news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop

Old 02-18-2006, 10:41 AM   #1
Wooly Noggins
There is No We !

Wooly Noggins shaolin monk
Send a message via ICQ to Wooly Noggins Send a message via AIM to Wooly Noggins Send a message via Yahoo to Wooly Noggins
Default The Difference Between Mc's Back In The Day & Todays Rappers

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MC'S BACK IN THE DAY & TODAYS RAPPERS

You asked me Troy L. to explain my point of view of the difference between Hip Hop back in my era in comparison to now. Well first let me tell you that thereís a big difference between m.c.s and rappers.

Rappers make rap records and are in the game for the sole purpose of monetary gain and fame. They have no love for the microphone or hip-hop, which consists of 4 elements - D.J.ing, Emceeing, Graffiti and Break Dancing!!! And I support this fact with pure evidence.

Check it! Every time there is an anniversary for Rock Steady, Zulu Nation or the Cold Crush or even Disco King Mario do you see any of these rap stars or do you see mad m.c.ís that hold down mics like no other? Huh? No, because they donít fit ;only the ones that have love for this music are there! Rappers donít give out side jams and most of all rappers donít interact with mc.s because m.c.s are a threat to them.

If both were to get on the mic at a jam out side and the d.j. is playing breakbeats , the m.c. will tear the rapper ass up because he is in his domain his arena and he will not only rock rhymes he will rock the party; showcase the d.j. with no gimmicks no hype man, no dancers just him and his gift of gab.

The rapper will say some good rhymes that is probably in record form, meaning it will be 16 or 24 bars and will feel very uncomfortable up there by himself, no dancers, no security and no hype man and to top it off if the record skips he,the rapper will stop and look at the d.j. or search for the soundman. The m.c. will stutter back on track.

And in order for the rapper to rock the crowd he will have to borrow the m.c.s crowd motivation skills, or put on one of his hit records. Last but not least m.c.s roll with other m.c.s, rappers roll with body guards and entourages and stay stuck in v.i.p. rooms.

.................................................. .

However itís somewhat not their fault because the record industry did that to them with trickery.
How can you be a rap star and not be able to hang around your old block and chill? Everything you do is under a microscope!
Then you chip off the founders shizit but canít give them a job as A&R or a talent scout! Donít call us in for a collaboration of our shizit you take, but pay the record companies that raped us for our voice samples or our songs.

Niggaz talk shizit about Will Smith but that motherstanger brought Kool Moe Dee in when he did Wild Wild West! So we have the right to be bitter when we gave up blood , sweat and our souls so these guys can get million dollar deals.

.....______________________________

Video budgets etc. etc. We open the door and these so called rappers hold the knob on the other side so we canít get back in. Donít you know if we was to get them big budgets and have access to them top-notch producers well be just as big if not bigger.

...................____________________________

But they (the record companies) claim that they donít want to take a chance on us! So why did they jump on our music in the first place! They took a chance then and look what happenedÖ.A 12 billion dollar industry! And thatís the difference- peace my brother holla back.

http://www.jayquan.com/jdldiff.htm

"E E Even if i stutter i'ma Still Come Off"
Wooly Noggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 06:13 PM   #2
Koolish
Don't Mess With It

Koolish drunken mastaKoolish drunken masta
Default Go

holy shit that site is sick, they've got everything from the early days, nice stuff on that article.
________
FORD EUROPE

Last edited by Koolish; 03-24-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Koolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 06:18 PM   #3
num2son
Kung Fu Alter Ego

num2son five deadly venomsnum2son five deadly venomsnum2son five deadly venomsnum2son five deadly venomsnum2son five deadly venomsnum2son five deadly venomsnum2son five deadly venomsnum2son five deadly venomsnum2son five deadly venoms
Send a message via AIM to num2son Send a message via MSN to num2son Send a message via Yahoo to num2son

Todays hip-hop.......sorry no....Todays RAP, is more trash

WU-TANG FOREVER!!!!

