news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop

Old 05-27-2006, 03:30 PM   #1
Ghost In The 'Lac
crushed out heavenly

Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Default Ras Kass - Illest ever from the west coast?

We all know Eminem stole his style to the fullest and got famous with it. But this guy packs in more blowaway punchlines in ONE song that most rappers do in one album/career.

Check it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVkJnh7kxPA

Interesting Fact: Ras was a child prodigy in school, and graduated high school by 14 years of age.

Last edited by Ghost In The 'Lac; 05-27-2006 at 03:34 PM.
Ghost In The 'Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 04:02 PM   #2
SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
AKA THE PROTO-CHAOS

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

hell yeah all ras kass joints is fire and he has the classic soul on ice debut and the near classic raskassassassnation plus the sickest mixtapes and one classic never came out album that is "van gogh" i love style this is what rap should be

NON IGNORANT...

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 04:10 PM   #3
Ghost In The 'Lac
crushed out heavenly

Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

if anyone can up the classic unreleased joint "van gogh" that would be major respect. Man hes got a real interesting story aswell, the way the label fucked him over.

Wiki-ed

Career

Ras Kass released his debut album Soul On Ice in 1996. The album built up considerable hype through the release of several independent singles, including "High IQ" and "Won't Catch Me Runnin". Soul On Ice saw little commercial success but was adored by the hip hop underground, who appreciated both his sharp battle raps and his militant Afrocentricity. The latter also caused controversy due to the songs "Ordo Abchao" and "Nature Of The Threat" which were tracks detailing the history of white-on-black racism (the latter lasting for well over 7 minutes and likely his most well-known song). Many argued that Ras was extreme to the point of racism against caucasians, mostly since many listeners view much of the song as unsubstantiated conspiracy theories.

Ras Kass made a big push to make sure his second album Rasassination was commercially successful. As well as securing guest appearances from Xzibit and the Wu-Tang Clan's RZA, he received considerable assistance from superstar West Coast producer Dr. Dre, who provided beats for the album and rapped on the lead single "Ghetto Fabulous." The video for "Fabulous" was supported by an extravagant video shot on a luxury yacht.
Though this single became easily Ras' most popular among mainstream audiences, many of the underground enthusiasts who had adored his debut album accused him of watering down his subject matter for commercial success. The album in fact contained some of his most intellectual material to date ("Interview With A Vampire", a theological and spiritual exploration that featured Ras rapping from the perspectives of God, himself and the Devil) and occasionally addressed very personal subject matter ("It Is What It Is", concerning his relationship with his mother). Despite the smash single, his album still didn't sell as expected.

Ras Kass' third album Van Gogh was originally intended for release in 2001. However, the nearly-finished album was leaked onto the internet months before the release date. It received excellent reviews from fans and the hip hop media, but the bootlegging caused his label Priority Records to push the release date back twice before the record was eventually shelved indefinitely.
[edit]

My priority is that I'm first priority

This further worsened the relationship between the label and Ras Kass, which was already strained due to disputes over several things, including the level of promotion Ras was being given, and the supposed block of the Columbia release of his supergroup Golden State Warriors' debut album.
The bootleg Van Gogh album even featured the lyrics "Fuck Priority Records, like Prince I'm writing SLAVE on my cheek" (this was later fulfilled as Ras Kass appeared in popular hip hop magazine XXL with SLAVE written on his face).
The relationship between Ras and Priority reached breaking point when the label also shelved the intended Van Gogh replacement Goldyn Chyld, an album which featured tracks from Van Gogh as well as new material. The "indefinite postponement" was due to a dispute over the lead single: Ras wanted to release the DJ Premier-produced title track, while Priority wanted a Dr. Dre-produced track, against the wishes of both Ras and Dre. This prompted Ras to launch a "Free Ras Kass" campaign (supported by an on-line petition and T-shirts) to gain his release from the label.
This affected his personal life to the extent that his music and subjects became steadily darker, and he began drinking heavily. Eventually, he was convicted under California's "three strikes" rule for DUIs, and a warrant for his arrest was issued.
[edit]

