news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop

Old 01-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
KJR
Master Ninja

KJR iron monkeyKJR iron monkeyKJR iron monkeyKJR iron monkey
Default I Am... > It Was Written

So after an extensive revisit to these two albums, I gotta say, I am is better by a large margin imo. The lyrics are much more intricate and interesting. Where "It Was Written" focuses primarily on street stories and chasing money, "I Am..." ranges widely in subject matter, ranging from thought-provoking metaphysical braggadocio, ("Ghetto Prisoners", "Nas Is Lke"), the dangers of money ("Hate Me Now", "Money Is My Bitch"), lack of political power ("I Want To Talk To You") to bittersweet love songs ("You Won't See Me Tonight", "KISSING", "Undying Love") to classic storytelling tracks ("NY State of Mind pt. 2", "Life is What You Make It", "Small World") to a tribute track to Pac and Big to even a gimmicky song about Nas being a professional sex advisor.

I mean the variety is crazy on this album. The only thing that really hinders it is a few below average beats and some grating choruses. But seriously, what do you guys think? I think this album is crazy underappreciated.

In "It Was Written" Nas portrayed a hardened Mafia boss, but in this album, he plays a wisened socially conscious rapper. You really see lyrical development on this album and Nas maturing as a whole. What's you guys opinion? Also what's your favorite tracks from this one?
KJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #2
Killah_L
CHICKEN HEAD

Killah_L shaolin monk

Wrong answer

It was written is superior in every single way
Killah_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #3
KJR
Master Ninja

KJR iron monkeyKJR iron monkeyKJR iron monkeyKJR iron monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killah_L View Post
Wrong answer

It was written is superior in every single way
Fair enough but let's hear the reasoning you have
KJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:11 PM   #4
theheavens
Banned

theheavens Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)theheavens Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)theheavens Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)theheavens Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)theheavens Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)theheavens Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)theheavens Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)theheavens Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)theheavens Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)theheavens Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)theheavens Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

like Ghost's Bulletproof Wallets, I heard there were a lot of issues with "I Am," which prevented it from becoming a great record. Undying Love and Hate Me Now are two of Nas' best tracks, but that's about it. It Was Written is filled with great tracks, including the unreleased Silent Murder
theheavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:22 PM   #5
Jin10304
Veteran Member

Jin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venoms

the production on I Am is atrocious, the lyrics do NOT save that album alone.
Jin10304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:33 PM   #6
Apocalypse
PRODIGAL SUN

Apocalypse prodigal sonApocalypse prodigal sonApocalypse prodigal sonApocalypse prodigal sonApocalypse prodigal sonApocalypse prodigal son

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jin10304 View Post
the production on I Am is atrocious, the lyrics do NOT save that album alone.
this.

wich is a funny hip-hop characteristic, sometimes to make a great record you gotta have good beats, wich the rapper has nothing to do with it, he just has to pic them...
Apocalypse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #7
Jin10304
Veteran Member

Jin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venoms

which is why some rappers are praised for their "ear for beats"
Old 01-26-2013, 04:20 PM   #8
theheavens
Banned

theheavens Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)theheavens Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)theheavens Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)theheavens Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)theheavens Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)theheavens Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)theheavens Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)theheavens Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)theheavens Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)theheavens Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)theheavens Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
which is why some rappers are praised for their "ear for beats"
best ear for beats award goes to......

Old 01-26-2013, 04:59 PM   #9
Apocalypse
PRODIGAL SUN

Apocalypse prodigal sonApocalypse prodigal sonApocalypse prodigal sonApocalypse prodigal sonApocalypse prodigal sonApocalypse prodigal son

Quote:
Originally Posted by theheavens View Post

nah...for me that award goes definitely to Prodigy.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #10
Jin10304
Veteran Member

Hnic3????
Old 01-26-2013, 05:51 PM   #11
Apocalypse
PRODIGAL SUN

Quote:
Hnic3????
its not as bad as some people here say it is, it has good beats, and some weak beats, but P made that LP that way because he tryed to stay relevant to the new wack generation ( where the money is ) .

but fuck, Ps career is only HNIC 3? GTFOH!
Old 01-26-2013, 06:04 PM   #12
racist randy
Banned

racist randy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)racist randy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)racist randy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)racist randy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)racist randy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)racist randy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)racist randy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)racist randy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)racist randy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)racist randy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)racist randy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via AIM to racist randy

Quote:

9th Prince has a good ear for beats too, but both of these dudes still have an average solo catalog so what's the point?
racist randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #13
TheFunkyDrummer
Veteran Member

TheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of furyTheFunkyDrummer fist of fury

OK. This is bullshit. Everyone knows It Was Written is 10x more lyrical. Nas at his best, you can find it on It Was Written. Wow man Nas Is Like? The lyrics are average. Don't attack me for saying that, think for a second. What the fuck is lyrical about comparing yourself to other things. I can do that, it's not difficult. Premier kills that, not Nas.

To be honest you can also find Nas at his best on I Am..Tracks like NY State Of Mind (Part II) & Undying Love prove this. It Was Written has more of these moments and less filler altho it still has way more filler than Illmatic which has none. Beats on I Am.. for the most part trash.

One of the biggest gay tracks in hiphop was recorded with I Am... KISSING. How can you rap shit like that after making 2 great albums.

Vinnie Paz does not have the best ear for beats. He happened to know a legend like Stoupe. Vinnie Paz - Stoupe = terrible. Common has a great ear for beats, but nowadays he has average production.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:18 PM   #14
mAlAkAz
DELUXE LUXURY

mAlAkAz iron monkeymAlAkAz iron monkeymAlAkAz iron monkey

Quote:
like Ghost's Bulletproof Wallets, I heard there were a lot of issues with "I Am," which prevented it from becoming a great record. Undying Love and Hate Me Now are two of Nas' best tracks, but that's about it. It Was Written is filled with great tracks, including the unreleased Silent Murder
youre right they had alot of issues that Sony music created by not releasing the original albums that ghost and nas made. Silent Murder was on the cassette version of the album though as a bonus
mAlAkAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:21 PM   #15
theheavens
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Dartz View Post
9th Prince has a good ear for beats too, but both of these dudes still have an average solo catalog so what's the point?
9th prince sucks. and vinnie isn't the greatest by any means, but his ear for beats is crazy. even the unknown producers he picks are give him wicked beats, let alone legends like Premo and Muggs. the best