news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop

Old 08-11-2006, 03:29 AM   #16
Jeru
Non Ignorant

Jeru fist of furyJeru fist of furyJeru fist of furyJeru fist of furyJeru fist of furyJeru fist of furyJeru fist of furyJeru fist of furyJeru fist of furyJeru fist of furyJeru fist of fury
Send a message via AIM to Jeru Send a message via MSN to Jeru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorsharp View Post
there are plenty artists that compose ILL lyrics... u jus have to find them

TRUTH, they haven't gone extinct there just harder to find due to the commerical smokescreen being put up.

Winner of The Masta Killa Award 2007
New and Improved Cool List : Everybody
The Cool List name and product is protected under the laws of I used it first.All rights reserved
Jeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 03:41 AM   #17
TAURO
El Don of this shit

TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeru View Post
TRUTH, they haven't gone extinct there just harder to find due to the commerical smokescreen being put up.

I think he means in a commercial marketplace not the underground.

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
Method Man
TAURO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 05:21 AM   #18
ShaDynasty
Bad Birds That Fuck Nerds

ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ShaDynasty Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via MSN to ShaDynasty

hip hop is getting absorbed into the mainstream
you see timbaland with nelly
shakira with wyclef
premo with christina
white pop singers are being converted into hip hop artists, and rappers are becoming pop stars
for real these mainstream motherfuckers need to take the music back
this is HIP HOP!!!!
ShaDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:41 AM   #19
JackTrippa718JR
Veteran Member

JackTrippa718JR grasshopper

the question of did lyrics take a back seat to a catchy hook is a tough question because it depends on who you ask. Someone like me looks for just a good song as a whole with good lyrics not just a catchy hook. But other people prefer to just listen to a catchy hook. This is all opinion and should stop being argued.
JackTrippa718JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 03:39 PM   #20
Prolifical ENG
Semi Retired

Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

LMAO concious rap never sold records.....no matter what years you are looking at.

Lyrics never left hip-hop and catchy hooks were always on the charts.

Prolifical ENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 03:48 PM   #21
Razorsharp
Take It Personal

Razorsharp shaolin masta killaRazorsharp shaolin masta killaRazorsharp shaolin masta killaRazorsharp shaolin masta killaRazorsharp shaolin masta killaRazorsharp shaolin masta killaRazorsharp shaolin masta killa
Send a message via AIM to Razorsharp Send a message via MSN to Razorsharp Send a message via Yahoo to Razorsharp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Unseen View Post
^so you'll know who to download off a lime wire right? haha. I'm not pointing fingers. I'm guilty of that shit myself, I just shy away from downloading whole albums. If I like 'em that much I'll just buy it.

Limewire?? hell nah... im not that stupid... my friend's homie, they went to his house and busted him 8,000 bucks up front or else he would go to court and basically pay more..thats a no no

Throw Ya W's Up!
Propz To Sean For Kickin' The God A Siggy

Last edited by THE W; 08-11-2006 at 07:43 PM.
Razorsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 06:44 PM   #22
PLO-Stylez
ADEPT

PLO-Stylez grasshopper

its about the marketing meaning who is going to buy the album if u have ppl who like real hip-hop lyrics beats everything and they download shit or share songs over the net and bitch about how rap is turnig to BS (sound like some1 u know?)

but on the other hand u have ....

12 yr old kids who dont use a computer to download/dont have one or dont know how... they buy the album/ and or ppl mainly women who want something to dance to and have a catchy hook / and not to mention all the white suburb kids who think they are black they turn on the TV and see Mike Jones singing bout his rims so they think that is how to be black

The only way i can see it change is if buisness who backs the pop mainstream say "we dont want more money we stand for integrity and having art back in the music" when the fans say they want lyrics back then we will get it

Also maybe if hip hop leadership steps up and takes a stand never mind there is no hip hop leadership

Last edited by PLO-Stylez; 08-11-2006 at 07:04 PM.
PLO-Stylez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:31 PM   #23
Butter
Hunger Pains..

Butter grasshopper
Send a message via AIM to Butter Send a message via MSN to Butter

you just aint listening to the right people..
Old 08-11-2006, 07:34 PM   #24
Ghost In The 'Lac
crushed out heavenly

Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prolifical ENG View Post
LMAO concious rap never sold records.....no matter what years you are looking at.

Illmatic was pretty concious it was a retrospective on life type shit, whole of New York was diggin it. The only records in NY that used to sell were what you call concious, they never got on all that gangster shit as much as West Coast were, New York was always about freestyle punchlines MCing, just kicking a hot hot verse from the park. Its only more reent that there is 99% NY gangster rappers.

