news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > The Sports Zone

Old 07-13-2007, 03:36 PM   #226
Prolifical ENG
Semi Retired

Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizzoex View Post
I see that a lot of people on here find themselves calling even when they know that they are beat. I am not the greatest player, but everytime I lose I know that i just beat myself. Sure I am beat by the board on a few hands, but I am my own worst enemy. No matter how many times I do this and vow not to anymore, it doesn't change, I am thinking of taking a bit of a break from poker.
I think me and/or Rock covered this earlier on in this thread. Basically knowing when you're beat while holding good cards and folding them separates the very good players to the decent ones. Also, you don't have to let the world know you folded a flush, pocket kings, etc. which a lot of people do like they need to prove something.

People do cheat themselves all the time. All the time people will raise pre flop with KK and 4 people are still in the pot and the ace hits the flop and its like they don't even see the ace. Chances are one of those players has an ace.

Occasionally you might want to show a good hand you folded if you don't want extra action in the next few hours giving the hint you were betting with a good hand like always but usually you might want more action if you are playing tight for the most part. But on the other hand why do you care what other people think of you? You want their money.

The only exception is in limit holdem. Sometimes if the pot is already big and there is one bet to call the river, and you know how many outs can beat your hand, it is worth the extra bet to see what the player has.

Other than that you should really be paying attention from the beginning to know what the player's hand is so you know when you are beaten at the end. While you are playing poker, you should be playing another little game where you guess what the players have based on their position, betting and past hands.

Prolifical ENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:15 PM   #227
Prolifical ENG
Semi Retired

Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Well we got another example triumph with the smooth call today.

I was in a $5 SNG with 5 people left and I just happen to call the blind with Q6 unsuited.

The flop comes with 2 sixes. I check the other guy raises like 200....I call. Turn comes and its the other six to give me quads...I check the other guy bets I call again. River card comes and he goes all in. At this point I thought he probably made the boat. Nevertheless I type in "gg" before I called all his chips and he flips over JT....he had nothing! not even an ace...lol.

Well I did go on to win this small tourney from the sudden chip advantage.

The problem with quads is sometimes it is hard to get much out of it....especially when its only 2-3 people in the pot.

Old 07-20-2007, 01:29 AM   #228
beautifulrock
BIG DOUGH KEBAB

beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

for a synopsis of the 2007 WSOP final table go here first place took just over 8 million, 4 mil less than last year.http://www.cardplayer.com/poker-news/article/9305

While you were busy dissing Wu like a bitch ass/ I was getting served after sex breakfast/ Yeah, that BBW groupie shit/ can get you served a droopy dick/ fuck what you're speaking/ 'cause I throw W's with Puerto Ricans
beautifulrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 01:18 PM   #229
Prolifical ENG
Semi Retired

Checkraising

Well we discussed smooth calling a few times already, my favourite move in the game is the checkraise....my weakness may be I use it a tad too often than I should....but nevertheless I have profited with it in the long run.

I might as well make a little note about it. The obvious situation is when you know you are winning and trap the other player when you know he is going to bet to force you to fold. Of course you can bluff with it....I only bluff with it about 20-25% of the time. Usually if its a small checkraise they will call you and 90% of the time you will win the showdown. The most important part of the checkraise is knowing exactly how much you want to depending on many factors if you want him to call you and what the possible outs are etc.

But if you win many times with a checkraise, it may help you on future hands when you need a free card.

Being known as a checkraiser even on the flop....you can make a "thoughtful check" and they will anticipate a checkraise and hence will check in fear of a checkraise for the turn or river card when you are looking for a flush or straight draw.

Old 07-23-2007, 01:21 PM   #230
beautifulrock
BIG DOUGH KEBAB

beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)beautifulrock Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prolifical ENG View Post
Checkraising
Being known as a checkraiser even on the flop....you can make a "thoughtful check" and they will anticipate a checkraise and hence will check in fear of a checkraise for the turn or river card when you are looking for a flush or straight draw.
You just described me!

While you were busy dissing Wu like a bitch ass/ I was getting served after sex breakfast/ Yeah, that BBW groupie shit/ can get you served a droopy dick/ fuck what you're speaking/ 'cause I throw W's with Puerto Ricans
Old 07-23-2007, 01:45 PM   #231
Longbongcilvaringz

Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

house game tonight most probably, i will report back with all the gory details.

