news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Know The Ledge

Old 10-11-2006, 12:39 AM   #1
Os3y3ris
Veteran Member

Os3y3ris shaolin monk
Default Knowledge, Wisdom, Understanding

Does anyone know the origin of this phrase? I know some "islamic" groups use it, but I've also seen it in the 360 concept and other places.

Madness! Combustion! Liberty and the end of all law! The invisible international! The toast is anarchy!
Os3y3ris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 12:50 PM   #2
Urban_Journalz
HANIF

Urban_Journalz prodigal sonUrban_Journalz prodigal sonUrban_Journalz prodigal sonUrban_Journalz prodigal sonUrban_Journalz prodigal sonUrban_Journalz prodigal son

That saying comes from The Nation Of Islam.
Though a positive saying, I think the chronological order is wrong.

I think it should be knowledge, understanding and wisdom.
As this is the natural process for anyone who earnestly understands studying. You buy a book and read it through. You have the knowledge. The more you read and ponder upon that which you read, it's no longer foreign to you. Therefore you understand what you're studying. Only when you can effectively put what you've learned into positive practice, as if you yourself were the writer of what you originally read, can you be said to have gained true wisdom in that field.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:51 PM   #3
snapple
i think i'm high

snapple prodigal sonsnapple prodigal sonsnapple prodigal sonsnapple prodigal sonsnapple prodigal sonsnapple prodigal son

i agree, the order would be better that way. knowledge is the base, you must understand the knowledge to gain wisdom.

Realness
snapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 12:54 PM   #4
Os3y3ris
Veteran Member

Os3y3ris shaolin monk

Quote:
Thats interesting. I'm curious as to how it got into Folks Nation given their less than friendly relationship with Islam.

Madness! Combustion! Liberty and the end of all law! The invisible international! The toast is anarchy!
Old 10-11-2006, 04:30 PM   #5
Urban_Journalz
HANIF

Urban_Journalz prodigal sonUrban_Journalz prodigal sonUrban_Journalz prodigal sonUrban_Journalz prodigal sonUrban_Journalz prodigal sonUrban_Journalz prodigal son

Hmm. That is interesting. You know how it is though, people hear something they like and just run with it.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:37 PM   #6
snapple
i think i'm high

snapple prodigal sonsnapple prodigal sonsnapple prodigal sonsnapple prodigal sonsnapple prodigal sonsnapple prodigal son

who cares who it came from, it's a good saying or philosophy whatever you wanna call it.

Realness
Old 10-11-2006, 04:45 PM   #7
Os3y3ris
Veteran Member

Os3y3ris shaolin monk

The origin is important because it reveals the flow of information. Monitoring the flow of information reveals social, political, economic and/or ideological connections that may not have been apparant beforehand. Islamic symbolism and ideology are generally offensive to Folks Nation, esepcially since the NOI became allied with the P Stones when the Stones used the name El Rukn. Having had cause to look into these groups, things aren't sitting right at all, and this is another piece of the puzzle that just doesn't fit.

Old 10-11-2006, 04:47 PM   #8
snapple
i think i'm high

i know i know belive me i understand that knowledge youre dropping but i just dont want another heated islam vs thread that shits played out, this site is predictable sometimes hah

Realness
Old 10-11-2006, 05:44 PM   #9
hidden ninja

hidden ninja grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shropsher_Slasher View Post
Though a positive saying, I think the chronological order is wrong.

I think it should be knowledge, understanding and wisdom.
As this is the natural process for anyone who earnestly understands studying. You buy a book and read it through. You have the knowledge. The more you read and ponder upon that which you read, it's no longer foreign to you. Therefore you understand what you're studying. Only when you can effectively put what you've learned into positive practice, as if you yourself were the writer of what you originally read, can you be said to have gained true wisdom in that field.
I've thought that myself, but "wisdom is wise words spoken", so I see it as after you gain the knowledge, you refine it until you develop an understanding. like you learn something, then go talk to about it - exchange the knowledge with other cats through wisdom.
hidden ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 01:03 AM   #10
Urban_Journalz
HANIF

^^Not to completely disagree, cuz it is a valid point. It depends on what kind of knowledge it is though. If you were preaching tolerance and won't hold a door for someone of another race or help them off the bus....etc. it's not really acceptable. You have to act out what you've learned. So, I guess it depends on what you learn.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:46 PM   #11
Prince Rai
Writing verses in S9

Prince Rai shaolin masta killaPrince Rai shaolin masta killaPrince Rai shaolin masta killaPrince Rai shaolin masta killaPrince Rai shaolin masta killaPrince Rai shaolin masta killaPrince Rai shaolin masta killa

Peace,

interesting topic and respect to Os3y3is for bringing this up for I hope people will elevate positively here, which has been the case in this thread.

I also agree that the ordering ought to be considered as

1) Knowledge
2) Understanding
3) Wisdom

the ordering may be changed to the prior of course, but thats another starting point.

I also maintain the revised ordering, as I believe that wisdom has various ingredients.
One is clearly Knowledge as that is the building-atom of thought (you could say).
Then of course, knowledge must be understood in order for it to have some sort of value that cannot depreciate. If you understand what you have (knowledge), it cannot depreciate as such, thus it can be converted to Wisdom.

As for the significance of its origin, yes, that is important to a certain degree.
**!!Although it is wise to say that, knowledge as to its Origin does not determine someones degree of Wisom!!**
The origin may explain to us the way of humans and how they developed debate on philosophy.
I doubt it stems from The Nation of Islam, or any other recent development of societies.
It rather would stem from more earlier debates on thought developed by people who were keen on identifying ways to sustain consistent behaviour in society.

^
Thats just one thought...

but before i write a wayyyy too long a answer... perhaps people would want to debate on what i just said.

peace

Inject the Lyrical Venom of Section 9
Prince Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 03:24 PM   #12
WARPATH
Dinosaur Hunter

WARPATH Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)WARPATH Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)WARPATH Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)WARPATH Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)WARPATH Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)WARPATH Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)WARPATH Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)WARPATH Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)WARPATH Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)WARPATH Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)WARPATH Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via Skype™ to WARPATH

If you know something you already understand it.

Knowledge Wisdom Understanding, Knowledge Wisdom understanding.

It's a snow ball effect.

Let's take a random cultures Flesh offerings......

This should be easy for christians to figure out.

Why would certains cultures give flesh- their blood and body. Christains won't do it because it's not part of their customs. But from the outside looking in a wise person would know. From their own wisdom they can deduce down from their own religion. Why did Christ suffer and offer his body for the sins of man?
Why did he break bread with his diciples and give the blood and body of christ?

So now looking in on a different culture through his own wisdom he can understand why they give flesh.

Knowledge, Wisdom, Understanding.

Knowledge and wisdom go hand and hand together. Just because some one teaches you somthing doesn't mean it's true. You need true wisdom to weed out the wrong. Only then can you come to an understanding of the knowledge you've obtained.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:24 PM   #13
Os3y3ris
Veteran Member

Os3y3ris shaolin monk

KWU seems pretty reasonable to me. You have to have some wisdom to properly understand your knowledge.

As far as the origin goes, I'm not trying to discredit this concept by asking that. Just information I need to know to make things simpler. Long story. Plus, I'm looking into the governments role in all of this. Seems shady.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:15 PM   #14
LORD NOSE
The Smell of The Future

LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

man woman child
Old 01-10-2010, 02:46 PM   #15
LORD NOSE
The Smell of The Future

LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)LORD NOSE Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

it comes from the bible