news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Wu-Tang Chamber > Album Reviews

View Poll Results: Protools
Classic 30 15.96%
Superior 82 43.62%
Banger 57 30.32%
Average 14 7.45%
Mediocore 3 1.60%
Weak 0 0%
Wack 2 1.06%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-25-2008, 07:34 AM   #211
Gravedigga_nigga
rzarected

Gravedigga_nigga crouching tiger

A banger, 7.5-8/10, like some of you have already said, the tracks are too short and he could have come harder on some tracks

But good effort nonetheless
Old 08-25-2008, 11:22 AM   #212
Fright
ADEPT

Fright crouching tigerFright crouching tiger

i agree mostly with everything what The Silencer said about this album, im not feeling it much, it has no energy...idk, GZA is too lazy on this album.i would better listen to the new Nas or The Game album than this one, they have something what Pro Tools dont have, yes GZA lyrically is on point, but thats all.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:16 PM   #213
IrOnMaN
I understand

IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

I'm loving the reviews. Thanks.
IrOnMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:44 PM   #214
harm77
Veteran Member

harm77 Imbecile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzah View Post
GZA - Pro Tools

GZA tore shit up with this one, this matched the expectations I got after listening to the albums first official single, Alphabets. A little remark, some songs are just plain, too short. I am disappointed I didn't hear a verse from True Master, or at least another verse from GZA on Columbian Ties. All in all, this album is more than worth copping. It's worth copping three times, one for bumping, one for framing and hanging on the wall, and one left wrapped in plastic. Some might find my review too "soft" with too high scores, but fuck it, this ain't nothing professional. This is just a 15-year-old kid enjoying an album. You'll get a top-notch review from Hollow,Sheepish,claaa7,brock,the silencer and others... Peace to y'all.

1. Intromental (Unrated)

A nice intro for things to come, musically. With RZA shouting out GZA/Genius at some points, this really gets you in a relaxed mood... but...

2. Pencil ft Masta Killa & RZA (4/5)

A certified Wu-Banga, with a sick Allah Maths beat with a creepy-ass sample. GZA comes sick, a nice MK verse, but RZA is on some next level shit. He destroyes everything. A great verse, that trademarks this track.

3. Alphabets (5/5)

What Can I say? A sick True Master looped beat (All I need is a beat, with a continous loop, and a live vibe that hypnotize like a flute), and GZA's flow is on point. Great delivery that matches the beat, and the lyrics are vintage. With a classic chorus that gets every letter of the alphabet covered... in style "Y, Zig-Zag-Zig... and now I'm back home". Classic track. I'll be bumping this in front of my kids proudly in 10-15 years.

4. Groundbreaking feat Justice Kareem (4/5)

It looks like Bronze Nazareth is the hottest producer in the hip hop game right now. Everything he produced lately takes down the wall. A storytelling first verse from the Genius, followed by a familiar chorus "We roll together as one, I call my brother son, cuz he shine like one". The second verse is pretty strong, but he's joined by his son Young Justice that has some nice lines, but nothing Groundbreaking.

5. 7 Pounds (4/5)

Banger. A sick intro by Preservation, and a great beat produced by Black Milk. GZA comes true on this, with his flow/delivery matching the beat perfectly. A crazy-ass sample and nice old-school raps. Takes you back. A great joint.

6. 0% Finance (4.5/5)

This is near-classic. The much-discussed re-used Stay In Line beat is very enjoyable, and I'll regard it as an authentic beat. Classic GZA flow, a little sleepy delivery and mindblowing lyrics. Reminiscent of Queens Gambit, the storytelling lyrics with incorporated car names, simply blow you away. "Took her of the showroom floor, no money down"

7. Short Race (4/5)

A nice Arabian Knight beat laced with guitars in the background. GZA's delivery is too sleepy on this one, but the storytelling lyrics make up for it to some point. A good verse from Rock Marciano, with a real enjoyable chorus from the cat. A real slept on rapper. I slept on him too. This woke me up.

8. Interlude
(Unrated)

A cut from an 8 Diagrams interview that grips the topic of the massiveness of the Wu-Tang Clan. An interlude that immediately sears into...

9. Paper Plates (4.5/5)

Already discussed. A diss to an industry giant, 50 Cent. Calling his art "disposable" like a Paper Plate in the title... GZA goes on a lyrical rampage here. With a simple RZA beat, a very simple RZA beat, intended to emphasize the lyrics, although the lyrics are followed by a somewhat sleepy delivery. GZA is destroying 50 Cent on this one. In the same time he reminds 50 about a lot of flaws in his career, but at the same time touches the classics, and touches the masiveness of the Clan. All with vintage lyrics.

