news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Wu-Tang Chamber > Album Reviews

View Poll Results: grandmasters
classic 30 30.00%
superior 38 38.00%
banger 19 19.00%
solid 7 7.00%
good 4 4.00%
average 2 2.00%
subpar 0 0%
mediocre 0 0%
poor 0 0%
wack 0 0%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-25-2008, 03:46 PM   #211
-The A to the Z-
Veteran Member

-The A to the Z- iron monkey-The A to the Z- iron monkey-The A to the Z- iron monkey-The A to the Z- iron monkey-The A to the Z- iron monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fero Blaque View Post
I don't know his level of participation on the end results
Right, DJ Muggs=50%
GZA=45%
Guests=5%

The sucka produced the whole album, cool.
-The A to the Z- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:23 PM   #212
Krimewave
Swollen Member

Krimewave iron monkeyKrimewave iron monkeyKrimewave iron monkeyKrimewave iron monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fero Blaque View Post
I only just recently copped this album.. and I never liked "DJ Muggs" and I don't know his level of participation on the end results but this CD sound really balanced. A real tied together product without a glitch really.. very smooth. You know with alot of albums you're listening to a compilation of songs.. quite logically.

But these tracks, although quite different from eachother with a few exceptions, really sound like one big whole. Really dope shit is on this.. alot of knowledge 'n dreadfull calmth like "Raekwon - Fly Shawty Penelope" on "The Vatican Mixtape Vol. 2" .. you feel me ? Some storytelling joints you automatically take for granted because "GZA" spits only truth and realness.

This is not a review but i'm just telling you how underrated this is.. not everyone has heard of It and that's not that strange but they should give it a listen. A very complete package with that raw hip-hop sound while it's very clean and smooth.. that's quite an art haha. Anyone who picked it up here liked it ? It has some memorable tracks on It !
no doubt, one of the best albums of the last few years imo
Old 04-25-2008, 04:28 PM   #213
LuckyTheWonderDog
Peace to the god(zilla)

LuckyTheWonderDog five deadly venomsLuckyTheWonderDog five deadly venomsLuckyTheWonderDog five deadly venomsLuckyTheWonderDog five deadly venomsLuckyTheWonderDog five deadly venomsLuckyTheWonderDog five deadly venomsLuckyTheWonderDog five deadly venomsLuckyTheWonderDog five deadly venomsLuckyTheWonderDog five deadly venomsLuckyTheWonderDog five deadly venoms

I still think they got the mixing and mastering off on this. Great beats and lyrics, but it sounds muddled at times. On General Principles for instance GZA sounds lost in the beat.

Click HERE for free mp3 compilations (inc. rare tracks) from:

J Dilla, MF Grimm, Mr. Lif, Poetic aka Grym Reaper, Kool G Rap, RA the Rugged Man, Shabazz, Hell Razah, Timbo King, Jus Allah, Warcloud, Breeze Brewin, Kid Capri, Count Bass D, Insight and more...
LuckyTheWonderDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:25 PM   #214
cboals

cboals shaolin monk

pitchfork wrote a nice piece on grandmasters in the column about albums that slipped through the cracks.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/articl...h-the-cracks-4
cboals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:41 PM   #215
King Tron 1
Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo

King Tron 1 five deadly venomsKing Tron 1 five deadly venomsKing Tron 1 five deadly venomsKing Tron 1 five deadly venomsKing Tron 1 five deadly venomsKing Tron 1 five deadly venomsKing Tron 1 five deadly venomsKing Tron 1 five deadly venoms

I find that most songs on this album that are lacking, sound better on the remix album.

King Tron 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:50 PM   #216
rich gannon

rich gannon shaolin monk

i listened to it 3 or 4 times when it came out but none since...no replay value at all. IMO
rich gannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:20 PM   #217
whitey
Wu Vatican

whitey Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)whitey Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)whitey Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)whitey Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)whitey Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)whitey Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)whitey Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)whitey Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)whitey Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)whitey Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)whitey Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

ya i wasn't terribly impressed by it. i mean i liked it when it came out. but i dont really spin it much these days. a bit boring. no tremendous standouts on here. but nothing really weak, or anything even close to it.

but muggz is that dude. i like practically everything hes done from cypress to the sick jacken and everything inbetween. waitin on that planet asia (or is that already out yet?)
The earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.

People are too stupid to effectively conspire to do anything, but not too stupid to come up with conspiracy theories.
whitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 09:03 PM   #218
Guarded By Martyrs
"ALL1stVERSE ALL1stVERSE"

Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Guarded By Martyrs Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinx View Post
I still think they got the mixing and mastering off on this. Great beats and lyrics, but it sounds muddled at times. On General Principles for instance GZA sounds lost in the beat.
I thought this as well...

Great Album though

Guarded By Martyrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 03:39 AM   #219
Sgt Holly Wood
armynavyairforcemarines

Sgt Holly Wood drunken mastaSgt Holly Wood drunken masta
Send a message via AIM to Sgt Holly Wood

solid lp

gza dropped some crazy lyrics on this shit, beats didnt do much for me though.. some were good

id give it a 7.5
Sgt Holly Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 01:25 PM   #220
MAYOR QUIMBY
Veteran Member

MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)MAYOR QUIMBY Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

The beats become annoying and it's definately not one of those albums you can listen to over and over again. I voted "GOOD"
MAYOR QUIMBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 02:47 PM   #221
Surreptitious
Above the Clouds

Surreptitious prodigal sonSurreptitious prodigal sonSurreptitious prodigal sonSurreptitious prodigal sonSurreptitious prodigal sonSurreptitious prodigal son

Thia album is so dope, its where Gza found his flow again, bangin beats, swagger flow, dope lyrics 9.5/10, General Principle is a song that makes me truly love hip-hop
Old 05-22-2008, 04:47 AM   #222
Maccabee Ridah
penalty boxed user

Maccabee Ridah iron monkeyMaccabee Ridah iron monkeyMaccabee Ridah iron monkeyMaccabee Ridah iron monkeyMaccabee Ridah iron monkey

I did not like thiz album at all, it's just under GZA's lv, i do not like it at all.....

