news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop

Old 05-10-2006, 06:51 PM   #1
GSTYLE
Veteran Member

GSTYLE shaolin monk
Default Guru From Gangstarr

For me, Guru is a legend no doubt and he is a good MC, but he has never been up to par with Premier's beats ASIDE FRM THE MOMENT OF TRUTH LP. That is an all time classic, Guru really took the time to stake his claim as one of the greats and to make that the LP they remember him for. Its a damn shame they didnt get 5 mics for that album, because he deserved more attention for his work right there. BUT, HERES THE THING......

Ive heard Guru described as the tightest wack rapper there is. Would you agree with that?

Sometimes i listen to him and he comes off as if he is trying to be clever but his lyrics are just average, or he is rushin too much and bein lazy. I dont know, but he has shown flashes of genius, but also a lot of average moments. What do u think?
when my whole life, they told me i was good for nothin... - Inspectah Deck
GSTYLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:56 PM   #2
cap
THE ILL ONE

cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via MSN to cap

totally agree,
i made a thread about guru being way too simple at times a while back.

the shit he spits is sometimes too simplistic 4 words,i cant understand how some people put him in their top 10 list.
i do however respect & enjoy the dope tracks he made wit primo.

cap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:56 PM   #3
Luther Large
Veteran Member

Luther Large shaolin monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSTYLE
For me, Guru is a legend no doubt and he is a good MC, but he has never been up to par with Premier's beats ASIDE FRM THE MOMENT OF TRUTH LP. That is an all time classic, Guru really took the time to stake his claim as one of the greats and to make that the LP they remember him for. Its a damn shame they didnt get 5 mics for that album, because he deserved more attention for his work right there. BUT, HERES THE THING......

Ive heard Guru described as the tightest wack rapper there is. Would you agree with that?

Sometimes i listen to him and he comes off as if he is trying to be clever but his lyrics are just average, or he is rushin too much and bein lazy. I dont know, but he has shown flashes of genius, but also a lot of average moments. What do u think?
i think he is a great consistant rapper with good lyrics he got a nice delivery too and his rap style sumtimes makes up for his sumtimes simple ryhmes nevertheless it's always good to hear him

just think he's NEVER put out a wack album maybe sumthin in the average to above average range but he's never put out an album that wasnt worth buying

he's 1 of the most consistant mc's out there

yes he's in my top 10 and for a reason too

- AZ

Luther Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:58 PM   #4
ShaDynasty
Bad Birds That Fuck Nerds

ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via MSN to ShaDynasty

he has a simple flow
but he spits very intelligent thoughts
Guru and Premier are the perfect union
and i really dont understand cats sayin that moment of truth was the best gang starr album
please tell me im not the only one who thinks their 3 records before it were much better
guru is not a wack rapper, hes one of the best of all time
he just gets his point across all the time, sounds dope, and more importantly
his lyrics are actually positive, something which cant be said of most rap music (underground or otherwise)
and hes ALWAYS a match for Premos beats
and thats high praise
ShaDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 07:01 PM   #5
Luther Large
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wu Masta Killer
he has a simple flow
but he spits very intelligent thoughts
Guru and Premier are the perfect union
and i really dont understand cats sayin that moment of truth was the best gang starr album
please tell me im not the only one who thinks their 3 records before it were much better
guru is not a wack rapper, hes one of the best of all time
he just gets his point across all the time, sounds dope, and more importantly
his lyrics are actually positive, something which cant be said of most rap music (underground or otherwise)
and hes ALWAYS a match for Premos beats
and thats high praise
agree with everything u said exept the moment of truth part

yeah he does come across simple sumtimes but he always gets his point across usually without being misunderstood yeah his thoughts are intelligent too

and even though his ryhmes can be simple the stuff he raps about is usually different than alot of mc's

- AZ

Old 05-10-2006, 07:17 PM   #6
PuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT
DEVIL BASTARD!!!

PuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT prodigal sonPuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT prodigal sonPuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT prodigal sonPuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT prodigal sonPuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT prodigal sonPuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT prodigal son

the greatest wack rapper?

what kind of bullshit is that?!?!?!

I think your shity opinions are great!
Old 05-10-2006, 07:40 PM   #7
xHard to Earnx
ADEPT

xHard to Earnx grasshopper

Lemonade was a popular drink.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:51 PM   #8
Luther Large
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xHard to Earnx
Lemonade was a popular drink.
and it still is

- AZ

Old 05-10-2006, 08:42 PM   #9
TAURO
El Don of this shit

TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Sometimes I think that everyone here is so used to listening to complex and cryptic rhyming from Wu-tang and other such artists that when you go back and listen to a straight forward mc like Guru it just sounds too basic despite the positive lyrics.
TAURO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:54 PM   #10
Prolifical ENG
Semi Retired

Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Is it because he is monotonic?

Nah I dont get sick of him.

You want to know a wack emcee with a tight DJ? Magoo.

Prolifical ENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:55 PM   #11
Luther Large
Veteran Member

i neva get sick of guru i luv'em just as much as the wu

- AZ

Old 05-10-2006, 09:08 PM   #12
Bedlam
Making cream

Bedlam shaolin monk
Send a message via AIM to Bedlam

I agree with the thread starter, sometimes I wanna hit Guru he's so simplistic, but other times, like on the song "Moment of Truth" he comes off as one of the best ever. Its not just cause he's monotone, its cause he seems lazy sometimes when he's writing.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:45 AM   #13
cap
THE ILL ONE

cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via MSN to cap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedlam
I agree with the thread starter, sometimes I wanna hit Guru he's so simplistic, but other times, like on the song "Moment of Truth" he comes off as one of the best ever. Its not just cause he's monotone, its cause he seems lazy sometimes when he's writing.
exactly.
couldnt agree more.

cap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:16 AM   #14
Cheech Da WildKard
Shotta Rap

Cheech Da WildKard grasshopper
Send a message via MSN to Cheech Da WildKard

What is wrong with simplistic rhymes?

Would you prefer him to be spittin' shit you didn't understand, or took years for you to work out? ...To me, that stops you enjoyin' the shit
Cheech Da WildKard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 12:24 PM   #15
TAURO
El Don of this shit

TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Masta ACE also has a straight forward rhyme style and I think it's great it just adds variety in the game, I do see peoples point about Guru but I would not ever say he was wack, if I want to listen to complex rhyming then I will listen to rappers that do that but sometimes I just want to hear something straight but keeping with the intellegent and positve lyrics.
TAURO is offline   Reply With Quote