news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop

Old 07-17-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
Big Smokes
Livin It Up

Big Smokes shaolin masta killaBig Smokes shaolin masta killaBig Smokes shaolin masta killaBig Smokes shaolin masta killaBig Smokes shaolin masta killaBig Smokes shaolin masta killaBig Smokes shaolin masta killaBig Smokes shaolin masta killa
Default XXL Mag gives Nas' "Life Is Good" a XXL rating

finally got a good review

The last line of Nas’ Illmatic still rings true 18 years later. The Queensbridge lyricist never fell. He never ceased to be celebrated as one of the most revered wordsmiths in the game, but—though he’s continued to cement his legendary status with solid efforts album after album—he hasn’t come close to matching his best works in quite some time. The tide, though, has changed with Nas’ 10th LP, Life Is Good.

As has historically been the case, Nas is at his best when facing adversity. His last two superior releases—2001’s Stillmatic and 2002’s God’s Son—were inspired by his heated rivalry with Jay-Z and the death of his mother, respectively.

This time around, a divorce with R&B singer Kelis and reports of outstanding tax liens are at the center of his topical palette, which still ranges from fly sh-t to revolutionary ideals, as evidenced on the opening number, “No Introduction.” “Hood forever, I just act like I’m civilized/Really what’s in my mind is organizing a billion Black muthafu-kas/To take over JP and Morgan Goldman and Sachs/And teach the world facts and give Saudi they oil back,” he rhymes. He comes closest to addressing his alleged financial troubles on the No I.D.-produced, “Loco-Motive.” “I started out broke, got rich, lost paper then made it back/Like Trump bein’ up down up, play with cash,” he offers.

Creatively, Nas continues to reinvent the wheel. He takes reckless shooters to task on “Accident Murderers” featuring Rick Ross—the LP’s only rap guest appearance—and retraces his fatherly missteps on “Daughters.” On the Amy Winehouse-assisted, “Cherry Wine”—a song that sounds like a lost cut from the British singer’s Frank sessions—Nas fantasizes about his dream girl, before coming to terms with his failed marriage on “Bye Baby.” Over Salaam Remi’s sampling of Guy’s “Goodbye Love,” Nas finds closure with a heartfelt letter to Kelis. “Wanted you as my shorty since before I saw you screamin’, ‘Hate you so much right now’/Should’ve saw the man in angry Black women/Actions of a demon—I’m leaving,” he spits.

Nas’s beat selection has long been called into question, but not this time. Salaam Remi and No I.D. split the bulk of the production for a cohesive sound bed filled with soul and jazz overtones. Though the Swizz Beatz-produced, “Summer on Smash” has potential to garner radio play, it feels out of place and is the disc’s only substandard moment.

Still, Life Is Good is arguably Nas’s best album since Stillmatic. In a climate where substance is scarce, Life Is Good is necessary. It’s potent from the excellent cover art to Nas’s sharp bars. It’s balanced. The Queens MC is open, but not emo. Hard, but thought-provoking.

On “Reach Out,” Nas rhymes, “And you become better than legends you thought were the greatest.” Again, the Nasty MC’s words ring true. At this juncture—21 years and 10 solo albums in—no other MC has ever rhymed at such a high level this deep into their career. Not Rakim. Not Kool G Rap. Not Slick Rick. Not Big Daddy Kane. No One.
Big Smokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
main_man
BANNED FOR LIFE!

main_man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)main_man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)main_man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)main_man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)main_man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)main_man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)main_man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)main_man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)main_man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)main_man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)main_man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

finally got a chance to listen to this.

the albums dope.
nas aint lost a step on the mic. he deserves his legend status and this album proves it.

biggest missteps: leaving off "nasty" for that god awful swizz beats joint.

hey kids: if you want to fuck up a song real bad and make it wack as shit, hire swizz beatz.

https://soundcloud.com/gptent/tito-lo-blak-hell
main_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:32 PM   #3
DUMBO
Veteran Member

DUMBO five deadly venomsDUMBO five deadly venomsDUMBO five deadly venomsDUMBO five deadly venomsDUMBO five deadly venomsDUMBO five deadly venomsDUMBO five deadly venomsDUMBO five deadly venomsDUMBO five deadly venomsDUMBO five deadly venoms

I'm not going to comment on the album review because I haven't listened to it yet, but XXL is stupid for saying Slick Rick and KGR haven't maintained their skills. Although Slick Rick hasnt done anything for too long, his last album was lyrically awesome and KGR keeps dropping heaters. Rakim hasn't fell off either.

