news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Wu-Tang Chamber

Old 07-12-2005, 04:59 PM   #31
Jamal Arief
Veteran Member

Jamal Arief iron monkeyJamal Arief iron monkeyJamal Arief iron monkeyJamal Arief iron monkeyJamal Arief iron monkey
Default Re: Wu tang made up their name!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuardianOne
Now let me get all the details and not cause confusion here. Cause i have quite a number of old scrolls from my Celestial Master "Kiyang Cai Ching", and i will mail my friend Lisbeth "Ducks" shes a Taoist Hermit, and Zhao Yun on other details i have.
Do that!

Peace
Jamal Arief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 05:06 PM   #32
Sun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah
Found My Purpose

Sun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah crouching tigerSun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah crouching tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMASSIVE
Yeah, the reason they called themselves Wu-Tang instead of WuDang is because all the English speaking dubbed voices in martial arts flicks pronounced it that way… The reason the dubbing actors pronounced it that way has to do with the Romanization system that the English language used to make phonetic transcriptions of the way words sound. The older system, called Wade-Giles (after its inventors) is commonly used in the United States. The newer system, called Hanyu pinyin, or just Pinyin for short, was developed by Chinese people for use in China, and is now increasingly common throughout the world. For instance take the word “Tao” from “Taoism”, in China it is pronounced “Dao” not “Tao” … But even still, many English scholars prefer the more familiar term "Tao" arguing that it is now an English word in its own right and should not be affected by changes in linguistic fashions. Also, they didn’t try to name themselves after the mountain… They named themselves after an internal style of training developed by a Taoist named Zhang Sanfeng who succeeded in achieving Tao after settling on Mount WuDang. So why are you scolding them for a miscommunication in translation and pronunciation of language? These little misunderstandings go further than that though, look at how everyone calls Chinese Martial Arts “Kung Fu” when the correct term is “Wushu” ... The word "Wushu" consists of two Chinese characters. “Wu”, meaning martial or military, and “Shu”, which translates into art, skill or method. Together these form "WuShu" or "Martial Art". To be more precise, the Chinese write using calligraphy and the first character Wu is actually a combination of two other calligraphy characters Zhi & Ge. The first means to stop or halt something, and the latter symbolizes an ancient Chinese weapon similar to a spear. Because of this, many consider a more detailed translation of Wushu to be "method to stop weapon" or "the art of stopping violence", more similar to the Western term self-defense. This aspect plays a major role in the philosophies that are present in many Chinese martial arts, which emphasize that the best way to defeat an enemy is to do so without fighting, and that the easiest way to not fight is to avoid situations that might lead to any fighting at all. Wushu is the correct term for the more commonly known but misused term "Kung Fu", which roughly translates to "skill" and refers specifically to the energy, feeling and effort expended in doing or making something. A craftsman or artisan could be said to have good "Gung Fu" (properly pronounced) in the way in which they carry out their craft. In the same way, a Wushu practitioner can also be said to have good Kung Fu with their Wushu practice. All categories of Chinese martial arts, traditional, contemporary, hard and soft, can be called Wushu.

i thought this cleared everything? it's being dragged on now please SHUT THE FUCK UP

"Reciting a biblical verse before I make your melon burst like that nigga Jules from Pulp Fiction...my salvation is salivation, and diction crucifixion" - Ras Kass

http://www.myspace.com/theblacksunn1 http://theblacksunn.blogspot.com

Sun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 03:42 AM   #33
TheMASSIVE
Veteran Member

TheMASSIVE shaolin monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johny's_working
I happen to speak Chinese a little. And Wu tang tried to take there name from the infomaous chinese mountain, Problem with this is they messed up on the spelling its actually, pronouced, wu dāng shān, so wu tang's name should be Wu Dang not Tang.

Quote:
The reason they called themselves Wu-Tang instead of WuDang is because all the English speaking dubbed voices in martial arts flicks pronounced it that way… The reason the dubbing actors pronounced it that way has to do with the Romanization system that the English language used to make phonetic transcriptions of the way words sound. The older system, called Wade-Giles (after its inventors) is commonly used in the
Quote:
United States. The newer system, called Hanyu pinyin, or just Pinyin for short, was developed by Chinese people for use in China, and is now increasingly common throughout the world. For instance take the word “Tao” from “Taoism”, in China it is pronounced “Dao” not “Tao” … But even still, many English scholars prefer the more familiar term "Tao" arguing that it is now an English word in its own right and should not be affected by changes in linguistic fashions. Also, they didn’t try to name themselves after the mountain… They named themselves after an internal style of training developed by a Taoist named Zhang Sanfeng who succeeded in achieving Tao after settling on MountWuDang.....

