news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > The Sports Zone

Old 05-18-2007, 05:45 PM   #166
Crackhead Bob
Lesbian Flamingo

Crackhead Bob Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Crackhead Bob Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Crackhead Bob Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Crackhead Bob Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Crackhead Bob Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Crackhead Bob Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Crackhead Bob Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Crackhead Bob Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Crackhead Bob Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Crackhead Bob Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Crackhead Bob Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

CASH GAME STRATEGY

Chapter 1 : An Introduction to the differences

I have been incredibly successful over the course of my career playing in both tournaments and cash games but I can say with absolute certainty, THEY ARE NOT THE SAME! The biggest difference between the two is the fact that everything you do in a tournament is so definite and rigid, one wrong move and you're done, so it's not really a good time to experiment and try different things. Your goal is clear and well defined, whereas in a cash game you never have a clue what your goal is until everyone has emptied their pockets and all the money is on the table. In tournaments, you want your moves to be stronger, so as to put the fear of death in your opponents. In cash games you want to "milk" your opponent for your last dime so the moves are designed to be small and tactful.

The bluffing aspect of the two games may be one of the biggest differences. In a tournament you must bluff to win. It's as necessary as breathing. You have a short amount of time to accomplish your goal and without stealing several pots, you will be blinded away unmercifully. In a cash game the blinds are uniform and never increase, so bluffing is not really a necessity. I have literally played for 16 hours straight and not bluffed at a single pot, and still wound up with a monster stack at the end of the night. In a tournament where the wrong move could lose you your buy-in, in a cash game the wrong move could cost you all your money and all the work you put in for several hours. You must adjust your game to make up for the differences and avoid the cash game pitfalls.

Last edited by Crackhead Bob; 05-20-2007 at 04:00 AM.
Crackhead Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 03:58 AM   #167
Crackhead Bob
Lesbian Flamingo

Crackhead Bob Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Crackhead Bob Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Crackhead Bob Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Crackhead Bob Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Crackhead Bob Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Crackhead Bob Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Crackhead Bob Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Crackhead Bob Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Crackhead Bob Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Crackhead Bob Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Crackhead Bob Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Chapter 2 : Random thoughts on Preflop Selection

In a tournament your preflop selection of hands is incredibly important. You must make good decisions as far as the strength of your hand is concerned because you can expect to be up against the strongest of hands that there are. In a cash game, depending on your opponents, use your imagination as to what they are playing because it could be anything. You want to look for anything at all that can give away the strength of their hand. For instance, I played with one player who still to this day (nobody gave up his tell) sighs whenever he has a monster hand. It has almost become instinctual as is my action afterward. I raise, he sighs and leans back in his chair, then throws in a huge raise. I muck before his bet hits the pot. I know he has it. He told me. Remember poker is a form of communication. Those who listen and learn to interpret the signals are winners. Those who are more interested in their IPOD's and that 17th beer are losers. It's just that simple. The point I'm trying to hammer home here is that it really doesn't matter at all what you play. It's what you do with it that matters. Cash games are about story weaving. You play any two cards and represent a hand. When I have a strong hand I like to represent a weaker hand and when I have a weak hand I like to represent a strong hand and vice versa. Mix it up. Keep your opponents guessing. This is generally completely opposite my tournament strategy which is to play weak hands strong and strong hands strong and keep my betting uniform throughout. I play so many different ways in a cash game because the opponents are generally the same for a long period of time so the same move might be recognized and not work the second time. Mix up your holdings and raises preflop. Limp with aces or raise huge. It doesn't really matter. Obviously a huge raise will signify you have aces, but you can "act" weak and still pull it off while inducing a reraise. Sometimes a slowplayed pair of aces will win you the biggest pot of the night. Sometimes you will allow your opponents to suck out on you and you will go broke. If you must slowplay a hand preflop, learn how to get away from it if the hand doesn't go your way. Aces are a great thing, but they aren't omnipotent. Learn how to get away from them if your read tells you that you are beat. The strongest of hands can be the biggest of losers in the cash games, and the worst hands imaginable can be the biggest winners. It's all a matter of how you play them.

Old 05-20-2007, 06:20 AM   #168
Longbongcilvaringz

Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

good advice,

cheers.

Longbongcilvaringz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 08:27 AM   #169
M_N

M_N grasshopper

Yesterday I played a free roll and won emourmous $0.6
well since I tilted couple weeks ago my poker accounts contained $0.03
with that $0.6 I played ONE hand limit hold em. Got QQ and won $1.4
now I had enough money to play a full table non turbo NL $1+0.3 si'n'go tournament. It look like that I could have lost the game but I won it and got $7(7.13 total)
so yesterday I multiplied 237,66666 times my money
M_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 01:03 PM   #170
Crackhead Bob
Lesbian Flamingo

^^^Great job! Although your math has confused me, but I guess thats just a part of being Scandanavian. I can't seem to figure you guys out at the tables either, lol. Anyway, keep up the good work and let us know of your progress...