10. Columbian Ties feat True Master (5/5)

Classic joint. Nothing less than classic about it. A great hook from True Master (In his own iniquity he dies, through Columbian Ties), great jabs from the GZA, with a Bronze Nazareth beat that perfectly matches the "killing" vibe of the track. This shares Alphabets' spot as the favorite cut on the album. The only flaw is that it is too short, as I mentioned in the introduction to the review.

11. Firehouse feat Ka (3/5)

3 nice verses from an unknown cat Ka, with an enjoyable hook from GZA. The nice vibe of the track is focused by the nice Rock Marciano beat. This is just that chill track. Nothing special about it.

12. Path Of Destruction (4/5)

A great beat, a trademark of the famous producer... erm... Jay Waxx Garfield. Sorry, but I never heard of this cat. Anyway, the beat is very enjoyable, that follows the storytelling about a young criminal. A very enjoyable track, nothing less than what I expected at this point of the album.

13. Cinema feat Justice Kareem
(3.5/5)

With GZA's creepy whispering over an Arabian Knight beat, this gives you the chills. Again... storytelling lyrics. A hook from his son, that you can't hear unless you turn your volume the fuck up. Great cut, I'd listen to this only after 11 P.M. because of it's real creppy night vibe. GZA's flow is on point here, with a great delivery.

14. Intermission (Unrated)

A nice break that relieves you of those chills you got from Cinema. Nice shit, for real.

15. Life Is a Movie feat RZA & Khan-Acito (3.5/5)

Nice to hear RZA & GZA sharing a beat alone. Well, with this cat Khan-Acito too, but that doesn't count. A beat that marks RZA's recent musical evolution. A nice beat, but could be better. With the nice lyrics both from GZA/Genius and Bobby Digitech, this is a good song that isn't amongst my favorite cuts.

16. Elastic Audio (Live Performance) (4/5)

1112 beat. In GZA's words "There's always something about this beat right here, Dreddy". And for real, this beat is monstrous and this whole song is a banger. But the lyrics last too short (Over the beat), with GZA's delivery being very very energetic. The only flaw about this, is the censure of the curses. "My Wu-Tang wwwp ain't nuthin to wwwwp with". The second part of this, and the ending of the album, is his second verse off General Principles from his DJ Muggs collabo Grandmasters.

Overall

53/65 = 4.1/5

Although I'm giving this album a 4.5/5.

PEACE
life is a movie u gave 3 1/2 /5????? wow u r bugging my friends. thats clearly the best track on the album. lets even do a poll to prove it.
harm77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:51 PM   #215
Suga Duga
1%

Suga Duga Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Suga Duga Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Suga Duga Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Suga Duga Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Suga Duga Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Suga Duga Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Suga Duga Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Suga Duga Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Suga Duga Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Suga Duga Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Suga Duga Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hide1998 View Post
"The dumb are mostly intrigued by the drum"
- Masta Killa
smh, b/c he doesn't like the beats? idiot.

silencer's review is pretty good. I'm not really happy with the 2nd half of the album. Justice Kareem plz quit rapping.

You said the album is so short, silencer. I cannot agree. I rather have a solid 40 minutes than a 25-30 songs album with 5 skits, 3 interludes or those stupid phone calls like that douche cilvaringz used to have on his album.

I wouldn't rate some songs that low, but overall this is a 7/10.

and yes, the flow is not 2008.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:18 PM   #216
-The A to the Z-
Veteran Member

-The A to the Z- iron monkey-The A to the Z- iron monkey-The A to the Z- iron monkey-The A to the Z- iron monkey-The A to the Z- iron monkey

Consensus:

Coloured people do not like Pro Tools.

As in people with coloured-font usernames...the Mods etc.
-The A to the Z- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 05:26 PM   #217
Ritter
'Section 9'

Ritter five deadly venomsRitter five deadly venomsRitter five deadly venomsRitter five deadly venomsRitter five deadly venomsRitter five deadly venomsRitter five deadly venomsRitter five deadly venomsRitter five deadly venoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by harm77 View Post
life is a movie u gave 3 1/2 /5????? wow u r bugging my friends. thats clearly the best track on the album. lets even do a poll to prove it.
To each his own. I'm feeling Life Is A Movie, but clearly you have Alphabets that is unfukwitable. One of the best tracks this year.
Ritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:31 PM   #218
RynMur
LVsMostBlunted

RynMur iron monkeyRynMur iron monkeyRynMur iron monkey

Pro Tools is one of the top 5 albums of 2008.
It has around 8 standout tracks and you can play it from beginning to end (no skips).
The only downside I found to the album was the tracks are a lil' short and his flow isn't agressive as it was on LS. However, his 43 year old flow fits the maturity & theme of the album. And what's with all the hate towards Justice? He really didn't even get the chance to spit.

Top 5: Alphabets, 0% Finance, Paper Plate, Path Of Destruction, Life Is A Movie
Grade: (4.5/5) A
Old 08-28-2008, 09:20 PM   #219
Jin10304
Veteran Member

Jin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venoms

The only downside I found to the album was the tracks are a lil' short and his flow isn't agressive as it was on LS. However, his 43 year old flow fits the maturity & theme of the album.

