPER
array peezeez

JASPER Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)JASPER Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)JASPER Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)JASPER Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)JASPER Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)JASPER Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)JASPER Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)JASPER Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)JASPER Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)JASPER Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)JASPER Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

I agree with Charles.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:59 AM   #11
Ghost In The 'Lac
crushed out heavenly

Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

I agree with him too, especially live funk bands

Old 07-21-2011, 10:52 AM   #12
CharlesJones
penalty boxed user

CharlesJones five deadly venomsCharlesJones five deadly venomsCharlesJones five deadly venomsCharlesJones five deadly venomsCharlesJones five deadly venomsCharlesJones five deadly venomsCharlesJones five deadly venomsCharlesJones five deadly venomsCharlesJones five deadly venomsCharlesJones five deadly venoms

Ghost In The Lac, you like The Time? I like them too. I got their first 3 albums The Time, What Time Is It, Ice Cream Castle. Jesse Johnson who's in the group did 5 solo albums. I didn't know he did that many solo albums. I typed in his name at Amazon.com a few weeks ago to see how many solo albums he's done and i saw he did a new double album last year or the year before. I got his first album Jesse Johnson's Revue that has the jams Be Your Man, Just Too Much, Let's Have Some Fun, Can You Help Me. I also like the love song I Want My Girl. I heard his 2nd album Shockadelica and it sucks. I haven't heard his other albums. LOL@him wearing pink clothes on The Time's Ice Cream Castle album cover and his first solo album cover hahahahahahahahahaha. He also used to have a long jhericurl LOL. I know Morris Day did 2 solo albums. I remember his first solo album Color Of Success. I haven't heard it but i heard a couple of jams from the album on the radio back in the day.

I don't know if ya'll remember the group The Deele that Babyface and LA Reid used to be with but their first album Street Beat is the shit. They got several jams on there i like such as Body Talk, Sexy Love, Street Beat, Video Villain, Workin 9 To 5. I like the love songs Just My Luck and Crazy About Cha. I heard their other 2 albums Material Thangz and Eyes Of A Stranger. Those albums aren't as good as Street Beat. Ready For The World i also like. I like a few jams from them like Digital Display, Oh Sheila, I'm The One Who Loves You, Do You Get Enough. I like their love songs Tonight, Slide Over, Let Me Love You Down. I heard their last 2 albums and i didn't like them.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:37 PM   #13
Ghost In The 'Lac
crushed out heavenly

Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Jesse Johnson was the shit. I havent heard his solo albums. I heard he went back to doing his hard rock on some of them. The whole original line up for The Time was crazy, JImmmy Jam and Terry Lewis, Morris Day, Monte Moir and Prince producing all the music. Those guys KNEW how to play. I think they got back together as the original line up recently.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:10 AM   #14
Longbongcilvaringz

You idiots, of course funk was better during it's heyday, it's fucking obvious.

But yeah, insightful posting from charles, my bad.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:48 AM   #15
CharlesJones
penalty boxed user

I can't believe i forgot about Chic, Mtume, Kool And The Gang. Chic has plenty of jams like Dance Dance Dance, Everybody Dance, Le Freak, Good Times, My Forbidden Lover, Chic Cheer. I can't believe Mtume disappeared after only 2 albums Juicy Fruit and You Me And He. Juicy Fruit song is the jam. I guess ya'll know Notorious Big sampled Juicy Fruit on Juicy song. I got their albums. They got some jams on both albums. You Me And He is a nice love song. Kool And The Gang did several jams and i like their 80's music. I didn't really like their 70's music except Hollywood Swinging, Ladies Night, Hangin Out, Tonight's The Night, Too Hot. When James JT Taylor joined them, they had a lot of hits. James is a good singer and i was disappointed in his solo albums. He didn't have any jams on his solo albums, too many love songs. James did a reunion album with Kool And The Gang in 1996 called State Of Affairs and it sucks. I got Kool And The Gang's videos dvd and ya'll should check it out if you love their 80's music.