Chapter 3 : Preflop Reads and Strategy for avoiding pitfalls Tonight!

Last edited by Crackhead Bob; 05-20-2007 at 01:05 PM.
Old 05-20-2007, 01:05 PM   #171
Prolifical ENG
Semi Retired

Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
If you must slowplay a hand preflop, learn how to get away from it if the hand doesn't go your way.
That is a critical sentence. In cash games it is most important to fold your big hand that you slow played and know that your opponents hit their hands later. If you don't it will kill your bankroll, and if you have had a little luck with other hands, you might just break even for the session.

It happens all the time, people continue to raise when they made trips from their high pocket pair when a flush or straight is highly possible.

Prolifical ENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 01:13 PM   #172
Crackhead Bob
Lesbian Flamingo

As prolifical will surely attest, the hardest thing in the game to do is fold a really good hand when you know you're beat. Doing so separates the good players from the truly great players.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:07 AM   #173
Crackhead Bob
Lesbian Flamingo

Chapter 3 : Preflop Reads and Strategy for avoiding pitfalls

PART A : The Squeeze Play

In a tournament, the third raise is almost always Kings or Aces. I routinely fold ace queen or even ace king when faced with a raise and a reraise. In a cash game, however, third raises preflop can mean anything depending on who you are playing with. I'll give you an example:

Player A is a loose player who raises routinely with any holdings. Player B is a player who reads well and is generally tight but aggressive. Player A raises in early position with a low suited connector. Player B recognizes the player is weak and re-raises with an ace rag suited. You are in third position with pocket threes. You know the first hand is probably really weak and player B is using that read to take advantage of the situation. Now its your turn and you make what is known as a "squeeze play". You raise a huge amount and both opponents fold like lightning. Why?
You have just represented a monster hand because of the third raise. They absolutely cannot call because your hand appears to be a dominating one. They have to put you on a hand like aces, kings or ace king all of which have them crushed. Its a neat and tricky play that is absolutely effective when the read is right. I would say it is about 85-90% effective, that is you won't get called but 10-15% of the time. Don't try it too often however as eventually your opponents will catch on and they will call you. Used properly and sparingly, this is one of the best bluff moves in the game.

Last edited by Crackhead Bob; 05-21-2007 at 10:49 PM.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:37 PM   #174
Crackhead Bob
Lesbian Flamingo

Part B : The Stop and Go

One of the worst mistakes amateurs make in a cash game is to give up the identity of aces in early position. They flat call in early position with bullets and then when raised, checkraise a huge amount, announcing to the world "I HAVE ACES!!!!". Instead of such an amateurish play, I will tell you about a move designed to both increase pot size preflop and disguise your aces so a medium to high pair will be trapped for all their money. In early or first position, instead of checking, raise 3-5x the blind. If re-raised and isolated against one other player, flat call instead of pushing. This is one of the best disguises of aces in the game. Now if the flop comes low and you are first to act, check to your opponent and wait for them to throw in a huge bet with their overpair. Now that they are committed you can safely go all in and expect a call. They won't believe their eyes when you turn over bullets! This is a low risk (about 10-20% failure rate) high reward play that works wonders toward building a monster stack.

***If you are first or last to act, and your opponent checks, beware the possibility that they flopped a set. It may save you from losing huge.

Avoid the limp-raise in first position with aces for two reasons:
1. You may not get raised and you are stuck in an unraised pot with multiple opponents
2. It is a dead giveaway

Last edited by Crackhead Bob; 05-21-2007 at 10:42 PM.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:11 AM   #175
Prolifical ENG
Semi Retired

Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

My time on WPX continues. Last week I actually lost money, but with the rakeback it appears I have broke even when I got my money back today...lol

My losses are simple as I shouldn't have been playing later on in the week when I wasn't in the mood for "really playing". That is, I was playing like an amateur.

Even though I have improved significantly over the last year in my tournament and no-limit game, I can still thrive in limit poker. Of course the game is stupid in a way, you only need to worry about a few things:

In a tournament when you are the chip leader, you can play differently based on the rest of the field and whos left, etc....Beautifulrock already explained 2 playing methods when you are up or down...but consider that is for freeroll strategy...however it can work for other low entry tourneys.

