news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > General Chat

Old 11-19-2013, 08:57 PM   #1
check two
N.I.

check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)
Default Why no one should be forced into parenthood

One of the key American narratives is the quest for equality. Our founding national document states that all men are created equal, which, at the time of its composition, literally did mean men - specifically white, land-owning ones. To quote historian Howard Zinn, women "were politically invisible," and equal rights did not extend to black slaves, freedmen, or Native Americans. Since that time, the citizens of this country have been struggling to broaden the definition of equality, so that no matter your gender, race and ethnicity, sexual preference, religion, class, whatever, you will have the same rights and protections under the law as anyone else.

How about moms and dads? A recent piece on Salon, "Make Fatherhood a Man's Choice!" by Anna March, points to a basic inequality between men and women in regard to parenting.

When pregnant, a woman has the choice to decide whether or not to have the baby. If she does, then laws require the father to support the kid, whether the dad has any custody of the child or not. In other words, all a guy can do, if he doesn't want to be a father, is urge the woman to terminate the pregnancy. Should she decide to have it, and chooses to establish his paternity, then he's forced to provide child support.

Well, that sounds fair, right? She's the one who's pregnant, she makes the call. And, the man should have to bear some responsibility for that kid. Especially since he's not the one physically bearing the child!

Ah, but not so fast, says March. It takes two to tango. In cases where both the woman and man decided to have unprotected sex, it's not one person's fault that a pregnancy occurred any more than the other's. And while the woman can opt out of motherhood by terminating the pregnancy or putting the child up for adoption, the man has no right to choose. He's stuck with whatever decision she makes.

March cites a proposal by Oxford professor Kerrie Thornhill that, where birth control and safe abortion are legally available, a man should be given a time-sensitive window in which he decides whether or not he wants to take on the responsibility of fatherhood. Should he father-up (that's my term), then he accepts that he has a financial duty to fulfill until the child turns 18, whether he marries the mother or co-habitates with her, or continues the relationship, etc. Otherwise, he'll be treated under the law like a sperm-donor - unable to demand visitation rights, but also not required to pay child support.

In an Op-Ed in The New York Times, professor of philosophy and gender studies Laurie Shrage proposes that the current laws exist in part so that the government can wring money out of men whose children are on welfare. Because of this, March argues that the final requirement for a truly gender neutral approach to parenthood would be a social safety net providing assistance for kids born into poverty. This would help to ensure that a woman can decide to be a single mother no matter the level of her income.

This is unlikely to happen in our current political environment. As mom blogger Carolyn Castiglia writes, conservative Republicans are outraged that the Affordable Care Act (AKA "Obamacare") requires that basic insurance policies cover maternity and newborn care. They imply that responsibility should fall to the father. These Republicans seem to hold an underlying belief in the upper-middle-class, father-knows-best nuclear family, where a woman doesn't have a child until she marries a man who will provide for her care, as well as their children's.

The fact is, people have sex before marriage and sometimes this results in pregnancy. Accidents happen, mistakes are made, and neither women nor men should be penalized for this. After all, they're not hurting anyone, except the life, happiness, and well-being of their baby. And so I agree with March that paternity laws should be changed, and that a man should only have to assume a financial (and, I hope, emotional) responsibility if he so chooses.

This opinion comes from personal experience. My mother did not plan to become pregnant with me, and when she did, my biological father offered her money for an abortion. (And yes, I think it only fair that a man should split the cost of the abortion with the woman.) However, when my mom refused to have one, he said some nasty things to her and swore he'd never support me, and so things ended badly between them. She never pursued him for child support or tried to establish his paternity. On the contrary - she moved on, reconnecting with a former flame who then raised me as his son.

I'm grateful that my mother had the strength to sever ties with a man who was unprepared and unwilling to be my father, and who, now that I've gotten to know him a bit, I'm sure would have a been resentful of having to pay support, and likely a negative influence in my life. No child should have that kind of relationship with their father, and no father should have to feel burdened by a child that he never wanted to have.

