news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop > Album reviews

Old 01-16-2007, 11:49 AM   #1
TAURO
El Don of this shit

TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Default Luniz - Operation Stackola

[IMG][/IMG]

1.Intro
2.Put The Lead On Ya
3.I Got 5 On It
4.Broke Hos
5.Pimps, Playas & Hustlas
6.Playa Hata
7.Broke Niggaz
8.Operation Stackola
10.900 Blame A Nigga
11.Yellow Brick Road
12.So Much Drama
13.She's Just A Freak
14.Plead Guilty
15.I Got 5 On It (Remix)
16.Outro

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
Method Man
TAURO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 03:47 AM   #2
TAURO
El Don of this shit

TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Before Yukmouth had beef with G-Unit he was one half of the group Luniz who with Knumskull came in 95 with their platinum selling album OPERATION STACKOLA. Carried by their international hit I got 5 on it Luniz quickly blew up, but in time they eventually faded back into the underground.

OPERATION STACKOLA is a bit of a difficult album for me to review, reason is because back when this came out in 95 I loved this type of hip hop, but as time has gone on my taste has matured and developed meaning I expect more from rap these days because the lyrics here consist of the usual by today's standards of pimping hoes, busting shots and getting money stacks...
Despite this though, back in 95 this group along with others brought me a lot of joy.

LYRICS
Yukmouth and Knumbskull both have great flow and ride the beats well, despite the repetitive and limited subject matter it's clear that both mc's are having fun and clearly this was their actual way of thinking at the time.
For me the opening track PUT THE LEAD ON YA and imo the classic I GOT 5 ON IT demonstrate their style the best.

PRODUCTION
Depending on what you think of Westcoast and Mid-West production you will either love it or hate it, personally this type of production was at it's best in the mid ninties, carrying nice smooth grooves while still being able to bump your head to it.

OVERALL
This is a summertime album to bump in the whip with the top down, it's really the best way to get the most from this album.
In terms of intellectual stimulation you won't get much from this and if you already hate that thug/gangsta type rap this probably won't do much to sway you, but it does carry a certain energy which is appealing and if thug rap is your thing then this a good solid album to add to the collection.

Lyrics - 6/10
Production - 8/10
Overall - 7/10
http://www.zshare.net/audio/02-put-t...on-ya-mp3.html

Method Man

Last edited by TAURO; 05-13-2007 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:10 AM   #3
TAURO
El Don of this shit

Am I the only one who has heard this album?.......why no comments?

Method Man
Old 05-12-2007, 06:39 PM   #4
GreenPoop!

GreenPoop! grasshopper

I Got 5 On It is one my favorite beats.
GreenPoop! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 01:41 PM   #5
The Hound
Fuck the King

The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

i havent herd this in like fuck, 10 years or something so my memory is very sketchy, but i remember we used to listen to it every afternoon at the park after skool playin soccer to this shit for hours, i keep meaning to purchase another copy ... lookin forward to a review ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTLACED View Post
I say nigga and i'm white
The Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 02:09 PM   #6
11th Chamber
Are U Watching Closely?

11th Chamber fist of fury11th Chamber fist of fury11th Chamber fist of fury11th Chamber fist of fury11th Chamber fist of fury11th Chamber fist of fury11th Chamber fist of fury11th Chamber fist of fury11th Chamber fist of fury11th Chamber fist of fury11th Chamber fist of fury

It's G-Unit bitch, let me show you what blood bout
When my blood pressure rises, I bring the Bloods out
Put the barrell on his neck, blow his guts out (gunshot)
Now that's whats you call a Yukmouth
11th Chamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 03:41 PM   #7
TAURO
El Don of this shit

Updated review.

Method Man
Old 05-17-2007, 01:36 AM   #8
noel411
The ABBOTT

noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

I used to bump this album back in the day. I recently got hold of it again and gave it a spin. It's a cool album. Still really dig 'I Got 5 On It'. Other than that it's nothing special. It worked for me back in the day but not so much anymore.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:56 AM   #9
Longbongcilvaringz

Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

"I Got 5 On It" has a nice beat, saw the album recently for $5 or $10, might pick it up next time.

Longbongcilvaringz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 10:14 AM   #10
TUCO
THE DIFFERENCE

TUCO shaolin masta killaTUCO shaolin masta killaTUCO shaolin masta killaTUCO shaolin masta killaTUCO shaolin masta killaTUCO shaolin masta killaTUCO shaolin masta killa

this a classic!!!
sucks ppl only recognize "i got 5 on it"
Yukmouth's solo shit is dope too
back when Bay Area was pioneering shit evryone else stole

TUCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 10:31 AM   #11
TAURO
El Don of this shit

I've got a Yukmouth double cd album which i've had for years, I don't have the cover because I picked it up at a bargain sale, one cd is blue the other red. I remember quite likeing it although I have no idea were I put it.

Method Man
Old 12-30-2007, 07:22 PM   #12
Olive Oil Goombah
Anglophile

Olive Oil Goombah shaolin masta killaOlive Oil Goombah shaolin masta killaOlive Oil Goombah shaolin masta killaOlive Oil Goombah shaolin masta killaOlive Oil Goombah shaolin masta killaOlive Oil Goombah shaolin masta killaOlive Oil Goombah shaolin masta killa

Put the Lead on Ya was my fav. track.....I listened to it on youtube for the first time since like 96 or somethin....10 years. Forgot how good that song was.
Olive Oil Goombah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 02:46 PM   #13
CharlesJones
Veteran Member

CharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of fury

Operation Stackola is a tight album. There's other good songs on the album besides I Got 5 On It. Yukmouth is a funny dude. His interviews in Murder Dog magazine always make me laugh because he always disses Master P, 50 Cent and Dr Dre. The double cd you're talking about by him is called Thugged Out. That's a tight album. I got his other albums Thug Lord and Godzilla. Those are decent. He has a song on Thug Lord dissing Master P and Too Short.
CharlesJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 02:48 PM   #14
Dragondude_R

Dragondude_R grasshopper

Classic album, Broke Niggaz is my shit.
Dragondude_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 04:15 PM   #15
CharlesJones
Veteran Member

CharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of fury

Have ya'll heard the other Luniz albums Lunitik Musik and Silver And Black? Those are pretty good too. Yukmouth said he was disappointed with Lunitik Musik album because his record label was trying to get him and Numbskull to do some mainstream songs and they didn't wanna do that. He said they wanted to make the album gutter like their first album. Yukmouth also said he doesn't want his fans to think it's his and Numbskull's fault that Lunitik Musik wasn't that good of a album because he said if it was up to them, they would've made the album hard. I remember their first single Me And You with Raphael Saddiq from Lunitik Musik and that song was gay. I know they didn't wanna do that shit.

Yukmouth also did a collabo album with C-Bo and they called themselves Thug Lordz and the album was called In Thugs We Trust. That's a tight ass album. They got a song on there dissing G Unit rapping on G Unit's How To Stunt beat and they shitted on G Unit badly LOL. They also got a song with Spice 1 and they did a remake of a old Spice 1 song i forgot the name of. Spice 1 was supposed to be in the Thug Lordz group but Yukmouth said it was hard for him to do the album with him and C-Bo because Spice 1 lived in Las Vegas instead of Oakland when the album was being recorded and it was hard for them to keep in contact with him. Have ya'll peeped Yukmouth's compilation albums United Ghettos Of America volume 1 and volume 2? I didn't like the albums because of the beats but the rhymes was tight.
CharlesJones is offline   Reply With Quote