Actually, to be more precise… The character for "Wu" in Wudang is the same as in Wushu, meaning martial. "Dang" means deserving. It refers to the legendary Emperor Xuantian Zhen Wu. According to legend, Zhen Wu studied Taoism at Wudang for 42 years until he gained the recognition of the heavenly Jade Emperor. The Jade Emperor transformed him into a god and said that only Zhen Wu was "deserving," thus the name “WuDang”. Zhang Sanfeng is also worshipped as another god at Wudang. Zhang was born a General's son in ZhejiangProvince. At one point he was struck blind, only to be cured by a Taoist master. Zhang was an excellent boxer and swordsman who spent most of his life as a government official, but retired when the Emperor Hongwu usurped the throne and established the Ming Dynasty. Zhang retreated to Wudang to practice inner alchemy, it was there he combined all his knowledge of Taoist philosophies, inner training techniques, his experience in guarding skills, boxing, and military sciences and fused them all into one system for an internal martial art style Wudang Gonfu and the magnificent style which became Taiji (Tai Chi) after meditating on a fight he witnessed between a snake and a crane. Even though the crane tried to spear the snake with its beak, the snake was so flexible that it could not be speared. From this, Zhang realized that softness and flexibility can overcome strength and created his own WuDang martial arts.

TheMASSIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 04:05 AM   #34
TheMASSIVE
Veteran Member

TheMASSIVE shaolin monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuardianOne
"Kung-Fu" means "Deciplined Person" and was created by Huant Ti i can recall the date off hand but i will bring that and post it tomorrow. Whilst Wu-Tang if you recall there was the Tang dynasty and also the wu family. Now let me get all the details and not cause confusion here. Cause i have quite a number of old scrolls from my Celestial Master "Kiyang Cai Ching", and i will mail my friend Lisbeth "Ducks" shes a Taoist Hermit, and Zhao Yun on other details i have.And for Zhang Sanfeng well i would not want to go there as that is a different story altogether. Whilst there is mordern,contemporary wushu.

Well Guardian is sort of right. One literal translation of Kung Fu can mean Disciplined Person but that’s only a small part of it. Nowadays, outside of China the most common use of the term kung fu is when referring to Chinese martial arts in general. The original meaning of kung fu is quite different though, kung fu means "achievement through great effort" … An acquired skill obtained through expended energy and hard work… Excellence achieved through long practice and diligent training in any endeavor. You can say that a person's kung fu is good in cooking, or that someone has kung fu in calligraphy, saying that a person possesses kung fu in an area implies skill in that area, which they have worked hard to develop. Someone with "bad kung fu" has not put enough time and effort into training, or they seem to lack the motivation to do so.

Also, Huant Ti didn’t create Kung Fu… But he was a legendary emperor who taught his troops a form of self-defense called Chiou Ti and organized them into effective military formations sometime in the century of 2600 B.C. He had nothing to do with the ideological development of Kung-Fu. The concepts of human psychology, physiology, and philosophy were infused into Kung-Fu by Taoism and Buddhism to make it more than a physical art. Kung Fu can be looked at as a philosophy applied to any time-honored pursuit of excellence with motivation, self-discipline, and time. Motivation is the basic driving force, you must have an interest and a will to do something, a person who is forced to do something is not truly motivated. A motivated person, on the other hand, has interest in learning, they have a goal. It is important to note a difference between the various types of motivation: A person can be motivated to do something, because if they do not they will be punished. Money can also lead to motivation, because you know that doing something will give you more money. However, the motivation kung fu comes from an interest and an inner desire to learn and develop, in which the goal is not an external gain, like avoiding punishment or earning money, but an internal one, with the only reward being knowledge, skill, strength and wisdom. This motivation can be inspired, but not controlled, by other people. Self-discipline is closely related to motivation, but refers to the effort and patience required to actually get something done, and to get past obstacles that might appear on the way towards one's goal. While motivation is the mental state of wanting to do something, discipline is required to put motivation into action: A person might want to do something very much, but lacks the required amount of discipline to get started. Without this, motivation will lead to nothing. It is true that a competent instructor can assist a person by providing discipline, helping that person to get past obstacles. This is good, but will not last forever, and in the end, it is always up to the person herself to put her thoughts into action. Time is essential for finding one's motivation and self-discipline, and to actually accomplish something by making use of them, but motivation and self-discipline are also important to make a person willing to put time into accomplishing their goal: to prioritize. In later stages, once motivation and discipline have become an integral part of a person's life, it is important not to stop spending time on practice. This is said to be a very important aspect of kung fu: Many ancient Chinese philosophers and martial artists consider time the most valuable commodity in a person's lives, as time cannot be replaced. It is said that one should use time wisely, and that, to get the most out of life, must practice kung fu in every activity. By finding interest in and putting effort and time into every action, one will make the best use of time, and live a happy and productive life.

