news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Sound Shack

Old 04-23-2011, 04:15 PM   #1
Taskmaster2112
PRODIGAL SUN

Taskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killa
Default The Free Jazz Thread

I searched the Sound Shack and didn't find a thread about this so I figured I'd start one on my own. Jazz is probably the genre of music I listen to most for the past year or two, and for the last several months I've been binging on free jazz, post-bop, AACM-style avant-garde stuff, and related musics, so I figured I'd make a thread where people who are interested in more out there jazz sounds can share tracks, recommend albums/artists, and ask questions. I've accumulated several hundred jazz albums on my iPod and have been building up a vinyl collection as well (though not as quickly, since I don't have a lot of money and a lot of old jazz records are out of print). Here are a few of the artists that have been on constant rotation for me lately (unfortunately a lot of free jazz songs are very long so I can't find a lot of the ones I'd want to post on Youtube):

Albert Ayler

John Coltrane (of course):

Alice Coltrane:

Phil Ranelin:

Pharoah Sanders:

Roscoe Mitchell:

Last edited by Taskmaster2112; 04-24-2011 at 07:30 AM.
Taskmaster2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:39 PM   #2
Taskmaster2112
PRODIGAL SUN

Taskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killaTaskmaster2112 shaolin masta killa

A few more dope free jazz artists that have been getting frequent spins from me lately.

Joe McPhee:

Air (Henry Threadgill, Fred Hopkins, and Steve McCall):

Sun Ra:

The Revolutionary Ensemble (Leroy Jenkins, Sirone, and Jerome Cooper):

Sam Rivers:

And of course, one of the men who started it all, Ornette Coleman:
Old 04-24-2011, 08:18 AM   #3
Taskmaster2112
PRODIGAL SUN

And some more free jazz that I haven't been able to stop playing lately:

Noah Howard:

Harry Whitaker:

Marcus Belgrave:

Horace Tapscott:

Don Cherry:

Cecil Taylor:
Old 04-24-2011, 08:31 AM   #4
Taskmaster2112
PRODIGAL SUN

Some more free jazz and some post-bop (which uses elements of 50s and 60s style hard bop and free jazz). These first few are good for people who aren't ready for some of the more abstract sounds that I've already posted:

Jackie McLean:

Bobby Hutcherson:

Grachan Moncur III:

Archie Shepp:

Anthony Braxton (from his solo alto saxophone record "For Alto":

Peter Brotzmann Octet (not for the faint of heart):

I'm going to keep posting more tracks in the future.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:55 AM   #5
Taskmaster2112
PRODIGAL SUN

And some more for all of you. I know there's some jazz fans on this board who'd dig at least some of what I'm posting.

Mtume Umoja Ensemble:

Steve Reid:

Eric Dolphy:

Kalaparusha Maurice McIntyre:

William Parker:

Young Jazz Rebels (one of Madlib's many Yesterday's Universe bands):
Old 04-25-2011, 09:11 AM   #6
Taskmaster2112
PRODIGAL SUN

And even more for you guys.

Matthew Shipp (who has worked with El-P and Anti-Pop Consortium)(this isn't the most free song he's ever done, but it's dope):

Art Ensemble of Chicago:

David S. Ware:

Marion Brown:

More Coltrane:

Joseph Jarman:
Old 04-25-2011, 05:21 PM   #7
IrOnMaN
I understand

IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)IrOnMaN Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

IrOnMaN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:43 AM   #8
Taskmaster2112
PRODIGAL SUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tectrus Moa View Post

This track is smooth jazz, not free jazz. In fact, it's about as different from free jazz as night is from day. Plus it's a pretty wack song.

