news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > The Sports Zone

Old 09-05-2005, 01:25 PM   #1
Yung Fizzle 07
Da King

Yung Fizzle 07 grasshopper
Default Jerry Rice is officialy retired

yup

Quote:
DENVER (AP) -- Unwilling to be a bit player with the Broncos, Jerry Rice retired Monday, closing a 20-year career for the most productive receiver in NFL history.

Rice, 42, made his decision over the weekend at home in San Francisco, then returned to Broncos headquarters and met with coach Mike Shanahan. He played 20 NFL seasons.

``This is a happy day,'' he said. ``I think the tears that you see basically is that I have really enjoyed this ride.''

Shanahan confirmed what Rice already knew -- that he would be a fourth or fifth receiver, at best this season -- and Rice confirmed what many figured -- that he would rather call it quits than be a bit player with the Broncos.

Rice signed with Denver over the summer, reuniting with Shanahan, who was his offensive coordinator in the 1990s in San Francisco. For Rice, the idea was to play for a coach who was familiar with him and for a team that could help him go out a winner.

Shanahan made it clear he would not promise Rice anything, not even a roster spot. Behind the scenes, though, Shanahan said he knew it would never come down to him having to cut the league's best all-time receiver: He figured if Rice knew it was time to go, he would step aside himself.

Early in training camp, Rice moved into Denver's third receiver spot and things looked promising. In retrospect, the promotion was more a reflection on Darius Watts, who struggled catching the ball, but improved as the preseason went on.

By the time preseason ended, Rice had only four catches for 24 yards and had been pushed back down the depth chart. As expected, he wasn't released when the Broncos announced their final round of cuts Saturday, but he was already in the Bay Area deciding his future.

His agent, Jim Steiner, has said if Rice retired this time, he would not try to come back with another team. If that's so, Rice will close his career with 38 NFL records, including those for career receptions (1,549), yards receiving (22,895) and touchdowns receiving (197).

Yung Fizzle 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 03:09 PM   #2
ballistic
Mihdisiatic Mythocracy

ballistic crouching tiger
Send a message via AIM to ballistic
Default Re: Jerry Rice is officialy retired

much respect due to Jerry Rice...they should retire his number not just for the 49ers, not just for the whole NFL, but for every league on every level in the country...that's how much this man has done in his two decades as the greatest receiver ever. good luck to him...

ballistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 04:43 PM   #3
num2son
Kung Fu Alter Ego

num2son five deadly venomsnum2son five deadly venomsnum2son five deadly venomsnum2son five deadly venomsnum2son five deadly venomsnum2son five deadly venomsnum2son five deadly venomsnum2son five deadly venomsnum2son five deadly venoms
Send a message via AIM to num2son Send a message via MSN to num2son Send a message via Yahoo to num2son

I hope he signs a one day contract win the niners so he can retire a legendary 49er.

I remember him always burning my cowboys back in the 49er days.
num2son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 05:04 PM   #4
Bodega Pop Tartz
Don't grab my jacket dunn

Bodega Pop Tartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Bodega Pop Tartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Bodega Pop Tartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Bodega Pop Tartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Bodega Pop Tartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Bodega Pop Tartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Bodega Pop Tartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Bodega Pop Tartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Bodega Pop Tartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Bodega Pop Tartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Bodega Pop Tartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via AIM to Bodega Pop Tartz

damn.....
Bodega Pop Tartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 06:10 PM   #5
ch-chef
Veteran Member

ch-chef shaolin monk

they keep sayin he retired so he could go out on his own, by his own choice...yeah right, if he was 3rd string and not 4th he would of stayed right there but he cant see himself sittin the bench...thats there terms not jerry's...at least we can get on with the nfl now and kill this rice noise....bye muh fucka, yeah your great....well were great now your just old....shoulda quit after the raiders superbowl.
ch-chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 06:43 PM   #6
Treazon
A Threat to the State

Treazon crouching tiger
Send a message via AIM to Treazon Send a message via MSN to Treazon

^^lol your talking like Jerry owes you somethin... show some respect

and to that other guy, they cant just retire the number 80 even in the whole NFL thats a widely used number...and its not like they retired 34, or 21, or 56, or any other number from legacy players. Sure Rice is the best reciever to ever play pro football, but he's not the greatest player to play pro football.

anybody wanna dig up the consecutive games with catches records he holds? i remember it ended last year, maybe year before last im not sure...

Treazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 07:12 PM   #7
ballistic
Mihdisiatic Mythocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treazon

and to that other guy, they cant just retire the number 80 even in the whole NFL thats a widely used number...and its not like they retired 34, or 21, or 56, or any other number from legacy players. Sure Rice is the best reciever to ever play pro football, but he's not the greatest player to play pro football.
exactly, its a pervasive number, so that would show all the more respect to rice...anyways, only players who have #80 are receivers, so it would make sense. beyond the nfl is a a stretch,i admit, but within the league i think it would be a good idea. of course it might set a precedent for all great players to have their numbers exclusively retired, but i dont think there willl be many players of rice's caliber anytime soon.

Old 09-05-2005, 07:47 PM   #8
ch-chef
Veteran Member

ch-chef shaolin monk

Quote:
^^lol your talking like Jerry owes you somethin... show some respect

anybody wanna dig up the consecutive games with catches records he holds? i remember it ended last year, maybe year before last im not sure...
owes me something?

fuck jerry rice, how that for your respect? u dont have to respect athletes when they dont play for your squad....u hate them. best wr or not.
ch-chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 09:21 PM   #9
Treazon
A Threat to the State

Treazon crouching tiger
Send a message via AIM to Treazon Send a message via MSN to Treazon

lol @ this fool not respecting jerry rice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballistic
but i dont think there willl be many players of rice's caliber anytime soon.[
consider LaDanian Tomlinson...#21...know any other notable #21 running backs?
if LT ends his career like he's started it then will he deserve his number being retired, or will Barry Sanders get it, and LT will have to switch? its just way too complicated to ever happen. sure it would show an amazing amount of respect, but its just unrealistic.

peace

Treazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 10:53 PM   #10
Bedlam
Making cream

Bedlam shaolin monk
Send a message via AIM to Bedlam

Finally

He should have retired after the Raiders went to the Super Bowl, that wouldve been a much more suitable ending than being the 5th WR on the Broncos. He was too confident in himself, now he's going out like any average NFL player, not good enough to make the 1st team.

He is the GOAT at WR though
Old 09-05-2005, 11:03 PM   #11
ballistic
Mihdisiatic Mythocracy

Quote:
lol @ this fool not respecting jerry rice...

consider LaDanian Tomlinson...#21...know any other notable #21 running backs?
if LT ends his career like he's started it then will he deserve his number being retired, or will Barry Sanders get it, and LT will have to switch? its just way too complicated to ever happen. sure it would show an amazing amount of respect, but its just unrealistic.

peace
yeah, point taken...it would be a bit more feasible in this case though, since rice is pretty much universally considered to be the greatest receivers of all time, with hardly any detractors or naysayers. but yeah, i dont expect it to happen.

Old 09-06-2005, 06:45 AM   #12
Unforgiven
Bloodsport

Unforgiven grasshopper
Send a message via MSN to Unforgiven

no doubt, the man was a fucking star his career...except for that nightmare his first few years but he did his thing but its too bad, rich gagnon/kerry collins to jerry rice/randy moss woulda been silly lol

-ThaShaolinAssassin
Unforgiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 12:29 PM   #13
cutthroat

cutthroat grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by num2son
I hope he signs a one day contract win the niners so he can retire a legendary 49er.

I remember him always burning my cowboys back in the 49er days.
Man, you're not lying. I'm a Cowboys fan too, so I hated the 49ers. You can't deny greatness though, he's the GOAT hands down.
cutthroat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 02:09 PM   #14
the8stricker

the8stricker grasshopper

I have mad love for Rice's accomplishments. I had created a thread about his free agency a couple of months back.

Anyway, he ended his career as one of the top players ever.

Jerry Rice = The Goat

Harlem's Finest
the8stricker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 02:11 PM   #15
Big Bad Man
Mr Wuniverse

Big Bad Man grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by the8stricker
I have mad love for Rice's accomplishments. I had created a thread about his free agency a couple of months back.

Anyway, he ended his career as a one of the top players ever.

Jerry Rice = The Goat
I mind the thread well. Peace to the GOAT of all recievers.

Big Bad Man is offline   Reply With Quote