news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Digital Underground

Old 03-10-2006, 01:33 AM   #1
NIGHT MAYOR
tha VIKING gawd

NIGHT MAYOR Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)NIGHT MAYOR Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)NIGHT MAYOR Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)NIGHT MAYOR Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)NIGHT MAYOR Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)NIGHT MAYOR Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)NIGHT MAYOR Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)NIGHT MAYOR Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)NIGHT MAYOR Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)NIGHT MAYOR Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)NIGHT MAYOR Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Default x-box too take over

BILL GATES WANTS TO KEEP SONY ON EDGE

Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates (right) is confident in his company's chances against Sony in the next-gen console war. Gates believes the real battle will be in the online space. He also discusses HD DVD, Halo 3 and sales of Xbox 360 over the next year.

During last week's CES, popular tech website/blog Engadget had the opportunity to interview Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates about all things Microsoft, including the Xbox 360 of course. Gates talked about sales targets, HD DVD, Halo 3, and the battle against Sony, among other things.

Halo 3, when it's ready
Although others in the Microsoft camp had already refuted the notion that Bungie would have Halo 3 ready to meet the PlayStation 3's launch head-on (Gates had hinted they would in a prior Time article), Gates clearly indicated that he doesn't know when the game will ship. "I have to make sure that any speculation I did about that is -- it's up to the team when they want to ship that, and they're going to take their time to make that a super great product. So even we don't know when that will come out. That's one of many games that are just phenomenal that are in the works, but it's up to the artists to do it when they feel good about it," he said.

Next holiday could be huge
While some analysts have estimated that 10 million Xbox 360 units will have been sold by the end of this year, Gates did not reveal any new sales targets. He is (naturally) quite optimistic about 2006, though.

["We've got a lot of things that they don't know that we're doing, so we'll keep them on edge a bit," Gates on Sony]

"The only number we've given publicly is that for the end of June it'll be 4.5 million to 5.5 million. Then after June, of course, we'll get into another holiday season and that should be a very big deal because that will be a holiday season with a pretty unbelievable number of titles. We had about 18 at launch, we'll have 50 by the middle of the year, so as we get into the second half of next year we'll go up above 50 there as people learn how to take advantage of the graphics capabilities that much more, bring that much more depth to it. We'll have poker coming out in the first half of the year, a lot of people excited about that; we'll have new peripherals that we've talked about, the camera will come up; as well some of the connections to the PC on the communication side so you can text message between PC and Xbox. We'll get some of those things in place.

"So there's a lot of things that will make it an even more attractive product and we'll be able to meet all the demand that's out there. So this will be a big holiday season. We planned Xbox 360 from the beginning as a multi-year cycle, making sure there were no periods of time where there weren't neat new announcements, peripherals, games and those things, and so that's worked well for us. We'll go into a lot of new countries over the next year, we're already in a lot, but we're adding a ton of countries we never went into with the first generation."

HD DVD
Regarding the newly announced HD DVD drive for the 360, some in the industry expressed concern that it might fragment the user base, but Gates doesn't see that as a problem at all. "There's no fragmentation here. The developers are creating games that run on the DVD-9 format that's in every Xbox, and whatever we do with the drive, they'll all be upwards compatible with that. So that's how the games are written and it's a very clear message that lets game developers get huge volumes and payback for the big investments that they make."

He also reiterated his stance that all media will be online soon, so the format war won't be of much consequence ultimately. "In terms of movies, I often say that this is the last format battle there will ever be, because everything is going to go online -- you're going to download it. In fact, one of my favorite features on Xbox Live is where you can go and get the HD demos of the games or get HD videos like the making of the Xbox, the making of Titanic, they've got this Mission Impossible 3 thing. It's really cool when you're set up with an HD display, the fact that you can just click and it either streams or downloads, that's very nice."

Battling Sony
As for Sony, Gates believes the real battle comes down to software and online; of course, it makes sense for him to say that since those are Microsoft's strengths. "We've got a lot of things that they don't know that we're doing, so we'll keep them on edge a bit. We think that this whole thing has become very software centric; that is, the toolkits that let developers do their best creative work -- that plays to our software strength, as well as the idea of Live, where we had to learn a lot with Xbox 1, and the decision to require broadband, to go with VoIP, but we learned a lot about wanting to put things into the operating system so you can chat even while you're playing the games, it's really a level of richness that the games are built on top of that we didn't have that last time. We learned how to do that, we learned about contests and spectators, and so this is really a second generation of Live for us. It's very based on software expertise, so it will be interesting to see what Sony does in that dimension.

"We also now have a situation where if your friend has already bought an Xbox and you go to buy something that you want to play with them, it's not like last time where at his house you play his game and at your house you play your game. Now it's all online, you've got your achievements and things, so it will be a fascinating competition."

Gates added that he believes the market is bound to grow, with more units from MS and Sony being purchased in general. Although he stopped short of predicting outright victory, he said, "Well, you know, we're already successful. I mean, we're the hottest product there was at Christmas this year. I don't think there's any doubt we'll have a substantially higher share in this generation than we had last generation."

