news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Know The Ledge

Old 08-14-2007, 11:05 PM   #16
V4D3R
Singularity Instigator

V4D3R five deadly venomsV4D3R five deadly venomsV4D3R five deadly venomsV4D3R five deadly venomsV4D3R five deadly venomsV4D3R five deadly venomsV4D3R five deadly venomsV4D3R five deadly venomsV4D3R five deadly venoms

^^The Wumate.

V4D3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:32 AM   #17
SubtleEnergies
Veteran Member

SubtleEnergies grasshopper

Yay, I caused this thread!!!!!!!!

I practice Wu Dang Xin Yi Liuhe.

It is a very practical demanding art. No high kicks or anything...alot of elbows and knees. We don't spar because sparring causes a conflict of interest- how can you practice fighting which is to hurt an opponent, when you primary interest is not to seriously hurt the person? Also, we believe forming a habit of stopping short or holding back isn't good.

We do alot of body conditioning and it is quite incredible what a body can take when conditioned....this also is aparently good to build the agression (as is hurts).

A xing yi strike should kill or it hasn;t been trained right. Therefore we tend more toward very pentrating, unstoppable strikes....rather than many fast strikes.

Personally, I don't think there are many arts left that are totally practical. Most have fallen victim to looking good, the impatience of the practiitioners etc. Xin Yi is beautiful in that it hasn't. It is so plain and boring to the extent it turns most people off it.

There is a Chinese saying about Xing Yi:

"Ugly to look at, but good to use"

Obviously Wu Tang influenced my doing it. Basically I got sick of Karate and Shaolin etc coz I didn't feel they would take me to the level I wanted. I wanted to be able to take down people bigger than me, people with weapons, multiple opponents with some level of confidence.

I have never seen power like GOOD xin yi. (I say that with the warning there is alot of bad xin yi around). It is an internal art which means it is subtle and uses the ENTIRE body's weight when striking...doing this naturally isn't easy.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:00 AM   #18
blackwisdom
Walk Like a Warrior

blackwisdom crouching tigerblackwisdom crouching tiger
Send a message via Yahoo to blackwisdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman View Post

Do you have a Katana? I only have Nunchunks.
I have several nunchucks. I got them a long time ago. I don't have a katana cause I don't have $10,000 to spend on one right now. I was going to get one made for me when I was in Okinawa but never got around to it. I'ma get the Wing Chun weapons and master them first before I go and mess with another art's right now.

"Read everything, listen to everybody, don't trust anything unless you can prove it with your research." - William "Bill" Cooper
Myspace Libradio Prison Radio/Mumia Fourty-Two/Seven
blackwisdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:09 AM   #19
blackwisdom
Walk Like a Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubtleEnergies View Post
Obviously Wu Tang influenced my doing it. Basically I got sick of Karate and Shaolin etc coz I didn't feel they would take me to the level I wanted. I wanted to be able to take down people bigger than me, people with weapons, multiple opponents with some level of confidence.

I have never seen power like GOOD xin yi. (I say that with the warning there is alot of bad xin yi around). It is an internal art which means it is subtle and uses the ENTIRE body's weight when striking...doing this naturally isn't easy.
Yeah. Wing Chun was designed by two women. It was to defeat Shaolin. Being women they couldn't afford to block those powerful blows, so they developed a very potent art that anyone could use. We are told to not think as men when we use this art cause we are to be as silk and steel. It's almost like 'Fist of the White Lotus." The Navy Seals and Swat train in it in this area. My teacher's class mates trained them.

"Read everything, listen to everybody, don't trust anything unless you can prove it with your research." - William "Bill" Cooper
Old 08-15-2007, 11:13 AM   #20
SWAMP WATER
Veteran Member

SWAMP WATER shaolin monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwisdom View Post
I recommend that you just take Wing Chun (and not Jeet Kune Do as an additional). Bruce became the fighter that he was due to it. Almost all of the basic principles come from Wing Chun. He just added other styles flavor to it.
I learned techniques from the Marine Corps for that. My man'll end up with a broken arm. Mix my Wing Chun with that and he's dead.

I know several Brothers that know Capoeria. I would love to practice it. I have always been interested in Ninjitsu. When I'm ready I know that a teacher will appear.

I see we have some dangerous people here in Wu-Tang Corps. Thanks for sharing.
What do you think iz better?Going to a martial arts school that teaches more than one style?Or a school that has only one style to focus on,like WING CHUN?
SWAMP WATER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:14 PM   #21
blackwisdom
Walk Like a Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAMP WATER View Post
What do you think iz better?Going to a martial arts school that teaches more than one style?Or a school that has only one style to focus on,like WING CHUN?
It depends on the SiFu. My teacher is disciplined in 7 Martial Arts and holds senior rank (if not top rank) in all of them. There's a Master in Va Beach that teaches animal styles and Wing Chun. He's skilled and capable so his school would be ideal. Check out the school and the SiFu's credentials first. One who's highly skilled is one art is just as good as one who's highly skilled in several.

