news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop > Album reviews

Old 05-31-2007, 05:28 AM   #1
irish ins
SHAOLIN STUDENT

irish ins shaolin monk
Default Pharoahe Monch - Desire

Not going to lie i was goin to buy this album couldn't wait..... def worth it!!!!
alot of the tracks have leaked but when you listen to the album each track still remains fresh despite the fact i raped my ears playing Desire (the track.)
anyway classic monch def 4.5 /5 gotta give this more time to seep in.

01. Intro 00:33 - nice soulful intro
02. Free 03:35 - guitar based track nice opener for the album 5/5
03. Desire (Ft. Showtime) 03:32 - 5/5 classic shit
04. Push (Ft. Showtime, Mela Machinko, Tower Of Power) 02:52 - didn't like this when i first heard it too much but fits in with the album and lovin it now 4/5
05. Welcome To The Terrordome 03:31- nice old school feel 4.5/5
06. What It Is 02:56 - dark track 4.5/5
07. When The Gun Draws (Ft. Mr. Porter) 03:17 great concept track 4/5
08. Let's Go (Ft. Mela Machinko) 04:17 5/5 lovin it brilliant skit at the end really adds to flow of the album
09. Body Baby 03:19- hated it before but after the build up with the skit it flows really well with the album 4/5
10. Bar Trap (Ft. Mela Machinko) 03:08- 5/5 same sample as Gangstarr " Betrayal" brilliant
11. Hold On (Ft. Erykah Badu) 03:50- 5/5 lovin this track
12. So Good 03:15 real slow track nice soulful sounds like something Common should remix
13. Trilogy (Act 1 Ft. Mr. Porter, Act 2 Ft. Dwele, Act 3 Ft. Tone) 09:25 5/5 an epic story telling track from Monch nice switch of beats from Porter
14. Agent Orange (UK Bonus Track) 03:44 5/5 classic hip-hop track
irish ins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:04 PM   #2
fortyglock
Veteran Member

fortyglock prodigal sonfortyglock prodigal sonfortyglock prodigal sonfortyglock prodigal sonfortyglock prodigal sonfortyglock prodigal son

Agree with the above review. This album is a very good example that shows quantity does not equal quality. No weak rhymes at all here, and production is real soulful. This album is def one of the best ones to come out this millenium. It has been in constant rotation and ive never skipped a track yet, after coppin it a couple weeks ago.
fortyglock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 01:50 AM   #3
RynMur
LVsMostBlunted

RynMur iron monkeyRynMur iron monkeyRynMur iron monkey

Great Album.
Overall Grade: (4.3/5) A-
3 Fav Tracks: Free, Desire, Hold On
Old 07-13-2007, 02:31 AM   #4
HarlemDiplomat
ADEPT

HarlemDiplomat grasshopper

Man I didn't like the production and thus making majority of the album unlistenable. There are 2 possibly 3 good songs on it overall. P. Monch could've came better on this one.

2.5/10
HarlemDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:44 AM   #5
Visionz
The People's Champ

Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via AIM to Visionz

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlemDiplomat View Post
Man I didn't like the production and thus making majority of the album unlistenable. There are 2 possibly 3 good songs on it overall. P. Monch could've came better on this one.

2.5/10
c'mon a 2.5 outta 10??? I can understand why u wouldn't like the production (though I enjoyed the soulful feel and thought they balanced the music with the lyrics quite nicely) but even so he never takes a track off lyrically and is on-point thru the entire album. Doesn't that atleast get him a 5 outta 10??

"Its like Star Wars only the Stars die
There is no sequel,
Beat three cases, C 3 PO's<----------haha love the word play there an the albums full of 'em

I know its just oppinions and all but I think you're judging maybe a lil too harsh. Defintely recommend trying to listen to it a couple of more times and see if those beats don't grow on you......just a thought

Support the Real. Click HERE
Visionz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:49 AM   #6
HarlemDiplomat
ADEPT

HarlemDiplomat grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visions Unseen View Post
c'mon a 2.5 outta 10??? I can understand why u wouldn't like the production (though I enjoyed the soulful feel and thought they balanced the music with the lyrics quite nicely) but even so he never takes a track off lyrically and is on-point thru the entire album. Doesn't that atleast get him a 5 outta 10??

"Its like Star Wars only the Stars die
There is no sequel,
Beat three cases, C 3 PO's<----------haha love the word play there an the albums full of 'em

I know its just oppinions and all but I think you're judging maybe a lil too harsh. Defintely recommend trying to listen to it a couple of more times and see if those beats don't grow on you......just a thought
Yeah I feel you. Perhaps I didn't give the production a chance to grow on me.

And to be honest I'm just judging off 1 straight listen and I skipped a few tracks after the first min.

