news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Wu-Tang Chamber

Old 11-14-2008, 02:10 AM   #1
nelly13

nelly13 shaolin monk
Default ODB's Mom Talks About Son's Legacy; Speaks Out Against Wife, New Book

On the anniversary of Wu-Tang co-founder Ol’ Dirty Bastard’s death, his mother Cherry Jones is speaking out about the infighting and controversy that continues to surround her son, even in death.

In an exclusive statement to AllHipHop.com, Mrs. Jones sought to dispel the numerous reports that have appeared about the care of ODB’s children since his untimely death in 2004.

According to the grieving mother and concerned grandmother, the majority of the fallen rapper’s children have been disregarded as a result to poor money management at the hand of her daughter-in-law Icelene, who was married to Dirty at the time of his death.

Her actions, Jones says, have left the impression that Ol’ Dirty Bastard, born Russell T. Jones, did not make the proper provisions for his many children.

“My son loved every single one of his children and every single one of their mothers and provided for them all the best he could when he was alive,” Mrs. Jones told AllHipHop.com. “My son was an extremely generous soul. I am upset by the way the other children Rusty had fathered and cherished are not being taken care of properly. I am also outraged that it appears Icelene has been diverting money away from the other children and taking out personal loans against estate assets. ”

Mrs. Jones further alleged that Icelene, with whom she has not had the most cordial relationship, has taken numerous legal actions to block the release of Ol’ Dirty Bastard’s final album.

The recording, which Dirty was working on at the time of his fatal collapse in a Manhattan studio, was to be his first release via Roc-a-Fella records, and will now be released via Koch records.

Proceeds from the album would go to the rapper’s estate, which would then distribute the funds to his children.

Mrs. Jones also revealed that Digging for Dirt, the new biography penned by writer Jaime Lowe, was not authorized by the family.

She claimed that the family had specifically asked Lowe to omit information gathered during an interview with ODB, shortly before his death.

“After my son passed, this author, who knew my son for only a few hours, decided to write a book and asked [us] to take part in it,” recounted Mrs. Jones. “We declined and asked that she not write about any of the interview that was not published in the [Village] Voice. I am asking all of Dirty's fans to boycott this book as none of the proceeds are going to the children and this author’s motives and intention seems to be in the vein of disgracing my son’s legacy.”

Ol’ Dirty Bastard was pronounced dead around 6:30 pm on November 13, 2004, approximately one hour after collapsing at the old Wu-Tan Clan studio on West 34th Street in New York City.

He had been complaining of chest pains.

An autopsy report released a month later revealed that he had suffered an accidental overdose due to a lethal mixture of cocaine and the prescription painkiller Tramadol.

He would have celebrated his 40th birthday today (November 13.)
nelly13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:12 AM   #2
Jammin
Veteran Member

Jammin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Jammin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Jammin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Jammin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Jammin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Jammin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Jammin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Jammin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Jammin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Jammin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Jammin Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Nov 13 2008 7:29 PM EST
Ol' Dirty Bastard's Mom Remembers Her Son On The Anniversary Of His Death
'Four years ago today marks one of the most tragic days in my life,' Cherry Jones tells MTV News.

By Shaheem Reid
Views 1,380
Comments 2
Rating 100%
Rate this article

* Thumbs up
* Thumbs down

Add to my Profile
Sign In/Sign Up

Votes
Sign In/Sign Up
Permalink Share Flag
Adult Hate Spam Other
* Print
* ShareThis

Ten years ago, Ol' Dirty Bastard got onstage at the Grammy Awards unannounced and took the microphone for one of the most spontaneous and memorable moments in music history. All he wanted to do was tell the world that he and the Wu-Tang Clan loved the children — and that they deserved a golden statue.

According to ODB's mom, Cherry Jones, if the rapper were alive today, he might have tried to crash another event: Barack Obama's victory rally.

"I know my son would have been at that rally in Chicago when the first African-American president was elected, and I'm sure he would have gone up onstage and grabbed the microphone as only he could," Jones said in an e-mail sent to MTV News Thursday (November 13).

ODB died November 13, 2004, four years ago today, and his mother is still grieving the loss of her son. Jones told MTV News that there is unrest in the family because of financial disputes between her and ODB's widow, Icelene.

"Four years ago today marks one of the most tragic days in my life, when I lost my son 'Rusty,' whom many of you know as Ol' Dirty Bastard," the e-mail read. "For the past four years, I have sat back and watched certain individuals try and tarnish my son's beliefs. My son loved every single one of his children and every single one of their mothers and provided for them all the best he could when he was alive. My son was an extremely generous soul.

"Lastly, today is a very sad day not only for me, but for my entire family, including Dirty's father and his siblings and children," she concluded. "I will always love my son Rusty, and I will always make sure all of his children are taken care of."

Before his untimely demise, ODB had recorded an album for Roc-A-Fella Records called A Son Unique, which included collaborations with the Neptunes, State Property, Ludacris, Macy Gray, Fat Joe and Wu-Tang, among others. The opus was planned for a 2005 release but has never seen the light of day. Koch Records had recently picked up the rights to distribute the project, but due to ligation with ODB's family, the album is shelved, wrapped in red tape.

Author Jaime Lowe just put out the autobiography "Digging for Dirt: The Life and Death of ODB." Cherry Jones vehemently stated that she does not endorse the book.
Comment On This Article

Join up for a free account or log in if you are already a member.
Comments on this Article2

flag
close
Flag Comment
* Adult
* Hate
* Spam
* Other
photo
pat518 (11.14.08 | 8:47 AM)

It is a sad day for his mother because she loved him and loved him but God loved him more he is in a resting place now.
flag
close
Flag Comment
* Adult
* Hate
* Spam
* Other
photo
TES (11.14.08 | 7:35 AM)

that's nice to hear

‹ Previous Next ›

Ol' Dirty Bastard jumps on stage during the 1998 Grammy's

Ol' Dirty Bastard jumps on stage during the 1998 Grammy's

Photo: CBS
Related Videos

Posted 11/13/08 0 0%
play icon Ol' Dirty Bastard Crashes The Grammy Stage

Ol' Dirty Bastard Crashes The Grammy Stage
Jammin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:13 AM   #3
11th Chamber
Are U Watching Closely?

11th Chamber fist of fury11th Chamber fist of fury11th Chamber fist of fury11th Chamber fist of fury11th Chamber fist of fury11th Chamber fist of fury11th Chamber fist of fury11th Chamber fist of fury11th Chamber fist of fury11th Chamber fist of fury11th Chamber fist of fury

yea u kno she's gonna put RZA on blast
11th Chamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:13 AM   #4
SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
AKA THE PROTO-CHAOS

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

man wtf they hurting dis man's legacy c'mon put this guys album make some profit something

NON IGNORANT...

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS is offline   Reply With Quote