Free Ras Kass

In 2002, Ras Kass went on the run from the authorities. While fugitive, he recovered the masters of his albums from Priority Records studios and eventually gave himself up and was promptly jailed.
While incarcerated, he organized the independent release of a mixtape titled Re-Up which featured himself and other artists. Priority Records unsuccessfully attempted to block this release. In May 2004, Ras filed a lawsuit against Priority Records, Capitol Records and EMI in protest at his treatment by the label and claimed breach of contract in an attempt to have it nullified.
[edit]

California love

After his release from prison in December 2004, Ras was met with nationwide support, even scoring the cover of XXL. He appeared on several radio shows and returned to the studio, releasing a few songs to some acclaim.
He then announced he would release a new album in 2005. To fire up his audience, Ras decided to drop the Guess Who's Back mixtape, which was mainly released through his official website at raskass-central.com. Though still not officially released because of the Priority Records situation, Ras did manage to independently release a mixtape/album entitled Institutionalized Vol. 1. Eventually, he was able to procure release from his contract. Revenge of the Spit, a 27 track mixtape featuring commercial instrumentals and original beats, was released in February, 2006. Institutionalized Vol. 2 is slated for a drop date in the summer. After that, Ras will then release another album under a new label. The title of this disc will probably be "Nuclear Winter", although there is a rumour circulating that the next major release will go under the acronymn "H.T.K.G". However, the meaning of this is not publicly known.
[edit]

The HRSMN

According to Canibus-central.com: [1]
The Horsemen is a collaboration between 4 rappers; Canibus, Ras Kass, Kurupt and Killah Priest. Together they have released one album called "The Horsemen Project" in 2003 on Think Differently Music/Proverbs Records. Since that release, fans are waiting for another album. Although some members of the group kept calling it "The Four Horsemen", Canibus always had the idea to add more people and form some kind of rap supergroup. Alot of names have been mentioned in the past; Pharaohe Monch, Kool G Rap, Pacman, Young Zee, Chino XL, Royce Da 5'9", Journalist, Common, Rakim, Pace Won, Keith Murray, Vinnie Paz, Lonnie B, Danja Mowf and Crooked I. Unfortunally, [sic] none of these rappers was made a member of the group. Although some of the people on that list featured on tracks. [edit]

Beef

The only real problem Ras has had with another artist was an affair with popular East Coast producer The Alchemist. The situation came about when Ras allegedly bought a beat before Alchemist re-sold it to Jadakiss without notifying Ras or returning his money. (The beat eventually became Jada's We Gon' Make It from his first LP.) The Alchemist has blamed Priority, stating that he had had no communication with the label for months before he sold the track to Jadakiss, and thus assumed that Ras Kass had declined to use it.
This prompted Ras to diss Alchemist in freestyles and on a rap from Van Gogh. Eventually he dropped the beef to concentrate on his legal problems, but still cites a loss of respect for the producer. However, in 2006, The Alchemist was featured on a skit in the Revenge of the Spit mixtape. Furthermore, in an interview with www.hiphopgame.com, Ras admits that he was being stubborn, and refused to listen to what the Alchemist was trying to tell him. The two have squashed the beef and Alchemist produced the song "Past Feature & Present" and did the intro for the song that was placed on Revenge Of The Spit.
Fans have speculated at beefs with Jadakiss, East Coast rapper Nas and fellow West Coast rapper The Game, all of which Ras flatly denies though people have made comments that on the song "Rassy Music" he took a subliminal shot at The Game saying "some of these niggas is suspect like poppin out of birthday cakes", supposedly making reference to The Game's previous job as a male stripper. He also denies any love being lost between him and Young Scipio, who was Ras Kass' former protege.
[edit]

Trivia

He created the name "Ras Kass" as his alias after the Ethiopian King Ras Kassa.
Ras Kass has twin boys called Ras & Taj with New Orlean's born R&B singer Teedra Moses.
Ras Kass is one of the reasons The Pharcyde was discovered by big label execs, as he gave the group advice on a certain place at which to perform; it turned out to be the place where they got their big break.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:45 PM   #4
dat MF

dat MF grasshopper

GHOSTLACED word.

