news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop

Old 05-31-2009, 06:01 AM   #1
Rollo
An act of God

Rollo drunken mastaRollo drunken mastaRollo drunken masta
Default Ice Cube.....

Someone who is blatantly in the public eye but is rarely mentioned when people talk greats...

His last two cds were some of the best mainstream rap albums I bought, I'm curious where does he rank with you among the best mcs?

I don't think he's skill can be denied, especially on the delivery end. That type of charisma is a God given gift...
Rollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:21 AM   #2
Afficial_Nastee
Non Ignorants

Afficial_Nastee prodigal sonAfficial_Nastee prodigal sonAfficial_Nastee prodigal sonAfficial_Nastee prodigal sonAfficial_Nastee prodigal sonAfficial_Nastee prodigal son

He's ok , but he wouldn't be in my top20.... End 80's and begin 90's was when he was in his prime....
Afficial_Nastee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:24 AM   #3
Rollo
An act of God

I think his early to mid 90s shit was his best. I look at his late 80s material and realize how simplistic it really was. It was influential no doubt, but it doesn't really stand the test of time to me.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:37 AM   #4
drippie k
este sitio es una mierda

drippie k shaolin masta killadrippie k shaolin masta killadrippie k shaolin masta killadrippie k shaolin masta killadrippie k shaolin masta killadrippie k shaolin masta killadrippie k shaolin masta killa

yeah his 90's stuff was the best but his last 2 albums were still pretty dope...i'd put him in my top 10-15 of all time

the cool thing is, he moved his last 2 albums independently and they sold pretty well, especially since he took some time off before laugh now, cry later
Old 05-31-2009, 06:39 AM   #5
Rollo
An act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by drippie k View Post
yeah his 90's stuff was the best but his last 2 albums were still pretty dope...i'd put him in my top 10-15 of all time

the cool thing is, he moved his last 2 albums independently and they sold pretty well, especially since he took some time off before laugh now, cry later
Yeah, something like 6 years, his last two really surprised me.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:37 AM   #6
noel411
The ABBOTT

noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)noel411 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

I stopped listening to him after Bootlegs and B-Sides. I picked up the War & Peace cd's for a few bucks once, but I don't think I ever really listened to them.

Most his early shit is great. He's not the most skilled mc ever, but he'd still rank up in the top 20 or better for his contribution to hip hop, influence, consistency, and overall appeal.

Death Certificate is one of the top 10 hip hop albums of all time, and quite possibly the best hip hop album ever bar the early Wu classics, imo.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:33 AM   #7
Rollo
An act of God

I think it's funny what we call skills.
I always think, if you gave the Chronic production to some really wordy cat like tonedeff the result would still be sonically nowhere near as good as the original.

What is skill? Rap is supposed to sound good, not just look nice on paper.
People love to talk about slug or Brother Ali, in the same breath they talk about how someone like say BIG was simple. It's all funny to me...

I never heard war and peace report.
Death certificate and predator indeed were dope shit.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:16 AM   #8
OB4CL2
Mask On Crooked

OB4CL2 crouching tigerOB4CL2 crouching tiger
Send a message via Yahoo to OB4CL2

He needs to make more songs like Wicked, Check Yourself, Steady Mobbin, It was a good Day, etc.
OB4CL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:18 AM   #9
RALPH WIGGUM
PRODIGAL SUN

RALPH WIGGUM shaolin masta killaRALPH WIGGUM shaolin masta killaRALPH WIGGUM shaolin masta killaRALPH WIGGUM shaolin masta killaRALPH WIGGUM shaolin masta killaRALPH WIGGUM shaolin masta killaRALPH WIGGUM shaolin masta killaRALPH WIGGUM shaolin masta killa

Thank god, the gangsta's back.

RALPH WIGGUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:28 AM   #10
DR. NICK RIVIERA
Hello, everybody!

DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)DR. NICK RIVIERA Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

^^^^^@ Rollo:surely we can all agree that what made Biggie special was the act - the voice, the flows, the charisma, and the delivery on some lines, that sounds just better cuz HE was the one who said them.

I imagine if Puffy rapped on the track Unbelievable instead of Biggie, it just wouldn't be so good. U'd listen to that shit once, but you wouldn't bop your head to it any other day afterwards...

We just can't measure rap. That shit would be impossible....we all have our rap heroes and our taste, and even the most loved rappers like Big, Big L, Pun and Pac have haters....and I know Eyedea, Tonedeff, OneBeLo and others like them will probably lyrically dominate the scene [with flows too], but it looks like every one of them lacks in something so that people just don't wanna acknowledge their greatness/'greatness'

I don't think when is the last time I heard some underground rapper is great. Maybe MF Doom a few years ago...
Old 05-31-2009, 09:42 AM   #11
Rollo
An act of God

Quote:
Originally Posted by wera View Post
and I know Eyedea, Tonedeff, OneBeLo and others like them will probably lyrically dominate the scene [with flows too], but it looks like every one of them lacks in something so that people just don't wanna acknowledge their greatness/'greatness'

I don't think when is the last time I heard some underground rapper is great. Maybe MF Doom a few years ago...

I hear it plenty.

As for lyrical domination, I don't consider eyedea lyrical.
In fact, I question what lyrical is, if lyrical is the classical definition of the word, word play and rhyme schemes haven't shit to do with being lyrical.

As for greatness, I think if you listen to eyedea, it's obvious he has none.

BIG wasn't the rapper we liked over night.
Rap ability vocally is a skill that has to be built as well. For that reason I don't think it accurate to rate skills based simply on word games and phonetic annunciation of syllables.

But yes, it is all opinion.
Old 05-31-2009, 10:10 AM   #12
Prolifical ENG
Semi Retired

Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Prolifical ENG Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Hes talked about a lot when people talk greats. Top 20 for me.

We don't need to talk about his early 90s shit. That WAP garbage is garbage but the last 2 albums are good....probably amongst the top ones in this later part of the decade.

Prolifical ENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 10:50 AM   #13
oDoUoSoKo
frieza saga

oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via AIM to oDoUoSoKo

its because he sucks.
oDoUoSoKo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:06 AM   #14
baritone
yeah nigga

baritone crouching tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by noel411 View Post
Death Certificate is one of the top 10 hip hop albums of all time, and quite possibly the best hip hop album ever bar the early Wu classics, imo.
co-sign

cube is in my top 10. i don't know any artists that can construct an album the way he did with his first 3
"Da Mysteries of Chessboxin', first of all the word "mystery" means "unknown", you know, and the game of chess is like life, so in reality there is no mysteries to chess, it's just to those who don't understand life"- The GZA
Quote:
"If I wanted to fly, nigga I'll find a way to fly, nigga"- U-God
baritone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 12:36 PM   #15
CharlesJones
Veteran Member

CharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of furyCharlesJones fist of fury

Noel411 it's a good thing you didn't listen to his War And Peace albums because if you did, you would've been mad hahahahahahahahahaha. Those albums are terrible and i didn't like his last 2 albums either. His earlier 90's albums are good. Lethal Injection album was kinda disappointing. I'd put Ice Cube in my top 10 favorite mc's.
CharlesJones is offline   Reply With Quote