Sig by Born Invincible
Winner of The Sports Zone Award2006
num2son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 09:24 PM   #4
THE W
ISRAELITE

THE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venoms

Afrika Bambaataa's Definition Of Hip Hop?
Hip Hop means the whole culture of the movement.. when you talk about rap..Rap is part of the hip hop culture..The emceeing..The djaying is part of the hip hop culture. The dressing the languages are all part of the hip hop culture.The break dancing the b-boys, b-girls ..how you act, walk, look, talk are all part of hip hop culture.. and the music is colorless.. Hip Hop music is made from Black, brown, yellow, red, white.. whatever music that gives you the grunt.. that funk.. that groove or that beat.. It's all part of hip hop....
Are artist from the West Coast and Miami
considered Hip Hop?
Too Short, E-40 all the brothers and sisters that are making that hip hop and coming from the funk part of it are all hip hoppers.. The Electro Funk which is that Planet Rock sound which is now considered the Miami Bass sound is also hip hop.. The GoGo sound that you hear from Washington DC is also hip hop.. New Jack Swing that Teddy Riley is R&B and hip hop mixed together...So hip hop has progressed into different sounds and different avenues.. People also have to recognize from hip hop music..inparticular the electro funk came House music and Freestyle music with a lot of our Pueto Rican hip hoppers...
The freestyle music really comes from Planet Rock..If you look at all the freestyle records its based upon Planet Rock.. If you look at all the Miami Bass records it's based upon Planet Rock.. It's all based upon electro funk... which came from hip hop music...
Hip Hop has experimented with a lot of different styles of music and there's a lot of people who have brought different changes over time with hip hop.. which have brought out all these funky records which everybody just started jumpin' on like a catch phrase.. For example when 'Planet Rock' came out you had all of the electro funk records.. When you had Doug E Fresh with the show and 'La Di Da Di'.. a lot of rappers went that way...When Eric B came out with 'I Know U Got Soul'... all the way up to Run DMC and Wu-Tang. All these people brought changes within hip hop music... Unfortunately today a lot of the people who created hip hop..meaning the Black and Latinos do not control it no more...
Afrika Bambaataa
Sept 23 1996

its ALL hiphop, whether you like it or not
The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world Godís invisible qualitiesóhis eternal power and divine natureóhave been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:18-20)
THE W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 09:49 PM   #5
num2son
Kung Fu Alter Ego

num2son five deadly venomsnum2son five deadly venomsnum2son five deadly venomsnum2son five deadly venomsnum2son five deadly venomsnum2son five deadly venomsnum2son five deadly venomsnum2son five deadly venomsnum2son five deadly venoms
Send a message via AIM to num2son Send a message via MSN to num2son Send a message via Yahoo to num2son

^^^^Thx.....

Sig by Born Invincible
Winner of The Sports Zone Award2006
num2son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 10:27 PM   #6
MaShPG
MASTER deBATER

MaShPG grasshopper

You know today I was thinking about this while watching vh1's tribute to "Yo! MTV Raps" and I realized the media hasn't really changed...they're just supplying the consumers with what they want. The people have changed. I mean in the old school, there were still shitty rappers, but we saw KRS, Rakim, Run, Flash, Ice-T, etc. on TV. So you can't really say MTV killed Hip Hop...shit, they helped start it. Maybe people are just getting dumber.

I'm beginning to recognize that maybe some of the conservative fat cats on CNN are right, Hip Hop nowadays is plaguing our youth. You got these young brothers out there glorifying killing and selling drugs and shit to the point where I've experienced a lot of kids I know start selling drugs after Cassidy's "I'm A Hustler" came out. I mean, tons of kids are wearing Hustler t-shirts, thinking that makes them cool or something, that their selling poison to their people. To me, like, Malcolm was a hustla (like BMM said), like he hustled for freedom. You got these straight up ignorant muthafuckaz in the street not knowing what Hip Hop is about. Let's teach them instead of criticizing them.

WHAT'S GOING ON?
MaShPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2006, 10:52 PM   #7
THE W
ISRAELITE

THE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaShPG
You know today I was thinking about this while watching vh1's tribute to "Yo! MTV Raps" and I realized the media hasn't really changed...they're just supplying the consumers with what they want. The people have changed. I mean in the old school, there were still shitty rappers, but we saw KRS, Rakim, Run, Flash, Ice-T, etc. on TV. So you can't really say MTV killed Hip Hop...shit, they helped start it. Maybe people are just getting dumber.
you hit the nail smack dab on the head my man,

these hiphop artists need to take responsibility for their music and for hiphop culture. artists DO have a choice on what music they make.

the radio and the media arent dictators, they're merely suppliers.
The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world Godís invisible qualitiesóhis eternal power and divine natureóhave been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:18-20)
THE W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 02:52 PM   #8
Queen Of Poetry
Veteran Member

Queen Of Poetry Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Queen Of Poetry Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Queen Of Poetry Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Queen Of Poetry Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Queen Of Poetry Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Queen Of Poetry Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Queen Of Poetry Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Queen Of Poetry Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Queen Of Poetry Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Queen Of Poetry Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Queen Of Poetry Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Back in the day it was about the grimy......doing it for the love of it.....today it's for the $$$$$ and violence and women and shit......

