news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop

Old 07-10-2013, 06:52 PM   #1
EAGLE EYE
0110111101110000011001010111001001100001011101000110100101101111011011100010000001100111011101010110100101101100011011000110111101110100011010010110111001100101

EAGLE EYE has disabled reputation
Default GQ is a more credible rap magazine than Complex

Quote:
Male fashion magazine GQ put together a list of the worst rappers of all time, of ALL TIME, consisting of people who can't rap. David Drake from Complex saw it and threw a bitchfit. Just because a person can't rap doesn't mean he deserves to be on a list of the worst rappers of all time, he argued. That's not how rap music works!

There's a brief description of the list in the post at Complex. It consists of celebrities who once tried their hand at rap, white rappers, failed pop rappers, plus a few regular rappers who just suck balls, including Too Short and Eazy-E. I didn't bother to click through, myself, because I don't fuxwit listicles, not necessarily as a matter of principle or as a political statement, but out of sheer laziness. If I'm clicking that many times, there better be some naked women. Fuck rap music! I figured I could complete this post without having a look.

In fact, it's ironic that Complex is complaining about another site -- let alone another male fashion magazine site -- running a listicle, tossing out allegations of "trolling" and "laziness" (the two things I strive to represent). Complex puts together its lists the same way Pitchfork reviews rap albums: they find someone who's clearly not an expert in the field, and tell them to do the best they can using Google and trying to imagine what someone who knew what they were talking about might say. I realized this a while back when I saw they did a list of the hottest chicks on The Real World, and it was just a list of women who had appeared on The Real World at some point in time or another, in random order.

Drake complains that by putting Eazy-E and Too Short on a list of the worst rappers of all time GQ is attempting to rewrite the history of rap music, which is only true for him, personally, on an emotional level. In reality, bad rappers have always been looked down upon, going back to the days of "Sucker MCs," and beyond that, to the time before rap records, a period we can only speculate about, because it's impossible to pull it up on YouTube. The Source was putting Too Short on worst rapper lists way TF back in '90, in its Decade of Rap issue.

Too Short is quite literally one of the worst rappers of all time, in the sense that he can't string words together with any more complexity than your average eight year-old. He's even worse than 2Pac, in that sense. He's what the RZA, on the intro to side two of Wu-Tang Forever (which I listen to every day when I get out of bed in the morning), refers to as a cat in a hat-ass rapper. The only two arguments in his favor are the fingerbang video he made for XXL (nullus), which really was good advice if you ever want your finger to smell different, and the existence of Chief Keef.

Eazy-E isn't even a rapper per se. Ice Cube wrote a lot of his rhymes, and letting someone else write your rhymes wasn't considered acceptable in rap music until Kanye came along, fairly recently. So again, this can't be viewed as a matter of GQ trying to rewrite history. Eazy-E was full of shit back when it was still assumed that rap music was completely authentic, when rappers were still referring to themselves as "street reporters" and the "black CNN." He helped lower the standard. Furthermore, I'd argue that he deserves to be included on a list of the worst rappers of all time for functioning as a black front for Jerry Heller, thus setting a precedent for Jay-Z's latter day career as a corporate shill.

There's also, supposedly, a class implication in putting Too Short and Eazy-E, and also Insane Clown Posse, on a list of the worst rappers of all time. This was difficult for me to wrap my head around, because it's not like bad rappers come from a different class of people than good rappers, or any other class of black people, for that matter. Even Bol once lived in a townhouse, from 1981 to about 1984. Whereas a young Soulja Boy put his garbage together on a computer with Internets access in an air conditioned bedroom, KRS-One used to sleep in a damn subway.

You could argue that bad rap music appeals to the less fortunate, as is the case with Insane Clown Posse, but I'm gonna argue that's only due to a lack of discernment, not because it's secretly brilliant in a way that we just can't appreciate, because we're too sophisticated.

Byron Crawford a/k/a Bol is the celebrated author of The Mindset of a Champion: Your Favorite Rapper's Least Favorite Book, and Infinite Crab Meats
http://www.byroncrawford.com/2013/07...n-complex.html

Hahahaha Complex is pretty lame imo..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Bandana View Post
you dont want me coming around dressed in black homie
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA View Post
Honestly dude, this is why I want to go to hell. Hell is crackin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crump Diddy View Post
Did I scare you?
EAGLE EYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:18 PM   #2
diggy
The ABBOTT

diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

I never bought an Eazy album. I've always considered him wack along with Too Short.

