news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Know The Ledge

Old 12-05-2006, 07:25 PM   #1
LHX
healthy merking

LHX drunken mastaLHX drunken masta
Send a message via MSN to LHX
Default 'The Normal Life'

Does anybody here actually live the 9-5 life?

If so, do you actively look for a way out of it?

What are the obstacles to getting out?

If not, why?

Is it because you do not want to?

Or is it because you feel you can't?

Me personally, I worked the 9-5 lifestyle for about 7 years, but I eventually lost the ability to keep it up (or perhaps became unafraid to turn my back on that lifestyle)

Waking up for alarms and showing up to a place at a time on a clock and then attending a building for 40 hours a week seem to be some unreasonable sacrifices to make especially when you find that the system you are contributing to really does not have anybodys best interest in mind (save a select few as mentioned in the article V posted up earlier today)

Also, taking orders from other men seems a little bizarre.

Back in the '50s and '60s, the estimation was that by now, people would only have to work like 10 hours a week

but instead, people are working more hours than ever before
Old 12-05-2006, 08:13 PM   #2
the silencer
king disguised as beggar.

the silencer Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)the silencer Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)the silencer Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)the silencer Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)the silencer Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)the silencer Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)the silencer Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)the silencer Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)the silencer Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)the silencer Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)the silencer Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

not the 9-5 grind but i do go to college everyday and thats definitely a pain in the ass...

and im a senior now and i can sense that im being led into that shitty ass robotic, braindead lifestyle of goin in to work everyday and workin my ass off for somebody for nuthin...

my plan that ive been thinkin about lately is now to work like that for a year or so, get some financial security and then go back to school....im in accounting right now and although that is a real lucrative occupation, i find the shit so boring and meaningless that i cant fuckin stand it.....

when i go back i wanna do somethin wit science (astronomy, biology maybe) and/or i wanna learn a few diff languages....

now that im a senior and ive made it this far doing somethin i hate i feel like i cood easily go back and get degrees in shit that i wood actually find interesting and/or useful......so im picturin a future of me just goin back to school constantly and pickin up another degree in something...

and, to me, the main thing keeping people trapped in the 9-5 grind is
#1--money.....some coodnt live any other way
#2--stupidity or ignorance....they dont realize what they are stuck in
Old 12-05-2006, 09:17 PM   #3
Civilison
Veteran Member

Civilison crouching tigerCivilison crouching tiger

it all really depends

some people are content with 9-5 because what else could they be doing?

i guess ppl are somehow happy.

find the girl, get married and get the house

then of course family

9-5 then takes on a different meaning to those people (maybe?)

myself, i find it difficult to adapt to it but once im in the zone i can stay in it. it's not necessarily healthy but at the same time it is, depending on the situation.

but for real...

if you have 40 million citizens, or 400 million or whatever else in whatever country, how are you gonna keep them occupied in some kind of a way?

the system is not needed but also is needed STILL at the CURRENT moment.

take away the 9-5 and what happens with humanity?

it's mad weird but it must have a reason... some speculations, huh?

peace
Civilison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 10:12 PM   #4
V4D3R
Singularity Instigator

V4D3R five deadly venomsV4D3R five deadly venomsV4D3R five deadly venomsV4D3R five deadly venomsV4D3R five deadly venomsV4D3R five deadly venomsV4D3R five deadly venomsV4D3R five deadly venomsV4D3R five deadly venoms

I do the 7 to 3 and the main reasons are:

#1 - I have a daughter that needs a stable role model father figure in her life
#2 - I lost her mother because I rather be online for 3 years straight - been off it consistently for over a year now
#3 - My daughter needs a future

It just seems to me that working when your young is the best bet to work for an early retirement and take risks to get there quicker(gambling/lottery/stocks). Alot of the cats on here can't really relate to the pressure of being a parent and having that kind of responsibility gets your feet moving to work.

Settling your differences on how you feel about who/what you work for is something else if your priorities are just worrying about yourself.

Weighing the pros/cons of family responsibility against how you feel about the "man" is no contest for a real man. Not only are you broke but considered a dead-beat father. Over my dead body will I ever be called that.

