news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop

View Poll Results: Does it matter?
Yes, If you were there you appreciate it moreand understand it. 8 47.06%
No, Today you can measure the quality better because it can be compared 3 17.65%
Music remains the same, it doesnt matter when you hear it. 6 35.29%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-06-2006, 05:42 AM   #1
Longbongcilvaringz

Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Default Appreciation of Classics

Just been thinking lately whether appreciation of an album is different depending on whether you were into hip hop when it dropped or not.

Ive always thought that it makes little difference as the music remains the same but im wondering if i would have a changed appreciation of classics such as OB4Cl, LS, 36 chambers, illmatic if i had been into those artists and seen the reaction to the albums coming out.

another example is experiencing the lyrical change from the old school era to the early 90's when lyrics became more complex. when listening to artists like rakim, wu tang, nas, kool g rap, big daddy kane and krs-one post 95 there are more mc's with decent lyrics to compare them with (not many though).

do you believe that being around when the album came out gives a more truthful appreciation of the music or do you think it doesnt matter at all?

Longbongcilvaringz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:00 AM   #2
TAURO
El Don of this shit

TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

I think it doesn't matter at least to a degree, because unless you lived in the areas of where these mc's came from, there probably would not have been such big hype surrounding their albums. I was 13 in 93 but living in england and not having cable tv and I don't think the internet was common either mean't that I had to stumble on a lot of hip hop, plus being a kid mean't I had no money so what I would do was when I got money I would buy compilation tapes so that I could hear alot of rappers rather than buying individual albums, at least until I was old enough to buy my own shit.

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
Method Man

Last edited by TAURO; 06-06-2006 at 07:19 AM.
TAURO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 07:16 AM   #3
Spectrum7glr
Veteran Member

Spectrum7glr shaolin monk

I have to say it doesn't matter too because i lot of classics that i love i wasn't listening to rap back then
you can juste compare these classics with the rap that comes out now and you'll see the difference
and for example, when Liquid Sword came out i was 7 years old so i was too young but it's my favorite album of all time
Spectrum7glr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 08:09 AM   #4
Longbongcilvaringz

Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

nice comments. keep em coming.

Old 06-06-2006, 09:39 AM   #5
PuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT
DEVIL BASTARD!!!

PuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT prodigal sonPuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT prodigal sonPuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT prodigal sonPuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT prodigal sonPuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT prodigal sonPuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT prodigal son

they way I see it is that I am a fan of hip hop and I support the artist I like by buying their cds. But since I wasn't around new york around the late 80s and 90s when it was popping then I would say I am not part of that movement. I didn't live it.

But that don't bother me or get worried about some of these elistest pricks that whine on the internet about this real deal shit.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:49 AM   #6
Spectrum7glr
Veteran Member

I'd like to add that if the album is a real classic, it got to be timeless, so even when you listen to a classic 10 years after it was release, you will still appreciate
beeing part of the movement most be really something but you can still appreciate a classic if you missed it
Old 06-06-2006, 08:09 PM   #7
Longbongcilvaringz

^thats another point altogether, cause im not sure whether a classic HAS to be timeless, i dont think run dmc is timeless...

Old 06-06-2006, 08:13 PM   #8
Spectrum7glr
Veteran Member

i think i can only say that it's a question of opinion
to me it's not a real classic if it's not timeless
Wu Forever
Old 06-06-2006, 08:16 PM   #9
TAURO
El Don of this shit

TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

36 Chambers is a classic because I still play it with the same enthusiasm from when it came out, or in my case from date of purchase somewhere in 97.

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
Method Man
TAURO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:29 PM   #10
Spectrum7glr
Veteran Member

that's what i meant by timeless
Old 06-06-2006, 11:41 PM   #11
Robert
1%

Robert Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Robert Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Robert Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Robert Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Robert Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Robert Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Robert Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Robert Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Robert Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Robert Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Robert Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

It shouldnt matter when you hear the album,if its classic it should still be appreciated just as much. Sure, some background information of the time when the album was dropped may aid your appreciation but give any cat Illmatic in ten years time and they'll still be craving that shit, it wont have become dated
peace

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:37 AM   #12
The Hound
Fuck the King

The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

isnt an album being timeless wot makes it a true classic? if an album comes out this year thats truely dope as hell, second to none for the last 5 years, but in 2 years we aint feelin it anymore and dont bump it, it was just dope at its time, is it a classic? 36 chambers is a classic, because 99% of people who own still bump it over 10 years since it came out, never getting sick of it, rather than just casualy rotating it thru the box for a one of nostalgia trip of the good ol days
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTLACED View Post
I say nigga and i'm white
The Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:35 AM   #13
Longbongcilvaringz

^nice answer.

Old 06-07-2006, 10:11 AM   #14
4-Bar Killer
criminologyrap

4-Bar Killer grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wu-Matic
Most definetly, but it's not like you can't appreciate the earlier stuff. There's just something about that time period, even beyond the music that makes an album special.
yeah.. I would have loved to been like maybe 18 or something back in '95.. Im a big fan of that whole Firm thing, so I would have liked to see how it was when rumors started to spread about that supergroup.. and also how the media and people recieved the album which could have been so much better.. But as wu-matic said, it's not like I can't listen to g rap, bdk etc. just because I wasnt born back then..