news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop

Old 09-18-2014, 02:22 PM   #1
spammy sosa
Major League Bleached Asshole

spammy sosa prodigal sonspammy sosa prodigal sonspammy sosa prodigal sonspammy sosa prodigal sonspammy sosa prodigal sonspammy sosa prodigal son
Default Cam'Ron Is the Rap God

My generation has a special relationship with Cam'Ron. Heís made great music, but heís also inspired an everlasting lifestyle. Everyone has their own moment when they realized that Camís influence was unprecedented. For me, it was during my first year of high school. Iíll never forget walking the halls and seeing men, who, weeks prior, had rejected anything slightly emasculate, wearing pink in droves. Guys were forming crews called Dipset, thousands of miles away from New York, with no relation to Killa himself. None of it was surprising, though. The Diplomats were our Wu-Tang Clan, and since their emergence, their impact has endured.

CamíRonís first wave of music didnít affect us in the same way. I mean, it was cool. I remember watching 'Horse & Carriage' on the BET Top 20 countdown. My cousin had a 'Thatís Me' CD single. But it was a couple of years later when 'Oh Boy' hit that the movement truly began. Jay Z, Nas, and Eminem were still everything to us, but there was a desire to latch onto something new. Itís the same reason we recreated Clipseís ďGrindinĒ beat on lunch tables and classroom desks for at least an entire year. ďOh BoyĒ had that incredible Just Blaze beat and verses that incorporated the vocal sample and made it a pop hit, but they were selling more than a song.

Sportswear as fashion was at its peak and, in the 'Oh Boy' video, Dipset was draped in Mitchell & Ness gear that you couldnít get at Foot Locker. Cam was speeding through the hood in a Lamborghini, and in the Midwest a hood like Harlem seemed lightyears away and so advanced. The affiliation with Roc-A-Fella was huge. Plus, Cam had a crew that held their own with rhymes and personality. It all happened at a time when a lot of us were just starting to care about those aspects of the music. I never even realized that the kids in Jay Zís 'Hard Knock Life' video were sitting on a Rolls-Royce or that Puffy was driving a BMW backwards in Biggieís 'Hypnotize' video. I knew they were nice cars, but I was just a kid. By the time I started about noticing the details and perceived affluence, CamíRon was asserting his dominance over the rap game.

The streak that began with 'Oh Boy' continued for quite some time. 'Hey Ma' was a jam, and the video gave us another inside look at Dipsetís lifestyle. Class clowns were trying to emulate Freekey Zekeyís reactions to the busted girls in the video. Beyond clothes, and cars, and rap deals, the way CamíRon and his crew carried themselves made them the coolest. When Diplomatic Immunity dropped the next year, it was on sale at a lot of Best Buys for like $8, which, at the time, seemed like such a steal for a double disc. It was the type of album that stayed in your skip-proof Walkman for months. CamíRon was putting his crew on and they proved to be just as awesome. Heatmakerz beats were a more aggressive, grating version of the sped-up soul sound Kanye West brought to Blueprint, and they soundtracked the transition.

'Dipset Anthem' was such an effective primer that Juelz Santanaís debut, From Me to U, arrived just a few months later to much fanfare. Even though it didnít sell well, it meant a lot to us. The effect of a video like 'Santanaís Town' canít be measured by Soundscan. CamíRon counting money in a pink du-rag next to an elderly white man isnít about Billboard. While Jay Z certainly sent kids into a frenzy with The Black Album and had people trading throwbacks for button ups around the same time, CamíRon was the nucleus of a projection of a different type of style, and it was on a level that we havenít seen since. There was the entrepreneurial aspect of their empire, exemplified by the short-lived Sizzurp liqueur. Slang like ďno homo,Ē however offensive, proliferated mainstream culture. Camís breakthrough turn as an actor in Paid in Full broadened his horizons, as well. Outside of more traditional mediums and outlets, a constant stream of mixtapes and Smack DVDs kept us immersed in their world.