Queen Of Poetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 02:55 PM   #9
PuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT
DEVIL BASTARD!!!

PuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT prodigal sonPuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT prodigal sonPuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT prodigal sonPuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT prodigal sonPuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT prodigal sonPuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT prodigal son

hip hop is bigger than most other genre these days so there its a big change between mainstream now and then
Old 02-19-2006, 03:01 PM   #10
LORD NOSE
The Smell of The Future

LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Of Poetry
Back in the day it was about the grimy......doing it for the love of it.....today it's for the $$$$$ and violence and women and shit......

lol - i understand though - but trust me, the money,women, and shit was a part of the plan for them Mcs and Djs back in the day too - alot of violence went on too - it really wasn't that much different - its just wider now - but there are way too many people who don't have the blueprint but wanna be a part of Hip Hop - There are way more MCs now then ever - but there are More Rappers than MCs
Old 02-19-2006, 03:01 PM   #11
RZA's Wife aka Goddess
Banned

RZA's Wife aka Goddess grasshopper

First they where black and now they have every color
RZA's Wife aka Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 03:03 PM   #12
LORD NOSE
The Smell of The Future

LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZA's Wife aka Goddess
First they where black and now they have every color
there were all types of people back in the days doing this too -
Old 02-19-2006, 03:04 PM   #13
RZA's Wife aka Goddess
Banned

RZA's Wife aka Goddess grasshopper

I'm just saying something..
RZA's Wife aka Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 03:08 PM   #14
LORD NOSE
The Smell of The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeDyNaMiTe
Afrika Bambaataa's Definition Of Hip Hop?
Hip Hop means the whole culture of the movement.. when you talk about rap..Rap is part of the hip hop culture..The emceeing..The djaying is part of the hip hop culture. The dressing the languages are all part of the hip hop culture.The break dancing the b-boys, b-girls ..how you act, walk, look, talk are all part of hip hop culture.. and the music is colorless.. Hip Hop music is made from Black, brown, yellow, red, white.. whatever music that gives you the grunt.. that funk.. that groove or that beat.. It's all part of hip hop....
Are artist from the West Coast and Miami
considered Hip Hop?
Too Short, E-40 all the brothers and sisters that are making that hip hop and coming from the funk part of it are all hip hoppers.. The Electro Funk which is that Planet Rock sound which is now considered the Miami Bass sound is also hip hop.. The GoGo sound that you hear from Washington DC is also hip hop.. New Jack Swing that Teddy Riley is R&B and hip hop mixed together...So hip hop has progressed into different sounds and different avenues.. People also have to recognize from hip hop music..inparticular the electro funk came House music and Freestyle music with a lot of our Pueto Rican hip hoppers...
The freestyle music really comes from Planet Rock..If you look at all the freestyle records its based upon Planet Rock.. If you look at all the Miami Bass records it's based upon Planet Rock.. It's all based upon electro funk... which came from hip hop music...
Hip Hop has experimented with a lot of different styles of music and there's a lot of people who have brought different changes over time with hip hop.. which have brought out all these funky records which everybody just started jumpin' on like a catch phrase.. For example when 'Planet Rock' came out you had all of the electro funk records.. When you had Doug E Fresh with the show and 'La Di Da Di'.. a lot of rappers went that way...When Eric B came out with 'I Know U Got Soul'... all the way up to Run DMC and Wu-Tang. All these people brought changes within hip hop music... Unfortunately today a lot of the people who created hip hop..meaning the Black and Latinos do not control it no more...
Afrika Bambaataa
Sept 23 1996

its ALL hiphop, whether you like it or not

yeah your right - just because its wack that doesn't mean its not HIP HOP

and we called it RAP back in the days - If you MCed, you was called a rapper - there was no difference brought out until the 90's i believe KRS started that - it lumped all the bland one sided "WACK MCs" in one pot to be cook -