5/10
Maccabee Ridah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:51 PM   #223
claaa7
Killer Bob

claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

damn i'm bumping this album again for the first time in a long time and i gotta say that it's way better than "Pro Tools". production is really tight and Muggs bring a bunch of beats that all connect to eachother, following the same formula which makes the songs stand out like a real album. this is one of those joints that you play from beginning to end without skipping a joint.

a lot of people complained about GZA sounding sleepy on this one I remember but I think he got a tight delivery on "Grandmasters", much better than on "Pro Tools". Great beats, great lyrics performed well with all dope guest spots make for a dope album and there is even the Ol' Dirty tribute song.

8.5/10

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!
claaa7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 10:02 PM   #224
the insignificant
SLIMEY SAVAGE

the insignificant shaolin monk

biggest complaint is that there were too many guest appearances... the concept of the album is one emcee, one producer... i think guests should have been limited to the chorus... also, what was the point of having all wu guests on a muggs produced album? they could've branched out more...

muggs' beats get a little repetitve to me... overall the the album ranges from 3.5-4.5/5 on different days...
the insignificant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 11:11 PM   #225
Bodega Pop Tartz
Don't grab my jacket dunn

Bodega Pop Tartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Bodega Pop Tartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Bodega Pop Tartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Bodega Pop Tartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Bodega Pop Tartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Bodega Pop Tartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Bodega Pop Tartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Bodega Pop Tartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Bodega Pop Tartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Bodega Pop Tartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Bodega Pop Tartz Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Send a message via AIM to Bodega Pop Tartz

Hollow Dartz Review....

1.Intro

2.Those That's Bout It
This was one of the first songs leaked on the album. The beat is pretty solid for a first track. I think Dj Muggs takes the backseat on this one due to Gza's lyrics standing out on here. He shows he stills has it on the mic and the fact that he is calm on the beat just fits perfectly. The hook is a favorite on here "Those who doubt it, on the mic get done with" This is a banger right here. 4/5

3.Destruction of a Guard
This is an ok track. Nice to hear Raekwon on the hook although I think a verse from him would've made this track better. Gza is spitting his detective rap on here, the beat by Muggs is ok, beat switch at the end was cool. 3.5/5

4.Expliotation of Mistakes
This is a very boring track. Gza is once again spitting his detective rap. The beat on here was pretty good but Gza kills it on here with his delivery. It sounds like he's forced to rhyme on here and he's bored. I didn't like the way this one turned out at all this had more potential than presented. 3/5

5.General Principles
This is a pretty good track. Beat by Muggs is on point. Gza comes through once again with the lyrics. His 2nd verse is very good, he came through on that one. On another note the video for this track is pretty good. This is a pretty solid track. This track is a pretty good collaboration between the two. 4/5

6.Advance Pawns
What can I say about this one? Well the beat is cool for starters. Rza actually comes through on here with some tight lyrics. Gza is very solid on here, Raekwon smashed it on here he should've got some more time on the mic though. This is a pretty good track. Nice to hear clan members on one track like this. 4/5

7.Queen's Gambit
This is another one of those Gza "name game" joints. He uses the NFL on here. This is pretty good too. A story about him meeting some females, and at the end he's fucking them. The beat is pretty tight and laid back. Gza always delivers on tracks like these from what I've heard so far. The wordplay is great. 4/5

8.All In Togther Now
This is the O.D.B. tribute track right here. I won't comment too much on it.
3.5/5

9.Unstoppable Threats
This is one of the very few times Gza gets outshined by his guests. Not saying Gza was wack on here, but when Prodigal comes in you forget all about Gza being on this track. He flows on here crazy and brings some tight rhymes to the table. Masta Killa also comes through with his smooth flow and rips this joint. Beat is just right for this one. I like riding out to this one on a late night. 4/5

10.Unprotected Pieces
Not feeling this track right here. Pretty boring all around on here. I won't speak anymore on this one. 3/5

11.Illusory Protection
This is an good track. I'm feeling the beat on here Muggs standsout on here. Gza is pretty solid on here as he has been throughout the whole album, Only two verses though, they were pretty great though. That beat that Gza is talking on at the end is pretty dope, he should've spit off that shit too. 4/5

12.Smothered Mate
At first I wasn't feeling this one right here but this grew on me alot. Gza is spitting some ill shit on here, and the beat is on some finale shit. This is pretty good. A nice way to end the album. 4/5

Beats - 4/5
Lyrics - 4/5
Overall - 4/5

This album has grown on me alot. AT first I wasn't feeling too much of this album. The only problem I have on here wouuld be some of the beats get repititive a tad bit and Gza does sound bored on some of these tracks. But Overall I think this is one solid release. I think they both came through and collaborated well with each other.
****Overall 4/5****
Bodega Pop Tartz is offline   Reply With Quote