Well when he was younger he was 29 during Liquid Swords so OF COURSE he isnt going to be agressive as he was. Thats like asking a 13 year old to be as energetic as he was when he was 6
Jin10304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 11:52 PM   #220
racist randy
Banned

racist randy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)racist randy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)racist randy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)racist randy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)racist randy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)racist randy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)racist randy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)racist randy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)racist randy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)racist randy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)racist randy Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via AIM to racist randy

I'm with the silencer on this one.
racist randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2008, 03:22 AM   #221
Longbongcilvaringz

Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Longbongcilvaringz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

People constantly dragging out that MK line are infinitely corny.

I don't see how the album is short either.

Longbongcilvaringz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 08:41 PM   #222
Jin10304
Veteran Member

Jin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venomsJin10304 five deadly venoms

Definitely short.

Words From The Genius (1 Hr 1 Min 16 tracks) No skits
Liquid Swords (55 Min 12 GZA tracks 1 Non-GZA track) No skits
Beneath The Surface minus skits/intro (42 Min 11 GZA tracks 2 Non-GZA tracks)
LOTLS minus intro (50 Min 13 GZA tracks 1 Non-GZA track)
Grandmasters minus Opening (42 Min 11 GZA tracks)
Pro Tools minus intro/skits OR Elastic Audio (38 Min 11 GZA tracks 1 Non-GZA track)

I didnt count Elastic Audio since its a cheap bonus track of previously heard material, it is the shortest GZA LP out his catalogue, maybe some felt it was also short because of his 1 verse on Colombian Ties, the only songs hitting a 4 + min mark were Pencil, Short Race & 0% (which some dislike because of GZA's spoken word type rap so its gruesome to listen all the way through), dedicating yet another song to an unknown rapper with GZA on the hook, and most songs being 2:30 +.

WFTG (most songs hit 3:30 to 5 min)
LS (same as above)
BTS (3 min to 4)
LOTLS (majority of 4 minuts down to 3:30 or 3min)
GM (3:30 & above)

Last edited by Jin10304; 08-31-2008 at 08:43 PM.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:47 PM   #223
SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
AKA THE PROTO-CHAOS

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jin10304 View Post
Definitely short.

Words From The Genius (1 Hr 1 Min 16 tracks) No skits
Liquid Swords (55 Min 12 GZA tracks 1 Non-GZA track) No skits
Beneath The Surface minus skits/intro (42 Min 11 GZA tracks 2 Non-GZA tracks)
LOTLS minus intro (50 Min 13 GZA tracks 1 Non-GZA track)
Grandmasters minus Opening (42 Min 11 GZA tracks)
Pro Tools minus intro/skits OR Elastic Audio (38 Min 11 GZA tracks 1 Non-GZA track)

I didnt count Elastic Audio since its a cheap bonus track of previously heard material, it is the shortest GZA LP out his catalogue, maybe some felt it was also short because of his 1 verse on Colombian Ties, the only songs hitting a 4 + min mark were Pencil, Short Race & 0% (which some dislike because of GZA's spoken word type rap so its gruesome to listen all the way through), dedicating yet another song to an unknown rapper with GZA on the hook, and most songs being 2:30 +.

WFTG (most songs hit 3:30 to 5 min)
LS (same as above)
BTS (3 min to 4)
LOTLS (majority of 4 minuts down to 3:30 or 3min)
GM (3:30 & above)
wait, wait let me get this straight your judging the album via it's length wow that's just fickle right there man. this album is good even with it's flaws you should be happy to have another GZA album not be some internet nerd who dislikes something for some superficial reason. man listen with an open mind not with a closed one or you'll always be dissappointed.

NON IGNORANT...

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 09:36 PM   #224
Jin10304
Veteran Member

wait, wait let me get this straight your judging the album via it's length wow that's just fickle right there man. this album is good even with it's flaws you should be happy to have another GZA album not be some internet nerd who dislikes something for some superficial reason. man listen with an open mind not with a closed one or you'll always be dissappointed.

LOL I never said I didnt like the album, read what Pat Bateman wrote. I was just pointing out how the album is indeed shorter than GZA's previous releases. Think before you even judge me dog because not once did I drop my own opinion on the album in my previous post
Old 09-04-2008, 10:22 AM   #225
chiba
N.I.

chiba five deadly venomschiba five deadly venomschiba five deadly venomschiba five deadly venomschiba five deadly venomschiba five deadly venomschiba five deadly venomschiba five deadly venomschiba five deadly venoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Dartz View Post
I'm with the silencer on this one.

yep...me 2

courtesy of Bobby_Digital72

Non Ignorants
chiba is offline   Reply With Quote