Old 04-30-2011, 02:18 PM   #9
Taskmaster2112
PRODIGAL SUN

East New York Ensemble de Music:
Old 05-02-2011, 10:30 PM   #10
oDoUoSoKo
frieza saga

oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)oDoUoSoKo Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via AIM to oDoUoSoKo

damn bro, u put in work here, good shit
oDoUoSoKo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:47 AM   #11
claaa7
Killer Bob

claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

huge props to you Taskmaster + rep. it's funny when i started studying music theory/music history at the university here i only really know jazz through hip hop (Madlib, Pete Rock mixes, ATCQ, samples, Buckshot LeFonque) and i never thought vintage jazz was my type of shit. so one of the courses were Jazz which broke down how it all started and all the way to the '90s, i think the course was three months. once we started getting into the late '40s be-bop and even more so the mid 50's i really started finding music i loved and when stuff like "Sketches of Spain", "A Love Supreme" and Miles's and Herbie's fusion records was played for us i was totally sold. i immediatly started buying jazz records like crazy, learning more about it, joining jazz forums, etc and now i listen to it equally as much as hip-hop.

one thing tho, we had one lesson that was dedicated to strictly free jazz/avant-garde and i really didn't like that shit at all then. since then time has passed and i understands jazz alot better and once your ears get accustomed to something you see it in a new light. i'm still not crazy about "the free thing" but i love the spirituality in the music ... "Meditations" by John Coltrane is a lovely free jazz album and so is "Expression" and "A Love Supreme" (of course, altho that's kind of in the middle of his phases). besides that i mostly have heard the older classic Coltrane, but i started enjoying it more and more.

"Machine Gun" by Peter Bröttzman is some crazy shit too, you gotta love it just for its sheer intensity and madness and the way he blows that horn. who the hell can blow a horn that fucking hard, MAN!!! i'm about to listen to Albert Ayler's "Spiritual Unity" soon as i'm downloading it right now after reading up on it + i bought a Chick Corea album recorded in 1969 that features Bennie Maupin, Dave Holland, Jack De Johnette, Hubert Laws and Horace Arnold that's pretty free. also "Supa Nova" by Wayne Shorter (the album) is dope.

its funny too that Miles always said he wasn't into the free thing but with his third great quintet (the "lost quintet") he let them play pretty damn avant-garde ish whenever he didn't solo (whiich they would tighten up their groove for). just check this:

thx again for this thread.

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!
claaa7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:56 AM   #12
Taskmaster2112
PRODIGAL SUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusk View Post
damn bro, u put in work here, good shit
Ha ha thanks man, I'm wrapping up a particularly rough semester, but once I finish that up I'll be posting more tracks and offering a bit of commentary on some of them too. I plan on keeping this thread alive and strong even if there's only a few cats who are into it.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:59 AM   #13
Taskmaster2112
PRODIGAL SUN

Oh and claaa I see where you're coming from. I got into jazz through hip hop too and it definitely took me a while to get into the free stuff. Once I finish up my work in the next few days I'll put together a list of more accessible less abrasive free albums for you that you might be able to get in to.

I didn't say it in the beginning of this thread, but along with free jazz the type of jazz I've been most into lately has been Coltrane's spiritual stuff and post-Coltrane spiritual jazz from the late 60s and 70s, so I have a ton of dope albums from that category that I can recommend too. I'll throw a list up this weekend or next week.

Last edited by Taskmaster2112; 05-03-2011 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:54 AM   #14
Taskmaster2112
PRODIGAL SUN

Also, if you're into Miles' second great quintet and Weather Report, then you're deifnitely familiar with Wayne Shorter. If you've never heard it before, you should check out his Blue Note album "The All-Seeing Eye". It's probably the most free album he's ever done, but its still really easy to get into. I highly recommend it.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:43 PM   #15
claaa7
Killer Bob

claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

i recently checked out the album "Spiritual Unity" by Albert Ayler which was dope, i like the way this guy plays the sax. definitely check out that Chick Corea album i mentioned, "Converge", it's called; been listening quite abit to it lately.

right now i'm listening to Keith Jarret's "The Köln Concert" - maaaaaan, what an amazing piece of music!! definitely not free jazz, but just wow! i also bought "Inside Out" by Jarett w. Gary Peacock and Jack DeJohnette but haven't listened to it yet but i suspect it's alot more free form from reading the linear notes.

thx, i'll check out that Wayne Shorter album. i've heard alot by him, including the album "Supa Nova" which was much more avant-garde than he was playing in Weather Report or in Miles quintet so i'll look for that LP too.

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!
claaa7 is offline   Reply With Quote