news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > The Sports Zone

Old 02-26-2007, 11:30 PM   #1
check two
N.I.

check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)
Default Should the Negro Hockey League be given more credit for the origins of ice hockey?

Sorry if this was already mentioned. I heard a story on ESPN about how the slap shot actually started being used back in the late 1800's, years and years before it started being used by the white hockey players. For those that don't know, there used to be a Colored Hockey League, it was called. It was compromised of slaves that secretly left the US, and went to parts of Canada like Nova Scotia. They formed a hockey league, but most people don't recognize this league, and the accomplishments, for some reason. A lot people in Toronto don't acknowledge it. Does anyone else here know about this? Any thoughts?

check two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 12:37 PM   #2
dirty-minded

dirty-minded grasshopper

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coloured_Hockey_League

I'm pretty sure the majority of hockey players haven't even heard of it.
dirty-minded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:12 PM   #3
Prolifical ENG
Semi Retired

Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Never heard of it, but it sounds possible.

Are you saying that they invented the slap shot in hockey?

Prolifical ENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 01:15 PM   #4
Gawd
Just walk away.

Gawd iron monkeyGawd iron monkeyGawd iron monkeyGawd iron monkey

fake. never happened.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:02 PM   #5
check two
N.I.

check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)check two King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)

Well, according to what was being said, the players in the Colored Hockey League started using the slap shot like 50 years before it was being used by other hockey players. When a team from the Colored Hockey League would beat a white team, the white team would be so upset, that when they played them again, they would change the team around, to try and have a better shot at winning. I don't think some of the people involved in hockey will be too accepting of these things. Still a lot of racists out there.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:03 PM   #6
check two
N.I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eD View Post
fake. never happened.
I saw old pictures of the team. Unless they had photoshop back around the early 1900's.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:28 PM   #7
Gawd
Just walk away.

they did. but the white man held that lil peice of software down. because you saw a pic of black men playing hockey doesnt mean they were ex slaves etc.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:33 PM   #8
dirty-minded

dirty-minded grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by check two View Post
Well, according to what was being said, the players in the Colored Hockey League started using the slap shot like 50 years before it was being used by other hockey players. When a team from the Colored Hockey League would beat a white team, the white team would be so upset, that when they played them again, they would change the team around, to try and have a better shot at winning. I don't think some of the people involved in hockey will be too accepting of these things. Still a lot of racists out there.
I could be wrong but I don't think you can invent the slap-shot. It's just a motion really. Anyways, I think the slap-shot was banned in the earliest "white hockey". I don't think they didn't know what it was, just that they couldn't use it because of safety issues and obviously the rules of that league.
dirty-minded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:36 PM   #9
check two
N.I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eD View Post
they did. but the white man held that lil peice of software down. because you saw a pic of black men playing hockey doesnt mean they were ex slaves etc.
Why are you so sure that the story is fake? Seemed pretty factual to me.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:38 PM   #10
check two
N.I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty-minded View Post
I could be wrong but I don't think you can invent the slap-shot. It's just a motion really. Anyways, I think the slap-shot was banned in the earliest "white hockey". I don't think they didn't know what it was, just that they couldn't use it because of safety issues and obviously the rules of that league.
I'm just going by what was said on ESPN, that the players in the Colored Hockey League were using slap shots before other players did.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:44 PM   #11
Gawd
Just walk away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by check two View Post
Why are you so sure that the story is fake? Seemed pretty factual to me.
I just dont belled that run away slaves ran to canada to form a black hockey leauge.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:46 PM   #12
check two
N.I.

I don't think they went to Canada, just so they could form their own hockey league. They wanted to be free, hence the trip to Canada. The concept probably came about after they had been over in Canada.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:49 PM   #13
Prolifical ENG
Semi Retired

Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Around that period, it can be believed that those black people came to Canada by The Underground Railroad.

It is true that you cant really "invent" a slapshot...im sure people have been hacking at the puck before but perhaps that black team was first to master the slap shot because it does take a lot of practice to make it consistently powerful and accurate.

This can't be an excuse that it made them that much better. Slap shots do not win hockey games. But I guess the equipment and the time period has to be considered. It might be right that it was banned due to injuries.

Prolifical ENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:49 PM   #14
Gawd
Just walk away.

i dont think it would be allowed even in canada.

The following errors occurred when this message was submitted
    1. This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between posts. Please try again in 28 seconds.

The following errors occurred when this message was submitted
    1. This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between posts. Please try again in 28 seconds.

following errors occurred when this message was submitted
    1. This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between posts. Please try again in 10 seconds.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:35 PM   #15
abasi
Veteran Member

abasi grasshopper

I saw the story on Espn also and it was very interesting but why would Espn and the historians fake pics and a story of this.
Seriously
abasi is offline   Reply With Quote