news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop

Old 08-22-2005, 09:11 AM   #1
Sun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah
Found My Purpose

Sun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah crouching tigerSun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah crouching tiger
Default The Truth Behind The Source Ratings (As spoken by Phonte of Little Brother)

By now, everyone knows that something went down at The Source to cause Editor-In-Chief Joshua “Fahiym” Ratcliffe to step down from his short lived post at the mag. The fiasco in question was the rating of Little Brother’s album The Minstrel Show of which Fahiym stepped down after being told to knock the rating down from 4 ½ mics to 4.

In the days following, Phonte of Little Brother interviewed with hiphopsite.com and spoke of the events…

He first spoke of XXL…

I was told, by some of the writers when we had the listening session in New York, that our album was better than Common's album. So I'm thinking that if Common's album got a XXL, and cats is sayin that The Minstrel Show is better than that, then ours would be up there too.” He then continued, “Basically we was told by XXL that ‘Yo the album is dope but we don't want to give two classic ratings in a row.’ So either they are feeling like they already gave it to Com so they can't give it to us, or they are about to roll out the red carpet for Kanye.

And then of The Source…

The Source man... basically Fahiym felt that the album was dope and deserved a 4 and ½ and the writer who wrote the review and alot of the staff felt the same way. But Benzino and Dave Mays just didn't agree. From what Fahiym told me, it was mainly Benzino that acted crazy about it. So basically it was told to Fahiym that this is what we do, we sign your checks and if you don't like it then get out. Fahiym was like ‘Aiight well then I'm out!’

Phonte went on to speak on the music industry as a whole and gave a very insightful look on the state of hip-hop and the meaning behind The Minstrel Show

The title comes from the minstrel shows of the late 1800's/early 1900's where you had white performers in blackface singing and dancing- essentially making a mockery of black people… That's a pretty crazy parallel to now- you have niggas in the game who want to rap but in order to do so they feel that they have to talk about guns, or they have to talk about drugs, pimpin or whatever. That essentially is the new blackface.

Look for The Minstrel Show September 13th

real talk

"Reciting a biblical verse before I make your melon burst like that nigga Jules from Pulp Fiction...my salvation is salivation, and diction crucifixion" - Ras Kass

http://www.myspace.com/theblacksunn1 http://theblacksunn.blogspot.com

Sun Tzu, Tha Soul Controllah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 06:20 PM   #2
PDTantisocial
Straight Outta PHX

PDTantisocial shaolin monk
Default Re: The Truth Behind The Source Ratings (As spoken by Phonte of Little Brother)

Damn, damn, damn
In the world I see, you're stalking elk through the damp canyon forest around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty carpool lane of some abandoned superhighway.
PDTantisocial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 06:31 PM   #3
tical2000
Veteran Member

tical2000 iron monkeytical2000 iron monkeytical2000 iron monkey
Default Re: The Truth Behind The Source Ratings (As spoken by Phonte of Little Brother)

Rap in 2005 is a fuckin MINSTREL SHOW..........every cat that comes out today looks the same as the next dude, talks about the same shit (guns,drugs,crime), does the same video's (girls shakking there ass)

every rapper on TV is some ignorant dude like LIL JOHN who is crazy for booty, guns and drugs.

I am not saying there is not a place for GANGSTA RAP, but it seems like in 2005 there is no balance.........like what about some intelegent hip hop......its like the powers that be, want to keep hip hop stupid and shit....

Fuck the Source
tical2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 06:33 PM   #4
GhostfaceKillah199
Sun God

GhostfaceKillah199 grasshopper

that really sucks for little brother. atleast the world knows that they really deserved better ratings and the source and xxl are still shady mofos. phonte is right, them cats are definitely gonna give kanye the red carpet when he drops. peace

"Even if I bleed to death I can't die
Not even if I fell from ten stories high
Yo, I'ma rule the underground or get shot trying
No matter how many times I get hit with the hot iron
I'm not dyin'!" - Sticky Fingaz
GhostfaceKillah199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 06:39 PM   #5
GhostfaceKillah199
Sun God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tical2000
Rap in 2005 is a fuckin MINSTREL SHOW..........every cat that comes out today looks the same as the next dude, talks about the same shit (guns,drugs,crime), does the same video's (girls shakking there ass)

every rapper on TV is some ignorant dude like LIL JOHN who is crazy for booty, guns and drugs.

I am not saying there is not a place for GANGSTA RAP, but it seems like in 2005 there is no balance.........like what about some intelegent hip hop......its like the powers that be, want to keep hip hop stupid and shit....

Fuck the Source
I feel you bro. And it's a bad influence cause with only a few positive MC's in the mainstream right now(com and kanye... i still consider talib as underground) the youth thinks that being hard and livin illegal is the way to be instead of righteousness. If there was balance cats like Little Brother, Kweli, Dilated, etc. would actually be running ish, which they really should cuz they have a lot of talent. Marketing is ruining hip hop, enough said. peace

Old 08-22-2005, 06:45 PM   #6
tical2000
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostfaceKillah199
I feel you bro. And it's a bad influence cause with only a few positive MC's in the mainstream right now(com and kanye... i still consider talib as underground) the youth thinks that being hard and livin illegal is the way to be instead of righteousness. If there was balance cats like Little Brother, Kweli, Dilated, etc. would actually be running ish, which they really should cuz they have a lot of talent. Marketing is ruining hip hop, enough said. peace
ya dude, at least 10 years ago you could turn on the TV and see some balance in HIP HOP.......like gangsta cats like 2PAC, BIGGIE, etc would get play, but so would rappers like FUGEES, TRIBE CALLED QUEST, DE LA SOUL....

seems like you turn on the TV in 2005 and there is no balance

Today you turn on the TV and 90% of the shit is on some ignorant, materialistic, crime, booty shaking shit.