V4D3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 10:19 PM   #5
the silencer
king disguised as beggar.

the silencer Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)the silencer Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)the silencer Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)the silencer Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)the silencer Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)the silencer Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)the silencer Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)the silencer Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)the silencer Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)the silencer Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)the silencer Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by V4D3R View Post
I do the 7 to 3 and the main reasons are:

#1 - I have a daughter that needs a stable role model father figure in her life
#2 - I lost her mother because I rather be online for 3 years straight - been off it consistently for over a year now
#3 - My daughter needs a future

It just seems to me that working when your young is the best bet to work for an early retirement and take risks to get there quicker(gambling/lottery/stocks). Alot of the cats on here can't really relate to the pressure of being a parent and having that kind of responsibility gets your feet moving to work.

Settling your differences on how you feel about who/what you work for is something else if your priorities are just worrying about yourself.

Weighing the pros/cons of family responsibility against how you feel about the "man" is no contest for a real man. Not only are you broke but considered a dead-beat father. Over my dead body will I ever be called that.
word up..

my brother told me a quote once that i thought was pretty cool...

"when ur young if ur not a liberal, you have no heart...
when u grow up, if ur not conservative u have no brain.."

somethin like that i dont remember the exact words...

i hope i dont become a conservative regular dude when i get older but ive pictured what it wood be like tryin to be all fuck-the-govt when u have kids n a wife...
Old 12-06-2006, 01:10 AM   #6
hidden ninja

hidden ninja grasshopper

this the life im living right now.
its like the shit aint what anybody really wants to do.
just that you need to get that money somehow.
it's difficult to survive without it in todays society.
hidden ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 03:57 AM   #7
Bloo
Da Main Gatdamit!!!

Bloo drunken mastaBloo drunken mastaBloo drunken masta
Send a message via MSN to Bloo

^^ I wouldn't say that. It's only as hard as you believe it is.

Rant number 2 for the night commin ya'll!

Right now I guess you can put me in the 9-5 lifestyle. I work from 11pm to 7am at a hotel. Honestly it's one of the best kinda jobs you can have in the 40 hour a week world. I get paid $10 an hour to basically do dick all night long. My actual workload consists of maybe 2 hours worth of work. Most of the time I'm on the clock playing video games, watching a movie, or fuckin around with ya'll online. Perfect job if you like little responsibility or if you're in school. It's not where I see myself forever, but as it stands this is where I've been for the last 3 years.

The 9-5 world is kinda like the military to me. You have those who are geared towards the life cause they were bred for it then you have those who do it cause they feel a lack of order in their life unless they're taking orders. But like with any faction of life, you have to decide what it is you want to do, then figure out the steps you need to take in order to get there. Some people might use the 9-5 as a stepping stone, while others settle into it. I myself decided to settle, at least at first. But the more I think about it, I've been gearing myself towards the opposite.

Like what LHX said, it's almost like a fear of leaving that lifestyle cause it's what you're used to. But you can be sucessful if you have dicipline. For some, they have to have that alarm clock waking them up Monday through Friday to feel that dicipline in them. But as with all things in life, you gotta decide what's more important to you. And once you do, be ready to give something up in order to get and keep it.

Last edited by Bloo; 12-06-2006 at 04:00 AM.
Bloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 07:21 AM   #8
Visionz
The People's Champ

Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via AIM to Visionz

Quote:
Does anybody here actually live the 9-5 life?

If so, do you actively look for a way out of it?

What are the obstacles to getting out?

If not, why?

Is it because you do not want to?

Or is it because you feel you can't?

Me personally, I worked the 9-5 lifestyle for about 7 years, but I eventually lost the ability to keep it up (or perhaps became unafraid to turn my back on that lifestyle)

Waking up for alarms and showing up to a place at a time on a clock and then attending a building for 40 hours a week seem to be some unreasonable sacrifices to make especially when you find that the system you are contributing to really does not have anybodys best interest in mind (save a select few as mentioned in the article V posted up earlier today)

Also, taking orders from other men seems a little bizarre.

