news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop > Album reviews

View Poll Results: how do you rate this LP
5 - Masterpiece 6 14.63%
4 - Superior 19 46.34%
3 - Good 9 21.95%
2 - Average 4 9.76%
1 - Wack! 3 7.32%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-07-2007, 08:00 AM   #31
2L8Lit da croatianMC
PRODIGAL SUN

2L8Lit da croatianMC crouching tiger2L8Lit da croatianMC crouching tiger
Send a message via MSN to 2L8Lit da croatianMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
LOL@you The beats on Illmatic are the shit except Memory Lane song.
nah memory lane is very very good...
Old 08-14-2007, 05:21 AM   #32
Masta Chilla
Fist of Justice

Masta Chilla crouching tigerMasta Chilla crouching tiger
Send a message via ICQ to Masta Chilla Send a message via MSN to Masta Chilla

lol...
this thread is about hip hop is dead and not about all other albums from nas...

i'd give it a 7.5/10

money over bullshit and not going back are my favs until now but that can change...
Masta Chilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:59 AM   #33
Durag
RaizaBlade

Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Durag Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim T View Post
Street's Disciple is dope beat-wise, listen to it!
I thought everything about that album sucked. I acutually hate it i think its his worst album

AOTY
Durag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 05:15 PM   #34
CharlesJones
Veteran Member

CharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of fury

Nastradamus is his worst album but i heard Street's Disciple sucked. My brother has that album and he said he didn't like it. I haven't heard it so i can't comment on it but Thief's Theme song is tight. I stopped liking Nas a long time ago so i won't be checking out the album. His beats are wack now and most of his songs are mainstream.
CharlesJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:49 AM   #35
Bucellito 136
Original Nastukao

Bucellito 136 shaolin monk
Send a message via MSN to Bucellito 136

i just love this album
nas shows that hip hop ain't dead even if lots of mo'fuckaz are spittin garbage lyrics on poor beats
there's a bunch of classic artist which is still kickin it
Old 11-07-2007, 11:47 AM   #36
J.T.S.
God Of WAr

J.T.S. Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J.T.S. Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J.T.S. Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J.T.S. Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J.T.S. Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J.T.S. Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J.T.S. Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J.T.S. Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J.T.S. Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J.T.S. Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J.T.S. Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

This album i rate on the same level as "Nastradamus" a big disappointment!

My evidence, my own testament, written on wood
Twelve tribes layin at the head of corners in hoods
Hell razah
J.T.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 06:40 AM   #37
bad boy T
MC Definition

bad boy T shaolin monk

Illmatics not as good as people make out
bad boy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 01:02 PM   #38
Jeff-The-Chef
S.W.A

Jeff-The-Chef grasshopper
Send a message via MSN to Jeff-The-Chef

this albums alright 4/5 but for some reason everytime i try to play it on my radio in my room it never wants to take it
Jeff-The-Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 03:58 PM   #39
DR. NICK RIVIERA
Hello, everybody!

DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad boy T View Post
Illmatics not as good as people make out
get ya die on
Old 12-06-2007, 06:23 PM   #40
claaa7
Killer Bob

claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Default Nas - Hip-Hop Is Dead

01 - Money Over Bullshit (5/5)
02 - You Can't Kill Me (3.5/5)
03 - Carry On Tradition (4/5)
04 - Where Are They Now (5/5)
05 - Hip-Hop Is Dead (5/5)
06 - Who Killed It? (4/5)
07 - Black Republicans (5/5)
08 - Not Going Back (3.5/5)
09 - Still Dreaming (5/5)
10 - Hold Down The Block (3.5/5)
11 - Blunt Ashes (4.5/5)
12 - Let There Be Light (5/5)
13 - Play on Playa (3/5)
14 - Can't Forget About You (5/5)
15 - Hustlers (4/5)
16 - Hope (5/5)