Mainstream Rap in 2005 is as stupid as it has ever been, like is there anything intellegent coming out?........like there is a war going on, but you would never know it? Its all about shakking booty and getting a nice pair of rims........back in the day cats like ICE CUBE, PUBLIC ENEMY, 2PAC, at least had something to say, and made people think about stuff

If you just watched BET and MTV's music programs in 2005 you would think BLACK people are some ignorant crime-obsessed, sex crazed fools......

Like there is a BLACK voice that does not want to talk about Pimpin'......but it is being pushed down by fuckin MAGAZINES like the SOURCE and record labels who want to keep the status quo
Old 08-22-2005, 06:56 PM   #7
GhostfaceKillah199
Sun God

^ Exactly my man. the game is stereotypin african americans so bad nowadays it's horrible. and even worse are these slutty female rappers makin' sisters look like hoes, it's really sad and it makes me sick. peace

Old 08-22-2005, 07:02 PM   #8
tical2000
Veteran Member

like you would be hard pressed to see an image of an intellegent Black man on MTV or BET's music programing.........there aint no KRS-ONE's, Q-Tip's, or CHUCK D's on TV anymore......just some ignorant ass dudes crazy for booty like LIL JOHN and YING YANG TWINS
Old 08-22-2005, 08:06 PM   #9
PDTantisocial
Straight Outta PHX

PDTantisocial shaolin monk

Shit, I just stick with Elemental, and tha net.
In the world I see, you're stalking elk through the damp canyon forest around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You'll wear leather clothes that will last you the rest of your life. You'll climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines that wrap the Sears Tower. And when you look down, you'll see tiny figures pounding corn, laying strips of venison on the empty carpool lane of some abandoned superhighway.
PDTantisocial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 01:14 AM   #10
Kennings
Thought Provoker

Kennings grasshopper
Send a message via AIM to Kennings

Yes Tical...I always felt like you should be understandin the times by listening to hiphop so not hearin anything bout bush and the war always amazed me...like back when you had public enemy and krs you could understand what black people, especially in the streets went through...you have no clue today...its just like we partyin when we really strugglin...its a shame the only songs in the mainstream that had any political thought were eminem's joint bout bush and jada w. "why"...and then in the BET awards ciara's "1,2 step" beat jada's joint for video of the year...shit today amazes me. and its a shame that many underground artists are too above that shit to even tackle the mainstream and the one's that do get held down...even by other "black" medias like our magazines and BET, even some of our people w. authority still keepin it fucked up and ridiculous. I can talk all day bout this but I know yall feel me.

peace
Kennings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 02:01 AM   #11
tical2000
Veteran Member

Ya dog, in 2005 there are a million social issues that could be discussed........War, Bush, poverty, struggle...........you turn on MTV and BET and every track is about girls shakking there booty...........like back in the day dudes like ICE CUBE, ICE-T, NWA, PUBLIC ENEMY, KRS ONE, TRIBE,etc would have something to say about BUSH and THE WAR THAT IS GOING ON.........like if you listened to hip hop on the radio or MTV......you would have no idea what is going on in the world, other than the fact people like booty..........all these so called "gangsta" rappers today and they are all scared to say something at all controverisial or political........can we get a so called gangsta rapper to say "Fuck Bush" or something???

Rap is pussy in 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueWisdom
Yes Tical...I always felt like you should be understandin the times by listening to hiphop so not hearin anything bout bush and the war always amazed me...like back when you had public enemy and krs you could understand what black people, especially in the streets went through...you have no clue today...its just like we partyin when we really strugglin...its a shame the only songs in the mainstream that had any political thought were eminem's joint bout bush and jada w. "why"...and then in the BET awards ciara's "1,2 step" beat jada's joint for video of the year...shit today amazes me. and its a shame that many underground artists are too above that shit to even tackle the mainstream and the one's that do get held down...even by other "black" medias like our magazines and BET, even some of our people w. authority still keepin it fucked up and ridiculous. I can talk all day bout this but I know yall feel me.

peace
Old 08-24-2005, 02:33 AM   #12
Ghost_Deini_
Banned!!!11

Ghost_Deini_ crouching tiger

im waiting for some rapper to come up in the game sounding all phony and fake and shit, and then right at his most popular point, show everyone some real lyrics and speak about some serious shit.. ha... thatll never happen, but itd be a good ass idea.
Old 08-24-2005, 03:43 AM   #13
maestro wooz
Veteran Member

maestro wooz Village Idiot

i heart little brother
maestro wooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 04:41 AM   #14
Jabba Jaw
I KILL PEOPLE

Jabba Jaw grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tical2000

Fuck the Source
^^^^
truth
you hit the nail on the fuckin head with that my friend
Jabba Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 05:35 AM   #15
THE K-MAN

THE K-MAN grasshopper
Send a message via AIM to THE K-MAN

yea

thats fukked up
THE K-MAN is offline   Reply With Quote