0
 

home
news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Wu-Tang Chamber

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2011, 03:17 PM   #16
drippie k
este sitio es una mierda
 
drippie k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: cadiz, spain...portland, oregon
Age: 26
Posts: 4,097
Rep Power: 19
drippie k shaolin masta killadrippie k shaolin masta killadrippie k shaolin masta killadrippie k shaolin masta killadrippie k shaolin masta killadrippie k shaolin masta killadrippie k shaolin masta killa
Default

fuck buying cd's..that shits gonna be out dated in the next 5 years. i just download the album (pay if its good) and then get all the bonus tracks that are for japan, europe and itunes only and end up having a 25 track album lol...and if you're bitchin about playin it in the car, get something to hook up your ipod to it, its 2011
__________________
cash rules. still don't nothin move but the money
drippie k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:30 PM   #17
AVL_DIGITAL
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 33
Rep Power: 0
AVL_DIGITAL grasshopper
Default

This thread is not valid with this pic (and the Simpsons' sheet):


Last edited by AVL_DIGITAL; 09-06-2011 at 06:33 PM.
AVL_DIGITAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:33 PM   #18
Jin10304
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,298
Rep Power: 23
Jin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venoms
Default

True...if your bitching about certain tracks not being on a CD, time to upgrade your stereo system with either playing MP3 Audio CD's, or MP3 players that can connect to the face with a adapter.
Jin10304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:30 PM   #19
OPTIMUS
SLIMEY SAVAGE
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 332
Rep Power: 0
OPTIMUS prodigal sonOPTIMUS prodigal sonOPTIMUS prodigal sonOPTIMUS prodigal sonOPTIMUS prodigal sonOPTIMUS prodigal sonOPTIMUS prodigal son
Default

call me old skool but it is nice to have a physical copy in your hand sometimes, the other problem is they release one version then a week later one with bonuses or extra instumental cd or whatever.
Another thing i dont understand is how come cds dont have CD-TEXT for car stereos?
OPTIMUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:21 AM   #20
Frank Drebin
shaolin shadowboxer
 
Frank Drebin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Police Squad
Age: 34
Posts: 4,649
Rep Power: 33
Frank Drebin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Frank Drebin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Frank Drebin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Frank Drebin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Frank Drebin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Frank Drebin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Frank Drebin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Frank Drebin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Frank Drebin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Frank Drebin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Frank Drebin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPTIMUS View Post
it is nice to have a physical copy in your hand sometimes, they release with bonuses
Another thing i dont understand is I how come
okay
__________________
Frank Drebin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:36 AM   #21
Sparrow Daene
PRODIGAL SUN
 
Sparrow Daene's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 787
Rep Power: 0
Sparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venoms
Default

it's 2011. so what? it will be 2020 before you know it, and people will still be buying physical copies of albums. trust.

people who are fans buy physical copies. that's not going anywhere. vinyl's not going anywhere. vinyl sales are UP in the past 3 years.

the reason it looks like it does is because more people are listening to music now because of digital access, but they are casual fans, so they can settle for shitty quality itunes mp3s.

the market is definitely still there. I've been hearing about the CD being dead for 5+ years. it's demonstrably false. if it were true, they wouldn't waste another dime on manufacturing them. trust me, every dime is important to these company boys.

people are making TAPES again. like exclusively. what does that tell you?

Last edited by Sparrow Daene; 09-07-2011 at 04:38 AM.
Sparrow Daene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:13 AM   #22
Jin10304
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,298
Rep Power: 23
Jin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venoms
Default

meh but the majority of music listeners today use ipods/mp3 players when there out & about. Its been like 6 years since ive seen someone rock a CD player..

"Why is the retail price of a new music CD $15.98? Where does this price come from and how is it set? Is it fair? For a long time, I've wondered about the high price of music, especially when bought in physical form as a compact disc. As longtime music buyers, we have a certain mindset about the CDs we buy: We have always bought new CDs for around $12 to $15 or more, and that's the way it is.

That money goes to music production, music packaging, distribution, marketing, and maybe a little bit to the artist. But the disruption of digital technology couldn't have come at a more perfect time for the music business, right when it was fat on corporate profits and had even colluded on setting artificially high CD prices in the '90s.

"We as an industry have had it too good for too long," Warner Music exec Alex Zubillaga told the AP recently in a story about the rise of digital music sales. Globally, downloadable digital music sales doubled in 2006 to $2 billion, making up 10% of all music sales, according to the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI). However, overall music sales dropped by 3% globally.

