news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop > Album reviews

View Poll Results: How do you rate TOS?
Lame 11 61.11%
average 5 27.78%
good 2 11.11%
Very good 0 0%
Classic 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-29-2008, 04:40 AM   #1
sarr
ADEPT

sarr Village Idiot
Default G-Unit - Terminate On Site (T.O.S.)

i own alot of the classic albums in hiphop...and i honestly believe the first wave of G-Unit albums belong there, and agree with alot of people that they are classics (get rich or die tryin, hunger for more, welcome to cashville and beg for mercy)...but the G unit train is running outa steam. 50 has gone from being a monster with his hooks, but slowly he has gotten awful at writing a catchy chorus (although he is rapping pretty good these days_. the best rapper in the group, buck, has been kicked out, yayo, one of the worst rappers in hiphop is now on alot more of the songs and banks has fallen off with the new way he uses his voice and flow. This album is kinda boring, but not bad.

1. Straight outa southside. Good track, an obvious remake to the original. Vicious beat, liken it but doesnt have much replay value.
3.5/5

2. Piano man. I hate simple beats with a repetetive melody, this one gets annoying. Although the instruments on the hook sound good. Boring chorus, makes you wana fall asleep. Buck has the best verse
2.5/5

3. Close to me. Like 50's verse, hook wasnt too bad by banks. beat was ok, yayo is annoying on this
3/5

4. Rider part II. I thought this was a sick song for a mixtape, was abit confused when they announced it as a single for the album. Hook is actually pretty good, 50 picked it up abit on this. Catchy song, not as good as their older street singles from back in the day.
4/5

5. Casualties of war. 50 has the best verse, followed by yayo. The chorus is AWFUL, i skip it when it comes on. Beat sounds abit like the kingdom come song by jigga.
3/5

6. You so tough. Beat is really sick, sounds like something wutang or mobb deep would rap to. I never liked the hook, sounds too gay and feminin, damn he really lost his singing skills. 50 takes some shots at T.I. on his verse. Lyrics are getting very repetetive by all rappers at this point in the album.
3/5

7. No days off. Good song, beat is sick. Banks and 50 share the hook, they do it well on this song. i think 50 and banks take some subliminals at lil wayne (or fat joe...with the "make it rain" references...plus the "niggas on game shows and two niggas kissin"..wayne and baby diss?)
4/5

8. T.O.S. Beat is ok, hook is lame and sounds like it took 5 seconds to think of and record. Banks has the best verse on this. content is same as usual
2.5/5

9. I like the way she do it. This song grows on you. Beat is catchy, hook is basic but also grows on you. No way near as radio friendly when compared to 50's older singles. This is more aimed for the club, so i rate it based on that. Damn, this album coula used more young buck
3/5

10.Kitty Kat. beat is cool i guess. Hook is kinda basic, not bad though. Sounds alot like the previous song
2.5/5

11. The party aint over. The best song on the album IMO! Love these kinda beats, very sick. Sounds like something they woulda recorded when they were in their prime. I like this version more than the original although the hook went better with the original beat. Hook is done by 50, pretty nicely too. Yayo actually has a pretty good verse. Best line is by banks;
"i need a model-slut, that will swallow-nut...im just kiddin, unless you actually gon do it!"
Bucks verse is too short.
4.5/5

12. Let it go. The second best song on the album! Hook is by Mavado...sounds good. This whole song sounds very Wutangish. 50 woulda sounded good on this, so would have buck. Its only yayo and banks, they do ok. i think yayo has the better verse. beat is intense
4.5/5

13. get down. beat is ok...not the best. Hook is off key and lame again by 50. You can tell he spends little to no time on these anymore.
2/5

14. I dont wana talk bout it. Another braggin type song. hook by 50, not good not particularly bad.
2/5

15. Ready or not. Grimey, creepy type song, no 50 on this, just banks and yayo. Hook sounds abit annoying, banks has lost his hook singing abilities aswell. Makes his voice purposely sqweeky now, and it doesnt work. Yayo has a good verse on this, so does banks.
3/5

