news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop

Old 02-15-2007, 05:22 PM   #16
tancen
Hip-Hop-Head

tancen grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpOk3N View Post
tonedeff and louis logic both rap in diff. time signatures at times
Others than 6/8? can you upload examples?
Old 07-24-2009, 07:25 AM   #17
jocke

jocke grasshopper

I'm planning to write a rap song in 11/8. It will be divided like 2+2+3+2+2. If you want to hear my rap music, it's on www.myspace.com/viknullardig haha
jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:21 PM   #18
MadConductor

MadConductor grasshopper

The Mad Conductor has just released a four song EP entitled "Central America". It is a hip-hop record where all the songs stray from traditional 4/4 time. This has not been done very often but can sound very interesting and cool if done properly. Give the single "Cross Gates Estates" a listen at Myspace.com/themadconductor or go to Amazon.com and hear the samples, the mp3-EP is available on Amazon for $3.56. This may be the next step in hip-hop music.
MadConductor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:00 AM   #19
BIG D O
Veteran Member

Location: Somewhwere between concern and not givin a shit....
BIG D O iron monkeyBIG D O iron monkeyBIG D O iron monkeyBIG D O iron monkey

most are 4/4 because that's what works for a steady loop....Hip-Hop production is creative enough within the 4/4 measure....

only other music that uses other time signatures is orchestral music or music that doesn't derive it's ryhtym from drums/percussion...that's the way it is most times anyway....
BIG D O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 02:28 AM   #20
Cthulhu
Veteran Member

Cthulhu iron monkeyCthulhu iron monkeyCthulhu iron monkeyCthulhu iron monkeyCthulhu iron monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG D O View Post
most are 4/4 because that's what works for a steady loop....Hip-Hop production is creative enough within the 4/4 measure....

only other music that uses other time signatures is orchestral music or music that doesn't derive it's ryhtym from drums/percussion...that's the way it is most times anyway....
Not true at all. There's plenty of jazz in non-4/4 time signatures and that's a very rhythm section driven genre.
Lots of extreme metal, particularly technical death metal uses odd time signatures with frequent changes and the drums are extremely important in driving and accentuating songs in those genres.
Plenty of experimental electronic music such as breakcore use drums samples in odd time signatures. Listen to just about anything by Venetian Snares.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:26 AM   #21
SL33
Hungry Hyena From Medina

SL33 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SL33 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SL33 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SL33 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SL33 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SL33 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SL33 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SL33 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SL33 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SL33 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SL33 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
Not true at all. There's plenty of jazz in non-4/4 time signatures and that's a very rhythm section driven genre.
Lots of extreme metal, particularly technical death metal uses odd time signatures with frequent changes and the drums are extremely important in driving and accentuating songs in those genres.
Plenty of experimental electronic music such as breakcore use drums samples in odd time signatures. Listen to just about anything by Venetian Snares.

nice post.

SL33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:44 AM   #22
fatboybrandon
Your fav. artist's artist

fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tancen View Post
Others than 6/8? can you upload examples?

the little excerpt at the end of Slum Village's Fall In Love where T3 sounds like he's freestyling

then I like songs like these where the beat is still 4/4 but a sloooow tempo and the MC is rhyming in an increased time signature, also the percussion is increased making it sound faster:

Enimem - Superman

Dr. Dre - Forgot About Dre
fatboybrandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:58 AM   #23
Ghost In The 'Lac
crushed out heavenly

Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memory Man View Post
Nas' Heaven from God's Son is in 6/8 and flows well. there are others as well...
great example, this beat works really well

im pretty positive alot of Madvillainy and the Further Adventures of Lord Quas are not in 4/4

also Donuts and mid 90's rza

Last edited by Ghost In The 'Lac; 01-19-2010 at 10:00 AM.
Ghost In The 'Lac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:21 AM   #24
fatboybrandon

fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)fatboybrandon Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Some Hi Tek hot shit:

dope beat from his first solo release, this feels dreamlike to me the way the rhythm is flowing and smooth sounds used