Longbongcilvaringz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 02:50 PM   #232
Prolifical ENG
Semi Retired

Mention the funniest online poker nicknames you seen/commonly play against:

- Bambaclat (used with the image of a black man with an afro character on full tilt poker....is rumored to be disguised as a pro)

others

nodumbnumbers
payatthiswindow
ill_bust_ur_nuts
i nut off of nuts
the_donk
permatilt

oh yeah...someone was playing big with the name Dirt_Mcgirt on pokerstars with the pic of ODB from the foodstamp ID card for their pic.

Last edited by Prolifical ENG; 07-23-2007 at 02:55 PM.
Old 07-24-2007, 02:24 AM   #233
Jizzoex

Jizzoex grasshopper
Send a message via AIM to Jizzoex

I went to Vegas last week. Lost money. Played in a tournament at Planet Hollywood for $60. There were 61 entrants. They payed 6 and I took 10th so that really sucked. I saw Scotty Nguyen and Layne Flack at Bellagio and took a pic with them.

That's my girl, me, Scotty, Layne, and my girl's bro.
Jizzoex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 03:27 AM   #234
beautifulrock
BIG DOUGH KEBAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prolifical ENG View Post
Mention the funniest online poker nicknames you seen/commonly play against:

- Bambaclat (used with the image of a black man with an afro character on full tilt poker....is rumored to be disguised as a pro)

others

nodumbnumbers
payatthiswindow
ill_bust_ur_nuts
i nut off of nuts
the_donk
permatilt

oh yeah...someone was playing big with the name Dirt_Mcgirt on pokerstars with the pic of ODB from the foodstamp ID card for their pic.
saw a couple of heads with the same wu symbol and the names lefthookjab and MEzY100 I'll post some funny ones later...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizzoex View Post
I went to Vegas last week. Lost money. Played in a tournament at Planet Hollywood for $60. There were 61 entrants. They payed 6 and I took 10th so that really sucked. I saw Scotty Nguyen and Layne Flack at Bellagio and took a pic with them.

That's my girl, me, Scotty, Layne, and my girl's bro.
Scotty Nguyen Baby!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-28-2007, 02:30 PM   #235
Longbongcilvaringz

Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

house game happened, and in short i got beaten in a situation which probability wise was more likely to go my way...in heads up. but i guess that the way it goes.

i got rags for a long period of time, and i decided to just play tight, knowing that there were at least 2 very loose players at the table who i could milk when i got dealt a decent pre flop hand. won two hands of significant worth, and was second in chip standings.

it got down to 3 players left, and eventually i knocked out one of the other guys.

in heads up, i was against a notoriously aggressive and loose player, when usually i come up against the tighter players.

he immediately started pushing all in pre flop, which was fine with me because i was confident he would do this regardless of his pre flop cards.

so i waited a few hands till i got something decent (from memory AK not suited) and called his 3rd consecutive all in.

he turned over A5, which was good.

flop came down, and i hit my k while he hit the 5. didnt worry me particularly, as the straight and flush wasnt helped on his side.

the turn helped neither.

by this stage i was just praying that he didnt hit the 5 on the river (earlier on he had hit a pair on the river to steal a decent amount of my chips)

and of course it came up.

i had marginally less chips than him so it was lights out for me.

ive made it to heads up in the last 3 games, and in the last 2 been beaten on the river. which makes me feel slightly irritated, but it does give me confidence that ive been able to consistantly push all in/call all in when i have a stronger hand.

for the moment though, it is proving annoying not having won either of these games.

Old 07-28-2007, 02:42 PM   #236
beautifulrock
BIG DOUGH KEBAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean michael View Post
house game happened, and in short i got beaten in a situation which probability wise was more likely to go my way...in heads up. but i guess that the way it goes.

i got rags for a long period of time, and i decided to just play tight, knowing that there were at least 2 very loose players at the table who i could milk when i got dealt a decent pre flop hand. won two hands of significant worth, and was second in chip standings.

it got down to 3 players left, and eventually i knocked out one of the other guys.

in heads up, i was against a notoriously aggressive and loose player, when usually i come up against the tighter players.

he immediately started pushing all in pre flop, which was fine with me because i was confident he would do this regardless of his pre flop cards.

so i waited a few hands till i got something decent (from memory AK not suited) and called his 3rd consecutive all in.

he turned over A5, which was good.

flop came down, and i hit my k while he hit the 5. didnt worry me particularly, as the straight and flush wasnt helped on his side.

the turn helped neither.

by this stage i was just praying that he didnt hit the 5 on the river (earlier on he had hit a pair on the river to steal a decent amount of my chips)

and of course it came up.

i had marginally less chips than him so it was lights out for me.

ive made it to heads up in the last 3 games, and in the last 2 been beaten on the river. which makes me feel slightly irritated, but it does give me confidence that ive been able to consistantly push all in/call all in when i have a stronger hand.

for the moment though, it is proving annoying not having won either of these games.
Take solace in the fact that it was luck that beat you and not your opponents or yourself. Clearly you are a good player if you make heads up the last 3 times. The luck factor just has to fall your way.

