news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Wu-Tang Chamber

Old 10-03-2006, 03:30 PM   #16
soulmakossa
The Rare Cassette Man

soulmakossa grasshopper
Default The Wu's Old Music Still Crushes Most Music Out There Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaolinDarts View Post
Wu is old now (not the members but the brand name). Whats in fashion is what achieves mass success and Wu Tang aren't 'in' anymore.

Make as much good music as they like, they won't sell or reach the masses. Wallabi's ain't no less of a shoe than they were a few years ago yet no one buys them these days. Afew years ago people would have 5 or 6 colours. Every once in a while a Nike or Reebok shoe from the old days reappears and people get it for a couple of weeks and its dead again. If its been around already people ain't interested anymore and thats whats up with Wu.
I think one example of being around long and still being relevant is Dr. Dre, so I think it's a possibility for you to suceed. I think what's frustrating about change in the market is that even garbage can get pushed more and get labeled as hip hop, not just more than Wu but more than new artists that're true hip hop representatives.

I think wrong to even place the type of stuff out now in the same sentence with the type of music of the Wu's caliber, there's no comparison no matter how much people claim the new sound that's out now.

It's like actual skill in the music doesn't matter, a large corporation would throw the art of hip hop out the window in a second if they found out they could make money off some wack artist.

It's seems as long as you have some kind of gimmick such as a weak, catchy chorus like Chingy you can get by. So I personally don't let what the mainstream masses dictate what's "in" to judge the Wu's current position. If any hip hop artist sounds good to my ears then thats all that matters at the end of the day.

If there were more people in the current mainstream that I think have surpassed what the Wu is capable of artistically, then I think that would be a reason to think of them as old. But I don't see that right now, it's a buch of songs that are like fast food, they come out, you digest them quick, forget about em and move on to the next one.

Wu songs I'm still playing like they came out yesterday.

Last edited by soulmakossa; 10-03-2006 at 03:34 PM.
soulmakossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 06:12 PM   #17
Rebel_INS
Veteran Member

Rebel_INS shaolin monk
Send a message via AIM to Rebel_INS

Yea I agree with some of the things you said, but its true about the newer generation. The sound that alot of the newer mainstream rap is comin with, is alot different than that shit people on the board listen to etc.

And I dont think RZA neccessarily makes boring beats, people just like that poppy shit now days.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:47 PM   #18
rubyspirit
Ridin' in the Wu-mobile

rubyspirit grasshopper

Wu beats are still fire to me. No complaints here. Wu-Tang Forever!
rubyspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 09:24 PM   #19
Ghost_Deini_
Banned!!!11

Ghost_Deini_ crouching tiger

the thing is, the only "real" music thats succeeding in the mainstream right now is all the chicago heads. and without kanye chicago never would have blown up, and common's Be never would have been made, which was definitely the best cd released in the mainstream in years.

we just need someone from new york, and i think if wu tang did get back together(in the studio), and promoted themselves right... wu can blow up again. all they need to do is make something new while retaining the wu tang style and doing something different.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:37 PM   #20
BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI
Are U aware I ban @ will?

BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)BRASSKNUCKLED PAI MEI King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)

Hopefully CilvaRingz " I " will show us all this thread should be closed
Old 10-03-2006, 11:58 PM   #21
binary

binary grasshopper

Wu members top fucking with Wu production. There hasn't been a consistently produced album in hip hop in a long time, and if there is it's extremely rare. Production is rarely original anymore.

I'd kill for an album with mid 90's production, but the consistency just isn't there.
binary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 12:49 AM   #22
soulmakossa
The Rare Cassette Man

soulmakossa grasshopper
Default The Wu Sound Still Exists In The Mainstream As We Speak..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Deini_ View Post
the thing is, the only "real" music thats succeeding in the mainstream right now is all the chicago heads. and without kanye chicago never would have blown up, and common's Be never would have been made, which was definitely the best cd released in the mainstream in years.