Love Language is still 4/4, but the length of meter between when the snares land is longer than usual, making it feel like an original time signature of hip hop

somebody asked about Jazz timing earlier in this thread, I don't know anybody who flipped a Jazz time sig in hip hop better than J Dilla on Electric Circus's "I Am Music" w Common. This one of my favorite cuts on that album, Common flows like water even on this weird time signature:

I consider Jay Dee and Hi Tek two dudes who brought alota heat and creativity to the table for hip hop production in the early 2000's, I guess this is a small example of that
Old 01-19-2010, 04:58 PM   #25
Cthulhu
Veteran Member

Cthulhu iron monkeyCthulhu iron monkeyCthulhu iron monkeyCthulhu iron monkeyCthulhu iron monkey

not hip-hop, but this Venetian Snares track is definitely of interest to rap heads as it features numerous samples from Sway & King Tech's "The Anthem." I'm not sure what time signature it's in, but a lot of his stuff is in 7/4.

Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 06:20 PM   #26
fatboybrandon

This banger from Jay-Z to end The Black Album in 3/4 time, this song stood out to me on the first listen to what I thought would be his final LP.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:56 AM   #27
BIG D O
Veteran Member

Location: Somewhwere between concern and not givin a shit....
BIG D O iron monkeyBIG D O iron monkeyBIG D O iron monkeyBIG D O iron monkey

Quote:
death metal and jazz don't derive their rythym from the percussion to me....those derive their rythyms from the instrumentation....you ride along with the flute, horn, sax, guitar etc., more so than the drums/percussion which in those cases are simply used to like you said accentuate....accentuation ain't punctuation....

you are right that other genres do use more than the standard 4/4, but it's rare.....most of the time when it comes to rock, blues, country, jazz, funk, Hip-Hop, soul and pop that's gonna be the time sig my man....and if not that, then 2/2....

only types of music that consistently uses a complex time sig is a waltz or a ballad of some sort as well as Italian or French folk dance music....

I'll give you the nod on the experimental and electronic music comments because i don't mess with that stuff at all and to speak on that would be way outta my depth...

Last edited by BIG D O; 01-20-2010 at 01:00 AM.
BIG D O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:06 AM   #28
oDoUoSoKo
frieza saga

oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via AIM to oDoUoSoKo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboybrandon View Post
This banger from Jay-Z to end The Black Album in 3/4 time, this song stood out to me on the first listen to what I thought would be his final LP.

thats not so very unusual...plenty of HH songs in three
oDoUoSoKo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:49 AM   #29
MAYOR QUIMBY
Veteran Member

MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

What time signature would the song "MONEY" by Pink Floyd be? Or "All You Need Is Love" by The Beatles?
MAYOR QUIMBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 02:06 AM   #30
5hundred&one
Groovallegiance

5hundred&one Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)5hundred&one Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)5hundred&one Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)5hundred&one Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)5hundred&one Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)5hundred&one Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)5hundred&one Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)5hundred&one Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)5hundred&one Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)5hundred&one Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)5hundred&one Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
jazz & metal don't rely on rhythm nearly as much as hip-hop. neither have roots in dance music for one thing. jazz is driven by the rhythm section, but it's not naturally a rhythmic style of music. just sayin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboybrandon View Post
Some Hi Tek hot shit:

dope beat from his first solo release, this feels dreamlike to me the way the rhythm is flowing and smooth sounds used

Love Language is still 4/4, but the length of meter between when the snares land is longer than usual, making it feel like an original time signature of hip hop
hi-tek's dope, good post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaststroke & Butterfly View Post
What time signature would the song "MONEY" by Pink Floyd be? Or "All You Need Is Love" by The Beatles?
money is 7/4 in the verses & 4/4 everywhere else. you might think it would be more common, but it's hard to sing over, and if you listen to money, the verses are very fragmented and he only sings short lines at a time, which is the easiest way to make it work. that song is genius. all you need is love is also in 7/4 mostly, but it's even more mixed with 6/4 and 4/4 during some parts. to find out a time signature, learn what a beat and a measure are and then listen to a song and count the beats per measure and how many measures there are in a section and that's the time signature.

7 beats in 4 measures is 7/4 for example.

another example of 3/4 is drunk and hot girls by kanye west & mos def.

Last edited by 5hundred&one; 01-20-2010 at 02:08 AM.
5hundred&one is offline   Reply With Quote