news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop

Old 12-26-2006, 06:55 PM   #1
cap
THE ILL ONE

cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via MSN to cap
Default i cant feel rappers if they dont use proper multi's...

am i the only one who feels like this??
i suppose everyone knows what a multi is,so i wont bother explaining it.

thats the very reason i cant get into a lot of old-school shit.
to me,multi's are essential i cant even stand to listen to rappers that rhyme single words and shit.

cap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 07:04 PM   #2
noel411
The ABBOTT

noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Multies don't impress me at all. To me they have nothing to do with lyricism. In fact, a good part of why I don't like modern hip hop is because of all this multi bullshit. I like hearing mc's who write something strong and use multies in it, but all this bullshit where people just focus so much on multies and put so much emphasis on it, is just really weak to me. It's not true lyricism to me. It's a lot harder to write a strong lyrical verse like Gza for example, than it is to rhyme a whole lot of syllables about whatever fits. Fuck multies.

I'm pretty much the opposite. I can't stand all this multi shit in modern hip hop, and prefer to listen to older shit where they were actually saying something because they wanted to say it, and not just saying whatever rhymed.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:11 PM   #3
cap
THE ILL ONE

cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via MSN to cap

yeah i feel you man,i can let these feelings slide when it comes to certain cats like BIG or gza (although he uses them a lot too)

a lot of cats can say the sickest shit ever without multi's,but it jut takes me longer to appreciate it.
its actually a negative thing for me to feel this way,cus i might miss out on some ill shit.

cap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 07:11 PM   #4
Visionz
The People's Champ

Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via AIM to Visionz

plus there's rhyming dictionaries, it's doesn't take a whole lot of talent to look shit up and then chain 'em together, multi's do sound good but they have to be used effectively and shouldn't be used at the cost of the actual message being conveyed

Support the Real. Click HERE
Visionz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 07:15 PM   #5
Prolifical ENG
Semi Retired

Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Actually GZA can rhyme very simple words together and it will sound like a very good rhyme....just the way he says them.

If you rhyme single words, then you need to be saying a lot in your bars....A LOT.

Prolifical ENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 07:15 PM   #6
noel411
The ABBOTT

noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
multi's do sound good but they have to be used effectively and shouldn't be used at the cost of the actual message being conveyed
That's pretty much it. And there are soooo many rappers these days throwing around multies just for the sake of it, which has contributed greatly to putting me right off hip hop. The worst thing is hearing mc's who have been around for a long time falling into the same bullshit trend.
Old 12-26-2006, 07:20 PM   #7
noel411
The ABBOTT

Quote:
Actually GZA can rhyme very simple words together and it will sound like a very good rhyme....just the way he says them.
I'd rather hear a single syllable rhyme per bar verse by Gza, than a syllable for syllable rhyme per bar verse by anybody else. Immortal Tech is another strong lyricist who often uses basic single syllable rhymes. He's also the only mc who has come out since 2000 that I'm interested in. Fuck multies. They're ruining hip hop for me.

I've got more appreciation for MF Grimm's lyrics, which are about as basic as it gets, than I do for somebody like Doom, Sean P, or all these modern mc's who use multies just for the sake of it.

Last edited by noel411; 12-26-2006 at 07:23 PM.
noel411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 07:22 PM   #8
Prolifical ENG
Semi Retired

Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

I forgot to mention on the other hand, multis do make your lyrics stand out a lot and work into a flow if they are properly.

Prolifical ENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 07:25 PM   #9
noel411
The ABBOTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prolifical ENG View Post
I forgot to mention on the other hand, multis do make your lyrics stand out a lot and work into a flow if they are properly.
I'll agree that they definately help build a strong flow when done right. If you match the syllable count for extended multies it flows like magic. Still, I'd rather hear strong lines.

Fuck this, I'm going for a surf.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:22 PM   #10
zeppelin2k
Masta Flows

zeppelin2k grasshopper

its all about flow and presence on the mic
thats why gza could be rapping jingle bells and it'd be bomb

but yeah it all depends on the rappers, some rappers would suck w/o multis, some are sick without them

Keep it blacker than the back of ya necK
zeppelin2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 10:29 PM   #11
Bigot Hitman
"Come as you are"