16. Money make the world go round. Good closer to an average album. banks verse is pretty good, sounds more monotone on this which makes him sound better.Yayo sounds good on this song, he does the two verse and hook.
3/5

conclusion. Yayo sounds alot better on this album then he did on his own album, suprised me and picked his game up. 50 has some hot verses, but the hooks on this album let it down. When compared to beg for mercy this doesnt hold a candle. Banks should go back to sounding monotone like he did about 4 years ago, cause this new flow isnt working for him. album really missed young buck even though he was on about 4 tracks. Album also lacked versatility. All the songs have the same content, no rnb singing on the hooks, no deep and meaningful songs, no story telling. no real features either. The beats were pretty good when compared to todays standards, but were still a let down. And i dont mind radio friendly singles, if done properly they can be a good break from the usual hardcore shit i listen to, but the singles on TOS were pretty basic. the whole album is no way near as good as their first group album.

final rating. 6/10

Last edited by sarr; 06-29-2008 at 05:15 PM.
sarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 06:34 AM   #2
Dr Zayus
Wu Vatican

Dr Zayus drunken mastaDr Zayus drunken masta

Does 50 Cent love Hip-Hop? Has he ever loved Hip-Hop? Judging from the countless mixtapes G-Unit have released over the years it seems pretty likely. Hilarious skits, a more-than-passing familiarity with the roots of New York Hip-Hop and, most importantly, great songs fill tapes such as 50 Cent is the Future, God's Plan and the surprising trilogy of Thisis50.com tapes. So they love Hip-Hop. Why has it never translated over to the commercially released Interscope/G-Unit/Aftermath records? Since 2003 50, Lloyd Banks and Tony Yayo have plumbed the depths of Dr. Dre's gangsta rap blueprint, ignoring the harsh irony of N.W.A. and the playfulness that punctuated Doggystyle for the stark 'reality' that lay on the surface of these records. 5 years on and it's evident that without the nuance and complexity of Dr. Dre's classic work, G-Unit has nothing.

Terminate On Sight is the latest in a long line of 50 Cent related records that pushes the formula established by Get Rich Or Die Trying to it's breaking point. The music echoes with Dre's far reaching influence although neither he nor any Aftermath producer has any obvious input. The album opens with 'Straight Outta Southside', the most obvious homage to G-Unit's roots to date. References to Sean Bell, gun-play and expensive liquor abound with none of the self-conscious commentary that made the original an enduring song. Lloyd Banks sounds bored. Tony Yayo sounds animated. 50 Cent sounds off-beat. Nothing much changes in G-Unit's world, it seems. The album moves along quickly with a host of Dre soundalikes (Piano Man), Timbaland soundalikes (I Don't Want to Talk About It) and, surprisingly, more Dre soundalikes (everything else). Curtis Jackson the businessman strikes again, employing a host of small-time producers who, despite their talent, churn out rough approximations of popular sounds. Unfortunately it seems this time around nobody's fooled. The singles languish in the depths of the Billboard Hot 100 and it seems, much like 2007's Curtis, that Terminate on Sight is doomed to a short life.

So what went wrong? Jackson's extreme cost-cutting measures and abuse of the gangsta rap blueprint to within an inch of it's life seem to be the main culprits in Terminate on Sight's spectacularly boring failure. G-Unit now sound like throwaway copies of themselves, rehashing the same topics over the same beats with the same style. The cover shot says it all with a highly stylized and extensively photoshopped Unit committing a false crime in a fake environment. No matter how much 50 blusters, bullshits or threatens, the public has moved on and G-Unit has been left catering to a demographic that no longer exists.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:12 AM   #3
ZigZag
KEEP IT FLAVAS

ZigZag Sinister snakeZigZag Sinister snakeZigZag Sinister snakeZigZag Sinister snake
Send a message via AIM to ZigZag Send a message via MSN to ZigZag Send a message via Yahoo to ZigZag

bit harsh but i agree. this is the same shit that made the dips fell off. Gettin these lil kids to make beats....they dont know how to compose music or sample and never listen to anything else besides hip hop. All they can do is mimic other ppl sounds.

G unit and dipset as well need to pay for real producers beats etc. Dips fell off cuz they stop fuckin with just blaze, kanye, heatmakerz etc...

Gunit following that same trend by not fuckin with dre nottz etc...