"Oppressing bitches individually and in groups since 1976"
DUMBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
cap
THE ILL ONE

cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via MSN to cap

Nice!! today i got the deluxe edition (incl nasty) in the mail! loving it!!!!

a queens story is one of nas' best tracks ever!

cap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 05:51 PM   #5
daffy duck
lord

daffy duck iron monkeydaffy duck iron monkeydaffy duck iron monkeydaffy duck iron monkey

daffy duck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #6
THE MASON
Winter is Coming

THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)

sold out of this album with 3 hours of opening today at work

i was impressed that many people even knew and had to turn away a bunch, glad i can buy these before release date

ELITE STATUS
THE MASON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:21 PM   #7
David Daniel Davis
N.I.

David Daniel Davis five deadly venomsDavid Daniel Davis five deadly venomsDavid Daniel Davis five deadly venomsDavid Daniel Davis five deadly venomsDavid Daniel Davis five deadly venomsDavid Daniel Davis five deadly venomsDavid Daniel Davis five deadly venomsDavid Daniel Davis five deadly venomsDavid Daniel Davis five deadly venoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by main_man View Post
finally got a chance to listen to this.

the albums dope.
nas aint lost a step on the mic. he deserves his legend status and this album proves it.

biggest missteps: leaving off "nasty" for that god awful swizz beats joint.

hey kids: if you want to fuck up a song real bad and make it wack as shit, hire swizz beatz.
I do not know why; but whenever Nas and Swizz Beatz do tracks together it never works out.
He proved after the year 2000 that he was capable of making beats with more than just his signature horns, scratches and snares but just cannot seem to get it right when working with one of the most insightful emcees of all time.
David Daniel Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 11:07 PM   #8
DThayer36
SHAOLIN STUDENT

DThayer36 crouching tiger

Loving this album minus Summer on Smash. Nas killed it
DThayer36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:04 AM   #9
Jin10304
Veteran Member

Jin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venoms

dude in the interview contradicts himself lol
Jin10304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:29 AM   #10
immaculate

8 fist of fury8 fist of fury8 fist of fury8 fist of fury8 fist of fury8 fist of fury8 fist of fury8 fist of fury8 fist of fury8 fist of fury8 fist of fury

Good album. 4/5 after 1st listen. Nas' flow and lyrics are immaculate. But a "XXL" is an exaggeration, to say at least. Hard to argue with the last paragraph of the review though. Oh and the Swizz joint doesn't bother me much. Nice little party joint sprinkled in there.

Last edited by 8; 07-18-2012 at 11:16 AM.
8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:52 AM   #11
SL33
Hungry Hyena From Medina

SL33 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SL33 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SL33 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SL33 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SL33 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SL33 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SL33 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SL33 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SL33 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SL33 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SL33 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Supreme production. I haven't listened to the leaks before and therefore I'm surprised.

'Accident Murderers', 'Loco Motive' and 'Reach Out' are my favourite song. Nas' delivery is very agile, props for that. That Swizz song is bullshit though.

Judging by its cover, I thought this album would be very weak.

3.5/5, solid replay value....

SL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:25 PM   #12
ShaDynasty
Bastard Bastard Bastard

ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via MSN to ShaDynasty

"stuck in the 90s niggas".

thats how nas should approach all his albums, play to your strengths.

summer on smash ain't that bad. swizz occasionally makes a nice beat, but why let him rap or chant a hook? hes wack and he says everything the same way, his voice is annoying i don't know why rappers put him on their shit. like pharrell on a hook, thats some pimp shit, swizz on a hook is like "how can we make this song significantly worse?".
ShaDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:08 PM   #13
TheFunkyDrummer
Veteran Member

TheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite vagina View Post
That review is actually on point. I laughed when I saw and heard this hahaha:

This album is garbage, it really is. What is Nas even talking about, he has concepts but they're unfinished and this track Daughters is just a track to reach the mainstream, look at me I have a daughter, she does this and that, y'all have daughters and feel this shit Retweet it. Pussy album. It's worse than Nastradamus, even though that wasn't a good album it was real. This is fake shit. Nas voice is still dope but he's talking about bullshit all the time. What's up with the imagery.. Even most of the similes he has on this album suck.
Old 07-18-2012, 04:14 PM   #14
immaculate

8 fist of fury8 fist of fury8 fist of fury8 fist of fury8 fist of fury8 fist of fury8 fist of fury8 fist of fury8 fist of fury8 fist of fury8 fist of fury

lmfao wtf that dude is dumb and lost as hell. look in his eyes, they spell out D.U.M.B.

8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 05:28 PM   #15
claaa7
Killer Bob

claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

XXL is a fair rating, considering they don't deal with half ratings... lyrically it's 5/5 for me, besides that bullshit Swizz Beats joint.. but the beats is 4/5 so an XXL rating is perfect. the source should give it 4.5/5 considering they gave "untitled" that.

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!
claaa7 is offline   Reply With Quote