news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop

Old 06-02-2006, 10:27 PM   #1
Urban_Journalz
HANIF

Urban_Journalz prodigal sonUrban_Journalz prodigal sonUrban_Journalz prodigal sonUrban_Journalz prodigal sonUrban_Journalz prodigal sonUrban_Journalz prodigal son
Thumbs down Hip-hop Is Not Dead

Peace,
I've been seeing a few posts around asking, "Who thinks Hip-Hop is dying?" I have to say, a few years back, I did think this was true. Looking at it from a more realistic scale though, it's the furthest thing from the truth.

With the current slew of emcees, Immortal Technique, Aesop Rock, Hangar 18, Papoose, making true hip-hop music all day and night, Hip-Hop is actually at one of it's strongest points.
What pisses us off is, and rightfully so, is that the turely talented emcees and producers don't get enough recognition and respect.

Now, while that's distrubing, doesn't it feel good to be among the very few who actually KNOW who Killah Priest is?? Or who crack a smile when we hear that famous delivery, "2 years ago....a friend of mine..."?? To know how girfted a cat like Madlib is or to clown DJ Kay Slay because we know Rob Swift could serve him any day. Wether it be battlin' or production, seems to be a bit more thrilling in the grand scheme of things.

The Few, The Proud, The True. That's what the REAL HIP-HOP NATION is at this point. Sure, at this stage in history, we are the underdogs, but have you noticed that being the underdog is what makes our music so damn indestructable??

I still haven't hear Bronze Nazareth's album, but I trust the word of my fellow Wu-Bangas when they say this is a blast from the past. Now, although we KNOW Bronze's songs will never be played on the radio, it's still orgasmic to have someone ask, as you play it, or recite the lyrics, and as you tell them, "Bronze Nazareth. Wu-Fam". They look at you like..... Yet, when they hear it, they not only understand, but they feel like shit for sleeping on artists like that for so long. Meanwhile, you and I were down the whole time because we just love the music and refuse to convert.

It's a war y'all. For now, publicity is on the bullshit, but the bottom line is, none of the mainstream music is classic. You can't play it 8 years down the road and still have it be like, "Damn, I love that shit." WE know how that feels though, and through us, Hip-Hop will never die.

So, those of you who think it's dying, know that it isn't, it's just not getting a lot of airplay. That doesn't mean it's dying. Chances go 'round, and when peopl DO start to listen to the REAL Hip-Hop, we'll have the satisfaction of tellin' them how late they are in what they listen to.

Peace
Urban_Journalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 10:38 PM   #2
TAURO
El Don of this shit

TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Amen to that, although there are some commercial albums that will be remembered fondly down the line e.g Chronic 2001.

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
Method Man
TAURO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 12:31 AM   #3
Urban_Journalz
HANIF

Urban_Journalz prodigal sonUrban_Journalz prodigal sonUrban_Journalz prodigal sonUrban_Journalz prodigal sonUrban_Journalz prodigal sonUrban_Journalz prodigal son

True indeed, that album had some sick beats on there though.
As an aspiring DJ, I have an ear for a good beat even if the lyrics are so-so. The original Chronic was the illest though.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:16 AM   #4
Bone Collecta
Veteran Member

Bone Collecta grasshopper
Send a message via AIM to Bone Collecta Send a message via Yahoo to Bone Collecta

how many times must i tell u fools there is no such thing as "real hip hop"

Bone Collecta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 09:22 AM   #5
Urban_Journalz
HANIF

That's your opinion, and you're intitled to it. As for mine, don't try to change it, beecause it's a useless effort. There's real, and there's fake in my eyes. So don't waste my time with a petty dispute over the pseudo-philosophy of "every kind of hip-hop being related to every other." That may be true as far as subject matter and consumer audience, but I'M talking about longevity of impact and all around listening value. In which case someone like 50 Cent couldn't come close to KRS-One. That's like the difference between a belt-drive turntable and a direct-drive turntable, one is a rip-off, and one isn't. Simple as that.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:04 AM   #6
Bone Collecta
Veteran Member

Bone Collecta grasshopper
Send a message via AIM to Bone Collecta Send a message via Yahoo to Bone Collecta

lyrics dont make someone hip hop or not fool. hip hop is not a genre of music stupid its a culture. just because the quality has gone down doesnt mean its dead. have you looked on tv? it shows that the culture is bigger than ever there are so many hip hop related shows that are popular, so how can you say hip hop is dead?

how the fuck is music fake? there is no such thing as making fake music. 50 cent may not be as lyrical as KRS but he lives the hip hop lifestyle just as much as KRS does.

btw if u base everything on what KRS says then ur an idiot he is a big hypocrit and acts like he invented the shit.