So yeah, I should reconsider.... I'll get back after I give it some time to breath.
HarlemDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:28 AM   #7
hide1998
超黒人

hide1998 prodigal sonhide1998 prodigal sonhide1998 prodigal sonhide1998 prodigal sonhide1998 prodigal sonhide1998 prodigal son

I did a funny thing today. After listening to this CD so much I went through my CD cases to dig up Infernal Affairs (It was actually dusty), and popped that into my stereo system after just hearing Desire. Surprisingly enough, and I know basically no one will agree with me, I was feeling Desire as a full album more than his out of print solo debut CD. Just something about the feel of the album, in addition to him staying on point lyrically from beginning to end, great concepts throughout, that I'm feelin' more than his IA (although, that album was still flames).

"The day Buddha was born it rained tea instead of water" - Warcloud
hide1998 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 11:33 AM   #8
hide1998
超黒人

hide1998 prodigal sonhide1998 prodigal sonhide1998 prodigal sonhide1998 prodigal sonhide1998 prodigal sonhide1998 prodigal son

On a sidenote, I bumped the first two Organized Konfusion CDs after I popped in Infernal Affairs and I was feelin' those quite a bit more than Desire (unsurprisingly enough).

I wish I owned Equinox on CD.

Last edited by hide1998; 07-13-2007 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:48 PM   #9
fortyglock
Veteran Member

fortyglock prodigal sonfortyglock prodigal sonfortyglock prodigal sonfortyglock prodigal sonfortyglock prodigal sonfortyglock prodigal son

Wow, u really feel that way bout desire compared to internal affairs? Well I havent heard the whole of internal affairs, but judging from what people have said before I felt IA would be the overall better album. I agree with u on the fact that Desire is really cohesive, since no track feels out of place. It was a brilliant effort by Monch
Old 07-13-2007, 01:06 PM   #10
hide1998
超黒人

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyglock View Post
Wow, u really feel that way bout desire compared to internal affairs? Well I havent heard the whole of internal affairs, but judging from what people have said before I felt IA would be the overall better album. I agree with u on the fact that Desire is really cohesive, since no track feels out of place. It was a brilliant effort by Monch
Yeah, I really feel that way about IA. Don't get me wrong, I still really enjoy the album and it's WAY better than most albums that get released in general, but it doesn't feel as focused as Desire to me after close examination. Furthermore, there are maybe 2 tracks on that album I'm not entirely into (I feel they're decent, but forgettable). But I don't feel that way about any tracks on Desire.

It's just opinions though. Most on here will disagree and prefer the harder, more mainstream, Monch effort found in Infernal Affairs (Although, I still say the first two Organized Konfusion albums are easily better in my opinion). Both are tight either way in my book. Too bad Infernal is out of print. Glad I bought mine when I did.

Old 07-13-2007, 04:31 PM   #11
fortyglock
Veteran Member

Yeah your lucky you own a copy of IA, unfortunately I don't own a copy. I agree with you that Desire is really focused and that there are no forgettable tracks, all the tracks are worth hearing and none worth skipping.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:01 AM   #12
Chungsanity
SHAOLIN STUDENT

Chungsanity sitting duck

Internal Affairs is a classic, but wow what a turnoff desire made. Desire is so average it's ridiculous. I really wanted to like it but it I just could not. what a disappointment. I dont understand why it's getting enough praise.
Chungsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 02:05 AM   #13
Visionz
The People's Champ

Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Visionz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via AIM to Visionz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chungsanity View Post
Internal Affairs is a classic, but wow what a turnoff desire made. Desire is so average it's ridiculous. I really wanted to like it but it I just could not. what a disappointment. I dont understand why it's getting enough praise.
average in what way?

Support the Real. Click HERE
Visionz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 03:43 AM   #14
hide1998
超黒人

Desire definitely isn't average. Monch's wordplay alone keeps it from being that. In addition to his advanced wordplay, conceptually it's better than most albums, and production-wise it's better than a lot releases that have dropped.

It's not an album that you can "get" as quickly as Infernal Affairs (which might be why I kind of prefer Desire over it), so it makes sense why so many prefer IA. But in no stretch of the imagination, ESPECIALLY in this day of hip-hop, is Desire average.

Last edited by hide1998; 07-14-2007 at 03:45 AM.
Old 07-14-2007, 08:05 AM   #15
Chungsanity
SHAOLIN STUDENT

Chungsanity sitting duck

maybe because I'm too used to 90's gritty sound such as the infamous, illmatic, illadelph halflife, and even organized konfusion's stress. then when I listen to new albums like this, I just can't get into it. I just listened to the whole album again and I gotta admit he was lyrically on point as usual. however some of the beats are unbearable. it sounds like a crazy punk rock band came into the studio and laced him with annoying beats. I hope the album grows on me anyway.
Chungsanity is offline   Reply With Quote