There's a proverb that says, "I respect not a man that practices a thousand techniques one time but I respect a man that practices one technique a thousand times."

Whatever you're ready and willing to discipline yourself in it'll reveal itself to you. One thing though. If you want to practice Wing Chun be prepared to deal with what it takes to become skilled in it.

Take care

Old 08-15-2007, 12:19 PM   #22
Sky13
Sword SwingahΩ

Sky13 grasshopper

I went on muay thai

Sky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:40 AM   #23
SubtleEnergies
Veteran Member

SubtleEnergies grasshopper

Xin yi is more sublte than wing chun even...I think it will be another ten years before it feels half right lol.

Everything has to move in unity....I mean everything....knees, hips, shoulders, elbows, wrtists al together....

I am surprised with my nature this is the art I chose lol.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:31 AM   #24
blackwisdom
Walk Like a Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubtleEnergies View Post
Xin yi is more sublte than wing chun even...I think it will be another ten years before it feels half right lol.

Everything has to move in unity....I mean everything....knees, hips, shoulders, elbows, wrtists al together....

I am surprised with my nature this is the art I chose lol.
I've only read about your art on the internet and seen it on YouTube, so I'm ignorant IRT your style. I know that Masters never reveal the true art on camera, just a pinch on it. I know that we're about immediacy, taking away and regaining the center line, moving on a 45, and sticking to our opponent. You'll get that from books, so I can share that. Xin yi looks pretty interesting. Thanks for the insight.

Old 08-16-2007, 08:40 AM   #25
Os3y3ris
Veteran Member

Os3y3ris shaolin monk

Quote:
What do you think iz better?Going to a martial arts school that teaches more than one style?
Learn two styles initially. Learn a striking style and a grappling style. Follow that up with filling in the gaps in those styles. For example, should you know classic muay thai and brazilian jiujitsu, add boxing so you can punch competently and wrestling or judo to improve your takedowns. Its about being complete and well rounded. You can specialize, but if you can't do a certain style of fighting at all, you will most certainly lose.

Madness! Combustion! Liberty and the end of all law! The invisible international! The toast is anarchy!
Os3y3ris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 08:47 AM   #26
blackwisdom
Walk Like a Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Os3y3ris View Post
Learn two styles initially. Learn a striking style and a grappling style. Follow that up with filling in the gaps in those styles. For example, should you know classic muay thai and brazilian jiujitsu, add boxing so you can punch competently and wrestling or judo to improve your takedowns. Its about being complete and well rounded. You can specialize, but if you can't do a certain style of fighting at all, you will most certainly lose.
Great reply! I love ground fighting.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:20 PM   #27
SWAMP WATER
Veteran Member

SWAMP WATER shaolin monk

Quote:
It depends on the SiFu. My teacher is disciplined in 7 Martial Arts and holds senior rank (if not top rank) in all of them. There's a Master in Va Beach that teaches animal styles and Wing Chun. He's skilled and capable so his school would be ideal. Check out the school and the SiFu's credentials first. One who's highly skilled is one art is just as good as one who's highly skilled in several.

There's a proverb that says, "I respect not a man that practices a thousand techniques one time but I respect a man that practices one technique a thousand times."

Whatever you're ready and willing to discipline yourself in it'll reveal itself to you. One thing though. If you want to practice Wing Chun be prepared to deal with what it takes to become skilled in it.

Take care
I live in Chicago.Whats the best way to find teachers with the best credentials,and what should I look out for?
SWAMP WATER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:22 PM   #28
WARPATH
Dinosaur Hunter

WARPATH Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)WARPATH Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)WARPATH Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)WARPATH Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)WARPATH Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)WARPATH Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)WARPATH Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)WARPATH Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)WARPATH Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)WARPATH Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)WARPATH Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via Skype™ to WARPATH

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAMP WATER View Post
I live in Chicago.Whats the best way to find teachers with the best credentials,and what should I look out for?
Look out for sensi's that want to plug your booty hole.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:30 PM   #29
IrOnMaN
I understand

IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Great reply! I love ground fighting.
I suck in grappling.
IrOnMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:49 PM   #30
brown_dogg
the brown guy

brown_dogg grasshopper
Send a message via MSN to brown_dogg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Os3y3ris View Post
That's exactly what I'm doing. I think muay thai is a great martial art for anyone. It's excellent conditioning, and it's real practical shit. But i'm also doing boxing to strengthen my punches. and i'm doing savate cuz muay thai really lacks kicking (except knees). Savate teaches me to be more light on my feet and to throw some quick but painfully accurate kicks. we aim for things like kidneys, kneecaps, calfs, and other places that'd be damaging.

I haven't done any grappling or jiujitsu though. Jun Fan teaches me the self-defence i need, but i'd like to do jiujitsu. The guys that know their shit are amazing.