news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop

Old 06-29-2006, 02:18 AM   #16
Robert
1%

Robert Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Robert Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Robert Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Robert Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Robert Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Robert Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Robert Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Robert Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Robert Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Robert Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Robert Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

^^Im not being a hypocritic, you can rap about wtf you want as long as thats done with skilled raps and dope beats. Why should someone who can hardly speak be credited for selling a million records? I know that money is important to the artist but you cant tell me that Gangstarr dropped Moment Of Truth to go platinum, they did that shit coz they believed in it.

Course they doin it for money, you got cats that cant even rhyme (DFB) spitting the worst verses i've ever heard over some shit crunk beat for the clubs. Thats a blatant grab for cash, its like they aint got skills so lets put our shit over a commercial beat and hope for the best.

Of course this sort of stuff has its place but this part of hip hop is too prominant right now imo.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 02:22 AM   #17
The Antagonist
CHAMILLITARY

The Antagonist grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamel The Prophet
Money the essence of Hip Hop? That is bullshit.
It never used to be. When NaS dropped illmatic is wasnt about the money, When Mobb Deep did The Imfamous it was for the love of the music, is it just me or when money becomes the main goal of an artist (think Nas, Mobb Deep, Jigga) thier material also becomes far weaker?
No, money isn't the essence of hip-hop. But times have also changed since "Nas dropped illmatic" and the way things are expressed are different. Groups like G-Unit represent a very real aspect of hip-hop. So dont take the term "real hip-hop" out of context, its really a worthless term. In fact, its all hip-hop. The only thing I can think of that deserves the title of "fake hip-hop" are the idiots that this topic is about. And dont get me wrong: I'm not saying people should like every artist there is, because theres a lot of really, really wack shit out there, but when people shut themselves off, thats rediculous. If you just indecriminantly say G-Unit sucks....Three 6 sucks...Rick Ross sucks...shit, why dont you just spray mase directly in your eyes and blind yourself to make it official.

Quote:
I think thats what peeps are saying when they say the term real hip hop, they mean mcs and DJ's that do it for the love of the music and not just to sell a record (though obviously money is necessary) and i think this shows in the final product. So then why would i go cop50 Cents latest commercial record when i could go get Bronze Nazareth or someone else that's got something to say?
Yeah thats true. Really who I was targeting is the people who say, "Mainstream MCs SUCK! They have no content! I only listen to real hip-hop that has uber lyrics and is concious." Its just ironic, because these kids think they are so smart when they are the ones that are ignorant as fuck.

Quote:
I'm not saying commercial rap doesnt hav its place but when that is the dominate type of music in hip hop there's a problem imo.
peace
Maybe. I really dont see it as a problem. I think the reality is that people are going to like the stuff where they can just listen to a tight beat and a tight chorus...theres always going to be the hip-hop heads who love those MCs and the ones Underground, In-Tha Ground...whatever. Its when people try to seperate the two and act like its some Star Wars shit, Rebels against the Empire...please. Thats the shit that pisses me off. And that shit has been going on a lot over the last couple years. Everybodys a critic now, and that includes dumbass kids that dont have a clue.

Last edited by The Antagonist; 06-29-2006 at 02:25 AM.
The Antagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 02:25 AM   #18
Punch
Veteran Member

Punch iron monkeyPunch iron monkeyPunch iron monkey

^^But evidently enough people like it to make it go plat, so who are you to say what is "good".

Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 02:26 AM   #19
Robert
1%

Robert Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Robert Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Robert Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Robert Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Robert Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Robert Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Robert Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Robert Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Robert Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Robert Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Robert Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punch
Illmatic and Infamous were about money, I mean saying they made that shit for the music is being a little naive.

This Us vs. Them, Real Hip-Hop vs. Pop Rap is really lame. It's all the same shit. G-Unit is saying the same shit as Ghost and Rae and Nas and Biggie and Mobb... The quality maybe different, but tehn again, there are plenty of "underground" rappers, and Wu Fam, that just plain suck.

Hip-Hop isn't dying, it never was.Good Hip-Hop is, and always has been out there. Now there are even more outlets for it, so why can't we all let everyone do what they want, make and listen to the type of music they want. It won't effect you if you don't let it.

Yeah but the beat choice and raps werent commercial in anyone's mind so i dont know how you how you can say they did it for the sole intention of money, and the money they talk of getting on those albums is drug money anyway.

Old 06-29-2006, 02:28 AM   #20
The Antagonist
CHAMILLITARY

Quote:
^^But evidently enough people like it to make it go plat, so who are you to say what is "good".
I didn't say that did I? I thought I made it clear I think people should love hip-hop with an open mind.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:30 AM   #21
The Antagonist
CHAMILLITARY

Quote:
Yeah but the beat choice and raps werent commercial in anyone's mind so i dont know how you how you can say they did it for the sole intention of money, and the money they talk of getting on those albums is drug money anyway.
I will say that the situation was somewhat different because being an MC wasn't the lucrative proffesion it is today. People getting into the mainstream hip-hop scene know exactly what kind of music to make and exactly how much money they can make.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:33 AM   #22
Punch
Veteran Member

Quote:
I didn't say that it was soley money, but the theme of getting paid runs throughout both albums metioned.
Why does it matter if it was drug money or not? The main goal, no matter how, is getting paid. Isn't that what all of our favorite rappers have told us?