Old 07-28-2007, 03:03 PM   #237
Longbongcilvaringz

yes, this particular player is one of the most annoying ive ever played with, but i try to stay stoney faced.

during the game he was constantly saying that i was bleeding chips, because i kept on folding hands pre flop. a good player would have seen that i was playing tightly, but instead he called me all in (he had a bigger chip stack at the time) when i held KK and he had rags.

in fact, this certain player has financed many of my wins in the past because at a time i had a reputation for bluffing, and it has somehow stuck in his head.

i realise that playing tight will only work in certain situations, and im trying to improve my "trickyness", but coming so close to winning and then being beaten has put a dampener on my endeavour to play more adventurously.

slow playing is my main tactic if i decide to not play aggressively when i hold a hand, depending on my position and opponents.

Old 07-28-2007, 03:08 PM   #238
beautifulrock
BIG DOUGH KEBAB

Quote:
yes, this particular player is one of the most annoying ive ever played with, but i try to stay stoney faced.

during the game he was constantly saying that i was bleeding chips, because i kept on folding hands pre flop. a good player would have seen that i was playing tightly, but instead he called me all in (he had a bigger chip stack at the time) when i held KK and he had rags.

in fact, this certain player has financed many of my wins in the past because at a time i had a reputation for bluffing, and it has somehow stuck in his head.

i realise that playing tight will only work in certain situations, and im trying to improve my "trickyness", but coming so close to winning and then being beaten has put a dampener on my endeavour to play more adventurously.

slow playing is my main tactic if i decide to not play aggressively when i hold a hand, depending on my position and opponents.
I got an idea. Keep punishing the way you have been, firing only with good hands until he learns to fold. When he finally starts folding, show him a monster bluff. He will go so crazy he won't be able to even think about the cards and you will bleed HIM dry.

Old 07-28-2007, 03:19 PM   #239
Longbongcilvaringz

ha, yep thats a good idea, hes the kind of guy who also likes to think out loud, not a good attribute at the poker table imo (for him anyway).

and last game, he kept on telling people to hurry up etc, and was getting really frustrated...naturally i took as much time as i could on every hand following.

what are your opinions about going all in pre flop with pockets (either calling or pushing). this happens a few times last game, where a player pushed all in with say pocket 10's and was beaten. i'd always been of the opinion that it was a good move with only a few players left, but was weaker with 5 or 6 at the table. in heads up ive started playing very aggresively with almost any pocket (usually above 5's). would this tactic be profitable with only 3 players left at the table.

this is an aspect i feel i need to work on, getting a decent chip stack before heads up so i can control the game and allow room for a "lucky win" from the other player.

however im not sure whether to adopt tactic similar to heads up, or play in a similar fashion as the rest of my game...

any help would be much appreciated.

Old 07-28-2007, 03:29 PM   #240
beautifulrock
BIG DOUGH KEBAB

Quote:
ha, yep thats a good idea, hes the kind of guy who also likes to think out loud, not a good attribute at the poker table imo (for him anyway).

and last game, he kept on telling people to hurry up etc, and was getting really frustrated...naturally i took as much time as i could on every hand following.

what are your opinions about going all in pre flop with pockets (either calling or pushing). this happens a few times last game, where a player pushed all in with say pocket 10's and was beaten. i'd always been of the opinion that it was a good move with only a few players left, but was weaker with 5 or 6 at the table. in heads up ive started playing very aggresively with almost any pocket (usually above 5's). would this tactic be profitable with only 3 players left at the table.

this is an aspect i feel i need to work on, getting a decent chip stack before heads up so i can control the game and allow room for a "lucky win" from the other player.

however im not sure whether to adopt tactic similar to heads up, or play in a similar fashion as the rest of my game...

any help would be much appreciated.
If you are five-handed or less you can comfortably go all in with tens or better as the odds are less that one percent someone will have a higher pair. Using this move is predicated on situation tho. Remember, as players fall, you wanna get that much more aggressive. Actually if you make a list of playable hands, and expand that list as the table gets shorter, and follow that list as a guideline toward playing the hands, the game pretty much plays itself, that is the cards tell you what to do.