But an interesting phenomenon is happening in the U.S., according to Nielsen SoundScan: Album sales were down nearly 5% for 2006, but digital downloads helped push up all music sales -- online and offline -- by 19% for the year. People are not as enamored with the CD (and its high price) and are more interested in paying just for the tracks that they want. Apple's iTunes has helped set another artificial price for downloaded single music tracks at 99 cents, which has helped bring down the price of physical or downloaded albums to around $10.

As music lovers, we now have many more choices for how we can get our music fix. We can listen to the radio, to satellite radio, to Internet radio, or hear new music on TV shows like "American Idol" or on commercials. We can download free music from file-sharing networks, though we pay a price in the time it takes to get a good file (and the tiny risk of being prosecuted for it). We can hear music straight from the websites of artists, and even get their tracks from MySpace pages. We can buy physical albums from the dwindling number of retail music stores or Wal-Mart and Target, or buy digital tracks or albums from iTunes or other online outlets.

More up-and-coming artists realize that they're going to have to give away their music online to get noticed, and then will make money from live shows or merchandise such as T-shirts and other gear. That brings down the retail and digital cost of music even more. When I spoke to Avi Ehrlich, who runs independent record label Springman Records, he didn't mince words about how digital disruption was changing the music business.

"I think record labels as we know them today will be completely obsolete in two to five years, there's no question about it," he said. "I've worked in the music industry at various places such as radio, magazines, and record labels and it just can't sustain itself the way it is right now. I think it's a good thing as [digital technology] levels the playing field for everyone... It's making the industry less top heavy."

And you can see the parallels between the digital disruption of the music business and other media businesses. Music labels have lost power in the hierarchy of the music business, just as Hollywood studios have lost power with the rise of user-generated video online, and just as newspaper chains have lost power with the rise of Craigslist, Google and Yahoo.

There is no god-given right to selling a high-priced CD (or DVD or newspaper), and it's no wonder that so many people turned to file-sharing networks and digital downloads because of those high prices. There is no good reason why the record labels -- infamous for ripping off artists for so many years -- should remain in control of the price of retail music. We now have the power to shift that business model and decide how we get our music, whether it's directly from the artist or through new online shops or social networks. And you can bet your bottom dollar we're not going to pay $15.98 for a CD anymore."
Jin10304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:27 PM   #23
Wu-Disciple
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NY
Posts: 572
Rep Power: 11
Wu-Disciple shaolin monk
Default

I still fucks wit CDs, vinyls, and cassete tapes.
Wu-Disciple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:46 PM   #24
Sparrow Daene
PRODIGAL SUN
 
Sparrow Daene's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 787
Rep Power: 0
Sparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venoms
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jin10304 View Post
meh but the majority of music listeners today use ipods/mp3 players when there out & about. Its been like 6 years since ive seen someone rock a CD player..

lol. you haven't been in brooklyn lately. hipster dbags would rock a portable phonograph if they could. I still have a discman for times when my ipod's dead or if there's an album that I'm fuckin with for awhile.
Sparrow Daene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:52 PM   #25
Sparrow Daene
PRODIGAL SUN
 
Sparrow Daene's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 787
Rep Power: 0
Sparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venoms
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jin10304 View Post
"Why is the retail price of a new music CD $15.98? Where does this price come from and how is it set? Is it fair? For a long time, I've wondered about the high price of music, especially when bought in physical form as a compact disc. As longtime music buyers, we have a certain mindset about the CDs we buy: We have always bought new CDs for around $12 to $15 or more, and that's the way it is.

That money goes to music production, music packaging, distribution, marketing, and maybe a little bit to the artist. But the disruption of digital technology couldn't have come at a more perfect time for the music business, right when it was fat on corporate profits and had even colluded on setting artificially high CD prices in the '90s.

"We as an industry have had it too good for too long," Warner Music exec Alex Zubillaga told the AP recently in a story about the rise of digital music sales. Globally, downloadable digital music sales doubled in 2006 to $2 billion, making up 10% of all music sales, according to the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry (IFPI). However, overall music sales dropped by 3% globally.

But an interesting phenomenon is happening in the U.S., according to Nielsen SoundScan: Album sales were down nearly 5% for 2006, but digital downloads helped push up all music sales -- online and offline -- by 19% for the year. People are not as enamored with the CD (and its high price) and are more interested in paying just for the tracks that they want. Apple's iTunes has helped set another artificial price for downloaded single music tracks at 99 cents, which has helped bring down the price of physical or downloaded albums to around $10.

As music lovers, we now have many more choices for how we can get our music fix. We can listen to the radio, to satellite radio, to Internet radio, or hear new music on TV shows like "American Idol" or on commercials. We can download free music from file-sharing networks, though we pay a price in the time it takes to get a good file (and the tiny risk of being prosecuted for it). We can hear music straight from the websites of artists, and even get their tracks from MySpace pages. We can buy physical albums from the dwindling number of retail music stores or Wal-Mart and Target, or buy digital tracks or albums from iTunes or other online outlets.