In limit poker you shouldn't switch the way that you play when you are winning or losing. When winning you may feel more lucky catching cards you might start playing any 2 using your luck...only to come into a big pot and you break even again. When people start losing, not catching cards...maybe even get dealt AA then KK right after and they never held up. Then you start wondering why the world isn't fair, instead of playing each hand at that time instead of remembering those losses. Then again gambles are taken by playing hands you would no normally play just hoping for a perfect flop until you are out of chips. Perhaps they are on tilt...you aren't playing...youa re feeling. You don't even need to bluff that much, although stealing those small pots time to time with perfect timing is easy.

Thats what I was doing.....my flops seen statistic was over 50%. Usually it is around 15-20% on a full table.

Usually I'm the one who preys on those people. Perhaps someone is catching everything....sometime Im going to swoop down and steal a pot off of him. Same as those players that start loosing. Their last few chips they wait for a half decent hand and then raise only to see my re-raise to get them all in...they want me to...but chances are they have a low suited connector...Im favoured to win.

Only other thing is to attack the new players. Especially if they buy in short...short money is usually scared money...unless they are truly an expert and they know how to play that position. But usually an experienced player would rather buy into a game with the heavy weapons to win big pots.

Prolifical ENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 05:57 PM   #176
Crackhead Bob
Lesbian Flamingo

Here is a question.....

What do you do when somebody is playing as agressive as possible on the table? He puts up pressure on every player on the table by raising or betting high before the flop...so how do you attack?
With pocket pairs? - while I'm waiting for good cards the blinds kill me.
Shall I go All-In and show a strong hand?
Or is the best way to attack that bastard with terrible cards, 2/7, A/3 etc. you know the list...

I'm assuming you are talking tournaments because you mention the blinds eating you up. In a cash game the solution would be simple, hang back and wait for the nuts then crack him. But in a tournament strategy where the time is short and you need to make a move or be blinded out, this type a player who raises every other hand is your best bet to double up. Aggression is only scared of one thing, extreme aggression. Pick a hand thats likely to be a favorite, (any pair/any ace/high suited connectors) and push over the top all in. Three things can happen.

1. He folds and you win the pot right there
2. He calls and you win a showdown
3. He calls and you lose a showdown

2 out of 3 of these occurrences are good for you. That is why you are always more than a 50% favorite when making this move and pushing first. In a tournament you have to make moves eventually this is the type of opponent you want to try and crack. With such aggression and so many moves preflop it is more than likely that his holdings are minimal at best. Try and gamble with the best of it. Don't attack players like this with really bad hands. They tend to call.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:11 AM   #177
Suga Duga
1%

Suga Duga Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Suga Duga Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Suga Duga Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Suga Duga Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Suga Duga Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Suga Duga Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Suga Duga Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Suga Duga Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Suga Duga Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Suga Duga Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Suga Duga Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

thanks for the quick response man, that's the kind of information I need, so thanks a lot!!!
Old 05-29-2007, 11:48 AM   #178
Roman Deini
WuCorp Million Dollar Man

Roman Deini shaolin monk

Some insightful tips beautifulrock. Last weekend had a bit of luck in a pokergame with family members. Had a pocket 2 in my hand so went along with the rest. Flop had 2 two's and a jack or queen. I raised, 3 people called. Turn I raised and 2 people called. River I raised and they called me. Shoulda seen the look on their faces when I showed the pocket two's in my hand.

“Catch your dreams before they slip away. Dying all the time, lose your dreams, and you will lose your mind. Ain't life unkind?”
Roman Deini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 03:32 AM   #179
Crackhead Bob
Lesbian Flamingo

Question No.2 - Slow Play (Tournament) Heads up

It was last summer as I played on Europoker as one guy killed me with his slow play. He NEVER raised, called nearly everything (including all-in) and never bet more than the blinds were.

Most of the time I tried to be aggressive with this player, after 3 hours, I was mentally done, cause nearly everytime I attacked he showed me the nuts.
How do you play a guy who is playing slow so solid without raising ONE time and showing no signs of havin strong hands? He was simply untouchable, one of the best I've ever seen.

For the slowplay artist the answer is easy. Match him move for move playing just as slow as he does. One constant among slow players is their innate knack for not recognizing when they themselves are being slowplayed. Use this to your advantage and keep the pots small on the front end of hands. Only spring into action when you are sure your hand is better. Avoid betting mediocre holdings on the river as this is a bad play against this opponent.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:34 PM   #180
Crackhead Bob
Lesbian Flamingo

sorry guys for the delay with my cash game strategy. I've been playing 15 hours a day on bodog so not much time. chapter 3 part c coming soon - the suck in.