news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop

Old 10-06-2006, 03:37 PM   #1
Prolifical ENG
Semi Retired

Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Default Will concious rap have a renaissance?

Of course in the last several years, critical discussions are always talking about who sold out in the rap game?

In other generes that have been around as long or longer than rap have already reached at least 1 renaissance.

1. In the 60s and 70s, reggae was about culture also known as "the roots of reggae". Around the mid 80s the roots era has been overtaken by dancehall for the next 10+ years. Critics called the dancehall followers the sellouts who received airplay. Then in the mid-late 90s roots has reached a renaissance as new artists emerged. Roots artists that had their careers in the shadows of dancehall blew up such as Beres Hammond.

2. Around the same time is when Heavy Metal was a sub genre of rock. Ask some 70s rock fans what they think about Kiss, even though they topped the charts. Alternative Rock soon ended the heavy metal era while being heavy influenced by the earlier rock after the beatles....who also were considered sellouts in the 60s because of their use of drums.

3. Jazz in the 70's also expanded everyones concept of what jazz is with the use of electric instruments and integration of R&B. Herbie Hancock wasnt admired by all critics...especially when he made Head Hunters. Miles Davis was labeled a sellout after making classic albums, then made Bitches Brew using different younger musicians, electrical instruments, etc. But today its still considered a classic album. Years later in jazz the blues type jazz influenced by the early 20th century musicians prevailed again.

This cycle type theory is not that new of an idea, but looking at where hip-hop is and seeing the path that other genres of music took, it gives a perspective and "hope" for others.

Prolifical ENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 04:24 PM   #2
maestro wooz
Veteran Member

maestro wooz Village Idiot

look who it is!

Yeah i definetley agree. I just think that now the commercialized music is more soldout then in the past. Sellouts are not new to hip hop though, its been their since the early days. D.I.T.C albums are filled with talking about sellouts and not selling out, these albums are from 90-93! Just nowadays the sell outs are selling millions of records. But i think brighter days are on the horizon though.
maestro wooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 04:56 PM   #3
INF
Digital @fterLife

INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via AIM to INF

Its coming. You can tell. you can hear it.
INF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 04:58 PM   #4
Prolifical ENG
Semi Retired

Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

^^^^^

yes, thats what got me thinkin...I have been hearin it.....besides listening to Miles Davis - Bitches Brew and remembering what happened once.

Prolifical ENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 05:05 PM   #5
Punch
Veteran Member

Punch prodigal sonPunch prodigal sonPunch prodigal sonPunch prodigal sonPunch prodigal sonPunch prodigal son

I think in a way it's already here.

I don't think that a group like PE will ever be that big again, and part of that is because Hip-Hop is mainstream now, but who knows. I think that artists like Common, Mos and Kanye being big are steps in the right direction, regardless of what you think of their music.

Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 05:10 PM   #6
INF
Digital @fterLife

INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

The groundwork or should I say blueprint , has been laid. Now its time to build the house.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:46 PM   #7
murkoutz
bowties are cool

murkoutz shaolin monk

i doubt it. teenagers wont have it. they too about clubbing and thuggin' and wont leave that alone for shit. it would be nice but time and time again its been proved the dumber the lyrics the bigger the hit. the hood dont wanna think any way its to much of a effort

Last edited by murkoutz; 10-06-2006 at 07:48 PM.
murkoutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 08:01 PM   #8
INF
Digital @fterLife

Thats why we gonna make clubbin an flossin look fuckin stupid. not outta spite but just to set the record straight and help the kids. Its all about the kids. If they fucked then the world is gone.

We gonna hit them with some shit that sounds like what they want at first. What they used to and then we gonna take that shit over compleatly and take them to school.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:43 PM   #9
maestro wooz
Veteran Member

maestro wooz Village Idiot

the youth is easily influenced, just the right things have to gain control of the influence. Change is a very easy thing, it just takes a little time.
maestro wooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 11:02 PM   #10
INF
Digital @fterLife

Its a sad day when one of the founding fathers or should I say first financial backers of the hip-hop movement, become the enemy. I just added Def Jam to the list of ppl whos gonna get it. I'm callin mf's out. I'm bout to name names and all that shit and Def Jam is on the list. Its time that ppl look at what they doin to the kids.They been corrupting the youth way too long. I'm a product of it and so is everybody else. We never knew any fuckin better cause we had the shit crammed down our throats. If you tired of being brainwashed then you will stand up right now to and help with the cause. I'm gonna help organize things to turn the media around and help save the kids. Its gonna take years but its gonna be the biggest most positve revolt that ever showed outcome. I just figured it all out today. Its always been there but there was clouds. not no more. It aint that we gotta censor ourselves. Its gonna be pretty ugly at first but in the end its gonna be beautiful. Life is about progress. We only goin backwards and whats fucked up is that we have technology that was handed to us from outside sources and we still bein fucked up. I dont want it to be like in my sig. Thats whats gonna happen all over if we keep letting it go on. I aint gonna look the other way while the media controls and influences not only myself but my son and others family to be monsters. Fuck death. Its all about life. Everything that the media controls us with and entertains or stimulates us with results in death. Fuck that. Yes, its true, we all die at one point or another. There is something greater though. All throughout recorded music there has been a vibration of the message of something greater. Lets bring it. Lets get this done. For better times. Better times.
Old 10-07-2006, 12:39 AM   #11
snapple
i think i'm high

snapple prodigal sonsnapple prodigal sonsnapple prodigal sonsnapple prodigal sonsnapple prodigal sonsnapple prodigal son

^^what's you relationship to defjam infinity?

Realness
snapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 02:43 AM   #12
INF
Digital @fterLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapple View Post
^^what's you relationship to defjam infinity?
They are the enemy. bottom line.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:52 PM   #13
snapple
i think i'm high

snapple prodigal sonsnapple prodigal sonsnapple prodigal sonsnapple prodigal sonsnapple prodigal sonsnapple prodigal son

well you should have a relationship with your enemy, you should know your enemy. are you just claiming theyre the enemy because your favorite rapper has a problem with defjam? have you been up in the building? whats your story why do YOU have beef?

Realness
snapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 01:00 AM   #14
rubyspirit
Ridin' in the Wu-mobile

rubyspirit grasshopper

Quote:
Will concious rap have a renaissance?
I hope so, but doubt it. I grew up on Wu and other like artists. Hip pop doesn't feel or sound right to me. These kids were raised on hip pop, so that is what they will desire.
rubyspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 01:24 PM   #15
THE W
ISRAELITE

THE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venoms

slim to none, leaning towards none.

record companies are copycats and they have their formula for what sells and they arent gonna get behind artists who dont fall into that formula thus you will see the same type of music topping the charts for hiphop.

the conscious rap era had its run and its long been over. conscious rap will just have to be satisfied with their underground status.
The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:18-20)
THE W is offline   Reply With Quote