More up-and-coming artists realize that they're going to have to give away their music online to get noticed, and then will make money from live shows or merchandise such as T-shirts and other gear. That brings down the retail and digital cost of music even more. When I spoke to Avi Ehrlich, who runs independent record label Springman Records, he didn't mince words about how digital disruption was changing the music business.

"I think record labels as we know them today will be completely obsolete in two to five years, there's no question about it," he said. "I've worked in the music industry at various places such as radio, magazines, and record labels and it just can't sustain itself the way it is right now. I think it's a good thing as [digital technology] levels the playing field for everyone... It's making the industry less top heavy."

And you can see the parallels between the digital disruption of the music business and other media businesses. Music labels have lost power in the hierarchy of the music business, just as Hollywood studios have lost power with the rise of user-generated video online, and just as newspaper chains have lost power with the rise of Craigslist, Google and Yahoo.

There is no god-given right to selling a high-priced CD (or DVD or newspaper), and it's no wonder that so many people turned to file-sharing networks and digital downloads because of those high prices. There is no good reason why the record labels -- infamous for ripping off artists for so many years -- should remain in control of the price of retail music. We now have the power to shift that business model and decide how we get our music, whether it's directly from the artist or through new online shops or social networks. And you can bet your bottom dollar we're not going to pay $15.98 for a CD anymore."

all this WAS very true. notice the price of cds is not nearly as high as it was in the 90s (except for some retailers like barnes and noble, and newer releases) first day and first week prices are generally significantly lower than the msrp now. the high cost of the cd was going back to the offices, not the artists, and since they cant get away with fucking around with hundred thousand dollar budgets for everyone now, they have to expect less in return as well. they also are witnessing an exodus of artists who know now the virtues of owning their own masters, publishing & copyrights, and then there are the tumblr-rooted indie artists getting big (or "big") off of word of mouth etc. .but a lot of that is suspicious. I don't think much has changed, there are big budgets behind supposedly indie artists hyping them just like they did decades before
Sparrow Daene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:54 AM   #26
THE MASON
Winter is Coming
 
THE MASON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Temple of the King
Posts: 12,250
Rep Power: 129
THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)
Default

anyone being told that no one is buying CDs anymore is retarded. i work in a record shop and it shows no signs of dying out. whatever consumer reports yall read is lies.

the major corporate stores are dying because they arent marketing right. they need to realize more money is in the Indie artists in all genres. but they are still pushing units.

regardless of that arguement, bonus material should be given to the person making the effort to go out and buy it. but that also doesnt mean iTunes users cant have them either
__________________

ELITE STATUS
THE MASON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:35 PM   #27
Jin10304
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,298
Rep Power: 23
Jin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venoms
Default

"lol. you haven't been in brooklyn lately. hipster dbags would rock a portable phonograph if they could. I still have a discman for times when my ipod's dead or if there's an album that I'm fuckin with for awhile."

Meh i live in CA, no one around here plays CD players here.
Jin10304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:36 PM   #28
Jin10304
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6,298
Rep Power: 23
Jin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venoms
Default

"all this WAS very true. notice the price of cds is not nearly as high as it was in the 90s (except for some retailers like barnes and noble, and newer releases) first day and first week prices are generally significantly lower than the msrp now"

After that initial first week bargain on CD pricesm they jack up the prices again right back to the old 90's tag of about 13-15$, its only a temp. sale when new CDs drop
Jin10304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:00 PM   #29
Sparrow Daene
PRODIGAL SUN
 
Sparrow Daene's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 787
Rep Power: 0
Sparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venomsSparrow Daene five deadly venoms
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jin10304 View Post
"lol. you haven't been in brooklyn lately. hipster dbags would rock a portable phonograph if they could. I still have a discman for times when my ipod's dead or if there's an album that I'm fuckin with for awhile."

Meh i live in CA, no one around here plays CD players here.
echo park maybe? iono
Sparrow Daene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:23 PM   #30
tekunique
SupaSelekta
 
tekunique's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: TransFixedST8
Posts: 6,348
Rep Power: 46
tekunique Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)tekunique Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)tekunique Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)tekunique Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)tekunique Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)tekunique Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)tekunique Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)tekunique Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)tekunique Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)tekunique Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)tekunique Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Default

does digital sales of albums count towards RIAA's gold/plat certification ?
__________________
TEKUNIQUE SOUNDCLOUD
tekunique is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:25 AM.


Copyright 2000 - 2013 The Wu-Tang Corp. & shift-one