news
wu-tang clan
bio's
media
store
blogs
forum
contact

Go Back   Wu-Tang Corp. - Official Site of the Wu-Tang Clan > The Elements > Hip-Hop Shop

Old 03-17-2009, 02:46 AM   #1
claaa7
Killer Bob

claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)claaa7 Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)
Default Grand Puba planning new album, signs with BabyGrande

Good news, hopefully it's another banger like "Reel to Reel" and "2000". anybody heard his last album from 2001, heard some bad things about it but have yet to check it for myself:

Quote:
After releasing Brand Nubian's last album, 2004's Fire In The Hole, and Lord Jamar's [click to read] 2006 solo debut, The 5 Percent Album [click to read], New York's Babygrande Records will play home to group front-man Grand Puba, for the emcee's fourth album, Retroactive.

The New Rochelle, New York veteran emcee began his career as a member of Masters Of Ceremony, before finding great success for 15 years alongside Sadat X, Jamar and DJ Alamo as Brand Nubian. The quartet supplied Hip Hop fans with such hits as "Slow Down" and "Step To The Rear," as well as seminal abrasive classic "Punks Jump Up To Get Beat Down" and evocative single "Love Me Or Leave Me Alone."

Grand Puba Maxwell was one of the first emcees, along with Scarface, to chase solo success while existing in a thriving group. His 1992 album Reel To Reel was acclaimed, while 1995's Jazz and Philadelphia Soul-inspired 2000 prompted the hit "I Like It." Eight years ago, Puba released Understand This, and has remained relatively quiet in the years since.

In 2005, Puba did make two major label appearances on both Missy Elliot's The Cookbook and Beanie Sigel's The B. Coming albums.

Babygrande's CEO Chuck Wilson said, "Grand Puba is the father to so many styles in hip-hop. Its good to have him back--the game needs him. We have a great relationship with Brand Nubian and we had so much success with Lord Jamar's solo release in 2006 that it only makes sense to keep it in the family."

No information was yet given for Retroactive, but the release is promised for June 23.

daily updates: news, articles, reviews, the best compilations on the net. that true skool street hop!

r.i.p. Johan D, Kaddu, Ricke a.k.a. "Slick Rick" and the rest of the fallen soldiers - you'll never be forgotten!
claaa7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 04:44 AM   #2
Paranoid
Venom

Paranoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of furyParanoid fist of fury

cool
Old 03-17-2009, 04:57 AM   #3
Memory Man
Studio Gangster

Memory Man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Memory Man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Memory Man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Memory Man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Memory Man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Memory Man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Memory Man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Memory Man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Memory Man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Memory Man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Memory Man Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

it's weird that they didn't know that puba wasn't in brand nubian for in god we trust and reel to reel.
Memory Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:18 AM   #4
Edgar Erebus
Munching eyes since 1989

Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Edgar Erebus Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

^^ They probably just left it out for the sake of style.

Didn't Bronze Nazareth say something about Babygrande being a shit label?
"The Devil is not the Prince of Matter; the Devil is the arrogance of the spirit, faith without smile, truth that is never seized by doubt. The Devil is grim because he knows where he is going, and, in moving, he always returns whence he came."
Edgar Erebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:14 AM   #5
TAURO
El Don of this shit

TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)TAURO Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

^^M80 did.

"I pledge allegiance to the hip hop"
Method Man
TAURO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:44 AM   #6
Tecknowledgist
PUTYOMONEYWHEREYOMOUTHIZ

Tecknowledgist Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tecknowledgist Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tecknowledgist Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tecknowledgist Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tecknowledgist Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tecknowledgist Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tecknowledgist Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tecknowledgist Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tecknowledgist Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tecknowledgist Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tecknowledgist Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

so did JMT. they also put out All Fates Have Changed without Jus Allah's permission and did a mashup album of Jean Grae and Blue Sky Black Death without THEIR permisson
who knows what else.