Old 07-13-2005, 09:56 AM   #35
GuardianOne
Taoist Saint

GuardianOne grasshopper
Send a message via Skype™ to GuardianOne

Iam still gatherin info, its an interesting topic that has been raised-i had not read most of these details in years (to busy studing and practicing).

Peace
PSon't worry i'll have that info soon (i had distributed most of my stuff) and the original. But i was going through the scrolls.
GuardianOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 02:08 PM   #36
thwak
over rates mathematics

thwak grasshopper
Send a message via AIM to thwak

wow massive just proved johnny wrong on all counts.

anyway speaking of legend of the liquid swords, anyone seen that movie? that shit was insane! I rolled out of my chair when jesus appeared.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:27 PM   #37
TheMASSIVE
Veteran Member

TheMASSIVE shaolin monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwak
wow massive just proved johnny wrong on all counts.
Well I'm not trying to be a dick and prove him wrong, I'm just trying to educate.

Old 07-13-2005, 04:10 PM   #38
Knicks
Veteran Member

Knicks grasshopper

i cant believe some of u are writing essays on here about this
Knicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 04:16 PM   #39
sakk
Autarch

sakk crouching tigersakk crouching tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicks
i cant believe some of u are writing essays on here about this
i agree. its wu tang nigga, shame on a nigga who tried to run game. this thread is another example of bullshit. how did it even make it to this many pages?

New Orleans Hornets and New Orleans Saints are the champions.
rep·re·sent
To stand for; symbolize
sakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 05:30 PM   #40
TheMASSIVE
Veteran Member

TheMASSIVE shaolin monk

I see cats don't care enough to do the knowledge even when it's laid out for em'... That's sad.

Old 07-13-2005, 06:06 PM   #41
MantiZ
Veteran Member

MantiZ grasshopper

When you swing your sword it sounds WU. When your sword hits the shield it sounds TANG!
joke!
much respect to you guys droppin that knowledge here. i appreciate dat!

I wish all skinheads smelled like Mr.Clean..

"G-Unit's full of bitches
Banks is a bitch
Young Buck is a Bitch
Tony Yayo is a bitch
Fifty is a bitch
Olivia's a bitch...HOLD UP! Olivia's a man!" The Game

i can't commit suicide. suicide committed me. so my suicide is dead.
MantiZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 06:33 PM   #42
TheMASSIVE
Veteran Member

TheMASSIVE shaolin monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MantiZ
When you swing your sword it sounds WU. When your sword hits the shield it sounds TANG! much respect to you guys droppin that knowledge here. i appreciate dat!
That's wassup!

Old 07-13-2005, 06:57 PM   #43
henry_cooler82

henry_cooler82 grasshopper
Lightbulb Re: Wu tang made up their name!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesbian Nun
masta killa is a movie for sure... "master killer" prolly

i ain't done no research but he says it on his album dvd, so i'm pretty positive...

Wu-Dang...haha funny....ridiculous
wu dang...
that's the mandarin pronounciation....
henry_cooler82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 07:01 PM   #44
henry_cooler82

henry_cooler82 grasshopper

i dunno if somebody noticed or talked about it....
shaolin and wu tang is totally different.....let say in this way...the shaolin monk can never marry...on the other hand, the wu tang "priest" can marry.....
u guys got that idea?
also, their martial art style is different...i think wu tang is more like sword...according to the novel,tai chi comes from wu tang as well....
henry_cooler82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 07:10 PM   #45
manhattanknight77

manhattanknight77 grasshopper

yo honestly who the fuck cares really. where the fuck is the new wu album is what yall should be concerned wit.
manhattanknight77 is offline   Reply With Quote