The most populer NY rappers in the 90's were all "freestyle" type MC's like Prodigy, Wu Tang, Nas, Jay Z, apart from Prodigy (whose still a freestyle rapper) , none of these guys were selling records because they were talking about guns, they werent talking about it like that.

Go back to The furious Five &Grandmaster flash "The Message" that was the BIGGEST fucking rap record of the Whole of the 1980's and probably the biggest seller, so how can you say concious NEVER sold records?
Old 08-11-2006, 07:59 PM   #25
Prolifical ENG
Semi Retired

Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostlaced View Post
Illmatic was pretty concious it was a retrospective on life type shit, whole of New York was diggin it. The only records in NY that used to sell were what you call concious, they never got on all that gangster shit as much as West Coast were, New York was always about freestyle punchlines MCing, just kicking a hot hot verse from the park. Its only more reent that there is 99% NY gangster rappers.

The most populer NY rappers in the 90's were all "freestyle" type MC's like Prodigy, Wu Tang, Nas, Jay Z, apart from Prodigy (whose still a freestyle rapper) , none of these guys were selling records because they were talking about guns, they werent talking about it like that.

Go back to The furious Five &Grandmaster flash "The Message" that was the BIGGEST fucking rap record of the Whole of the 1980's and probably the biggest seller, so how can you say concious NEVER sold records?
Relatively consious rap doesnt sell and never has....yes I know all those classic concious albums that went platinum... Remember that this thread is focusing on the last approximate 4 years...you are bringing up old history. I know what you are getting a though....but at that time hip-hop wasnt as big of an industry.

In 1990 MC Hammer went diamond

Last edited by Prolifical ENG; 08-11-2006 at 08:02 PM.
Prolifical ENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 08:06 PM   #26
GhettoGnom
Veteran Member

GhettoGnom Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)GhettoGnom Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)GhettoGnom Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)GhettoGnom Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)GhettoGnom Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)GhettoGnom Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)GhettoGnom Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)GhettoGnom Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)GhettoGnom Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)GhettoGnom Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)GhettoGnom Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

I haven't read anything here, but if you think that there's no good lyrics today, you're dumb...
proof?

Why you cut school? 'Cause you ain't feel too good
I cut school 'cause my cuts ain't heal too good
Through all the physical abuse my mind escaped through the gift of wordplay
I memorized encyclopaedias and dictionaries
I wrote anthems from antonyms, harmonies from homonyms
Created cinema from synonyms
Was livid to eliminate that illustrious life you livin' in
Wrote rhetoricals in rhythms
I could paralyze with a parable, make rhymes out of religion
Crucify you with a prefix, or suffocate you with a suffix
Wrote lectures so infectious it's known to infect the listeners
Who dissin' us?
Yo punks you wait... I punctuate
My karma's the comma
That puts you inside of a coma
Hyphen, dot, dot, semi-colon, leave you semi-swollen
Question mark, you pregnant?
Oh you're not? I love you, period.
To sum it up, language is my essence
Fucked up in all my adolescence 'til my Moms was out of lessons
Laws: I store convenient
Still I rob a convenience store
Love Mom, Fuck Mom, shit I ain't love me no more
Mentally it didn't register, bitch
Empty the register, bitch
You just a cashier, bitch
Give the cash here, or I'll shoot you in your cabbage
Hijack a getaway cab, bitch
Words ain't makin' me no loot, don't change now Dow Jones average
Regardless, we Godless
They stole my innocence
In a sense, the judge sentenced me to three lifetimes sentences
To write my life and times and sentences
Art my dark archnemesis
They want me off the premises, that's what the premise is
Locked on a tier where you can't shed a tear at
Studied more Shakespeare than any African shakes a spear at
And the whole world fear that, and it hurts
I got caught killing time, but then I got with words
-Archetype

GhettoGnom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 08:15 PM   #27
tical2000
Veteran Member

tical2000 iron monkeytical2000 iron monkeytical2000 iron monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoGnom View Post
I haven't read anything here, but if you think that there's no good lyrics today, you're dumb...
proof?