Back in the '50s and '60s, the estimation was that by now, people would only have to work like 10 hours a week

but instead, people are working more hours than ever before
I'm curious as to how you maintain things w/out doing the 9-5 deal. Most people aren't getting paid to do what they love because no one's offering funds to do it. I'd be great if I could pay rent and bills with positive thoughts but I've had no such luck.

Support the Real. Click HERE
Visionz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 07:45 AM   #9
abasi
Veteran Member

abasi grasshopper

true
i dont think its stupidity
its money
and most people rather work 9-5
than do something illegal to make ends meet
abasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 07:46 AM   #10
100pr00f
Deadly Venom

100pr00f Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)100pr00f Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)100pr00f Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)100pr00f Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)100pr00f Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)100pr00f Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)100pr00f Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)100pr00f Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)100pr00f Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)100pr00f Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)100pr00f Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

i work the 7-3 ...but sometime i would work till 7 am to 2 am
...i have no kids no wife just me so i dont mind it

the money is good
100pr00f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 08:10 AM   #11
PHENIX

PHENIX grasshopper

I'm working that 7-3:30 lifestyle and I hate it. I hate chasing a clock day in and day out and someone telling me hey you better be hungry at 11:00 and if you aint then your shit outta luck until 3:30. I'm busting my ass everyday and sacraficing everything to make someone else millions of dollars and all I get in return is crumbs. My advice to anyone knowing what I know now. Look into owning your own business. I'm working on mine now. Bust your ass for yourself because the payoff will be more rewarding. It's crazy how your working on a project for a company and you close a deal for a million dollars and all you get is a $3000 bonus and the man gets the other $997,000.00.

"U can see the weakness of a man right through his iris"
PHENIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 08:12 AM   #12
100pr00f
Deadly Venom

100pr00f Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)100pr00f Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)100pr00f Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)100pr00f Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)100pr00f Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)100pr00f Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)100pr00f Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)100pr00f Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)100pr00f Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)100pr00f Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)100pr00f Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

shit my job is flexy i realy come in at 8 and leave at 2 : 40 to beat the rush hr traffic and still charge a 8 hr day
i can take off any time i want
im told nothing ..i make my own day at work..i take a hr lunch break ant time i wanna take lunch
100pr00f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 08:13 AM   #13
PHENIX

PHENIX grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Unseen View Post
I'm curious as to how you maintain things w/out doing the 9-5 deal. Most people aren't getting paid to do what they love because no one's offering funds to do it. I'd be great if I could pay rent and bills with positive thoughts but I've had no such luck.
Positive thoughts. hmmmm..... Alot of MC's pay their rent and bills with them. You should look into that and I know you got skills I read alot of your rap battles. Or how about writing a book.

"U can see the weakness of a man right through his iris"
PHENIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 08:19 AM   #14
Visionz
The People's Champ

Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

I just make sure to find a job that I like. I work 4 tens during the course of the week and get three days off, which isn't too bad. I'm getting paid right now to fuck around on WTC and that's about it atleast for the first 3 hours of every day, and sometimes longer.

Running your own business is cool but you gotta have the capital to get it going. I'm working in cellular sales and helping this guy to get his business off the ground but just to get his location up he spent about 35 large. I personally don't have that kind of money to be throwing around, guess it just all depends on the kind of business you're lookin on setting up.

Old 12-06-2006, 08:26 AM   #15
Visionz
The People's Champ

Quote:
Positive thoughts. hmmmm..... Alot of MC's pay their rent and bills with them. You should look into that and I know you got skills I read alot of your rap battles. Or how about writing a book.
haha, word. But there's a reason starving artist is a cliche term ya know. I've actually tried sitting down and writing a book but I just have no idea where to even begin. "What do I want to say? Do I really need to say anything? If I'm just telling a story, what story am I telling?"...etc Honestly I could see myself getting into journalism somewhere down the road on some Alex Jones shit its just that there's no guarentee you'll be able to feed your family with it. Whatever it is that I end up doing, I am lookin to make that consistent paper and that doesn't always coincide with where my passions are.