Bigot Hitman shaolin monk
Send a message via AIM to Bigot Hitman

I like the multi using rappin rappers like big l, mf doom, cassidy, big daddy kane, eight ball and bum b, but if you ain't comin hardcore like too short or pimp c, then u should use a certain amount of multis to me. But i can listen to simple rhymes schemes from guys like pimp c too short and gza all day long. U just gotta come hardcore or be sayin somethin. But other guys like papoose let multis control what there going to say next, while other guys like nas and ghost can control the multis and incorporate them every other line which makes is flow right and sound right. So to me its just if you can rock'em right.
Cross your arms, its too late for helping hands
Spit your pity elsewhere, there's no sympathy needed
For one who's never alive, for one who's never completed (Bigot Hitman)
http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/sho...=25482&page=61
Bigot Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 03:04 AM   #12
INF
Digital @fterLife

INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)INF Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via AIM to INF

Wow Cap , thats a good question. I always wanted to bring this up because as a writer , I ask myself that question. I mean, I write what I write from my own state of mind and all but then I think about if ppl feel that way about the multis. Like , do they figure that it makes up the quality. I find that I can listen to all types of styles and appriciate them. I do think that multis are pretty fly but then you can have something that is the opposite and its still just as fly.

You gotta have variety.You know.
INF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 10:55 AM   #13
SubliminaL_tha_7th_BorN
PreDestinatioN

SubliminaL_tha_7th_BorN grasshopper
Thumbs down

peace..,

Pardon self, but what the fuck are you really onto right now? NO disrespect intended. I swear, everytime I come on the internet I come across hundreds of netcees that have never performed a live show in their lives...always expressing their infatuation with multies. Man, you can run 100 bars of multies and still be whack as hell. Multies are now...a generic and trendy structure......that really allow anyone to rap...NOT EMCEE. Mother Goose uses multies. On top of that, if your famous multies have NO SUBSTANCE, in other words..IF U AINT SAYIN SHIT..., you're gonna be whack regardless. I always encounter these overly technical hiphop netcees talking about multies, using multies, living and dying by multies.. and 90% of em are whack. Like rap isn't MONOTONOUS or REDUNDANT ENOUGH already as is. The utilization of multies...is extremely redundant. I'm reading this cat's opinion like..., what happened to actually: SAYIN SHIT, innovativeness, creativity, originality, wit, skill with PASSION (and just MAKING GOOD MUSIC REGARDLESS OF ALL THIS TECHINCAL BULLSHIT)?!?! Last time I checked some of those previous and most vital elements.......turned heads, not a "HEY I USE MULTIES." If everyone used multies.....then this rap shit would be extremely boring, and everyone would sound the same flow wise. To me, that'd be boring, and just worsen the present condition of this crap.
If you can't stand to HEAR an artist who doesn't use multies, let me be the 1st to tell you..., your musical taste is shallow. I will also tell you..., you spend more time HEARING music...NOT LISTENING TO IT., there's a distinct difference between the two. And maybe that explains your addiction to "multies." On a personl artistic level, if I ever have a multi or 2 in my bars....it was by accident, I don't go out of my way to use multies. I prefer to let my craft be naturaL...in other words, whatever comes out..comes out. But I strive to bring it with some sort of skill 1st and farmost. You're missing out on other emcees...just because you like multies...and that's sad. Like my boy Muko said, "Multies are a redundant, rhetorical, and wasteful sound." <---Especially if you aint sayin shit.

But yo, this is some european Wu Tang site, so I'm sure yall familiar with the name..Raekwon. He said it best, "THIS SHIT IS ONLY BUILT FOR CUBAN LINX.." and that's the damn truth. If you don't get that, you spend too much time HEARING music, instead of LISTENING to it....., which I find strange..considering what this craft is really about.

expand yaDElf....GOOD MUSIC SHOULD BE THE FINAL PRODUCT., and that can be determined by an infinite amount of things beyond multies.

peace

soon enough, ni77as gonna start talkin about how PUNCHLINES make verses, and if don't flow with punchlines..then they can't stand it..or it's not "real."

SUBLIMINALTHA7THBORN

"The truth that makes men free is for the most part the truth which men prefer not to hear.."
SubliminaL_tha_7th_BorN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 11:35 AM   #14
renagade410

renagade410 grasshopper

multies are not nessecary but it is nice to use them IF YOU DONT REVOLVE THE WHOLE LINE AROUND THE MULTI........i seen ppl write n they will write the multi first and then just put anything to fill up the sentence which results in getting off topic which i cannot stand but as said before multies are very effective when used correctly its just that some ppl focus mainly on using multies and forget the other elements of writing a verse
renagade410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 02:27 PM   #15
venex
aka PROFIT

venex drunken mastavenex drunken masta
Send a message via MSN to venex

wtf is a multie ? haha, me dumb
En garde, I'll let you try my wu-tang style...
venex is offline   Reply With Quote