Old 06-29-2006, 02:34 AM   #23
Punch
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Antagonist
I will say that the situation was somewhat different because being an MC wasn't the lucrative proffesion it is today. People getting into the mainstream hip-hop scene know exactly what kind of music to make and exactly how much money they can make.
exactly. Commercial rap back then meant MC Hammer, Vanilla Ice. Now Hip-Hop is huge, with proven formulas for selling millions of records

Old 06-29-2006, 02:35 AM   #24
Robert
1%

Is it getting paid from albums? Coz as far as i see it if you dont use commercial raps or beatsthen your main purpose aint money, thats just my opinion though
peace

Old 06-29-2006, 02:44 AM   #25
Punch
Veteran Member

I see what you're saying, and I sort of agree. But when these artists talk so much about getting money, no matter how, you have to believe that it's important to them.
It's like these rappers who want to be actors. That shit bothers me more than anything. It's like they're using the music as a means to an end(once again that almighty dollar)

Old 06-29-2006, 02:45 AM   #26
Bone Collecta
Veteran Member

Bone Collecta grasshopper
Send a message via AIM to Bone Collecta Send a message via Yahoo to Bone Collecta

Quote:
^^Im not being a hypocritic, you can rap about wtf you want as long as thats done with skilled raps and dope beats. Why should someone who can hardly speak be credited for selling a million records? I know that money is important to the artist but you cant tell me that Gangstarr dropped Moment Of Truth to go platinum, they did that shit coz they believed in it.

Course they doin it for money, you got cats that cant even rhyme (DFB) spitting the worst verses i've ever heard over some shit crunk beat for the clubs. Thats a blatant grab for cash, its like they aint got skills so lets put our shit over a commercial beat and hope for the best.

Of course this sort of stuff has its place but this part of hip hop is too prominant right now imo.
how is it a grab for cash? sooo worst lyrics means you sell more? uhhhhh no. its just wats popular now. when ppl were lyrical in the 90s thats what was popular then. soo none of them were trying to grab for cash? just because lyrics arent good today they are trying to get cash hmmmmm sounds alittle stupid to me.

plus artists dont make sales off their albums fools. the label does.

back in the 90s wu tang and nas were commercial, in the 80s big daddy kane, rakim, etc were commercial but these days all the sudden being commercial is bad.

Bone Collecta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 02:47 AM   #27
Bone Collecta
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to Bone Collecta Send a message via Yahoo to Bone Collecta

Quote:
I see what you're saying, and I sort of agree. But when these artists talk so much about getting money, no matter how, you have to believe that it's important to them.
It's like these rappers who want to be actors. That shit bothers me more than anything. It's like they're using the music as a means to an end(once again that almighty dollar)
BDK and Slick Rick had chains and shit. BDK bragged about the women and jewels he had.

same as rakim at one point.

sugar hill gang are less lyrical than the franchize boys so why are they hip hop but dem franchise boys arent?

thats hypocritical

Old 06-29-2006, 02:54 AM   #28
Bone Collecta
Veteran Member

i said a hip hop the hippie the hippie
to the hip hip hop, a you dont stop
the rock it to the bang bang boogie say up jumped the boogie
to the rhythm of the boogie, the beat
now what you hear is not a test--i'm rappin to the beat
and me, the groove, and my friends are gonna try to move your feet
see i am wonder mike and i like to say hello
to the black, to the white, the red, and the brown, the purple and yellow
but first i gotta bang bang the boogie to the boogie
say up jump the boogie to the bang bang boogie
let's rock, you dont stop
rock the riddle that will make your body rock
well so far youve heard my voice but i brought two friends along
and next on the mike is my man hank
come on, hank, sing that song

Why is this hip hop?

Ain't too clean to wanna pop lock from left to right and make a lean,
Bobbin to da beat, check my feet, he ain't got these!
I rock them, bend my knees everytime the beat drop lean wit it, rock wit it, freeze before yo fingers pop
Purple lean, purple, green, grams in my socks
What the fuck you mean u ain't seen Buddie on tha block?!
They call me Doctor Doc, I prescribe what a nigga need
Make 'em lean and rock, old school people pat ya feet

and this isnt?

Old 06-29-2006, 03:03 AM   #29
Robert
1%

Lol, DFB are more on the same lyrical level as a group from the eighties! Thats the problem imo, ppl care more about a club beat, something they can dance to then lyrics so as a result commercial rap generally has weak lyrics as you just proved. How is it good for hip hop that most of the rap out there is like that?
answer me that

Old 06-29-2006, 03:04 AM   #30
Robert
1%

How do artists make money sir if they dont off there albums?