Another great album from The Nasty although the high quality ain't consistent the whole way through. His flow is as good as always but his wordplay seems a bit lazy on parts of the album, the production is generally better and more consistent than his previous full-lenght.
Overall; 4.5/5

Last edited by claaa7; 12-11-2007 at 03:51 PM.
claaa7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 06:55 PM   #41
GhettoGnom
Veteran Member

GhettoGnom Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)GhettoGnom Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)GhettoGnom Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)GhettoGnom Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)GhettoGnom Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)GhettoGnom Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)GhettoGnom Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)GhettoGnom Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)GhettoGnom Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)GhettoGnom Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)GhettoGnom Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Good. Some bad beats and wack features. Some great tracks. Overall an unstable, but good album.
-Archetype

GhettoGnom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 09:14 AM   #42
DR. NICK RIVIERA
Hello, everybody!

DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

let there be light is incredible....just wow
Old 12-08-2007, 04:14 PM   #43
BornPower
SiferBorn

BornPower five deadly venomsBornPower five deadly venomsBornPower five deadly venomsBornPower five deadly venomsBornPower five deadly venomsBornPower five deadly venomsBornPower five deadly venomsBornPower five deadly venomsBornPower five deadly venomsBornPower five deadly venoms

the openeing song (dope as ever from the QB) set the tone for an album that might have been a little over-hyped, though the concept for Who Killed It was ill as hell.
fleeing mobs turn to see the holocaust and become kings and queens of salt
screaming shots, police and chalk,
wingless fallen demons walking among us as people...

-.5Kut
BornPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 10:39 PM   #44
PoisonousDarT36
Veteran Member

PoisonousDarT36 shaolin monk

pretty average album, only above street's disciple and nastradamus on nas's catalog imo. Money over Bullshit is a weak opener, with a bunch of generic murder raps, and the line "put a barrel in Capo mouth, till his scalp come out, you a kid you don't live what you rap about"). ok Nas, and you do? nobody wants Jim Jones to go around killing people in real life anyways. You Can't Kill Me is a little better, because it is a story, but it is a weak one at that. Carry on Tradition, despite one of Scott Storch's worst beats, is a great track for any rap fan upset with what rap has become, as is Hip Hop Is Dead ("everybody sounds the same, commercialized the game"). so true. Where Are They Now is very unnecessary, and the beat is wack. Nas talks about people who have disappeared from the rap game, but it is filler. Who Killed It is great lyrically, but the beat and Nas's very weird delivery on this track almost ruin the song. Not Going Back is about as good as You Can't Kill Me, which isn't too good. It's filler. Black Republican is by far the best song, which features Jay-Z reminiscing on his past with Dame Dash, using a lot of multis and Nas destroys it as well. Still Dreaming (featuring and produced by Kanye West) has some solid verses and is another highlight. Nas's second verse is a nice story. Hold Down the Block has a lot of bass and is a nice track overall, just what you'd expect a good Nas track to sound like. Blunt Ashes (produced by Chris Webber) has a dark, weird beat, and Nas's flow is unusual, and not effective imo. This one is a hate it or love it track. Let There Be Light (produced by Kanye) is another highlight, and it has a lot of soul, featuring a singer who sounds like Anthony Hamilton. Play on Playa, ft. Snoop Dogg, is average, with a lot of wack lines. Can't Forget About You isn't too good (Chrisette Michelle's hook is too long, beat is average, lyrics are forgettable) and Hustlers is solid, featuring production by Dr. Dre and a nice verse from The Game. The Game outraps Nas here, as he tells a story of trying to decide between Illmatic and The Chronic in a record store, while Nas comes with some cliche murder raps. Hope is acapella for some reason, so I never listen to it.

3/5...too many average tracks, and not enough replayability hurt Hip Hop Is Dead.

Last edited by PoisonousDarT36; 12-12-2007 at 10:44 PM.
PoisonousDarT36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 12:47 PM   #45
DR. NICK RIVIERA
Hello, everybody!