news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop > Album reviews

View Poll Results: independent as FUCCCC
5: Masterpiece 5 83.33%
4: Banger 1 16.67%
3: Good 0 0%
2: Boring 0 0%
1: Waccadoccious 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-30-2007, 09:38 AM   #1
Charles Jones fan

002 drunken masta002 drunken masta
Default Company Flow - Funcrusher Plus

This shit right here, is a true classic. The real headz know what I'm talking about. Here's the allmusic review:

Featuring material recorded over 1994-1997, Company Flow's official full-length debut, Funcrusher Plus, had a galvanizing effect on the underground hip-hop scene. It was one of the artiest, most abstract hip-hop albums ever recorded, paving the way for a new brand of avant-garde experimentalism that blatantly defied commercial considerations. Musically and lyrically, Funcrusher Plus is abrasive and confrontational, informed by left-wing politics and the punked-out battle cry "independent as f*ck." It's intentionally not funky and certainly not danceable; the beats are tense and jagged, and often spaced far apart to leave room for the MCs' complex rhymes. Bigg Jus and El-P's lyrical technique is so good it's sometimes nearly impenetrable, assaulting the listener with dense barrages of words that take a few listens to decipher. Even if this is all highly off-kilter, it's also a conscious return to hip-hop on its most basic, beats-and-rhymes level; hooks or jazz and funk samples aren't even considerations here. The production is spacy and atmospheric, often employing weird ambient noises and futuristic synths that clash with the defiantly low-budget production values. It's also quite minimalist, particularly on tracks like "Vital Nerve," which is basically just a three-note synth line over a beat, and the classic Indelible MC's single "The Fire in Which You Burn," where Co-Flow trades rhymes with the Juggaknots over a skittering beat and sitar drone. Other tracks have sci-fi and conspiracy theory undertones; some are set in an Orwellian dystopia, while some pointedly satirize corporate and capitalist greed. Yet there's also some straightforward realism, as on "Last Good Sleep," a frightening domestic abuse drama. Funcrusher Plus demands intense concentration, but also rewards it, and its advancement of hip-hop as an art form is still being felt. It's difficult, challenging music, to be sure, and it's equally far ahead of its time.

here's some shit off the album

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mzfCWB7tNbw

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xcyf6SjZGmY

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FIw4infI2xQ

p.e.a.c.e.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
Don't be complaining to me when your bitch plays your ass and takes your money.

002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 09:42 AM   #2
venex
aka PROFIT

venex drunken mastavenex drunken masta
Send a message via MSN to venex

one of the greatest underground albums ever...

this is some original hiphop right here !!

bad touch example is my favorite song of this album

peace!
En garde, I'll let you try my wu-tang style...
venex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 05:42 PM   #3
TAURO
El Don of this shit

TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

I have this but I haven't played it in years.....it's too weird.

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
Method Man
TAURO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 06:10 PM   #4
CommSense

CommSense grasshopper

i found this at fye in the used section for 4.99

besat 5 bucks i've ever spent.
CommSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:45 PM   #5
Charles Jones fan

002 drunken masta002 drunken masta

^^word

man, for real, that joint with Breezy Brewin is absolutely BANANAS!!!! all of them kill it, Breezy, EL-P, Bigg Jus.....

Krazy Kings is on some other shit too. I'm tryin to get Bigg Jus' solo shit and that new EL p right now..
I haven't listened to this shit for a few years, only to rediscover it now.
the same thing happened with Quasimoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesJones View Post
Don't be complaining to me when your bitch plays your ass and takes your money.

002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 07:46 AM   #6
claaa7
Killer Bob

claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAURO View Post
I have this but I haven't played it in years.....it's too weird.
co-sign.. it's good but to much experimental, it WILL give you a headache. check out Mr. Len's solo debut album, now that's a dope fucking LP.
claaa7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:16 AM   #7
J-DON
Veteran Member

J-DON iron monkeyJ-DON iron monkeyJ-DON iron monkeyJ-DON iron monkeyJ-DON iron monkey

claaa i think youre thinking of fantastic damage.

vital nerve is my shiiiit and fuckin... the one thats like "its a shame when these emcees fuck with meee"

Last edited by J-DON; 01-04-2008 at 01:22 AM.
J-DON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 01:50 AM   #8
MAYOR QUIMBY
Veteran Member

MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

I got this album years ago.

Sick ass beats, whack ass raps.
MAYOR QUIMBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 08:37 PM   #9
RynMur
LVsMostBlunted

RynMur iron monkeyRynMur iron monkeyRynMur iron monkey

^these rhymes are insane.

this is an album that definitely needs to grow on you. i didn't think too much of it the first time i heard it; now i consider it a classic. i like how the beats make it to where you really have to listen to the lyrics.

top 5: collude, help wanted, population control, vital nerve, the fire in which you burn

grade: (5/5) classic
Old 06-08-2009, 09:39 PM   #10
YungSunny
Buddha Blessed

YungSunny drunken mastaYungSunny drunken masta

My first listen only lasted till the 6th track then I just got sick of it.
Next couple of listens I enjoyed it a lot, but classic? ehhhh, no.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:50 PM   #11
THUGNIFICENT
Eff Grandad

THUGNIFICENT five deadly venomsTHUGNIFICENT five deadly venomsTHUGNIFICENT five deadly venomsTHUGNIFICENT five deadly venomsTHUGNIFICENT five deadly venomsTHUGNIFICENT five deadly venomsTHUGNIFICENT five deadly venomsTHUGNIFICENT five deadly venomsTHUGNIFICENT five deadly venoms

classic to me. love this shit. i'm from new york, so that may have something to do with it, but i'm telling you there is only one better album to listen to while walking through the city on a cloudy autumn day, and that's Liquid Swords. i'd buy ten copies if they reunited and dropped another lp.
THUGNIFICENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 09:40 AM   #12
derek41
SLIMEY SAVAGE

derek41 crouching tigerderek41 crouching tiger

This is a classic in my book. So many quotable rhymes it's sick. Yes it is very experimental, but i find this in rotation at least oncee a year. Dope shit.
derek41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:51 PM   #13
Dr Sleepwalker
Sleepyheaded Nonsense

Dr Sleepwalker iron monkeyDr Sleepwalker iron monkeyDr Sleepwalker iron monkeyDr Sleepwalker iron monkey

Underground classic. everything about this c.d is so raw, when I first heard this album, it was like a bomb went off in my head. Amazing album.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:21 AM   #14
noel411
The ABBOTT

noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

I enjoy listening to this record. It is well good.
Old 06-10-2009, 03:26 AM   #15
ALCATRAZ
sleepless in basedworld

ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)ALCATRAZ Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

^nice sig pic
ALCATRAZ is offline   Reply With Quote