news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Sound Shack

Old 02-01-2012, 07:11 AM   #1
claaa7
Killer Bob

claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Default Ornette Coleman

i listened a lot to Coleman's "Free Jazz" album from 1960, a very good LP that i absolutely hated the first time i heard it. it's definitely music that needs to grow on you but once you get the hang of it, it can be amazing. i also heard his "Shape of Jazz to Come" album.

i recently watched "Naked Lunch" on which he compoised and played the majority of the soundtrack. some very cool music in that flick, and the movie itself is sick as hell - on so many levels haha.

what i wonder though is about his Prime Time ensemble. i've seen it mentioned several times when reading about some of Miles Davis dark free funk releases like "On the Corner", "In Concert" and "Dark Magus". i don't know which Coleman / Prime Time album to start with, so any suggestions - and do they sound anything like the Davis LPs mentioned above?

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!
claaa7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:45 AM   #2
THE MASON
Winter is Coming

THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)

any help on this for me would be great too.

i have a hard to time tracking down anything from Coleman in the first place, other then online.
THE MASON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #3
Taskmaster2112
PRODIGAL SUN

Taskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killa

I am a huge Coleman fan, and I've listened to most of his albums. His Prime Time stuff isn't my favorite era of his career, but there's some good stuff in there. It definitely sounds different from Miles' "Dark Magus"-era stuff. I'd recommend these Prime Time albums:

"Dancing in Your Head" (Ornette's first free-funk album, although he wasn't using the Prime Time name yet)
"Body Meta"
"Of Human Feelings"
"Opening the Caravan of Dreams"
"In All Languages" (this is a double album. Sides A and B feature his acoustic quartet and the other two side feature Prime Time. A lot of the songs appear in really different forms in both sections of the album, to cool effect)

I'd just go through those five records in order. You can get a nice picture of the group's evolution over that 10 years if you do that.

Also, although it's not his free-funk Prime Time stuff. I highly recommend his 2007 album "Sound Grammar". It's a live record that features Ornette on sax, trumpet, and violin, his son Denardo on drums, and two bassists. It reaches the same level of quality of his late 50s-early 60s stuff, but it's much more accessible than the "Free Jazz" album. I'd put it in his top 5 albums and its one of my favorite jazz records of the lat 5 years.

Also, free jazz especially (but jazz in general) is an area of music I've listened to a ton of in the past few years, so if you have any other questions hit me up and I can probably answer them.

Last edited by Taskmaster2112; 02-02-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Taskmaster2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 05:13 AM   #4
claaa7
Killer Bob

claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

peace Taskmaster and thanks for the recommendation. i listened to two tracks from the "Of Human Feelings" album and you're right, it sounded very different from Miles '74-75. a lot lighter i think, but still good music. will dip into some of the stuff you recommended here and get back to you... i heard about that "Sound Grammar" album, i think i will start there!

btw, did the Coleman Trio actually release the "Naked Lunch" track on a CD/LP soundtrack or were they exclusive to the movie? there's some bad ass solos by Ornette in there for sure.

also I bet you've heard most of Eric Dolphy's stuff? he's also on the "Free Jazz" album which is where i first heard him. some weeks ago i listened to his last album "Out to Lunch" for the first time and some of the tracks on there blew me away... i love Freddie Hubbard who's on there too, my favorite trumpeter next to Miles.

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!
claaa7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
Taskmaster2112
PRODIGAL SUN

Taskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killa

Quote:
Originally Posted by claaa7 View Post
also I bet you've heard most of Eric Dolphy's stuff? he's also on the "Free Jazz" album which is where i first heard him. some weeks ago i listened to his last album "Out to Lunch" for the first time and some of the tracks on there blew me away... i love Freddie Hubbard who's on there too, my favorite trumpeter next to Miles.
Yeah Eric Dolphy is dope as hell. It's a shame that he died right after "Out to Lunch" came out. He has some other really great albums too. "Out There" and "Outward Bound" are both less free than "Out to Lunch". You can definitely tell listening to those two that they came out a few years earlier, because they show a less developed sound and style, but they're still great records. I've heard 7 or 8 Dolphy records and none of them are anything less than good. "Out to Lunch" is his masterpiece though.
Taskmaster2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #6
muscularghandi
PRODIGAL SUN

muscularghandi prodigal sonmuscularghandi prodigal sonmuscularghandi prodigal sonmuscularghandi prodigal sonmuscularghandi prodigal sonmuscularghandi prodigal son

In high school i played saxophone in Jazz, when i heard this LP it changed the way I looked at the entire genre. A must have if your a Jazz head.
muscularghandi is offline   Reply With Quote