i dont care about grand puba's money though, so as long as the music is good, it makes no difference to me haha
Tecknowledgist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:54 AM   #7
GhettoGnom
Veteran Member

GhettoGnom Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)GhettoGnom Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)GhettoGnom Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)GhettoGnom Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)GhettoGnom Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)GhettoGnom Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)GhettoGnom Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)GhettoGnom Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)GhettoGnom Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)GhettoGnom Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)GhettoGnom Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecknowledgist View Post
did a mashup album of Jean Grae and Blue Sky Black Death without THEIR permisson
I don't think it was a mashup album, I think it was just Jean Grae accapellas that Blue Sky put production on, and they released it without Jean Grae's involvement and permission..

It's easily her best album though, so yey for us!

GhettoGnom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 10:58 AM   #8
Ghost In The 'Lac
crushed out heavenly

Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Ghost In The 'Lac Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Grand Puba planning new album, signs with BabyGrande

Old 03-17-2009, 11:06 AM   #9
madchild
PRODIGAL SUN

madchild iron monkeymadchild iron monkeymadchild iron monkeymadchild iron monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by From Babygrande board
Almighty:

S.I.N. came out in July 08 and have sold 2,221 to date. They didnt know exact figures but between their advance and the commercials they ran on MTV2, at least $15,000 was spent. They lost money.

Wisemen:

"Wisemen Approaching" came out in Feb 07 and have sold 3,311 to date. They lost money.

Bronze Nazareth:

Great Migration came out in April 06 and has sold 8,641 to date and the with advance given to both the artist and Think Differently and what they spent in total on the record, they lost money. They also said that due to legal complications, this record was removed from itunes by Apple and that really hurt sales.

They said the big problem with all of these numbers is that today, all of these artists will sell half of what they did on the last album because of piracy and retail store closings. They said that the advances in their contracts for future albums were locked in the contracts at such a high level that it made no economic sense to keep putting out records.

Lastly, they said that Babygrande more than any other label in the last five years has given new artists a shot (all of the albums above were debut retail albums) and that, while they are no means perfect, their claims of impropriety and poor handling of their records are "preposterous." I asked was CW upset about what they are saying and they said not at all and that "disgruntled artists are part of the game, especially when records are not selling like they used to."

Hope that info helps.
madchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:12 PM   #10
Stikee Fingerz

Stikee Fingerz crouching tigerStikee Fingerz crouching tiger

Reel To Reel is the only album I consider from him. That production was exquisite and had that vintage early 90's analog sound, along with classic Brand Nubian flow. I don't want that to change, but it will, therefore this album WILL suck ass.

Stikee Fingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:35 PM   #11
Tecknowledgist
PUTYOMONEYWHEREYOMOUTHIZ

Tecknowledgist Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tecknowledgist Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tecknowledgist Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tecknowledgist Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tecknowledgist Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tecknowledgist Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tecknowledgist Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tecknowledgist Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tecknowledgist Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tecknowledgist Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)Tecknowledgist Iron Lungs (Fists of Legend)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhettoGnom View Post
I don't think it was a mashup album, I think it was just Jean Grae accapellas that Blue Sky put production on, and they released it without Jean Grae's involvement and permission..

It's easily her best album though, so yey for us!
yeah sorry, thats what i meant haha
Tecknowledgist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:40 PM   #12
CharlesJones
penalty boxed user

CharlesJones five deadly venomsCharlesJones five deadly venomsCharlesJones five deadly venomsCharlesJones five deadly venomsCharlesJones five deadly venomsCharlesJones five deadly venomsCharlesJones five deadly venomsCharlesJones five deadly venomsCharlesJones five deadly venomsCharlesJones five deadly venoms

I agree with Stikee Fingers. Grand Puba's new album is probably gonna suck because of the beats. Reel To Reel is the only album i like from him. I haven't heard Understand This album but i'll check it later but i got a feeling he got some wack beats on there. Wack beats is the problem i had with his 2000 album.
CharlesJones is offline   Reply With Quote