Quote:
Believe it or not, lobster and crabs are crustaceans and are a part of the arthropod family, which include caterpillars, cockroaches, and spiders!

A Galactic Funking Hunt Wit Not Wont
diggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
ShaDynasty
Bastard Bastard Bastard

ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via MSN to ShaDynasty

Eazy and too short werent great rappers but were still great artists.

Complex should do a list of their most pointless lists.
ShaDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 08:37 PM   #4
EAGLE EYE
0110111101110000011001010111001001100001011101000110100101101111011011100010000001100111011101010110100101101100011011000110111101110100011010010110111001100101

EAGLE EYE has disabled reputation

Complex should make me a list I can take to the grocery store, but that list might not increase their ad CPM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Bandana View Post
you dont want me coming around dressed in black homie
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSA View Post
Honestly dude, this is why I want to go to hell. Hell is crackin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crump Diddy View Post
Did I scare you?
EAGLE EYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:02 PM   #5
check two
N.I.

check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)

Eazy E >> Ice Cube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Knowledge View Post
lol check 2, always bringing the funny jokes. that one made me really chuckle.
check two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:10 AM   #6
Young Gun
PRODIGAL SUN

Young Gun prodigal sonYoung Gun prodigal sonYoung Gun prodigal sonYoung Gun prodigal sonYoung Gun prodigal sonYoung Gun prodigal son

ICP have worked hard to get where they are today, I feel listing them at number one is pretty cliche especially at this point in Hip Hop. What they lacked with high technical rhyming in their prime, they made up for it with deep elaborate concepts and stories in their initial 6 releases throughout the 90s. But they get a bad rep for their less serious tracks.

To the average Hip Hop fan I can understand them being on the list, but they've been building independently for 2 decades, promoting unity and anti bigotry, where trash like Soulja Boy blew up off of Myspace and shitty dance trends.

But then again, who reads GQ as the go to for Hip Hop?

Last edited by Young Gun; 07-18-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Young Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:21 AM   #7
Ancient One
peaceful farmer

Ancient One prodigal sonAncient One prodigal sonAncient One prodigal sonAncient One prodigal sonAncient One prodigal sonAncient One prodigal son

There's no list, just a blank page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefacekillah View Post
12 reasons fukkin miders keynote soeaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sosa View Post
Rofl at cilva not being considered a killa bee.

RZAs going to take away his wu badge and gun.
Ancient One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:39 AM   #8
BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI
Are U aware I ban @ will?

BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)

Hahahahaha. GQ just B-B-Qued Complex
Old 07-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #9
main_man
BANNED FOR LIFE!

main_man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)main_man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)main_man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)main_man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)main_man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)main_man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)main_man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)main_man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)main_man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)main_man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)main_man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

eazy-does-it = classic album.

and too short may not have rapped fast, but he always rode dope beats well.
people that put short dog on any list of worst rappers of all time damn sure didnt spend any time in the hood in the 90s. everybody bumped too short to get those speakers to BANG.
short dog = classic artist.

https://soundcloud.com/gptent/tito-lo-blak-hell
main_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:04 PM   #10
BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI
Are U aware I ban @ will?

BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)

I agree^
Old 07-19-2013, 05:22 AM   #11
main_man
BANNED FOR LIFE!

main_man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)main_man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)main_man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)main_man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)main_man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)main_man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)main_man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)main_man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)main_man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)main_man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)main_man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

here's the list:
25. tom green
24. mc skat kat
23. chingy
22. joaquin phoenix
21. too $hort
20. Will Smith
19. Any Pro Athlete
18. Soulja Boy (too high)
17. Any Weed Carrier
16. Brian Wilson of Beach Boys
15. Madonna
14. David Bowie/Mickey Rourke
13. Master P
12. Prince
11. Eazy-E
10. The Two Guys in Black Eyed Peas that Aren't Will I Am
9. Pitbull
8. Everyone from England
7. MC Hammer
6. Puff Daddy
5. Kevin Federline
4. Vanilla Ice
3. Chet Haze (Tom Hank's son)
2. Spencer Pratt
1. Insane Clown Posse

obviously not a list made by a hip hop fan.

https://soundcloud.com/gptent/tito-lo-blak-hell
main_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:00 AM   #12
KJR
Master Ninja

KJR iron monkeyKJR iron monkeyKJR iron monkeyKJR iron monkey

Master P gets worst ad-lib honor, but not worst rapper status.
KJR is offline   Reply With Quote