"CREAM PUFF NIGGA I NEED YOU, SO THEY CAN TELL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ME AND YOU"

ZigZag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 04:40 AM   #4
RynMur
LVsMostBlunted

RynMur iron monkeyRynMur iron monkeyRynMur iron monkey

Twice as many skips compared to standout tracks. The club tracks are ok, but the album seems seems to be missing something on every song...whether its the chorus, beat, lyrics or flow.

Top 5: Rider Pt. II (wack chorus tho), Casualties Of War, You So Tough (another wack chorus), I Like The Way She Do It, Party Ain't Over

Overall Grade: (1.7/5) D+
Old 07-24-2008, 02:07 PM   #5
Edgar Erebus
Munching eyes since 1989

Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

I completely agree with Dr Zayus post. It's a shame that G-Unit made an album so cheap and so boring with so much money available. It's even worse shame that the album of group that was conceited Wu-Tang style - group albums come after a stint of solos and should be triumphant comebacks - ended as worst album release by G-Unit ever.

In-depth review coming soon.
"The Devil is not the Prince of Matter; the Devil is the arrogance of the spirit, faith without smile, truth that is never seized by doubt. The Devil is grim because he knows where he is going, and, in moving, he always returns whence he came."
Edgar Erebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:49 PM   #6
11th Chamber
Are U Watching Closely?

11th Chamber fist of fury11th Chamber fist of fury11th Chamber fist of fury11th Chamber fist of fury11th Chamber fist of fury11th Chamber fist of fury11th Chamber fist of fury11th Chamber fist of fury11th Chamber fist of fury11th Chamber fist of fury11th Chamber fist of fury

yea total dissapointing album, especially since there mixtapes they released months before that were fire

I only really fuck with 7 tracks...

Straight Outta Southside
Piano Man
U So Tough
Casualties of War
No Days Off
Party aint Over
Money Make the World Go Round

Beg For Mercy was really good, so its a shame they came weak with this album
11th Chamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:33 AM   #7
Edgar Erebus
Munching eyes since 1989

Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

TRACK-BY-TRACK

01. Straight Outta Southside (prod. Ron Browz)
Sound-wise, this ain't worst recycling of "Straight Outta Compton" I heard (the title goes to QB version), but when you listen to the lyrics you just get the wish to put the original on. No, no, no. Rappers should know not to recycle if they can't come on-par with original.
2.5/5

02. Piano Man (feat. Young Buck; prod. Tha Bizness)
That beat is soooo G-Unit... but in the bad way, one of the beats they're riding for the last few years when they - who knows why - gave up big-name producers. As for lyrics, song just proves how much did G-Unit lose with Young Buck. And what the fuck is that corny Mozart shit in the beginning?
3/5

03. Close to Me (prod. C. Styles)
I never liked that kinda synths, but okay, I can give props to the beat for actually having some life. Sadly that can't be said for lyrics.
3/5

04. Rider Pt. 2 (feat. Young Buck; prod. Rick Rock)
No. No, no, no. And once more, no. What's that, some opera? Worst use of Cher/T-Pain vocoder EVER, all they managed is to make 50 sound like a goat - and I don't mean that as an initialism. Beat is good, very good, better than other Rick Rock shit this year, and it just proves how better would the album be if they used outside producers.
3/5

04. Casualties of War (prod. Ky Miller)
Okay, this is first song I'm feeling, but still it's not a great song by any means. And it's ruined by god-awful 50 chorus.
3.5/5

05. You So Tough (prod. Ky Miller)
Nothing special. What the hell happened with 50's chorus abilities?
2.5/5

06. No Days Off (prod. Dual Output)
Okay beat, boring lyrics. Only 50 hook on album I really felt.
3/5

07. T.O.S. (prod. Ty Fyffe)
That beat is some 5 minute FL shit (what the fuck are you doing, Ty?). Another lyrical yawner, except for Banks' verse.
2.75/5

08. I Like the Way She Do It (feat. Young Buck; prod. Street Radio)
Producers have the right name, beat sounds like it comes from a cheap old school transistor, with a long fart for bassline. Just another juiceless fuck-a-ho song in the long tradition. Even Buck did nothing.
2.5/5