Right, and please don't forget RZA and Wu Tang basically birthed people sound who are getting by in the mainstream right now such as Kanye, Just Blaze etc., they're people who are using the Wu's influence. Same thing you hear going on where parts of Pete Rock's sound can be heard in other people's production still.

So why shouldn't Wu still be able to do their thing sucessfully saleswise.

The thing that's wrong with these other clowns in the mainstream is that when you listen to their version of hip hop, it lacks the "feeling" and level of skill of hip hop because they don't respect what was laid down in the past from artists like Wu. At least you can tell people like Kanye care more about the history of the music when you listen to him, and he's taking it forward in his own direction using the past.

Last edited by soulmakossa; 10-04-2006 at 01:04 AM.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:29 AM   #23
jayeye

jayeye grasshopper

ZZZZZ...complexity of the beats aint the issue. If that was the case shoulder lean and laffy taffy wouldnt be selling. And Pharell shit aint complex. Tell me Change Clothes and Excuse me Miss dont sound the same (although excuse me miss is mah joint )
jayeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 01:31 AM   #24
TGambino
Veteran Member

TGambino iron monkeyTGambino iron monkeyTGambino iron monkey

Wu Tang Clan as a group and movement already reached their commercial peak from 93-00.... and it was a long ass big ass run with lots of merch that no other artist could get away with

they already did that movement, that style, they been there n done that

to top the peak they already reached they'd have to start a whole new movement and honestly are any of these dudes **THAT** hungry? they're already rich and famous. i know some of these niggas is hungry to show their skills, but to climb back on top of the world again is a big ass climb.

Ghost pushed 115-130k units 1st wk with that tight beat for the single and all of his street hype. personally i like that style n not the mf doom style n wish he'd stick wit it.

if u the kinda nigga that sits around in his moms' basement thinkin about ur fav rappers sales they probly aint makin that music for u dog, sorry

Last edited by TGambino; 10-04-2006 at 01:33 AM.
TGambino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 01:58 AM   #25
soulmakossa
The Rare Cassette Man

soulmakossa grasshopper
Default I'll Take Skills & Subtance Over Sales Anyday

Quote:
if u the kinda nigga that sits around in his moms' basement thinkin about ur fav rappers sales they probly aint makin that music for u dog, sorry
I agree. For any of my favorite artists, I never put their sales numbers above their skills and substance of music in my mind. I didn't care if they never went gold (ie: Gangstarr, Kool G Rap, The Beatnuts, etc..) they still had incredible talent to their music.

There's no real need to worry about an artist's sales if you already satisfied with their music, I don't care if they only sold 1 record. I think too many mainstream artists and record labels worry about sales and money over skills which is part of what ruins hip hop right now.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:15 AM   #26
WuBizzie

WuBizzie iron monkeyWuBizzie iron monkeyWuBizzie iron monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGambino View Post
Wu Tang Clan as a group and movement already reached their commercial peak from 93-00....
Exactly. The Clan's music isn't selling nowadays because they have reached their commercial apex. Hip hop fans are notoriously known to be some of the most fickle fans and very few acts sustain a level of commercial popularity for a sustained period of time. You know how about 2 years ago everything G-Unit manufactured sold like hot cakes and everybody was on 50's dick? That's no longer the case. Yea, G-Unit is still a major force in hip hop music but their popularity has waned and I dare to say in about 2 years they will be at a level of where Wu was at in, say, about 2000. That is of couse, if they don't invest in an artist are trend that will garner the attention from the hip hop fans that will surely abandon them in droves otherwise. Re-invention. Sort of like what Diddy does every few or so years. And don't forget the fact that hip hop albums just don't sell anymore. The only hip hop albums to go platty so far this year are TI and Chamilionaire, and most dont even reach the 250 grand mark.

I'm sure Wu has lost some of their fans because of the abundance of weak wu-affiliated products, lack of RZA production, and down right subpar material (U-Gods last album, Meths Prequel )but that really isn't the reason that they are no longer top sellers in todays market.
WuBizzie is offline   Reply With Quote