news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Lab > Temple Of Darts

Old 10-15-2008, 08:12 AM   #1
J-Cee
SmokeY

J-Cee Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J-Cee Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J-Cee Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J-Cee Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J-Cee Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J-Cee Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J-Cee Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J-Cee Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J-Cee Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J-Cee Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J-Cee Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Default MC's Writing Techniques.......

When you writing a track,how do you do it??
I Always basically have the beat goin in the background so i can write to it and so i have my flow on beat with it....but it seems when i write without a beat i can write alot deeper and such..but then tryna put those lyrics to the beat it doesnt flow that well.

Any tips,hints techniques yall got??
J-Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 09:48 AM   #2
J.T.S.
God Of WAr

J.T.S. Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J.T.S. Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J.T.S. Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J.T.S. Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J.T.S. Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J.T.S. Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J.T.S. Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J.T.S. Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J.T.S. Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J.T.S. Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J.T.S. Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Me i'll watch a movie and write a song inspired by it, read books and write songs inspired by them.
Basically everything in life inspires me to write. Also alot of meditation helps too. Listening to other artists so i don't sound like them, even the weakest artists insire me. Also i practice deep breathing this is good for a fluid flow, and delivery.

My evidence, my own testament, written on wood
Twelve tribes layin at the head of corners in hoods
Hell razah

Last edited by J.T.S.; 10-15-2008 at 09:50 AM.
J.T.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:08 AM   #3
J-Cee
SmokeY

J-Cee Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J-Cee Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J-Cee Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J-Cee Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J-Cee Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J-Cee Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J-Cee Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J-Cee Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J-Cee Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J-Cee Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)J-Cee Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

^true..yeh i get inspired by exciting upcoming events..or like the thought of doing a live show,listening to a real deep track..
also sometimes just depends on how i'm feeling at the tine and if i'm really feeling the beat.
J-Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:41 PM   #4
Koolish
Don't Mess With It

Koolish drunken mastaKoolish drunken masta

the beat and the lyrics aren't mutually exclusive. if it's not flowing as well maybe you're trying to write something that doesn't work with that beat.

the words are a part of the beat in the bigger picture.
Koolish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 04:59 PM   #5
SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
AKA THE PROTO-CHAOS

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.T.S. View Post
Me i'll watch a movie and write a song inspired by it, read books and write songs inspired by them.
Basically everything in life inspires me to write. Also alot of meditation helps too. Listening to other artists so i don't sound like them, even the weakest artists insire me. Also i practice deep breathing this is good for a fluid flow, and delivery.
same here, i'm inspired by emotions, movies, random thoughts, anything to get the creative juices flowing. but artists like canibus, kool keith, mf doom, nas and ghostface inspire my flow energy wise i try n be sticky or busta sometimes it doesn't work out. but i memorize allot of songs like that aformentioned artist to keep my flow intact.

NON IGNORANT...

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 05:54 PM   #6
Tecknowledgist
PUTYOMONEYWHEREYOMOUTHIZ

Tecknowledgist Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tecknowledgist Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tecknowledgist Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tecknowledgist Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tecknowledgist Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tecknowledgist Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tecknowledgist Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tecknowledgist Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tecknowledgist Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tecknowledgist Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tecknowledgist Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

if it's an especially long or deep piece, i usually write it all out off the top of my head, not worrying about rhyming or flow or anything. just say what i want to say. then i go back and make it all rhyme. on my third way through, i change it around to work in the best flow i possible can. three drafts. but for just a regular 16 or something, i just get a beat and start writing. i find a metronome equally effective. its just the speed that changes my flow.
Tecknowledgist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:09 PM   #7
Guarded By Martyrs
''Don't Get Me Started''

Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Poetry and the relanshionship words have with each another.

Inspiration comes from anything visual
Or something that makes me think...and that I think might make others as well.