10. Kitty Kat (prod. Hitboy)
Utter, hopeless piece of trash of lowest kind. To make a difference from former song, this one ain't juiceless, it's nauseatic. Lame lyrics and wack, wack, wack beat. Good only for practicing press on skip button.
1.5/5

11. Party Ain't Over (feat. Young Buck; prod. Damian Taylor)
I saw myself yawning, eleven in the morning... Absolutely nothing not heard zillion times in different variations. Saved by the beat.
3/5

12. Let it Go (feat. Mavado; prod. Don Cannon)
It's my second favorite beat of the album. Too bad that lyrics are still meh. Yeah, chorus is annoying too, they could spare this feat.
3.75/5

13. Get Down (prod. Swizz Beatz & the Individualz)
Swizzie came okay here, although he proved numerous times in last two years that he's capable of much more (last time on C3). Unbelievable, but here we finally have somewhat inspired text by G-Unit (save for Yayo... but anyway). Yeah, it's flossing, but at least it's fun flossing and not just useless name dropping as the bulk of the album.
4/5

14. I Don't Wanna Talk About It (prod. Corparal & Regg)
Beat is in same vibe as "Close to Me". Some tough talk on this one. (He make millions quick and he don't wanna talk about it... what the hell did he do on the whole album then goddammit?)
3.5/5

14. Ready or Not (prod. Jake One)
Jake One is without doubt the best G-Unit affiliated producer, always making that hard but still soulful sound in his beats. He did his best job on "Curtis", if you ask me, but here we have another good example of his good ear. Lloyd came somewhat witty here, while Yayo... Oh well, fuck Yayo.
3.75/5

16. Money Make the World Go Round (prod. Ron Browz)
The weirdest thing about this album is that the last song is actually the best. Ron Browz provided a somber minimalistic backdrop, Yayo came clean on just another confession of former tough life, even - I must be crazy - outshining Banks on here. What the hell happened?
4/5

TOTAL: 3/5 (but I'd correct it to 2.5/5... that couple of good songs really pulls average up)

FINAL IMPRESSION

So I finally forced myself into listening through the whole album. And I regret it. Too much effort for too little reward.

I changed my opinion, though. Partially. It's not an awful album. It's just boring as hell. With G-Unit no name producers making formulaic uninteresting backdrops for the most part - shit sounded cheap as fuck... and 50 had balls to diss Koch? - and G-Unit rappers spending most time counting brand names they supposedly own, it's that kind of an album you need to have only if you're a collectionaire, 'cause it doesn't differ from a trillion same records around at the time.

One terribly disappointing thing in the album are hooks. Listening to 50's howling here just made me remember of "Poppin' Them Thangs", "G'd Up", "In da Club"... Hell, even "Candy Shop" hook is better than anything 50 did here. Why is that? Our bullet-pierced boy got lazy a long time ago, he was rapping like he only waits to run out of studio as early as on Predicate Felon, but with beats as lame as on this album it only gets accentuated.

I used to adore G-Unit. Honest. I used to bump their Get Rich and Beg for Mercy, even Hunger for More every single day. But I grew into a rap fan that, to differ himself from 50's core base, doesn't give a fuck about sales and figures, that only wants to hear some good music. With making wack shit they lost this fan. And with this album - undoubtedly worst album G-Unit camp ever put out - they surely didn't regain him.
"The Devil is not the Prince of Matter; the Devil is the arrogance of the spirit, faith without smile, truth that is never seized by doubt. The Devil is grim because he knows where he is going, and, in moving, he always returns whence he came."
Edgar Erebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:15 PM   #8
David Daniel Davis
PRODIGAL SUN

David Daniel Davis five deadly venomsDavid Daniel Davis five deadly venomsDavid Daniel Davis five deadly venomsDavid Daniel Davis five deadly venomsDavid Daniel Davis five deadly venomsDavid Daniel Davis five deadly venomsDavid Daniel Davis five deadly venomsDavid Daniel Davis five deadly venoms

Totally weak; was expecting much better; if they would just get rid of Tony Yayo and make
G Unit just Fifty Cent and Lloyd Banks; that would be good; these other guys have no style
Beat selection was garbage for the most part.
David Daniel Davis is online now   Reply With Quote