news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Sound Shack

Old 07-29-2011, 08:55 AM   #1
bad boy T
MC Definition

bad boy T shaolin monk
Default What's people's opinions on Dubstep?

I know quite a lot about Dubstep, I'm just interested to know what other people think of it especially those that normally stick to a strictly hip hop basis and want to explore other genres.

I'm happy to drop knowledge and educate anyone on the matter as well.
Just hollar
bad boy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:14 PM   #2
wutangclan97chamber
SHAOLIN STUDENT

wutangclan97chamber crouching tiger

fuck dubstep. i hate it

sorry
wutangclan97chamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:02 PM   #3
bad boy T
MC Definition

bad boy T shaolin monk

Fair play bro each to their own. Everyone has different tastes and opinions on different vibes.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:35 PM   #4
wutangclan97chamber
SHAOLIN STUDENT

wutangclan97chamber crouching tiger

word
wutangclan97chamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:07 PM   #5
Edgar Erebus
Munching eyes since 1989

Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Don't like it either. Simply can't get into it.
"The Devil is not the Prince of Matter; the Devil is the arrogance of the spirit, faith without smile, truth that is never seized by doubt. The Devil is grim because he knows where he is going, and, in moving, he always returns whence he came."
Edgar Erebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:09 PM   #6
bad boy T
MC Definition

bad boy T shaolin monk

It's a hard style to get used to tbf. As I'm from Uk near Bristol I been around Dubstep, Drum n Bass, Techno and garage as much as Hip Hop.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:12 PM   #7
Edgar Erebus
Munching eyes since 1989

Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

I don't know, I had pretty easy time getting into garage and grime, d'n'b too, but dubstep is, I don't know... too fucking slow for me. Not maniacal enough, if you know what I mean.
"The Devil is not the Prince of Matter; the Devil is the arrogance of the spirit, faith without smile, truth that is never seized by doubt. The Devil is grim because he knows where he is going, and, in moving, he always returns whence he came."
Old 07-29-2011, 04:18 PM   #8
bad boy T
MC Definition

bad boy T shaolin monk

Yeah I hear what you saying bro, there are loads of different tyes of Dubstep, for example there's heavy dubstep with heavy LFO and mad frequencies, then there's slow chilled atmospheric slightly ambient Dubstep.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:19 PM   #9
Edgar Erebus
Munching eyes since 1989

Examples of heavy stuff please?
Old 07-29-2011, 04:27 PM   #10
bad boy T
MC Definition

bad boy T shaolin monk

Skrillex
Doctor P
MRK1
Trolley Snatcha
Rusko (certain tracks)

Check them out, they use a lot of wobble dubstep, which is when the bassline has a wobble effect which is caused by the LFO (Last Oscillating Frequency) and the cutt off turned up half away created a balanced between the sound waves that resonate at a balance causing a tremlo on the wave.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:29 PM   #11
bad boy T
MC Definition

bad boy T shaolin monk

I personally prefer minimal Dubstep which is more atmospheric laid back vibes
Old 07-29-2011, 05:05 PM   #12
Edgar Erebus
Munching eyes since 1989

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad boy T View Post
Skrillex
Doctor P
MRK1
Trolley Snatcha
Rusko (certain tracks)

Check them out, they use a lot of wobble dubstep, which is when the bassline has a wobble effect which is caused by the LFO (Last Oscillating Frequency) and the cutt off turned up half away created a balanced between the sound waves that resonate at a balance causing a tremlo on the wave.
That's more like it. Some of those kinda remind me of French heavy house (that's my personal favorite out of electronic music).

About that chill dubstep, definitely not my cup of tea (how British was THAT, heh?)
Old 07-29-2011, 05:11 PM   #13
Cthulhu
Veteran Member

Cthulhu iron monkeyCthulhu iron monkeyCthulhu iron monkeyCthulhu iron monkeyCthulhu iron monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad boy T View Post
Skrillex
Doctor P
MRK1
Trolley Snatcha
Rusko (certain tracks)

All of this stuff garbage except for early MRK1 when he was still doing breakstep/breakbeat garage and grime.

If you want heavy dubstep listen to stuff like Vex'd and Loefah:

I really can't stand most of the new stuff that passes for dubstep these days. 2004-2007 was really the best era. Digital Mystikz, Loefah, Vex'd, Burial, Kode9, Distance, El-B, D1, Benga, Skream, all that shit is the good stuff. Skrillex, Borgore, and all that shit can fuck off.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:37 PM   #14
bad boy T
MC Definition

bad boy T shaolin monk

I agree that Vex'd can be heavy, but loefah aint as he was part of the old skool croyden big apple records scene, they were pioneers but nah never as heavy as the modern day shit. They were sick, but not that heavy apart from some of Skream's early shit.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:38 PM   #15
bad boy T
MC Definition

bad boy T shaolin monk

@cthulhu I totally agree, dubstep has lost the edge that used to define it.