news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop

Old 03-18-2016, 08:21 AM   #1
BIRDCAGE

BIRDCAGE shaolin masta killaBIRDCAGE shaolin masta killaBIRDCAGE shaolin masta killaBIRDCAGE shaolin masta killaBIRDCAGE shaolin masta killaBIRDCAGE shaolin masta killaBIRDCAGE shaolin masta killa
Default Gene Simmons says he's looking forward to the death of rap music

Gene Simmons is not happy with the pop charts. "I am looking forward to the death of rap," the Kiss singer and reality-TV star tells Rolling Stone. "I'm looking forward to music coming back to lyrics and melody, instead of just talking. A song, as far as I'm concerned, is by definition lyric and melody or just melody."

After being given a chance to walk back on his statement, Simmons doubled down instead. "Rap will die," he predicted. "Next year, 10 years from now, at some point, and then something else will come along. And all that is good and healthy." When asked whether he likes the genre at all, he gave another tough answer. "I don't have the cultural background to appreciate being a gangster," he said. "Of course that's not what it's all about, but that's where it comes from. That's the heart and soul of it. It came from the streets."

Read more:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...f-rap-20160317

Last edited by BIRDCAGE; 03-18-2016 at 08:23 AM.
BIRDCAGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:47 AM   #2
ShaDynasty
Rum Ham

ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via MSN to ShaDynasty

Rap dying would be like singing dying or guitar playing dying. Its just another instrument and its never going to die.

Hip Hop might die though, or it might already be dead.

Also a song is not just lyrics and melody. With just those elements it would be kind of a mess. You also need rhythm, which conveniently is what raps main component is. Maybe Gene thinks Kiss's drummer is a waste of space?
ShaDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:09 AM   #3
SEMS

SEMS crouching tigerSEMS crouching tiger

Given the bullshit that's been coming out for the last 15-odd years, I can't say I disagree.
SEMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:26 AM   #4
Mumm Ra
God's Replica

Mumm Ra Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Mumm Ra Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Mumm Ra Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Mumm Ra Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Mumm Ra Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Mumm Ra Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Mumm Ra Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Mumm Ra Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Mumm Ra Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Mumm Ra Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Mumm Ra Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Given the bullshit that's been coming out for the last 15-odd years, I can't say I disagree.
thats what i was thinking. let it die as far as being so mainstream, then leave it to the diehards to create great hip hop music
I dont think he'll ever get his wish in his lifetime though, rap music is more ubiquitous now than ever

Mumm Ra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 11:41 AM   #5
check two
Non Ignorants Eckankar

check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)

hopefully trap music does

check two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 12:02 PM   #6
SEMS

I can't believe how long trap has stuck around really. I remember dudes making those type of tracks at least 14-15 years ago. Like if you think about how long the NY sound of the 90s lasted, it comes out to less than 10 years tops, and even that's arguable. For trap to have stuck around so long, being such a basic form of music, blows my mind. How come folks haven't gotten tired of it?

On a kinda side note I do think real rock music will make a comeback in the next 3-4 years or so. It's due for a return really. I'm not talking about that fake emo shit that's on the radio nowadays either, I mean like dark grunge Nirvana type shit.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:19 PM   #7
hotnikks
nada ignorante

hotnikks shaolin masta killahotnikks shaolin masta killahotnikks shaolin masta killahotnikks shaolin masta killahotnikks shaolin masta killahotnikks shaolin masta killahotnikks shaolin masta killa

Hip-Hop is already dead. The World has become too Gay for real Hip-Hop be alble to survive sadly...

hotnikks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 02:07 PM   #8
ShaDynasty
Rum Ham

ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via MSN to ShaDynasty

To SEMS, I think trap music has evolved a lot. It had its origins in bounce and southern hip hop. If you listen to early 2000s trap its quite different to whats happening now. Its not worse than any other subgenre either, theres good and bad.

However I think its getting a bit tiresome hearing the mainstream hop on the trap bandwagon for the last 5 years. I'm interested to see what the next sound will be.
ShaDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 02:56 PM   #9
Punch
Veteran Member

Punch five deadly venomsPunch five deadly venomsPunch five deadly venomsPunch five deadly venomsPunch five deadly venomsPunch five deadly venomsPunch five deadly venomsPunch five deadly venoms

Kiss is a shitty band who would be unknown if they didn't have a gimmick. Who cares what this weirdo thinks about anything.

Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 03:12 PM   #10
TSA
BIG OPINION, BIGGER LOAD

www.majeofficial.com

TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TSA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

So after killing rock and roll by focusing on a gimmick, costumes and his tongue Gene Simmons is now spending his last years on earth trolling hip hop. What cultural context does wearing a tin foil suit and woman's wig come from?

Hip hop right now is almost as good as it was in the 90s. Frankly outside of Wu Tang Forever, Illmatic, Low End Theory Ready to Die, most of the work in the 90s has been matched or beat by stuff that's come out of late. We tend to over rate the 90s by assuming everyone was rapping like Nas and Wu-Tang and forgetting that Tone Loc and Hammer were bigger in that era than Mobb Deep.
TSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 03:17 PM   #11
check two
Non Ignorants Eckankar

check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA View Post
Hip hop right now is almost as good as it was in the 90s.

check two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 03:35 PM   #12
#StonerSloth
Fuck the King

#StonerSloth Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)#StonerSloth Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)#StonerSloth Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)#StonerSloth Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)#StonerSloth Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)#StonerSloth Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)#StonerSloth Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)#StonerSloth Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)#StonerSloth Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)#StonerSloth Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)#StonerSloth Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

lol Kiss fucking sucked and were pioneers of the cross dressing faggots that used gimmicks to mask their lack of talent which thankfully started to kill off rock music.

I think that hip hop will always live on because people from all around the world can relate to the struggle and for the most part the lyrics come from the heart. More importantly it's the youth that still embrace hip hop and while older heads stuck in the 80's and 90's mentality of "everything was better in my day" the young ones keep it alive. The next wave of young people rejected faggot rock like Kiss lol

In Australia hip hop is huge and the local scene is getting bigger and bigger, same as what Europe went through about 10 years ago.

It might die in the mainstream but it'll never die like rock and roll did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMS View Post
What?

Even if you hate mainstream rap there was a 7-10 year period post 2000 of the absolute peak of underground hip hop. Unless you're on some CharlesJones shit then how can you hate the last 15 years entirely?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTLACED View Post
I say nigga and i'm white
#StonerSloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 06:09 PM   #13
SEMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaDynasty View Post
To SEMS, I think trap music has evolved a lot. It had its origins in bounce and southern hip hop. If you listen to early 2000s trap its quite different to whats happening now. Its not worse than any other subgenre either, theres good and bad.

However I think its getting a bit tiresome hearing the mainstream hop on the trap bandwagon for the last 5 years. I'm interested to see what the next sound will be.
Honestly I'm gonna have to take your word for it, I don't listen to enough. I hear rolling 808s & cheap synth stabs and kinda tune out. And yo I'm not knocking it, I was just asking how it stayed around so long.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:17 PM   #14
SEMS

Quote:
Originally Posted by #StonerSloth View Post
What?

Even if you hate mainstream rap there was a 7-10 year period post 2000 of the absolute peak of underground hip hop. Unless you're on some CharlesJones shit then how can you hate the last 15 years entirely?
I gotta admit fam, I do pretty much hate the last 15 years of Hip Hop. There have been some nice records, but overall I found it mad bland. To me, post 2000 underground shit got too repetitive, wasn't my steez at all. The beats got kinda corny, the raps were just a bunch of big words thrown together. I used to shop at Fat Beats every weekend, I had to I was a resident DJ, and yeah I used to buy records in that era, but there wasn't really nothing like it had been prior.

Like I said there were some nice records in those years, there's more than one or two that I'd bump today probably. Common had some cool records, but nothing touching Resurrection. Wu had some good albums, but nothing touching 36/Forever/etc. Even Jay who I'm not a big fan of period, I'd take Reasonable Doubt over anything else he put out.

But that's just me.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:05 PM   #15
zooruka

zooruka Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)zooruka Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)zooruka Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)zooruka Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)zooruka Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)zooruka Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)zooruka Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)zooruka Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)zooruka Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)zooruka Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)zooruka Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEMS View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumm Ra View Post
let it die as far as being so mainstream

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotnikks View Post
The World has become too Gay for real Hip-Hop be alble to survive sadly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA View Post
What cultural context does wearing a tin foil suit and woman's wig come from?
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by check two View Post
lol......Good post check !

Quote:
Originally Posted by #StonerSloth View Post
and were pioneers of the cross dressing faggots
Ahahahahaha

Rap >>>>>>>>>>>> Any other music !
zooruka is offline   Reply With Quote