news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop

Old 07-02-2007, 07:03 AM   #1
WuTangMaster

WuTangMaster grasshopper
Post Hip Hop vs Rap

My first real exposure to hip hop was back around 90-92, can't remember exactly. The 1st rap song I remember hearing and liking for that matter was MC Breed, Ain't No Futre(I think)). I got a taste and from that moment on I was hooked. Growing up on the West Coast, I grew up listening to what was on the radio which was mostly Gangsta rap like Snoop, Dre,Ice Cube,Dj Quik etc etc.

One nite I was flipping stations and came across a hip hop show named, The World Famous Wake Up Show and this introduced to the real world of hip hop. It exposed to alot of east coast rap that was amazing, inclluding Wu, KRS 1, etc.
Sway and Tech always talked about hop hop being a lifestyle and that it was made of five elements, rap, break dancig, graffitti art, Dj'ing(scratching n mixing) and freestyle?(I always forget the last one)

I am always confused as to why music companies and record stores label rappers as Hip Hop and others ass rap and even worse R&B artists as Hip Hop?

What do y'all prefer? Since I see rap as part of Hip Hop, it should be called rap but Hip Hop does sound better
WuTangMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:20 AM   #2
cap
THE ILL ONE

cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via MSN to cap

hip hop is the culture
rap is the actual rhyming

cap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 07:28 AM   #3
Tetsuo
Hamburger Pimp

Tetsuo shaolin monk

I think originally the terms were both synonymous in reference to the music. Hip-Hop, on the other hand, describes the whole culture (graffiti, b-boying, DJing, etc.) As time went on and the content of Hip-Hop began to change, an obvious fissure began to form between Hip-Hop with more violent content and Hip-Hop which was residual of the Rakim/EPMD/Conscious-era.

This is just an educated guess, but I imagine the term "Rap" gained its negative connotation from the fact that the West Coast Hip-Hop, which popularized most of the negative trends now associated with Hip-Hop as a whole, was referred to as "Gangsta Rap". As "Rap" gained a foothold in the mainstream, some fans who preferred the older or alternative forms of Hip-Hop gave it the name "Hip-Hop" retroactively, as to distinguish it from the mainstream, and to preserve the original spirit and the other associated "elements".

I don't hear this argument very often, but I find Backpackers and Old School Heads naturally refer to the genre as Hip-Hop, and Mainstream/Radio-type people and haters of the genre alike refer to it as "Rap". As for the way it's marketed, I'm not sure big business puts much stock into either name exclusively. They play the same videos on MTV Hip-Hop and Rapcity, so I think they're pretty interchangeable.

Free Killa Sin!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=EedXtPhPhlI

Last edited by Tetsuo; 07-02-2007 at 07:31 AM.
Tetsuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:10 AM   #4
Wu-Tality
Metal Gear

Wu-Tality grasshopper

I can't stand the term Urban..
Old 07-02-2007, 09:53 AM   #5
The Hound
Fuck the King

The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wu-Tality View Post
I can't stand the term Urban..
i was about to say the same thing, i fucking hate it being referred to as urban
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTLACED View Post
I say nigga and i'm white
The Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:53 AM   #6
Sean
Wu Vatican

Sean fist of furySean fist of furySean fist of furySean fist of furySean fist of furySean fist of furySean fist of furySean fist of furySean fist of furySean fist of furySean fist of fury

^^ Co-sign. What the hell does it even mean? I hate to say it, but artists get labelled urban just because they are black.

Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:58 AM   #7
The Hound
Fuck the King

The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)The Hound Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

i used to work in a big chain of record stores here in aus called sanity, we used to put hip hop and r&b together and name it urban, i think thats why they do it, these days its rap/hip-hop and r&b is seperate ... its like black pop stars get labelled r&b, the shit isnt fucking rythym n blues its fucking pop, that annoys me too
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTLACED View Post
I say nigga and i'm white
The Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:11 AM   #8
cap
THE ILL ONE

cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)cap Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via MSN to cap

haha that reminds me of a chain of stores over here,who put all the r&b,hip hop and stuff in one category.....BLACK MUSIC.

cap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:41 AM   #9
Meta4
Poet Of The Streets

Meta4 prodigal sonMeta4 prodigal sonMeta4 prodigal sonMeta4 prodigal sonMeta4 prodigal sonMeta4 prodigal son

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap View Post
hip hop is the culture
exactly. Rhythm And Poetry, hence RAP.
Meta4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:20 PM   #10
WIA

WIA grasshopper

Quote:
haha that reminds me of a chain of stores over here,who put all the r&b,hip hop and stuff in one category.....BLACK MUSIC.
lol....WOW
WIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:22 PM   #11
2L8Lit da croatianMC
PRODIGAL SUN

2L8Lit da croatianMC crouching tiger2L8Lit da croatianMC crouching tiger
Send a message via MSN to 2L8Lit da croatianMC

Quote:
hip hop is the culture
Yeah, and it cant be campared...
its like you campare Wu Tang music in general with wu fam, with Wu Tang Family...
Old 07-02-2007, 03:37 PM   #12
The_SZAs
politicking

The_SZAs grasshopper
Send a message via MSN to The_SZAs

reminds me of that Chris Rock stand up act
"I LOOOOOOOOOVE black people! but i hate them niggas"
Old 07-02-2007, 04:04 PM   #13
WuTangMaster

WuTangMaster grasshopper

Never thought about rap standing for rhythm and pietry
then it should be R&P!

LOL, Black music!1 LMAO

Now with this Reggaeton crap it is classified as Urbana which translates to Urban
IMO
Urban is a key word of describing everything that is deals with poverty and anything NONWHITE. White ppl are Suburbanites right?
WuTangMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:43 PM   #14
Meta4
Poet Of The Streets

Meta4 prodigal sonMeta4 prodigal sonMeta4 prodigal sonMeta4 prodigal sonMeta4 prodigal sonMeta4 prodigal son

Urban refers to the city and Suburban refers to anyother area ie the country. It's not a racial thing at all.
Meta4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 04:45 PM   #15
WARPATH
Dinosaur Hunter

WARPATH Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)WARPATH Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)WARPATH Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)WARPATH Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)WARPATH Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)WARPATH Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)WARPATH Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)WARPATH Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)WARPATH Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)WARPATH Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)WARPATH Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via Skype™ to WARPATH

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuTangMaster View Post
My first real exposure to hip hop was back around 90-92, can't remember exactly. The 1st rap song I remember hearing and liking for that matter was MC Breed, Ain't No Futre(I think)). I got a taste and from that moment on I was hooked. Growing up on the West Coast, I grew up listening to what was on the radio which was mostly Gangsta rap like Snoop, Dre,Ice Cube,Dj Quik etc etc.

One nite I was flipping stations and came across a hip hop show named, The World Famous Wake Up Show and this introduced to the real world of hip hop. It exposed to alot of east coast rap that was amazing, inclluding Wu, KRS 1, etc.
Sway and Tech always talked about hop hop being a lifestyle and that it was made of five elements, rap, break dancig, graffitti art, Dj'ing(scratching n mixing) and freestyle?(I always forget the last one)

I am always confused as to why music companies and record stores label rappers as Hip Hop and others ass rap and even worse R&B artists as Hip Hop?

What do y'all prefer? Since I see rap as part of Hip Hop, it should be called rap but Hip Hop does sound better
What the fuck is this retarded shit?