That first wave of Dipset mania laid the foundation laid for more to come. Purple Haze was a triumph of an album. CamíRon was briefly vice president of Roc-A-Fella and the drama it ignited brought his stock to new heights. He launched a formal feud with Jay Z and the list of reasons for it at the beginning of ďYou Gotta Love ItĒ is legendary. The reign continued with Killa Season. Whether it was because of perennial oral sex anthem 'Suck It or Not' or the albumís hilarious, low-budget accompanying film. He beefed with 50 Cent next, and from their on-air dispute on Hot 97 to the ďitís gonna be a hot summer video,Ē CamíRon was still producing moments that shook us. He made scenes that you discussed at length with your friends. He always maintained an underdog status, yet his moves resonated with the weight of those with far more resources. This is a guy who got shot and drove himself to the hospital in a blue Lamborghini. Heís a legend.

With so many relevant moments outside of music under CamíRonís belt, one can almost forget how central the records themselves are to his legacy. CamíRon consistently released music and dropped lyrics that captivated us. He had the knack for multisyllabic rhyme schemes of more celebrated wordsmiths, but often included a self-aware playfulness for added charm. Lines like ďI get computers ĎputinĒ or ďnext stop, start trouble inside the Waffle HouseĒ are still referenced. Heís a permanent part of our musical fabric. Thatís why CamíRon is still viewed as a nation treasure. Heís done too much for the culture to ever be forgotten, and he still has our attention. We saw it yesterday when he dropped a new song with A-Trak, but notice that the cover art features Cam in one of his most famous outfits from over a decade ago. He doesnít ever have to reinvent himself. What CamíRonís already accomplished makes him an icon forever.

http://www.illroots.com/read/camron-is-the-rap-god
spammy sosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:25 PM   #2
sickdog
PRODIGAL SUN

sickdog iron monkeysickdog iron monkeysickdog iron monkeysickdog iron monkey

lol
Old 09-18-2014, 03:55 PM   #3
THUGNIFICENT
Eff Grandad

THUGNIFICENT five deadly venomsTHUGNIFICENT five deadly venomsTHUGNIFICENT five deadly venomsTHUGNIFICENT five deadly venomsTHUGNIFICENT five deadly venomsTHUGNIFICENT five deadly venomsTHUGNIFICENT five deadly venomsTHUGNIFICENT five deadly venomsTHUGNIFICENT five deadly venoms

I once rocked a pink tee. Dark times.
THUGNIFICENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 04:10 PM   #4
New-Yorks-Finest
The Chamber of Knowledge

New-Yorks-Finest crouching tigerNew-Yorks-Finest crouching tiger

daffy low key posting on wu forums and KTT
Old 09-18-2014, 04:18 PM   #5
spammy sosa
Major League Bleached Asshole

spammy sosa prodigal sonspammy sosa prodigal sonspammy sosa prodigal sonspammy sosa prodigal sonspammy sosa prodigal sonspammy sosa prodigal son

Quote:
Originally Posted by New-Yorks-Finest View Post
daffy low key posting on wu forums and KTT
you post on ktt too?
spammy sosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:27 PM   #6
EAGLE EYE
Super Moderator

EAGLE EYE has disabled reputation

Wrong

PUFFY = rap god

This dude was in all white flying through the sky with doves in his videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JASPER View Post
You'll cowards dont even drink cock liquor.
EAGLE EYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:32 PM   #7
5th state
N.I.

5th state Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)5th state Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)5th state Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)5th state Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)5th state Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)5th state Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)5th state Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)5th state Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)5th state Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)5th state Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)5th state Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAGLE EYE View Post

Wrong

PUFFY = rap god

This dude was in all white flying through the sky with doves in his videos.

5th state is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:22 PM   #8
CharlesJones
National Director of Toe-sucking & Janitorial Affairs

CharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of fury

Camron is a faggot for wearing pink clothes hahahahahahahahahahaha. I only like his S.D.E. and Come Home With Me albums. The rest of his albums suck. His Fuck You song on his first album is very funny and i liked his character in Paid In Full movie. I see he has a movie that he did with Omar Gooding, Ving Rhames, Malinda Williams, KD Aubert that came out several months ago. I forgot the name of it but i saw it at Walmart and i was thinking about buying it. I'm glad somebody posted the movie on Youtube so i could watch it and save my money LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
The TV dinners I like is macaroni and cheese with fish and rice with chicken and broccoli. I also like Stouffer's microwaved spaghetti.
Quote:
I also like the food U-God talked about. He said he can cook spaghetti and fried chicken and i would like to taste it to see if he's a good cook. I like spaghetti and fried chicken.
Quote:
Eagle Eye, fuck you for saying I write like a kid. How do you explain that? I write better than your punk ass.
CharlesJones is offline   Reply With Quote