I usually have an overall topic in mind and have seperate lines written down-
Then when writing the actual verse switch lines around and fill the spaces
And make it roll onto the next set of pre written lines...
Once the verse is finnished I'll spit it over a beat...then alter the lines written in the spaces
And adapt the flow according to the beat - It's all a very precise ritual really.
I focus on wordplay in general and use punchlines like a sniper rather than a machine gun

Last edited by Guarded By Martyrs; 10-15-2008 at 06:12 PM.
Guarded By Martyrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:32 PM   #8
Ghost In The 'Lac
crushed out heavenly

Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

^Its not about the writing. Its not a poetry exam. Its rapping. R-A-P-P-I-N-G!

you should be doing something that SOUNDS good over the beat. Its all about being the extra instrument on the track. Flowing rhythemically with the beat.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:46 PM   #9
THE MASON
Winter is Coming

THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)THE MASON King of Kings (Five Pointed Palm Exploding Heart Technique)

Ill get inspired by anything to write, literally anything i see can spark an idea. Usually ill write to a beat, but when i dont sometimes ill get my best work out of it, cuz i feel i can mold the verse into the beat. When i go to spit the verse, thats a whole new game, straight up step into my own world jus me and the beat, and i let words set the scene in my mind and i go off from there

ELITE STATUS
THE MASON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:11 PM   #10
Sinapse
Hip Hop aholic

Sinapse five deadly venomsSinapse five deadly venomsSinapse five deadly venomsSinapse five deadly venomsSinapse five deadly venomsSinapse five deadly venomsSinapse five deadly venomsSinapse five deadly venomsSinapse five deadly venomsSinapse five deadly venoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTLACED View Post
^Its not about the writing. Its not a poetry exam. Its rapping. R-A-P-P-I-N-G!

you should be doing something that SOUNDS good over the beat. Its all about being the extra instrument on the track. Flowing rhythemically with the beat.
I agree totally...

Last edited by Sinapse; 10-15-2008 at 10:58 PM.
Sinapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:14 PM   #11
KLIION JENSEN
PRODIGAL SUN

KLIION JENSEN drunken mastaKLIION JENSEN drunken mastaKLIION JENSEN drunken masta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinapse View Post
Incredibly stupid.

It's not about writing? Wow. That's all I can say.

its not really, i think this the first time i've agreed with Ghostlaced on something, it's about the rapping, the way the words fit the beat & how they sound with the beat..

on the for real, i written like one/uno verse in nearly 3 years, but made shitloads of songs, basically i come up with a word or phrase to start the verse (forget about the beat for now) then i reapeat that phrase over & over, in my head or outloud until the next line comes, & repeat the exercise until i got a verse & then again until i got a song, i dont need to have a beat playing to do this, you aint always gonna have the means to have a beat playing, so you can't rely on a beat, and you aint always gonna have a pen & paper handy either, so i got rid of the pen & paper......another reason for losing the pen & paper is because, when i actually write/wrote lyrics down, i have a specific way of doing it & when it came to recording i'd be concentrating where the words are on the paper - cos thats how i wrote it, even if i knew the words by heart i'd still have the image of the paper in my head........so i got rid of the image, and kept the sound......and for me personally, i dunno about anyone else, but it feels more comfortable to spit when you dont have the paper in front of you, & i dont stumble over my words as much as i used to.................as far as the beat, i walk everywhere i go, & when i'm walking i tend to think alot, & lyrics are the main subject of thought, & i dont have a ipod or anything, so usually to get timing for the lyrics, i use my footsteps as a metronome, that way i can put my lyrics to any beat, and they aint restricted to just one flow.

the one verse that i actually wrote on paper in the past 3 years, i wrote it about 2 months ago, and i tried to spit that shit, and it just sounded so amatuerish, it just was'nt working for me, but without pen & paper it works...
KLIION JENSEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 10:22 PM   #12
Sinapse
Hip Hop aholic