Wild like rock stars who smash guitars!
-------
R.I.P. J Dilla a.k.a. Jay Dee (1974 - 2006)
dat MF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 04:50 PM   #5
Dante
Devils never cry

Dante grasshopper
Send a message via AIM to Dante Send a message via Yahoo to Dante

Ras Kass = Top 5 hip hop lyricist of all time
Old 05-27-2006, 04:57 PM   #6
maestro wooz
Veteran Member

maestro wooz Village Idiot

hes a beast
maestro wooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 05:23 PM   #7
venex
aka PROFIT

venex drunken mastavenex drunken masta
Send a message via MSN to venex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminal
hands down to dat !!!!!!!!!

he's is very ill, i'm diggin' souls on ice lately, ill stuff,

nature of the threat is INSANE !!! anyone feelin' this song ???

i'm not really in too the westcoast, but him and cypress hill and a few others I really like!
En garde, I'll let you try my wu-tang style...
venex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 05:26 PM   #8
TerroristTY
Vivid Laser Eye Guy

TerroristTY grasshopper
Send a message via MSN to TerroristTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminal
without a doubt
Old 05-27-2006, 05:49 PM   #9
chiba
N.I.

chiba five deadly venomschiba five deadly venomschiba five deadly venomschiba five deadly venomschiba five deadly venomschiba five deadly venomschiba five deadly venomschiba five deadly venomschiba five deadly venoms

woah woah woah

true rass kass is a dope mc
one of the best in the west

eminem style is noting like rass kass
there is a difference in flow and lyrics

BUT you cant sleep on Hieroglyphics (Pep Luv, Casual, Domino, Souls of Mischief, Del the funkee homosapien etc) Jurassic 5, Spearhead, Blackalicious, Zion i, Aceyalone, Chino XL, Kurupt, King T, Alkaholiks etc

im not sayin rass kass is garbage
he is ONE of the greatest from the west

peace
chiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 06:13 PM   #10
Sun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah
Found My Purpose

Sun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah crouching tigerSun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah crouching tiger

yeah to me he is THE best solo lyricist and he dropped THE best album from the west coast ever IMO Soul On Ice

"Reciting a biblical verse before I make your melon burst like that nigga Jules from Pulp Fiction...my salvation is salivation, and diction crucifixion" - Ras Kass

http://www.myspace.com/theblacksunn1 http://theblacksunn.blogspot.com

Sun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 06:37 PM   #11
Funk_Dock
Wu_gambino

Funk_Dock grasshopper
Send a message via MSN to Funk_Dock

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiba
woah woah woah

BUT you cant sleep on Hieroglyphics (Pep Luv, Casual, Domino, Souls of Mischief, Del the funkee homosapien etc) Jurassic 5, Spearhead, Blackalicious, Zion i, Aceyalone, Chino XL, Kurupt, King T, Alkaholiks etc

peace
you speak the truth man, dont sleep on those mcs

yeh rass is a top 5 lyricist, i got van gogh and a few other tracks, and im afraid that he suffers from the canibus syndrome, that is shitty beats and ILL lyrics

still standin tall
Funk_Dock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 06:52 PM   #12
maestro wooz
Veteran Member

maestro wooz Village Idiot

Quote:
woah woah woah

peace
the only one thats in his area code is del
maestro wooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 06:54 PM   #13
4-Bar Killer
criminologyrap

4-Bar Killer grasshopper

Yeah Ras is very ill, but the best Westcoast MC ever is still

Old 05-27-2006, 08:26 PM   #14
HipHophead101
ADEPT

HipHophead101 grasshopper

Quote:
woah woah woah

peace

COOOOOOOOO SIGN WITH EVERYTHING U SAID
Old 05-27-2006, 08:47 PM   #15
Longbongcilvaringz

Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

yeah, ras is ill. one my favourites form the east coast, probably the best lyricists from the west, but i still love J5, chino xl kurupt etc.

Longbongcilvaringz is offline   Reply With Quote