Bone Collecta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 10:07 AM   #7
TUCO
THE DIFFERENCE

TUCO shaolin masta killaTUCO shaolin masta killaTUCO shaolin masta killaTUCO shaolin masta killaTUCO shaolin masta killaTUCO shaolin masta killaTUCO shaolin masta killa

its useless Bone Collecta....they never gon' learn

TUCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 10:21 AM   #8
venex
aka PROFIT

venex drunken mastavenex drunken masta
Send a message via MSN to venex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Collecta
how many times must i tell u fools there is no such thing as "real hip hop"
En garde, I'll let you try my wu-tang style...
venex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 10:33 AM   #9
snapple
i think i'm high

snapple prodigal sonsnapple prodigal sonsnapple prodigal sonsnapple prodigal sonsnapple prodigal sonsnapple prodigal son

some people just aren't hiphop and don't get it, cause of that they like to say it's dead and treat it like it's dissposable, fuck em who cares they look like morons when they preach about hiphop being dead, those kids 99 percent of the time don't know shit.

Realness
snapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 11:43 AM   #10
Hayabusa
Veteran Member

Hayabusa grasshopper
Send a message via ICQ to Hayabusa

Well me personally I see rap as rhythmn and poetry and thats what it stands for to me. I like rappers that spit poetry like Common and Mos Def but I got no problem with the snap hip popers like Young Joc that like to make party music because everyone can't be a poet on the mike and if everyone tried to be it would be borning and offer no diversity in the game. Me personally I like all the sub groups of hip hop like rap, miami bass, west coast, hip pop/snap, and etc. I think all hip hop is real hip hop but I like some types better like rap. Peps need to realize that there are a lot of sub generes and hip hop and its not all the same...Thats just my two cents though...

Hayabusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 03:29 PM   #11
THE W
ISRAELITE

THE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venoms

cant be dead when its all over the place. isnt hiphop the largest grossing musical genre right now?
The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:18-20)
THE W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 03:36 PM   #12
Sun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah
Found My Purpose

Sun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah crouching tigerSun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah crouching tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone Collecta
how the fuck is music fake? there is no such thing as making fake music.
that is true but at the same time when you have acts that are just trying to cash in on what's popular and don't put any creativity into it what would u call that?

"Reciting a biblical verse before I make your melon burst like that nigga Jules from Pulp Fiction...my salvation is salivation, and diction crucifixion" - Ras Kass

http://www.myspace.com/theblacksunn1 http://theblacksunn.blogspot.com

Sun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 03:41 PM   #13
THE W
ISRAELITE

THE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venoms

my issue with hiphop is the creativity but there isnt much you can do about it. you got millions of rap artists/groups out there and maybe 10 of them really pushing the envolope while the rest are just biting formulas to make it big.

it was more creative back then simply cuz everyone and their momma wasnt trying to be a rap star.
The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:18-20)
Old 06-03-2006, 03:43 PM   #14
Sun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah
Found My Purpose

Sun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah crouching tigerSun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah crouching tiger

^& that's what people mean when they say hip hop is dead. not the culture, the culture is a big time broadway ho right now. the SPIRIT is dead.

"Reciting a biblical verse before I make your melon burst like that nigga Jules from Pulp Fiction...my salvation is salivation, and diction crucifixion" - Ras Kass

http://www.myspace.com/theblacksunn1 http://theblacksunn.blogspot.com

Sun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 03:51 PM   #15
THE W
ISRAELITE

yes the creative spirit of hiphop certainly met its demise some years ago. which is why you're seeing a lot of these music trends/phases in rap. 1 person makes something new and fresh and 10,000 other artists bite it.