Why you cut school? 'Cause you ain't feel too good
I cut school 'cause my cuts ain't heal too good
Through all the physical abuse my mind escaped through the gift of wordplay
I memorized encyclopaedias and dictionaries
I wrote anthems from antonyms, harmonies from homonyms
Created cinema from synonyms
Was livid to eliminate that illustrious life you livin' in
Wrote rhetoricals in rhythms
I could paralyze with a parable, make rhymes out of religion
Crucify you with a prefix, or suffocate you with a suffix
Wrote lectures so infectious it's known to infect the listeners
Who dissin' us?
Yo punks you wait... I punctuate
My karma's the comma
That puts you inside of a coma
Hyphen, dot, dot, semi-colon, leave you semi-swollen
Question mark, you pregnant?
Oh you're not? I love you, period.
To sum it up, language is my essence
Fucked up in all my adolescence 'til my Moms was out of lessons
Laws: I store convenient
Still I rob a convenience store
Love Mom, Fuck Mom, shit I ain't love me no more
Mentally it didn't register, bitch
Empty the register, bitch
You just a cashier, bitch
Give the cash here, or I'll shoot you in your cabbage
Hijack a getaway cab, bitch
Words ain't makin' me no loot, don't change now Dow Jones average
Regardless, we Godless
They stole my innocence
In a sense, the judge sentenced me to three lifetimes sentences
To write my life and times and sentences
Art my dark archnemesis
They want me off the premises, that's what the premise is
Locked on a tier where you can't shed a tear at
Studied more Shakespeare than any African shakes a spear at
And the whole world fear that, and it hurts
I got caught killing time, but then I got with words
thats not why I made this Thread.....go back and read what I wrote

I am saying that when I used to turn on the tv in the 1990's rappers had skills, even in the early 2000's dudes could rap (Jay-Z, Eminem, etc) even if you did not like there poppy singles, the guys actually had skills. Today when you turn on the TV dudes are doing straight pop songs, but I dont feel that these guys can rap to save their life (Nich Cannon, Rick Ross, Mike Jones, Chingy, DRL, Dem Franchise boys, young joc, etc etc).....

My point is that lyrics are not even the focus of labels anymore, it used to be, "go out and sign the dude who can spit the best" in the 1990's, then it moved to "go and sign the guy who can spit the best and make him do some crossover joints" in the early 2000's, and today in 2006 it seems like the lables are like "who cares if the guy can rap, we can just mold him into what we want him to be, as long as there are catchy hooks"

It just seems that dudes used to have to prove themselves with lyrics, today cats seem that they dont really give a fuck anymore, its just about moving units

"We got the tape Nigga"- Raekwon live in Toronto

Last edited by tical2000; 08-11-2006 at 08:19 PM.
tical2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 09:28 PM   #28
PLO-Stylez
ADEPT

PLO-Stylez grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tical2000 View Post
My point is that lyrics are not even the focus of labels anymore, it used to be, "go out and sign the dude who can spit the best" in the 1990's, then it moved to "go and sign the guy who can spit the best and make him do some crossover joints" in the early 2000's, and today in 2006 it seems like the lables are like "who cares if the guy can rap, we can just mold him into what we want him to be, as long as there are catchy hooks"

It just seems that dudes used to have to prove themselves with lyrics, today cats seem that they dont really give a fuck anymore, its just about moving units
All True^^^^

It probably wont change anytime soon unless maybe guys like Jay who have the power to change things and make statements that carry in the pop industry step up and be the leader. But he dont he just keeps seein dollar signs. I got nothin but respect for Jay on the mic but in a role where he is supposed to be the leader in an industry he just seems like he ther for show
Old 08-11-2006, 09:44 PM   #29
tical2000
Veteran Member

tical2000 iron monkeytical2000 iron monkeytical2000 iron monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLO-Stylez View Post
All True^^^^

It probably wont change anytime soon unless maybe guys like Jay who have the power to change things and make statements that carry in the pop industry step up and be the leader. But he dont he just keeps seein dollar signs. I got nothin but respect for Jay on the mic but in a role where he is supposed to be the leader in an industry he just seems like he ther for show
I have mixed feelings about JAY-Z as an executive, I give him props for going out and signing some real hip hop like THE ROOTS and NAS, plus DEF JAM got METHOD MAN and GHOSTFACE.....but it seems like all the realeses coming out of Def Jam are RnB shit so far....like isn't Def Jam a hip hop label? Probably the greatest hip hop label of all time

I think if Def Jam wants to put out RnB, thats cool, just call it Def Soul or something, just dont make Def Jam a fuckin RnB label

"We got the tape Nigga"- Raekwon live in Toronto
tical2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:12 PM   #30
Bone Collecta
Veteran Member

Bone Collecta grasshopper
Send a message via AIM to Bone Collecta Send a message via Yahoo to Bone Collecta

there is no such thing as real hip hop u damn crack heads

Bone Collecta is offline   Reply With Quote