Sinapse five deadly venomsSinapse five deadly venomsSinapse five deadly venomsSinapse five deadly venomsSinapse five deadly venomsSinapse five deadly venomsSinapse five deadly venomsSinapse five deadly venomsSinapse five deadly venomsSinapse five deadly venoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLIION JENSEN View Post
its not really, i think this the first time i've agreed with Ghostlaced on something, it's about the rapping, the way the words fit the beat & how they sound with the beat..

on the for real, i written like one/uno verse in nearly 3 years, but made shitloads of songs, basically i come up with a word or phrase to start the verse (forget about the beat for now) then i reapeat that phrase over & over, in my head or outloud until the next line comes, & repeat the exercise until i got a verse & then again until i got a song, i dont need to have a beat playing to do this, you aint always gonna have the means to have a beat playing, so you can't rely on a beat, and you aint always gonna have a pen & paper handy either, so i got rid of the pen & paper......another reason for losing the pen & paper is because, when i actually write/wrote lyrics down, i have a specific way of doing it & when it came to recording i'd be concentrating where the words are on the paper - cos thats how i wrote it, even if i knew the words by heart i'd still have the image of the paper in my head........so i got rid of the image, and kept the sound......and for me personally, i dunno about anyone else, but it feels more comfortable to spit when you dont have the paper in front of you, & i dont stumble over my words as much as i used to.................as far as the beat, i walk everywhere i go, & when i'm walking i tend to think alot, & lyrics are the main subject of thought, & i dont have a ipod or anything, so usually to get timing for the lyrics, i use my footsteps as a metronome, that way i can put my lyrics to any beat, and they aint restricted to just one flow.

the one verse that i actually wrote on paper in the past 3 years, i wrote it about 2 months ago, and i tried to spit that shit, and it just sounded so amatuerish, it just was'nt working for me, but without pen & paper it works...
Right...I'm saying that the rapping is important too, but to say that writing isn't important sounds weird to me...i mean i could freestyle non-cohesive shit over a beat and it could sound great over the beat and match the beat perfectly, yet be shallow drivel.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:44 PM   #13
Sinapse
Hip Hop aholic

I wonder what the likes of GZA, Rakim and Canibus would think about someone saying that it ain't really about the writing, its only about the way the words fit the beat...lmao...
Old 10-15-2008, 10:53 PM   #14
KLIION JENSEN
PRODIGAL SUN

KLIION JENSEN drunken mastaKLIION JENSEN drunken mastaKLIION JENSEN drunken masta

Quote:
Right...I'm saying that the rapping is important too, but to say that writing isn't important sounds weird to me...i mean i could freestyle non-cohesive shit over a beat and it could sound great over the beat and match the beat perfectly, yet be shallow drivel.

i'm not saying its not important, but i also never said i freestyle non-cohesive shallow drivel over a beat though did i ?? when its time to record, i dont just stand in front of a mic & spit whatever comes to my head, if i'm recording a full song, i'll already have the lyrics in my head, 3 verses & some choruses, of coherant sometimes rather deep sense, sometimes it might not make sense to you the listener, but the depth i'm at i would'nt expect it to make sense.....i might take weeks working on a song, shit, i got a song right now that just needs 8 bars to finish it off and i been working on it since april......i'm tryna perfect what i do & the way i do it, and right now thats no pen & paper....technically, I DON'T WRITE LYRICS, but i put just as much effort into a song as you do, maybe more who knows.....the quickest i've worked was 2 nights ago, 16 bars, 30 minutes to come with the lyrics, 10 minutes to get em fitting perfect with the beat, recorded in 2 takes (the first take got interrupted by a phone call), then a take for backing vocals......aswell, you gotta remember that i'm 31 & i been doing this since i was 11, so i've had alot of practice
Old 10-15-2008, 10:55 PM   #15
KLIION JENSEN
PRODIGAL SUN

Quote:
I wonder what the likes of GZA, Rakim and Canibus would think about someone saying that it ain't really about the writing, its only about the way the words fit the beat...lmao...
nobody said "its ONLY about the way the words fit", for someone who likes to write alot, you dont really read too good do you ??