news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop

Old 04-24-2013, 07:45 AM   #1
KJR
Master Ninja

KJR iron monkeyKJR iron monkeyKJR iron monkeyKJR iron monkey
Default Do you guys think it's weird when white folks listen to "black" hip-hop?

Okay so we know that a lot of white people listen to and enjoy hip-hop, which is perfectly fine. BUT, some artists like Public Enemy, Goodie Mob, Outkast, N.W.A., and Common all often talk about black empowerment, black liberation, fighting against oppression, staying strong in the face of race adversity, etc.

My question is, do you guys think it's normal or "acceptable" for a white person to listen to and enjoy this brand of hip-hop? Can they relate to themes portrayed in music like this?

KJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
KBOS
emceeeees kick tha bucket

KBOS iron monkeyKBOS iron monkeyKBOS iron monkeyKBOS iron monkeyKBOS iron monkey

I don't see what wrong with it. I mean its good ass music and if you can feel another humans soul through it, if you're feeling it you're feeling it. Like a movie or a good book doesn't have to be about your life or your people for you to enjoy it and understand the depth. Those artists you mentioned are not so one-dimensional that they are like fuck white people every one of them and there is literally no other content in the music, even public enemy worked with white people. Those artists touch on a lot of things a lot of people can relate too.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #3
diggy
The ABBOTT

diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

I think it's cool cuz then they are familiar wit the struggle and we could talk about it.

Quote:
Believe it or not, lobster and crabs are crustaceans and are a part of the arthropod family, which include caterpillars, cockroaches, and spiders!

A Galactic Funking Hunt Wit Not Wont
diggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:28 PM   #4
noel411
The ABBOTT

noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

I used to feel pretty weird listening to shit like Da Lench Mob's 'Guerillas in tha Mist' when I was like 13 years old. Or 'Death Certificate'. Pretty much any early Icecube when he was racist as fuck, before he started doing white family movies.

I also had a black friend (Fijian) who I used to get most of my hip hop from when I was 13, and I used to find it kind of awkward listening to hip hop with him. Like does he think I'm silly because I'm listening to this shit when I'm white, and I'm not down like he is? lolz
Old 04-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #5
DarkEXile
CHICKEN HEAD

DarkEXile crouching tigerDarkEXile crouching tiger

I don't think it's strange at all. If it helps people become enlightened then more power to them.
DarkEXile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:31 AM   #6
Longbongcilvaringz

Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

It is weird but not for the reasons you think. Why wouldn't a forward thinking white devil like myself not be in favour of minority groups obtaining equal rights and being empowered? The anti white sentiment in rap is in line with my own opinions of these caucazoids also, so i don't see how that's weird either.

As a rule, i pretty much don't listen to white rappers because they have no soul

Longbongcilvaringz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:19 AM   #7
ShaDynasty
Bastard Bastard Bastard

ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via MSN to ShaDynasty

Who cares?

I dont have a problem listening to 'black' songs. Im not that disconnected from human struggle that i can't understand something coming from a black perspective. The notion is ridiculous to me.

Theres music i like and music i dont, i could care less if someone thinks i shouldnt like it.
ShaDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:24 AM   #8
hashashin
Be Seeing You

hashashin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hashashin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hashashin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hashashin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hashashin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hashashin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hashashin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hashashin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hashashin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hashashin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)hashashin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

lol, N.W.A. actually turned me off hip hop for a while. Before that I'd been listening to Beastie Boys, Run DMC, LL cool J... It was too "black" for me, I didn't feel right listening to it lol! Was really young at the time though!
hashashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:14 AM   #9
Guarded By Martyrs
''Don't Get Me Started''

Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

I think that it depends on the individual
You shouldn't try to outlaw music/art.

Guarded By Martyrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:58 AM   #10
MistaBPL

MistaBPL shaolin monk

Many songs in the rap genre are by african americans, many of those songs have gone on to become hits.

How many songs do you know have pro-Afrocentrism in their messages.

It's not weird because these songs are a part of our culture, we can't help but to bang out heads to "Fuck Tha Police" and "The Light" because these are fucking good songs; the body reacts positively when we listen to good music, why should we feel weird because we're the ones being criticized, if anything it reaffirms our position in hip-hop culture since oddly enough; more suburban people listen to this stuff than urban people.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:32 AM   #11
KJR
Master Ninja

So basically you guys are saying that when a white person listens to a song that concerns black oppression, they can relate the message to their own struggles with other adversities in life?

I totally agree with you all, anyone can like any kind of music, and white people liking hip-hop is awesome, I just know that there are SOME black people who are critical of white folks jamming to something like "Real Niggas Don't Die" or some shit.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:33 AM   #12
D.projectile

D.projectile iron monkeyD.projectile iron monkeyD.projectile iron monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJR View Post
Okay so we know that a lot of white people listen to and enjoy hip-hop, which is perfectly fine. BUT, some artists like Public Enemy, Goodie Mob, Outkast, N.W.A., and Common all often talk about black empowerment, black liberation, fighting against oppression, staying strong in the face of race adversity, etc.

My question is, do you guys think it's normal or "acceptable" for a white person to listen to and enjoy this brand of hip-hop? Can they relate to themes portrayed in music like this?

of course its acceptable..and i got alot of respect for white hip-hoppers and there sense of ethics...the ones that are straight up good people n wanna see justice on all fronts

D.projectile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:37 AM   #13
KJR
Master Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.projectile View Post
of course its acceptable..and i got alot of respect for white hip-hoppers and there sense of ethics...the ones that are straight up good people n wanna see justice on all fronts
True that bro, most white folks (I think) can educate themselves through hip-hop that speaks of matters they might not be well acquainted with.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:29 PM   #14
ShaDynasty
Bastard Bastard Bastard

ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via MSN to ShaDynasty

There are some songs that were obviously not aimed at me though that do make me hit the skip button. I dont know if i can think of any that arent common songs.

Its not so much that he has a pro black message, but that he conveys it through the prism of a corny cosbyesque hippie.
ShaDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:26 PM   #15
BrokenWrists
PRODIGAL SUN

BrokenWrists iron monkeyBrokenWrists iron monkeyBrokenWrists iron monkeyBrokenWrists iron monkey

BrokenWrists is offline   Reply With Quote