news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop

Old 06-06-2006, 12:09 AM   #1
Urban_Journalz
HANIF

Urban_Journalz prodigal sonUrban_Journalz prodigal sonUrban_Journalz prodigal sonUrban_Journalz prodigal sonUrban_Journalz prodigal sonUrban_Journalz prodigal son
Angry The Hat.....that fuckin' hat.......

I know you can all hear it. That undeniable sound in most songs these days that's replaced our beloved drumz. THE HAT!!!

Like so many other things, the shattering glass, the girl moaning, the gunshot, the police siren, this sound is being played out very, very fast.

The main problem is, other than it being annoying, it waters the music down. Now given, the artists who use these beats are mostly boo boo anyway, but for some of use who like crate-diggin', we want to look past the lack of wordplay for at least a tight beat!!!

I almost stopped using hats in my production because I started to hate the sound period. Should I use hats sparingly in my beats until the craze has died down? Or just throw my own creativity in there and say fuck the masses?
Urban_Journalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 12:26 AM   #2
Sun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah
Found My Purpose

Sun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah crouching tigerSun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah crouching tiger

what the fuck are you talkin about a hi-hat???

"Reciting a biblical verse before I make your melon burst like that nigga Jules from Pulp Fiction...my salvation is salivation, and diction crucifixion" - Ras Kass

http://www.myspace.com/theblacksunn1 http://theblacksunn.blogspot.com

Sun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 12:37 AM   #3
TUCO
THE DIFFERENCE

TUCO shaolin masta killaTUCO shaolin masta killaTUCO shaolin masta killaTUCO shaolin masta killaTUCO shaolin masta killaTUCO shaolin masta killaTUCO shaolin masta killa

wats a hat?

TUCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 12:52 AM   #4
Urban_Journalz
HANIF

Urban_Journalz prodigal sonUrban_Journalz prodigal sonUrban_Journalz prodigal sonUrban_Journalz prodigal sonUrban_Journalz prodigal sonUrban_Journalz prodigal son

It's like when you hit the tip of the cymbal on a drum set. Think about "Papa Was A Rollin' Stone" by The Temptations. The beginning of the song. It's a lot like that, only less echo.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:35 AM   #5
Longbongcilvaringz

Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

right... i didnt know this "hat epidemic" had occured.

Longbongcilvaringz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 12:02 PM   #6
Bedlam
Making cream

Bedlam shaolin monk
Send a message via AIM to Bedlam

wow, hats are almost necessary when making a beat. Its just people like Lil John who use incredibly rapid hats like 1/32, that over do it I guess. I don't mind it that much. Hats at 1/8 just add a head nodding effect, which Premier and most older producers use. You can't fucking take hats out of all beats, that would sound gay.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:53 PM   #7
T.H.O.M.A.S. Man
Veteran Member

T.H.O.M.A.S. Man grasshopper
Send a message via AIM to T.H.O.M.A.S. Man

the hi-hat is a completely different cymbal altogether. well it's two cymbals together (kinda like two bowls held to make a sphere) and you can open or close them with a pedal. its not just the tip of a cymbal.

I agree that the 1/32 incredibly fast hi-hat is seeing a lot more use, but when it's used right it adds some good energy to a track. It really depends on the beat.
Old 06-06-2006, 03:58 PM   #8
CYENCE
Veteran Member

CYENCE shaolin monk

more beats nowadays dont even use hi-hats...see The Big Bang album

CYENCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 05:03 PM   #9
Urban_Journalz
HANIF

Who the fuck said anything about taking hats out of a beat all together???? I said that it was being done entirely too much. Turn on your local rap station and see how often you DON'T hear a solid drum pattern. My question.....again....was should the hat be used as more of a special feature, or as the "new drum".

Personally, if it's used right, and not so often, I don't mind the hat. I've just heard too much of it lately, and it's starting to sound a bit Richard Simmons.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:17 PM   #10
Sun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah
Found My Purpose

Sun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah crouching tigerSun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah crouching tiger

how the hell can it be a new drum wdf special feature? ok whatever just...ok

"Reciting a biblical verse before I make your melon burst like that nigga Jules from Pulp Fiction...my salvation is salivation, and diction crucifixion" - Ras Kass

http://www.myspace.com/theblacksunn1 http://theblacksunn.blogspot.com

Sun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 05:20 PM   #11
Urban_Journalz
HANIF

thank you
Old 06-06-2006, 06:33 PM   #12
Bedlam
Making cream

Bedlam shaolin monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shropsher_Slasher
Who the fuck said anything about taking hats out of a beat all together???? I said that it was being done entirely too much. Turn on your local rap station and see how often you DON'T hear a solid drum pattern. My question.....again....was should the hat be used as more of a special feature, or as the "new drum".

Personally, if it's used right, and not so often, I don't mind the hat. I've just heard too much of it lately, and it's starting to sound a bit Richard Simmons.
The thing you gotta understand is the hat is a part of a drum kit. That makes no sense saying that hat is the "new drum" or it's replacing "our beloved drum". 99 percent of drumloops consist of kicks (the hard bass pounds), snares, and closed hats. Everysong on 36 Chambers has hats, Everysong on Liquid Swords has hats, 99% of RZA beats from 93-97 have hats. They aren't supposed to stick out like they do on Lil John songs, but they're definatly there, just to add a head nodding effect, and blend into the beat. Sometimes people substitute jingle bells (see Halftime or Microphone Feind) or shakers (see alot of club songs, most recently "Touch It"), or a constant open cymbol hit for hats. Very rarely do you hear a song without hats. I'd say most percent of the music you listen to has hats at 1/8, there's some with 1/4 (listen to Dreams by Game) and mostly southern stuff uses hats at 1/16 and 1/32 and alot of stuff doesn't use a constant hat, it uses varied speeds hats (Gravel pit is an obvious one). Alot drum beats also use open hats at certain parts.

I think what your tired of is the really rapid hats at varied speeds, but what do you mean its replacing the drum? Those songs still have kicks and snares. I don't mean to sound condescending, that whole paragraph above wasn't just for you, it was to help out some people who don't really know what hats are have much of an understanding of what they're listening to.

I'd answer you're question, but it makes no sense. How do you use a hat as a special feature? Its almost necessary in every beat. I'll try and rephrase you're question, Should hats be exclusively used as a background part of the beat (see most rza and primo beats) or should hats be used to create a dominant sound (see alot of southern stuff)?

Once again, i'm not trying to sound like a know it all, I'm just trying to make sense of your post, and provide people with a better understanding of what we're talking about here. peace
Old 06-06-2006, 08:09 PM   #13
PN_00
Veteran Member

PN_00 grasshopper

what's an example of a track that uses it too much?
no space for drivers, no space for walkers,
no space regardless,
your on my path then get off it,
hardheaded and unresponsive,
get they lives put on target with harshness,
come with the canons sparkin' they darken,
who am i? one man squadron.

PN_00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 08:30 PM   #14
Bedlam
Making cream

Bedlam shaolin monk

I guess songs like Lean wit it, Rock wit it or Laffy Taffy, songs with minimal beats, and alot of hat action. Lil wayne - Fireman as well. He should prolly answer this question, because he's the one who was complaining.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:07 PM   #15
Longbongcilvaringz

Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

i think hes talking about when the hat becomes a deminant part of the beat, in tracks such as Bedlam listed, lean wit it rock wit it, where there is minimal complex beat.

Longbongcilvaringz is offline   Reply With Quote