750 REBELS - australia's best

NIGHT MAYOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 02:17 AM   #2
kidwukungfu

kidwukungfu shaolin monk

X Box Sucks Ass Ps3 Blow It Away Why U Think They Letiing The 360 Just Collect Dust Ps3 Look That Game For 360 Is Like To Big It Cant Even Paly Dvds No More X Box Sucks Ass P3 Coming Soon Wait Blow It Out The Water
kidwukungfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 02:58 AM   #3
NIGHT MAYOR
tha VIKING gawd

NIGHT MAYOR Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)NIGHT MAYOR Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)NIGHT MAYOR Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)NIGHT MAYOR Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)NIGHT MAYOR Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)NIGHT MAYOR Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)NIGHT MAYOR Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)NIGHT MAYOR Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)NIGHT MAYOR Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)NIGHT MAYOR Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)NIGHT MAYOR Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Old 03-11-2006, 02:57 AM   #4
Icurus
Veteran Member

Icurus grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidwukungfu
X Box Sucks Ass Ps3 Blow It Away Why U Think They Letiing The 360 Just Collect Dust Ps3 Look That Game For 360 Is Like To Big It Cant Even Paly Dvds No More X Box Sucks Ass P3 Coming Soon Wait Blow It Out The Water
HUH?!????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????

What the fuck did you just say?
Game over, game of death, deadly viper poison your soul into an hymnal crepe/baseball bat tag that ass like two hand touch/inhale the exquisite ses that brings you breath/only the dead that creep can flesh be munched
Icurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:17 AM   #5
BRONZBODY
Drunk Off Titty Milk!!!!

BRONZBODY five deadly venomsBRONZBODY five deadly venomsBRONZBODY five deadly venomsBRONZBODY five deadly venomsBRONZBODY five deadly venomsBRONZBODY five deadly venomsBRONZBODY five deadly venomsBRONZBODY five deadly venomsBRONZBODY five deadly venoms
Send a message via AIM to BRONZBODY Send a message via MSN to BRONZBODY

i think he said xbox sucks ps3 will not...
Old 03-22-2006, 01:19 PM   #6
Frontal Lobotomy
Bonesetter

Frontal Lobotomy grasshopper

Sony will always have the last laugh. As i've said before, having the exclusives on all the top games; Pro Evo, GTA, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear etc etc. Unit sales of consoles don't make the money, it's the titles. Halo 3 will no doubt be the greatest console FPS ever made, but really that's all there is to look forward to on the Xbox, from what i've gathered. Besides, Sony's marketing team are spot on, they could sell road kill, as long as there's an in-built radio or something.

Chicks dig giant robots
Frontal Lobotomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:41 PM   #7
Ink Is My Drink
Veteran Member

Ink Is My Drink shaolin monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper_Shapes
Sony will always have the last laugh. As i've said before, having the exclusives on all the top games; Pro Evo, GTA, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear etc etc. Unit sales of consoles don't make the money, it's the titles. Halo 3 will no doubt be the greatest console FPS ever made, but really that's all there is to look forward to on the Xbox, from what i've gathered. Besides, Sony's marketing team are spot on, they could sell road kill, as long as there's an in-built radio or something.
haha yeh sony are gonna take this

i hate x box

they suked and sony killed them wit the ps2 but microsoft puttin up a much bigger fight this time. i reckon it gonna be much closer but sony will take it.
Ink Is My Drink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:46 PM   #8
Razorsharp
Take It Personal

Razorsharp shaolin masta killaRazorsharp shaolin masta killaRazorsharp shaolin masta killaRazorsharp shaolin masta killaRazorsharp shaolin masta killaRazorsharp shaolin masta killaRazorsharp shaolin masta killa
Send a message via AIM to Razorsharp Send a message via MSN to Razorsharp Send a message via Yahoo to Razorsharp

dont forget the Final Fantasy series as well....

Throw Ya W's Up!
Propz To Sean For Kickin' The God A Siggy

Razorsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 03:58 PM   #9
JackOfHearts
JackOfHeartz

JackOfHearts crouching tiger

sony will always be the tru master of consoles.....i hope anyways.
JackOfHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 11:01 AM   #10
P-Noid Brown
same ol' same ol'

P-Noid Brown shaolin masta killaP-Noid Brown shaolin masta killaP-Noid Brown shaolin masta killaP-Noid Brown shaolin masta killaP-Noid Brown shaolin masta killaP-Noid Brown shaolin masta killaP-Noid Brown shaolin masta killa

Bill Gates Microsoft X box X BOX 360 HALO everyone who support Microsoft! The analysts the publishers
their games the software the hardware

Sony will always be
Old 03-27-2006, 11:53 AM   #11
born invincible
// Never Defeated //

born invincible prodigal sonborn invincible prodigal sonborn invincible prodigal sonborn invincible prodigal sonborn invincible prodigal sonborn invincible prodigal son
Send a message via AIM to born invincible Send a message via MSN to born invincible

im not an xbox fan... all the games i like are strictly for the playstation with the exception of the Zelda series.. thats probably the only reason i continue to buy nintendo.. that and mario of course!

born invincible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 03:49 PM   #12
NIGHT MAYOR
tha VIKING gawd

time will tell

Old 03-30-2006, 01:53 PM   #13
Grongle
Young Granger

Grongle grasshopper
Send a message via AIM to Grongle Send a message via MSN to Grongle

i dno what 2 get a xbox 360 or wait till the ps2 comes out ???
Old 03-30-2006, 03:39 PM   #14
36chambers
The People's Champ

36chambers drunken masta36chambers drunken masta36chambers drunken masta

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-Noid Brown
Bill Gates Microsoft X box X BOX 360 HALO everyone who support Microsoft! The analysts the publishers
their games the software the hardware

Sony will always be
You got Microsoft Windows?

PS3 will be better.

BIG L Rest In Peace
36chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 03:49 PM   #15
Grongle
Young Granger

Grongle grasshopper
Send a message via AIM to Grongle Send a message via MSN to Grongle

]Yh i think im guna wait for the psp , xbox like iz mena be gd thow init ?