news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Wu-Tang Chamber

Old 08-25-2005, 12:04 AM   #1
Hollow Dartz
Banned

Hollow Dartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Hollow Dartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Hollow Dartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Hollow Dartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Hollow Dartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Hollow Dartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Hollow Dartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Hollow Dartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Hollow Dartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Hollow Dartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Hollow Dartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via AIM to Hollow Dartz
Default Gza vs Dj Muggs news story

BALLERSTATUS NEWS STORY

DJ Muggs, Gza Get Their Chess Game Up With Grandmasters
By Zio
Wednesday - August 24, 2005
DJ Muggs
Photo Credit: N/A

On Sunday (August 21), DJ Muggs gave selected media the first preview of his upcoming album, entitled DJ Muggs vs. Gza: Grandmasters, a collaborative album between the Cypress Hill's Muggs and Wu-Tang's Gza.

As far as the title and theme of the project, it's a reference to chess, a favorite pastime of the Genius.

"Whenever I work with an emcee," DJ Muggs told BallerStatus.net. "I try to tap into their personality, what they're about as a human being and bring that out more." However, the title pertains to hip-hop as well. "The highest level of the chess masters is the Grandmaster. The highest level of the DJ or the emcee is the Grandmaster -- it's synonymous with both," Muggs explained.

Grandmasters showcases Gza's power wit the pen, as he writes intricate rhymes on a variety of topics from the past and present. One track entitled "All In Together Now," which was the title of Gza's first rap crew, pays tribute to the late, great ODB. Another track pays tribute to hip-hop as Gza sings on the hook: "This is hip-hop/emcees get busy/it's not pop/You frontin', you get dropped/ You listenin' to slanged out goodies/ Timberlands and hoodies/ for the rhymin' that came from the streets."

While acknowledging the past, Gza also keeps the album fresh and up-to-date. For example, on one innovative track, Gza uses all the names of the NFL teams to describe a female.

Aside from Gza's lyrical skills, Muggs' power of production shines as well, as he creates hard hitting, haunting beats reminiscent of the early Wu-Tang days. Although, it's hard to overlook Muggs' production, the DJ/producer feels the album is more about the lyrics rather than his beats.

"I was just tryin' to lay a background for his lyrics," Muggs told BallerStatus.net. "You know, when you hear a great lyricist like Billy Holiday or Sade, it's about the words. So, I just tried to create a certain vibe for the words."

Despite Muggs' modest attitude, his beats play a key role in the success of this album. Gza acknowledges this in a lyric, stating that, "The fact that the beat came from Muggs was a hell of a gift."

The two originally worked together in '97 on Muggs Presents: The Soul Assassins Ch. 1, and in '99 people began to push for them to work on a joint project. However, there was no home for the project until Muggs, along with DJ Khalil and Chace Infinite of Self Scientific, created Angeles Records. Once securing their label situation, DJ Muggs approached Gza about making the anticipated album. Gza then flew out to Los Angeles, and 8 days later the album was complete.

In addition to the Gza joint project, Muggs is continuing to work on upcoming projects from his newly founded Angeles Records imprint (see "DJ Muggs And Duo Self-Scientific Ink Deal To Form New Label") with Fontana Distribution, the independent distribution division of Universal Music Group (UMG).

He is also creating a soundtrack score for "Ride," a film about a snowboarding legend, as well as hosting his own Mash Up Radio show on Sirius Satellite.

DJ Muggs vs. Gza: Grandmasters is slated to drop October 25 on Angeles Records.

props to ballerstatus.net
Hollow Dartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 12:14 AM   #2
gi0vanni
Swordsman

gi0vanni grasshopper
Default Re: Gza vs Dj Muggs news story

NLF names? should be sick...
gi0vanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 12:50 AM   #3
Hollow Dartz
Banned

Hollow Dartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Hollow Dartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Hollow Dartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Hollow Dartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Hollow Dartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Hollow Dartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Hollow Dartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Hollow Dartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Hollow Dartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Hollow Dartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Hollow Dartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

yea
Old 08-25-2005, 12:55 AM   #4
Create
Furst Breed !!