However, we can't realistically talk about American men opting out of fatherhood until all American women have easy, affordable access to birth control as well as abortion procedures and adoption services. That's far from the case. Last week's New York Magazine cover story on abortion reports that in the past 2 years, 26 states have passed 111 provisions restricting the procedure.

Seen in this way, a woman's right to choose is not just a woman's issue, but a man's issue as well. Having sex is a choice that two people make, but because of advances in science and technology, consensual sex does not have to equate consenting to parenthood. A woman should be able to decide whether or not she wants to become a mother, and a man should have that same choice regarding fatherhood. Greater reproductive freedom for women means that neither a woman nor a man has to feel trapped by a pregnancy.

check two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:48 PM   #2
RADIOACTIVE MAN
Alphomega man

RADIOACTIVE MAN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)RADIOACTIVE MAN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)RADIOACTIVE MAN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)RADIOACTIVE MAN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)RADIOACTIVE MAN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)RADIOACTIVE MAN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)RADIOACTIVE MAN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)RADIOACTIVE MAN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)RADIOACTIVE MAN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)RADIOACTIVE MAN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)RADIOACTIVE MAN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

That was a great read and i concur

astro eden"- the new album,get it here
http://www.sendspace.com/file/pbnrft
RADIOACTIVE MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 11:46 PM   #3
diggy
The ABBOTT

diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

interesting.

Quote:
Believe it or not, lobster and crabs are crustaceans and are a part of the arthropod family, which include caterpillars, cockroaches, and spiders!

A Galactic Funking Hunt Wit Not Wont
diggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:52 AM   #4
Killa BB
Online Now

Killa BB Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Killa BB Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Killa BB Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Killa BB Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Killa BB Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Killa BB Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Killa BB Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Killa BB Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Killa BB Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Killa BB Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Killa BB Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

WoW. But you have to ask the question... If both parents can opt out of parenthood & when neither the mother nor the father can be at least legally obligated to assume responsibility... who does?

And don't say the tax payer or some shit like that.

If you ask me, in the case of consensual sex, by the time a pregnancy has occurred their is no more choice for EITHER party. If there was a choice to be made it was to be made way before fuckin. After that you can't pretend you weren't prepared to be a parent when you knew perfectly well where babies come from before you chose to get it in anyway.

SMH @ people who still consider pregnancy to NOT be a component of sex.

Anyone who makes a baby has forced THEMSELVES into parenthood.

Last edited by Killa BB; 11-20-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Killa BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:33 AM   #5
noel411
The ABBOTT

noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Allah sees everything.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:57 AM   #6
JASPER
Dr. Rosenpenis

JASPER Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)JASPER Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)JASPER Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)JASPER Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)JASPER Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)JASPER Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)JASPER Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)JASPER Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)JASPER Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)JASPER Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)JASPER Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Maybe you should include a source.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:04 AM   #7
zooruka

zooruka prodigal sonzooruka prodigal sonzooruka prodigal sonzooruka prodigal sonzooruka prodigal sonzooruka prodigal son

Quote:
Originally Posted by noel411 View Post
allah sees everything.

la illaha illa allah. Muhammad dur rasulullah. (sal allahu alayhi wa sallam)

Last edited by zooruka; 11-20-2013 at 03:06 AM.
zooruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:03 PM   #8
check two
N.I.

check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)

Some girls are so obsessed with getting pregnant, it's definitely odd. They have those reality shows that glorify it. They should seek an intervention or something. Then there are others that pop them out like pez candy, so that they can get more benefits. smh

check two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:37 PM   #9
diggy
The ABBOTT

diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)diggy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Then there are those who try very hard to have children but can't.

Quote:
Believe it or not, lobster and crabs are crustaceans and are a part of the arthropod family, which include caterpillars, cockroaches, and spiders!

A Galactic Funking Hunt Wit Not Wont
diggy is offline   Reply With Quote