Create grasshopper
Send a message via AIM to Create

While acknowledging the past, Gza also keeps the album fresh and up-to-date. For example, on one innovative track, Gza uses all the names of the NFL teams to describe a female.

omg ANOTEHR FUCKING CONCEPT TRACK

NOW WE CAN ADD THAT TO
LABELS
FAME
ANIMAL PLANET

omg man am so fucking hyped for that fucking track

Pussy Ass Quotes
Quote:
Originally Posted by gi0vanni
create man you're always bitching at people. you need to take a chill pill. you jump on people every chance you get.
Create is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 01:12 AM   #5
THE W
ISRAELITE

THE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venoms

dude he's actually gonna talk about a girl?! WHOOOOOOOOOA!!!

HA!
The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:18-20)
THE W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 01:15 AM   #6
Prophet-One
Veteran Member

Prophet-One crouching tiger
Send a message via MSN to Prophet-One

nfl teams sounds kinda lame, and i hope he didnt write the album in 8 days...
Prophet-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 01:20 AM   #7
Hollow Dartz
Banned

lol dont worry its hot, did u hear the two singles yet?
Old 08-25-2005, 01:37 AM   #8
Prophet-One
Veteran Member

Prophet-One crouching tiger
Send a message via MSN to Prophet-One

ya i heard the singles, they were aiight, I can see it being done in 8 days though, and i hope they fix all in together now, where rza starts part of a verse then it cuts into gza, sounds bad, did muggs mix it too?
Prophet-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 06:51 AM   #9
MANISH
Veteran Member

MANISH shaolin monk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet-One
nfl teams sounds kinda lame, and i hope he didnt write the album in 8 days...
What the fuck do you mean, lame?!
And i suppose that you can do better?
Old 08-25-2005, 08:04 AM   #10
ShaolinDarts
Audio System/Diamond

ShaolinDarts iron monkeyShaolinDarts iron monkeyShaolinDarts iron monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadedigital36
dude he's actually gonna talk about a girl?! WHOOOOOOOOOA!!!

HA!
That in itself is a concept for something coming from Gza

I'm hood ornaments, junkies win awards in my tournaments - Chef Raekwon
ShaolinDarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 08:39 AM   #11
THE W
ISRAELITE

THE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venomsTHE W five deadly venoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaolinDarts
That in itself is a concept for something coming from Gza
i dont think this guy flipped hardly even a line a about a chick since words from the genius.

he did have this line on liquid swords though, "i bone the secret outa bitch in the sorority"

thats why i like Gza though. you got every MC and they mama talkin about bitches, money, and guns and Gza doesnt do it. he's a breath of fresh air.
The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse. (Romans 1:18-20)
Old 08-25-2005, 08:43 AM   #12
ShaolinDarts
Audio System/Diamond

On 36 Chambers when he says "lets get the girls and have a mud fight".

Gza has always had alot to say and thats why I think he has avoided the topic of females. Songs about females are just generally easier to make and mostly have little to no intelligence and are almost a cop out for most artists.

Old 08-25-2005, 08:50 AM   #13
THE W
ISRAELITE

yeah that one too. "and im the dirtiest thing in site, matter fact bring the girls and lets have a mud fight".
Old 08-25-2005, 08:58 AM   #14
Dante
Devils never cry

Dante grasshopper
Send a message via AIM to Dante Send a message via Yahoo to Dante

Well keep in mind people, GZA is gonna be using NFL team names while talking about a girl, So you know it aint gonna be a typical song about a bitch ya know? and like someone else said, you could add that to "Labels" "Publicity" "Fame" and "Animal Planet" Glad he's keeping that tradition. Shit should be sick as fuck! I'm so hyped for this album man!
Old 08-25-2005, 08:59 AM   #15
ShaolinDarts
Audio System/Diamond

Kind of wondering how many more times Gza can do this before the novelty wears of